“Average Plus Resort”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We booked this trip (12/29/2013-1/3/2014) knowing ahead of time it was a timeshare promotion ($399 all inclusive). We read a lot of mixed Trip Advisor reviews so we were unsure what to expect.

Upon arrival, we were welcomed as soon as we got out of our 45 minute taxi ride from the airport. We found the resort clean but showed its age of 22 years. Our room was a jr suite (2 beds, kitchenette, bath) overlooking the front entrance. We did have an issue with the electronic door key device not working. But upon request we were placed in another jr suite with an ocean/pool view.

As expected our 90 minute timeshare presentation lasted over 3 1/2 hours. Our timeshare representative Sherri was nice and not aggressive with her presentation. After telling her and the three levels of management above her we were not interested, we were released from captivity.

This group has 3 timeshare properties adjoining each other. The presentation was for the newest property BUT we were placed in the oldest property. Seems if they wanted you to purchase timeshare in the newest property that is where you would stay? We were only allowed to use selected things on the newest property where the timeshares were being sold

The buffett meals were average. All were outside, so by the time you sat down to eat your food was cold. Staff was average.

I would rate the Villa del Palmar a 3.5 out of 5. For $399 all inclusive it was a good value if you realize it's a timeshare presentation. I would not purchase timeshare at this property because it is 22 years old.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank DavidPam_2013
villadelpalmar1, General Manager at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

We thank you for your valuable comments and observations. Rest assured that action will be taken in order to correct any service issue. We truly hope to that on your future vacation you would give us the opportunity to welcome you once again. We can assure you, you will see a change for good when coming back.
Jorge Herrán

Write a ReviewReviews (5,192)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Villa Del Palmar in Cabo is a beautiful hotel w/ access to the sister hotel chock full of Vegas resort style amenities. The one thing that I would warn you about, and I cannot emphasize this enough, is the relentless style of the infamous "time share men". Other than that most unpleasant experience, dining on the beach, swimming in the Sea of Cortez, the local hospitality and the pleasant demeanor of the staff made for a lovely part of the holiday. I must add that this part of the holiday was an all-inclusive which surely colors my review.

Room Tip: Obviously if you have an option, go for pool/ water view...i had a less desirable view due to the fa...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brooke D

We are pleased to know that aside from the time share incident you enjoyed your vacations and that the staff provided you with exceptional service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again on your future vacations.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

There was a Xmas party for all sales personnel and we weren't able to find anyone that could help us with a problem with our flights. On a good note Giovanni at the Bella California restaurant was EXCELLENT and we would definitely ask for him when we return next year on our annual trip to Cabo.

Room Tip: IF you don't want noise do not stay in a room overlooking the entertainment restaurant, Tortugas...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DinaKinney

We offer you an apology for the inconvenience you encountered during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit and provide you with the level of service you deserve.
Best regards,

Reviewed 31 December 2013

First of all, we had the opportunity to stay here through a all-inclusive offer for $599. That said, it seems that our stay probably wasn't the top priority to the hotel. We had to attend the obligatory time share meeting the day after our arrival at 10:30 AM. My husband and I have only attended one time share meeting prior to this one, and it was a horrible experience. This one wasn't bad. Steve was the main guy who took us around. He was very nice, and not super high pressure. When it became obvious that we weren't going to buy anything, Steve left and we were filtered through three other people, all of whom tried pretty hard to get us to purchase something. Advice: wait until the very last person to purchase anything and you will probably get the best deal. They keep coming down in price, and the second to last person offered to purchase our airfare (I'm sure there was some catch included). Also, it was advised to us that the timeshare meeting would be 90 minutes. Total, tour included, it was close to three hours.
The hotel itself is pretty nice. Prior to coming to Cabo, my husband and I have mostly stayed at the Grand Mayan in Puerto Vallarta, which is spectacular. That said, our standards are pretty high. In the room, we have a bedroom with a king-sized bed, two bathrooms with tubs, a balcony and a living room with a murphy bed and couch. Not bad. Unfortunately, the fan in the bathroom adjoining the bedroom was very noisy, and the mattress on the bed was not comfortable. Also, it costs nearly $12/day if you want internet, and despite purchasing it for one day, ours did not work well. We called, and they extended it to two days and said they'd come out to "check our antenna", but no one ever came out.
The gym is decent, but not air-conditioned, and sometimes you may have to wait for cardio equipment.
There is a small convenience store on property that you can go to, but watch out--prices are RIDICULOUS. If you're all-inclusive, I would either make the trip to WalMart to buy decently priced stuff, or just make do with what you've got in the available hotel restaurants.
There are several pools; two big ones, and two smaller ones. It was our first international trip with our five month old, and she had a great time floating around in the larger pools.
I suspect there is some kind of undercover system that goes with your bracelet color (we had silver, as all-inclusive), because it seemed to take a long time to get food or drinks. The drinks also seemed watered down.
Everyone was very friendly. We walked to downtown Cabo (about 30 minutes), and that was a fairly pleasant experience, but we got a taxi back because the baby was fussy. We went to Cabo Wabo, which had good food, but not awesome prices.

