“Only nice at night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sandpoint, ID
“Only nice at night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

What a killer location!

If not for the construction that begins around 7:00 am and doesn't stop till 7:00 pm I would easily consider this place on of the most serene places I've ever been. Sitting at the southern most tip of the Baja, it is a great location. Unfortunately they are building a mega resort which will be very nice but will also make it very busy with lots of people.

The food and alcohol I sampled there was extremely good but extremely expensive. Not quite right for a small hotel IMO. 6 bucks for a margharita and $4.50 for a beer was a bit much. Don't expect to even eat a small meal for less than $15.00. You can go for the $80/day all inclusive extra which includes Shrip & Lobster if you stay there the whole time.

The walk to downtown, while not far is a bit daunting if you want to go back and forth a bit. $6 to take a taxi though if you get tired. I would have loved to have gone downtown for every meal as there are very good places to eat but that's a lot of walking.

If you want to circumvent the people trying to sell you stuff; charters, booze cruises, drugs and sex, keep walking the main road and don't get on the marina till the first street you get to. It's about a mile but hassleless. Of course if that's your thing, when you see water, head in that dirrection ;-)

Don't buy the itineraries the hotel tries to sell, you will get better deals if you go to the area I mentioned in the last paragraph. Seriously, it's not all that bad. Go to #6 (maybe #5) just past Hooters and ask for Isreal or George, they are really good guys and will take care of you.

Time Share people at the hotel will leave you alone after about 2 days if you ignore them or say "No Thanks". They have a good memory for faces.

Lastly, if I were to go again, I'd find a hotel downtown but that is just casue I like to party a bit sometimes. It's a long journey back to this hotel, especially after a bunch of tequilla.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

Solmar is an older hotel, essentially in town, on the Pacific side, adjacent to the marina. It is a great location.

There is a fair amount of construction going on adjacent to the east-pool, with two more buildings going up. Solmar is essentially going up-scale, and this construction will continue over the next year or so, with much of the existing facility, east pool, and main building being demolished.

It is a non-swimming beach, so don't stay there if you want to jump in the surf. I am an open-water swimmer, and on some days, I wouldn't jump in. If I were there and a average swimmer jumped in, I'd be pissed, as I would be off to the races to save their stupid butt!. So, word to the wise, stay OUT of the water!

The west pool area is very nice...swim up bar, hot tub, etc.. and from this location you do not even hear the construction going on to the east.

The facility is relatively compact. And if you're in a room adjacent to the east pool, you can essentially walk out of your room an be at the pool and on the beach. Much unlike some of the other larger resorts in Cabo where it's a hike back to your room and in elevators, etc...

I stayed in a ground floor two-room suite. I normally prefer upper level, as I like to leave my slider open, but in this location, I had no problem doing that on the ground floor.

I have essentially on one negative...

Cockroaches!!

After the second day, I lost interest in seeing the tiny little cockroaches running across the kitchen and bathroom counters. I left my laptop on the kitchen counter, and the damn bugs climbed into it through the vents......and I really despised seeing the scurry out of it!

I travel to Cabo 4 times a year or so, and I will NOT stay at Solmar again based on the bug situation. Rates are cheap everywhere there, so If I were to stay in town again, and on the beach, I'd go next door to Playa Grande.

There you have it......

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Twin Cities
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

