“A Rose Beginning To Wither”
Review of Pueblo Bonito Rose

Pueblo Bonito Rose
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

So, the Rose has a great location...walking distance to downtown, on a great swimmable beach with views of Pelican Rock & Lovers Beach butttttttttttttt this is not a 5 star resort. Far from it actually.

We opted *not* to get the all inclusive plan for several reasons. The main reason is that with me (personally) I feel like if I get an all inclusive I need to gorge myself on food and alcoholic beverages in order to "get my moneys worth" out of it. Also, I feel obligated to stay at the hotel more instead of venturing out and tasting the local cuisine. Personal preferences aside, when I did think that I wanted to try the buffet after a loooooooong flight in to Cabo it looked disgusting. In fact, there was not one dish that I was even remotely interested in sampling. That pretty much sealed the deal on their "all-inclusive" option. I did eat at Cilantro's at Blanco for lunch one day and the food was average....underwhelming for a $50.00 meal but hey....it's whatever.

The rooms were decent. The first night there I was exhausted and slept the best I had years so I thought the beds were the bomb.com then each subsequent night after my sleep got worse and worse. Although, this could've been caused by my sunburn or the fact I took one too many tequila shots that night lol....No queen or king beds (very odd) only two doubles.

I tried to avoid spending any time at the pool (I'm in Cabo to enjoy the beach, not pool!) but when I did, the water definitely did not feel clean to me and it was HOT...like I was swimming in a hot tub hot.

Finally, the concierge was incredibly unhelpful and the front desk staff was equally unfriendly.

The Rose has every opportunity to be a 5 star resort and maybe it was at one time 20 years ago but as of June 2014 I'm not seeing it. The location though is really really really great!

5  Thank pamela_berman
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

We truly appreciate your comments. We indeed have a very privileged location in one of the best beaches in Los Cabos. The Food and Beverages Department has a big variety in Theme Nights and restaurants, so there are different options for our guests, we regret not being what you were expecting, it would have been important for you to to have noted the Manager of Restaurant, because our interest is to achieve your satisfaction. We really hope to welcome you anytime in the near future so we can change your perception about Rosé.

Warm Regards,
Goyita Osako, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,398)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We are used to fairly regular US quality food....yuck is all we can say for the buffet. You may find something for breakfast, otherwise, order from the menu.

The room smells. I don't know if it is supposed to smell good, it smells awful.

We paid extra for wifi which is a joke. There is connectivity maybe once per day. Beware, it's $80 per device, not per room.

Otherwise the service if your are white and not old is terrible. We tip and tip well. My wife spent many years in the service industry. Man is king here, women are not given the same jobs and the men working as servers have ignored myself and my wife ALL DAY but taken care of someone next to us of Latin descent. Definitely not the environment we would like our children to see. Servers, workers, desk clerks are all indifferent and not friendly. We will spend our cash somewhere else for sure. Pueblo Bonito Rose es no bueno. ( the server corrected my wife tonight so we are sure this is correct grammar ; ). PS swimming at the beach is at your own risk.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We regret that our reviewer has received an environment of this nature. In Pueblo Bonito Hotels we work in favor of service to all of our guests without any exception. Men and women that perform service work with care and love. Part of my work being the General Manager of the hotel I gladly work towards the satisfaction of all of our guests. Regarding the perceived odor in the room, it could have been a smell moisture due to high ambient temperatures because of the lately rain. We appreciate your comments and we will work towards continuous improvement.

Respectfully,
Goyita Osako, General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Oh man! Had fun but Pueblo Bonita Rose cannot take any of the credit for that. Love the view! Loved that I could walk down the beach and get a jet ski. Did not like the mediocre food and the dismal service. If you want something to drink, GOOD LUCK! The all inclusive package was a must for our family. We all eat at different times and that would have been horrible to schedule. If you plan on Gold Corral or Denny's quality food, your expectations would be in the right ball park. If you are looking for a dining experience, this is not your place. If you are looking for a quality drink, you will need to look elsewhere. The beds are double beds. If you are a couple that is use to a queen size bed or larger, sleep will be elusive! I think there HAS to be a better place to stay!! Will not return.

