“Tranquil place. Great Setting”
Review of Solmar Resort

Solmar Resort
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 5 April 2006

We bought a timeshare at Solmar 14 years ago when Cabo was a much different place. Despite the amazing changes in Cabo, Solmar is basically the same. The setting is wonderful. A really beautiful place and always kept extremely clean. Housekeeping staff is great and I can actually say service has improved somewhat in that area. We had twice daily maid service and room service was prompt and reasonably priced.

If you love to hang by the pool and sip drinks you couldn't find a better place. Pool is never crowded and pool bar is fun with an amazing ocean view. Whale watching is easy right from the beach and you can watch the cruise ships go by. (beach is not swimmable)

Walk into town is easy (if you wear good shoes and are in any kind of reasonable physical condition)and safe although I've always been in a group and have not done it past about 10pm. If your not feeling energetic cab ride to anywhere in town is only $6 and cabs are easy to get.

Timeshare sales pressure can get old. They tried the "free upgrade to Playa Grande" with us at check in. We simply refused--very firmly--and they backed off. I think it helped that I had a copy of my RCI exchange with me. We rebuffed the timeshare sales women immediately and never heard from her again. You just need to be firm.

Service in restaurant has always been average at best and food is about the same. They are doing more buffets to combat the problem which is OK if you like buffets. We eat at the hotel if time is a constraint or if we are too tired to go out. Otherwise there are too many great restaurants in Cabo to eat at the hotel. Try Mama's Cafe for great breakfasts.

Solmar's mariache is the best in Cabo. If you get the chance invite the guys to sing a few. They've been doing it for many years.

If you like a laid-back, unpretentious, smaller place, no crowds, a nearly deserted spectacular beach, and an amazing natural rock setting, choose Solmar.

Their sport fishing fleet is one of the best in Cabo and can be easily arranged at the hotel.

We have never had any trouble with security at the hotel. No thefts, no trouble with our billing or credit card. Don't think you have to worry about that at Solmar.

I would return to Solmar. We've stayed there about 7 times. However, I am not in a rush to get back to Cabo. Growth is really out of hand and I think it is time to find a less discovered town. If you've never been there--you'll have a great time. I'd just recommend avoiding the timeshare thing.

• Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank buckeye1111

Reviewed 12 March 2006

My husband and I spent a week at Solmar in Feb 06 and were really happy with our stay - great location, private but close to a lot of activities - we rented a car this year, really important to get out and see the area - our room was fantastic, right on the beach, not fancy but very clean and comfortable - beach was beautiful, great for whale and seal watching - pool area was nice, service a bit slow, somewhat crouded at times - over all a great place to stay, without all the chaos of the larger hotels

5  Thank rjaustin926
MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA
Reviewed 8 March 2006

march 1st, arrived at solmar after a nonstop flight from mpls. 12:30 pm. walked up to the solmar front desk and the guy said we have upgraded you to our sister hotel. playa grande. up the hill. (sorry are you talking to me? ive been coming here since 1990)!senor, i have a confirmation and paid for this trip since november 2005. after many minutes of language exchanges. i asked can i use the phone? he said the phone you can't dial long distance OK!
lets go and look at our rooms up the hill, to the playa grande. so we moved our luggage of the four of us to the door and the bellboy said we have to wait for the shuttle(i thought why do they have a shuttle)?
RIGHT
i whistled for the next cab and told the cab driver (they, meaning solmar) can pay for the ride. we went to the desk at playa grande and the girl behind the desk ( said you are coming from where for a room)? they knew nothing about us being upgrading to there hotel? so we waited for them to call back down to the solmar, after twenty minutes we were taken to look at our rooms, which ended up facing some more rooms and construction going on below us.(forgot to tell you we booked two rooms, ocean view, second floor, next to each other). well,these rooms won't do, back down stairs in the golf cart to the front desk, they said thats all they have and thats not their problem OK
can i use your phone? sure over at the conastares desk. ok, i dialed long distance, international credit card and after four hours three hundred and ninety one dollars later, the solmar calls up to playa grande and guess what? they have two rooms available! GREAT!
as we are checking in to solmar, there are other couples checking in and i hear we have upgraded you to our sister hotel! and it starts again! with other customers, in fact, a guy and his wife showed up to check into their time share and they were told there was no rooms available! OOPS!
it was time for us to leave. the next five days were great, the front desk staff would just ignore us, sorry solmar, but i found another hotel, that wants our business and we will be staying there and recommending them and will be staying there from now on!
ps: this is a classic bait and switch and looking at other reviews on the web site. they have been doing this for a long time! why do you think they have a shuttle?

• Stayed: March 2006
31  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ashville NC
Reviewed 7 March 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Solmar and booked thru ---- last minute deals (826 pperson with air from Charlotte). It turned out it was thru RCI. We very much enjoyed our stay and particularly the private location away from the vendors. We hiked over to Lovers beach (not a bad hike if you have good legs)3-4 times. The beach was great with whales and dolphines. Short safe walk to Cabo. You can find reasonable priced restrauntes if you look, but some are pretty expensive for even american standards. Our room was clean, large, bed was firm and comfortable. Staff was very freindly. Food service was average, breakfast was great. Went into town for dinner. Not much night life at the hotel, but a good 2 for one happy hour 3p-5p dailly at the pools. Large well maintained hot tub and pool. very clean. Oh yeah, this is Mexico and not eveyone speaks English..imagine that.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 March 2006

WE arrived at the Solmar Feb 20 on an Apple Vacations package that included air/transfer and accommodation. We were booked for a oceanfront jr suite. Upon check in I presented our fully paid voucher for our room and was told they had no rooms and they were transfering us to the Playa Grande for 5 nights and then we would have to come back to Solmar for 2-period that was it. I was very upset and they did not care one bit.We have travelled all over Mexico, the carribbean, Hawaii and on numerous cruises and have never encountered a ruder down right nastier staff than at the Solmar. They were horrible. We had no choice but to gather our things and take the transfer to the Playa Grande. Although we did not have an ocean front room and the Playa it was very nice and we ended up staying there the entire time.
I am sure the Solmar is fine if you are a timeshare owner, RCI exchange or book directly with the hotel. However, I would not suggest booking this hotel through Orbitz, Expedia or a tour operator like Apple Vacations. The fully paid voucher that you will have in your hand means nothing to them and they could care less. It was almost like they found delight in upseting the beginning of our vacation.
We did let our experience at the Solmar go and had a wonderful time in Cabo as you can see from my review on the Cabo site.

19  Thank balletdancer
Mill Valley, CA
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I arrived at Solmar with my mother and two small children after a bad 2 and a half hour bus ride from the airport only to be told that my fully pre-paid room was not available. The hotel was so overbooked that they had been sending people next store to the Finesterra for days. I was not that upset about being bumped but I expected to be compensated for the trouble. I worked in the hotel industry and understand that these things can happen but the front desk sent me to the manager. He was unbelievably rude and said I was lucky I wasn't sleeping on the street-he took a phone call in the middle of our conversation and turned his back on me and refused to finish talking to me. We then waited 25 minutes for the hotel shuttle to move us next store. They wanted us to return the next day but we did not. The Finesterra was lovely and very accomodating to allow us to stay. I think the hotel has sold too many timeshares and cannot accomodate their guests. I would never suggest that anyone try this hotel.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 18 February 2006

Sol Mar was a wonderful resort. I can't believe some of the petty complaints about this location: no elevators, time-share hounds, hard beds, only one jacuzzi, minimal lighting in the bathrooms, old building. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? Are these actual complaints?! Sol Mar is in a perfect location on a PRIVATE BEACH, with the beautiful sound of crashing waves 24 hours a day and NO trinket sellers harassing you on the beach. Yes, the building is older, but it’s not tacky. If you can, REQUEST the older rooms that are on the cliff. They are on the edge of the beach and the ocean. Literally the last resort at the very end of the Baja Peninsula. Beautiful! I can see the disappointment if you are in the newer development that doesn't face the ocean. Those probably aren't as nice. And yes, as a former restaurant manager, the drink/food service was awful. Here's a solution: drink your beverages slow and order your next one 10 minutes before you need it. Problem solved. For those of you looking for a secluded resort, right on a PRIVATE BEACH, this is a great resort. If you are older, and want to be waited on hand and foot, try another location. 20-30 somethings, book your room by the cliffs NOW.

• Stayed: June 2005