Room Tip: The Villa Palmar is the least nice hotel
2  Thank Kriewald

We thank you for all your valuable comments as they are the tool to improve our process and service level. Rest assured that we will be working in the improvements of the room as well as the service that is provide to our guests in order to increase their level of satisfaction. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you one again on your future vacations.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I have been to this resort several times now and every time, it is like coming home. thank you so much to the hotel staff for taking such good care of us during our vacation! and thank you to Efrain Rojas for your excellent service once again! looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: ocean view a must!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

We thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you once again at your home away from home.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am happy to share my experiences while at Villa del Palmar (Dec. 14 – 21, 2013). There were 15 of us in our family vacationing here together – grandma (my mom), me and my 2 sisters, our 3 husbands, and our 8 kids (ages 1 to 8 years old). We stayed in three 2-bedroom villas to accommodate our large group.

Cabo was a perfect destination for us. It was warm and sunny for 6 days, and the 7th day it was just cloudy. Loved the weather. We were also impressed with the airport. Very small and clean and organized. The resort was a manageable 45 minute drive from the airport.

We loved our vacation to Villa del Palmar. We would definitely go back and stay at this resort again, but we’d probably try to do Villa del Arco if we can afford it just because the pools are so much better and the rooms are newer. But, Villa del Palmar met every single one of our needs and I’d recommend this one too.