Talk about deceptive advertising. Google map shows the entire hotel intact. We were hoping to stay in the Junior Suites, to the left of the hotel. Unfortunately, it is gone! Five months ago they tore it down, and within several years, all of it will be gone. In its place, will be this brand new edifice.
So, my gorgeous view of the ocean, consisted of backhoes, cranes, and frontloaders. Big boulders being loaded on on the shovel of these frontloaders and delivered to the other side of the new construction. The view is total destroyed. The noise is horrible. I didn't plan on spending a week in a construction zone.
We complained, and the bored and indifferent staff decided to give us a free breakfast. Wow! The management is so considerate.
They had to know that they are going to a hit for this construction. Particularily the people that aren't time share. These people can just wait it out. Those that aren't as wealthy, will find that they are just a minor inconvenience for the ownership, until this project is done in about five years.
If the brochure, and the ad on the internet was honest, and showed all this construction, I don't think they would be duping so many people into coming to their hotel.
Yes, it is a beautiful area, and I imagine those that were lucky enought to stay here before the construction did have a peaceful and enjoyable stay.
The BBB Bureau really needs to look into the deceptive ads that the Solmar is using in their online presentation.
I have asked for remuneration from this hotel. I doubt that I will even hear from them. But I think anyone who felt that they were going to be able to stay in the hotel that was, and no longer is, deserves some type of apology and financial compensation.

3 Thank jakatak44
kelowna, bc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

Just spent 1 week there through an RCI trade. Rooms were a disappointment. We had the 2 bedroom penthouse, supposedly the nicest room in the complex, which was spacious with an awesome view and great beds. Not 5 star quality though- everything was in need of a total upgrade. The TV's were small old units, remotes didn't work, one bathroom was somewhat smelly, poor TV coverage. We were there during the Olympics and hardly got any info except on CNN and Fox news which seemed to just repeat the same things over and over all day long. I would rate the hotel a 3 star, nothing more, but certainly adequate if you like the smaller, more intimate Mexican flavour instead of a bigger more modern resort. I would probably go back some day when the newer more modern resort is done.
Best about the resort was the location, 15 minute walk to the Marina strip where there are lots of restaurants and shopping. Located on a private bay with a nice quiet beach and only 3 or 4 resorts on the bay. Lots of whale watching daily. Resort is small, quiet and intimate,very friendly people and staff, and a great place for a relaxing mellow holiday. The construction was not a problem. The main pool had the most activity but not much going on, just relaxing. It was great for our little one to play in the water at the edge of the pool.
Majority of people there seemed to be owners who have been going there for many years. They all loved it and didn't want to see any changes but they really do need to upgrade if they want to be considered 5 star.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

It's been 2 weeks since my boyfriend and I returned from our trip, and the Solmar was a very good place to stay for a few reasons. First, the location. It's on the beach which is quiet and semi-private, and you can often see whales right from the beach. (However, keep in mind this is the Pacific side where the undertow is very strong and there is no swimming or even splashing in the ocean.) You can walk from the Solmar to the Marina and to the town of Cabo in about 15 minutes. It's NOT a strenuous walk for the moderately fit person, just make sure you bring good walking shoes because there are few small hills on the way. There's also a great "Marketplace" by the Marina at which we did some bargain shopping. Now, if you want to go to the Walmart or Sam's Club, you'll have to take a cab; but we just bought essential food at a great little "Supermarkedo" on the main street, kitty corner to the Plaza Bonita. Secondly, the hotel is clean (excellent housekeeping!) and has nice restaurants, pools and a hot tub. It's not a super posh resort feeling but it was more than adequate. The hotel food was good though a bit pricey.

The few complaints I have about the Solmar are the small amount of noise coming from the construction zone (usually only a problem in the morning, as they seem to start around 7 AM) and also the noise from a few of the other guests at the pool (not the hotel's fault, but people, keep your personal life stories to yourselves!!!). Speaking of the other guests, the week we were there, we were by far some of the youngest people there, and we're in our mid 30's!

To echo other reviewers, it's a shame that a portion of this place is getting torn down (all the beachfront units will soon be gone) to make room for a "deluxe" high rise - we saw what the new rooms will look like during the time-share presentation (which by the way you'll be "invited" to upon checking-in - be ready! though to be fair, the presentation was not high-pressure and it was worth it for the freebies) - and the decor of the new rooms is very modern, dark wood, stainless steel, granite, all nice but not at all Mexican in flavour and frankly kind of boring. And all those new units will make the place much more busy and crowded than it is now, probably like Solmar's sister hotel Playa Grande just down the beach.... sigh.