Room Tip: Do not choose this place!
1  Thank Chattyvon
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The location is great and amenities are clean and well maintained. We did all inclusive which is the way to go with teenage kids. However, the food was mediocre at best and service was horrible. Could not get waiters to take orders, 20-30 minutes before someone would take our order at he pool or at a restaurant. Waiting to be seated while servers and bus boys walked by tables multiple times without cleaning them, we finally just sat ourselves after bussing the table. It became obvious that all-inclusive guests were not priority and yes they want you to sign a receipt every time you order something. Pool seats are impossible if you don't get some first thing in the morning. The concierge was not helpful, we odd snorkeling, dolphin, and scuba with them making travel arrangements to and from and we missed the scuba and they would not refund our money even though it was there fault. The beach is great but not for small children or weak out of shape, undertow is wicked! Excellent activities and entertainment staff. Choose wisely!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

PB Rose is a bit dated and suites are an average size, but too small for my family of 6. The first night there I noticed our sheets were dirty (won't get into detail there) and the floor was sticky. It took two requests before this issue was fixed. Not a good first impression. The first day of our stay we went to the timeshare presentation at PB sunset. We were told it was to be a 90 minute presentation but was four hours. PB sunset was amazing and I immediately wanted to pack my stuff up at Rose and leave to come to the sunset. In the end I was glad we stayed at Rose.
We did the all inclusive which I think is the best way to go. We ordered drinks and food all day long by the pool. Food is very expensive in Cabo and I think Rose is a good value. Overall, we spent about $100/pp per day for hotel and food.
Pool is very nice and we had no problem finding lounge chairs. Activities at pool were fun. My kids loved the water volleyball and had a blast making new friends. Beach was nice and ocean was warm. We had dinner at Fellini's which was very nice and Cilantros. We would recommend both. It was nice having the option to dine at PB Blanco. The main restaurant at Rose has tons of birds literally eating the breakfast food while you are trying to serve yourself. Blanco has less birds and is a little quieter. We did many activities such as ATV, ziplining, jet ski's, boat ride to the arches. I had a massage for an hour on the beach for $30 and it was amazing. Spa at Rose is incredibly overpriced!!
Overall, a nice, family trip. Kids really enjoyed it. If it was just my husband and myself I would stay at sunset but you cannot swim in the ocean there. THere are more activities at Rose.

Room Tip: If I could do it again I would request a room on the first floor with easy access to the pool. 5th...
1  Thank Jenna P
Reviewed 23 June 2014

1st time to Cabo. We stayed 1 week, all inclusive the only way to go. The staff was wonderful. We were taken care of by wonderful, hardworking servers. Samuel, Julio & Pedro, and the wonderful lady making omelets you all rock!!! The front desk staff was very helpful and polite. I was very upset to see the vacationers NOT tipping staff, they work hard to make your stay memorable and pleasant. Exceptional service deserves TIPS $$...The only flaw I saw was not enough staff to serve the pool area and sometimes in the restaurants. Rooms were very clean. A tip for travelers, warm clothes are NOT needed. You can buy T-shirts, hats, blankets, jewelry on the beach.

3  Thank Carol B
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We've travelled to Cabo many times in the past ten years and usually stay at World Mark Coral Baja but used our RCI points for Pueblo Bonito Rose. On Medano Beach which is one of the few places you can actually swim in the water from your hotel. We had a studio which was nice, clean and well furnished with large refrigerator, stove top and ample cupboard space. Had partial view of Sea and pool area. Amenities were fine with toiletries, ample towels and daily maid service.
Restaurants were good with a variety of items. Fellini's was outstanding. Beach bar was fun. Deli had a nice selection for quick & run. The prices are comparable to most hotels in the area although higher than most of the independent restaurants.
We did not do "all inclusive" because we know so many good restaurants and fun bars. We did notice that the All Inclusives' were not getting the best service. If all the hotels went All Inclusive the historic fishing town with fine restaurants and activities would end up like Cancun - depressing. In Cancun most all hotels and resorts are All Inclusive. Besides who wants to hang around the hotel all day eating the same boring food and weak drinks.
The staff was excellent with prompt attention and cordial bidding at all times.
We don't take our laptop because we know that the WiFi in Cabo is not the greatest and it is expensive at all hotels. Heck, we don't even use our Droids in Mexico. We turn them off, if someone at home needs us they can call the hotel or email as we occasionally check mail at the business center for about $5.00.
Eventhough it was crowded since it was probably the first week of summer vacation for schools and there were a lot of kids but they were having a great time.
The only downside which is not unique to this property but most is the "towel saving" on beach & pool shares. Starting at 7:00am they rush to put a towel down and a magazine to save a spot then return 3 hours later expecting it to be still theirs. Signs posted saying "30 minutes only" but not enforced. And many of these saves are for large families. Why do toddlers need there own lounge? The answer to this is what many upscale Vegas hotels are doing, charge a premium for cabana type settings and prime spots renting by the hour.
Go to Mega, Walmart or Costco prior to 4:00pm check in to get liquor, beer, snacks, breakfast, lunch items to keep from having to use hotel facilities all the time. Use the restaurants as a treat which they are!
Most rooms have two fulls beds, no Kings. Ok with me, I like sleeping with my wife!
All is All , a great property!

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor. Above the palm trees (normally trimmed, so no problem) The lower the number the c...
4  Thank rovinmike