More details that will be helpful for those of you who are planning to go to this hotel….
• Villa del Palmar is one of 3 hotels that are together in a “complex”. Villa del Estancia is the center resort and is the top tier, Villa del Arco is the farthest away from the Palmar and is the middle tier, and the Palmar is the lowest tier.
• They have a free trolley that runs regularly between the three complexes so that you can go to the other buildings. (You could walk as well, but need to take the front driveway or along the beach – there is no connection along the back via sidewalks that connect the pool areas.)
o The Villa del Palmar has an all-inclusive option, which we took. The price was $75 per person per day for adults, and was half-price for the 4+ year old kids.
o Important – to get the $75 price, a married couple or single individual from our party had to attend the timeshare sales pitch. Otherwise, we would have had to pay $90 (or so) per person per day. Given that there were 15 of us in our party, we were happy to sacrifice 2 for the discount. Notice that they say it will take 90 minutes, but it always takes longer.
o We ate breakfast at the Bella restaurant all week. The breakfast was the same buffet every morning, but there were tons of options and we enjoyed it. They had both traditional American options (including an omelet station) and Mexican options.
o For lunch, again we at the Bella restaurant. We *loved* their pizza, but they had other options on their menu.
o For dinner, we took advantage of the different options. One night we ate at the Bella (Italian) restaurant, 2 nights at El Patron (Mexican – at Villa del Arco), 2 nights at El Faro (seafood/Japanese – at Villa del Arco), and 3 nights at buffets that were offered at Tortuga (pool-side). We loved every meal except for the Bella Italian restaurant.
o For dinner prices, we definitely saved money by doing the all-inclusive option. For example, at El Patron, soup is $9, an appetizer is about $15, and the main course is $25-40. It also afforded us the opportunity to try more of their yummy food than we would have otherwise.
o El Faro restaurant advertises as a seafood and oyster bar, but the waiter told us that they haven’t had oysters there in the past 6 months. That wasn’t a big deal for my family, but just sharing.
• Pools
o You can only swim at the pools at Villa del Palmar. We tried to swim at the Villa del Arco, but they saw our green Villa del Palmar towels and asked us to leave. My sisters did go over there for a few hours but just hid the towels.
o The pools at Villa del Palmar are fine, but they aren’t too die for. There are 3 main pools – one closest to the main lobby that was fairly quiet, one closer to the beach with a whale slide and waterfall, and then a third baby pool tucked in the corner of the property.
o There is not a swim-up bar at this property. Definitely a con!
o The pools were heated and were a perfect temperature.
o The main pool by the beach is fairly small and it just wasn’t my style – they had a host facilitate games and trivia. Just too much talking on a microphone and was obnoxious. We went to the beach.
• Beach
o Can’t beat the view! Overlooks Lovers Beach and the rocks that are east of el Arco!
o HUGE PLUS – the property is on Medano Beach, so great sand and swimming.
o There are folks that sell their merchandise at all hours of the day, but the resort puts up a rope and the merchants can’t go past the rope, so it was rare that they came to your chair. Seemed like a good compromise.
o The resort had an activity where they released 30-40 baby sea turtles into the ocean at 5 p.m. The kids loved it.
• Activities
o We arranged for Baja water taxi to take us to Lover’s Beach. We went right away at 9 a.m. and had the place to ourselves. It was perfect. They quoted us $14 per person, but we had the “gold card” from going to the timeshare pitch, so we got it for $10 per person. We had good experience with Baja – would definitely recommend them.
o My husband and 2 brother –in-laws contacted Red Rum tour and went deep sea fishing. They each caught 3 mahi mahi – cost was $150 per person. The crew cleaned the fish for $3 each and also freeze packed it for us to bring home. They saw whales, and a sea lion jumped up on the back of the boat to beg for some fish. Great experience! (They did not book this through the resort , but was a recommendation from a co-worker.)
o The spa was the best I have ever been to. Would definitely recommend going there. Note – when you book a service, you get access to the spa for the whole day – the sauna, hot tubs, etc. – so plan on going there as long as you can for some peace and quiet. The spa is at the Estancia property.
o We hired the photographer that had a booth in the lobby. We did not love the pictures. The cost was $18 for each photo – you got a digital and printed copy of each picture you order.

• Property/service
o Our 2-bedroom villa had 2 rooms with king-sized beds each room. Linens were amazing! Both rooms had a full bathroom. There was also a 3rd full bathroom. We had a full kitchen but did not use it much because we had the all-inclusive package. There was not a washer/dryer in the unit.
o Overall, the facility was well-maintained and the service was wonderful.

I saw the reviews for moldy/stinky rooms. I can see why they rated that. We don't have environments like this in the united states where there is constand air conditioning and humidity. We were grateful for the beautiful weather and didn't let the mugginess of the rooms bug us.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms on highest floor are best. Need to be at 5th floor or higher to clear the palm tre...
11  Thank Schw0375

We highly appreciate the time taken to share you experience at the resort with others. Your comments and observations are valuable to us as they are the tool to improve our quality and service level. We look forward to welcoming once again on your next visit to Cabo.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a very nice, clean resort. The staff was wonderful for the most part. A couple things I didn't like were the timeshare sales pitch that wasted almost a full day of my vacation. I was supposed to go at 7:45 a.m. and when I did I was told I would have to go the same time as my friends were going at 11:30 a.m. I was supposed to get a free breakfast, however, since the time was changed, I went ahead and had breakfast on my own. There really was NO incentive for spending nearly six hours in the process. When I finally went through the presentation, I ended up not being with my friends anyway. The pressure was very high even though I had said right off the bat that I was NOT interested.

The other thing that was cumbersome was the All-Inclusive. Had to sign for everything, even though I had a bracelet. I am accustomed to mandatory A-I's, so to have to sit and wait for the staff to bring tickets was rather annoying.

Room Tip: I didn't have an ocean view. It was chilly in the mornings and evenings because there was no su...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank rainymay7

We are sorry to learn of the incident you encountered with the time share presentation. Your discomfort has been properly addressed. We thank you for your comments regarding the Meal Plan. Do believe they will not go unnoticed. We hope that on your next vacations you would give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and change this past experience.