1 Thank Sick0fSnow
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Solmar for a week. We are not "owners" of any time share - we just booked it as a hotel. I think people should keep in mind this is a 3 star hotel/suites and NOT meant to be a posh all inclusive. If you want something big, busy, and resort like, the Solmar is not for you.

Staff and service: friendly and helpful, good service, all spoke very good English, but nothing over the top or cloying. OK for us. If you want servers pestering you for drinks every 15 minutes while you are catching a few rays by the pool, book someplace else.

Cleanliness of the suites: our suite was very clean, and kept that way daily by housekeeping. I can't imagine how it could be much cleaner. We left several piles of dirty dishes out on a couple of mornings and housekeeping cleaned them all. Towels were always fresh and clean. Floors cleaned every day, etc. You get the idea. No complaints.

Noise: Construction of the big new resort is very active. It is noisy, and the noise starts at about 7 or 8 AM and doesn't end until 5 PM. Even in the evening there are a few workers at the new site. We could hear the construction noise in our suite but didn't find it bothersome. It felt like it was in the background most of the time. At the largest pool, we never heard it at all. But if you absolutely can't handle any noise at all, don't book.

Some of the hotel suites nearest the ocean are right by one of the bars (Trebol Bar I think). The TV's could be loud at night, and I can see where that could get irritating for some people. The rest of the hotel was quiet. In fact, the whole vibe of the Solmar was low-key and quiet. Great for us.

Overall, the noise wasn't a big factor for myself or my partner. We were up early at any rate. The construction was not overly intrusive for us.

Location: More isolated from Cabo San Lucas, but not too far. In fcat, the location makes the hotel feel more isolated, relaxed, quaint, and quiet. I can't believe that some of the reviews complain about the 14 minute walk from the hotel lobby to downtown Cabo San Lucas. Based on my experience talking and listening to the guests at the hotel, the people that complain about the distance are either terribly out of shape, elderly, handicapped in some way, disinterested in any form of physical activity as a part of a holiday, or are just plain lazy. Yes, there is a short walk into town and yes there is a "hill." It is hardly prohibitive for anyone who is used to even moderate amounts of exercise. My partner hurt her back on the third day of our holiday and she made it into Cabo and back another FOUR times after wards! We saw many hotel guest aged 50 and over who made that walk daily. I

If your idea of a holiday means you do no walking at all I suggest you book at five star all inclusive and never leave except to take a taxi to the airport.

Another positive part of the location is the beach. Although you can't swim in the ocean, the beach is great fine for just about anything else. Way less crowded than Playa Medano in Cabo San Lucas itself. The views are great. At this time of year, you can lots of whales in the ocean right from your hotel window or while sitting on the beach itself.

Dining: Nothing special at all in Solmar. Adequate. Over priced. The water at the Solmar is filtered. I suggest you spend most of your time eating in Cabo San Lucas. I ate just about everything at the local places off the main tourist strip (ie- menus had little or no English, prices were not in US dollars, serving staff spoke little or no english) and ate way better food for a lot cheaper than dining at either the Solmar OR the big restaurants clearly aiming at American Tourists. Never got sick eating local. YMMV.

Other: the Solmar was fully booked, but felt quiet and cozy. Pools were not crowded. Not a big busy resort. Not a five star all inclusive. And that is what I liked about it.

5 Thank jayjayYEG
Midwest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2010

We just returned from The Solmar disaster. A call to the property to confirm our room in Building #5 which has been the sole reason for returning for many years, received a response of "No problem, we can accomodate it". Carlos, Reservation and Customer Service Manager, failed to mention Bullding #5 no longer existed and is replaced with cranes, horns, pounding and dust. The beloved site is destroyed. In 10 years one may see the new Solmar creation with all phases complete. Until then, do not waste valuable vacation time and money.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple