“Great place to stay in Cabo!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Regina, SK
“Great place to stay in Cabo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

We spent 2 weeks at the Villa Del Palmar in Cabo and we'd go back in a heartbeat! The newly renovated resort was clean, well maintained, and provided a great atmosphere for a relaxing vacation. Our friends had never been on a winter vacation and their stay exceeded all of their expectations.

The grounds are immaculate, the restaurants served good food at reasonable prices, the pools provided lots of options for swimming or sitting in the sun and the staff were incredible in the service they provided.

It's close to Wal-Mart so you can do your grocery shopping if you want to do your own cooking and it's a short bus or cab ride to downtown.

If you have a chance to stay here, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,383)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

We traded our time share for a week here. The place is lovely, in a good spot with a great view. Our two bedroom, three bath condo was fine, though oddly the only window that faced out was the sliding door going out to the balcony (which was a great place to sit and have breakfast). The bedroom windows faced an inner hotel hallway. This turned out not to really be a disadvantage, since it made the bedrooms very quiet, and the balcony faced the pool area, which can be noisy in the early-to-mid part of the evening as well as the morning. It had a fabulous view of the famous rock formations in Cabo. Facilities were good, with a large pool area and several different pools for people with different wishes for how to use it. The beach is better than in many resorts on the Mexican west coast, since the can be very pebbly and difficult to walk on. The beach here is not exactly sandy but it is not rocky either. The place has a number of high-priced restaurants, none of which seemed to have real Mexican food. We followed the advise of someone else here on TA and rented a car, which saved us taxi fare from the airport and also gave us the freedom to explore. We never had dinner at the resort, but explored some good Mexican restaurants in town and even out of town. We were also able to buy breakfast food and snacks at the Walmart close by, using the car. We had a good time, but would not have been happy eating at the resort's high-priced, Americanized restaurants.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Oats711NYC
Fresno, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

As soon as I made it through customs, I was approached by several people to tour their property and buy a time-share. I read a review earlier letting me know that you can get a lot more perks by dealing with the guys at the airport then the guys at the hotel. So, I made a deal with one of them to view their property and he promised me a dinner cruise and a whale watching cruise. I paid my $40, which he promised I would get back at the end of the time-share presentation. I was told to meet him outside the property line of where I was staying and not to tell anyone at the Villa del Palmar that I had made this arrangement.
When we arrived at the hotel, I was instantly escorted to our room but first we stopped off to get our "Welcoming Package". If we agreed to go to their time-share presentation I would get a "Gold Card" good for purchase on the resort. I found out later, it is for charges to my room only. Anyway, I tried to get a dinner cruise out of them but no way. Instead I got the gold card, 8 free drink tokens, and my two boys could come to the buffet breakfast with us on Monday morning. That was it! The review I had read about getting more at the airport was right!
So, on Sunday morning, the day after my family arrived, my wife and I began our walk off the property to meet our airport guy and taxi over to his property. We were intercepted by two employees from Villa Del Palmar and asked, "If we match what the airport guy promised, would you come to our presentation?" I told them I gave the guy $40 and needed it back. I also gave $20 to the gal at Villa del Palmar after receiving the "Welcome packet." I was told that they would reimburse my $40 plus of course the $20 and give me all that the airport guy had promised. So, I figured why spend any more time in time-share presentation? My wife and I agreed to drop the airport guy tour and only go to the Villa del Palmar.
This is what we got for fee that day: 4 drink tokens worth 2 drinks each for a total of 8. Snorkel trip for 4 (our two boys 26 and 29) Buffet breakfast. One double para sail trip. It was great.
The tour of the property took 2.5 hours and at the end, we received all they had promised including my $60 cash.
The staff here is very friendly. The room was clean. The ocean view spectacular! The food is great! If we can, we're coming back. We stayed in a deluxe two bedroom with a full ocean view. I live in central California and I don't get to see the ocean that much.
P.S. Two thumbs up for Desperados in Cabo. GREAT Mexican food and great service.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Fun_in_sun025
Largo, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

Staying at Villa del Palmar in Cabo San Lucas was an outstanding experience. The staff is very accommodating, our room was spacious with a balcony overlooking the pools from which we could also watch the nightly stage shows in the courtyard. It's a short walk to downtown Cabos (15 minutes) where the shopping is fun. Language no barrier at the resort as most staff speak English. All excursions and adventures can be booked at the resort. Best part is the resort is on a beautiful beach which offers some of the most exciting body surfing I've ever experienced! There were a lot of couples there during the Thanksgiving week and it would be great if they offered live music with dancing under the stars. Villa del Palmar is top notch, very very clean and extremely comfortable! Don't miss taking a water taxi to Lover's Beach for awesome, easy snokeling.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Glendale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

We had no idea how wonderful our experience would be at the VDP. We had such a romantic time at the Italian restaurant, we went 4 of the 7 nights. It was sitting on the water, looking at the moonlight on the water, enjoying gourmet meals and service. We were amazed at how friendly the staff was and how quickly the sought to meet your needs. If you are debating getting the all inclusive or not, the food and drinks take far outweigh the costs. Plus you don't have to run around all the wild places, you have everything you need at the resort. Tips are included which also makes it nice, even though it was fun to give something to those extra special servers like Rufino, and the hostess, Judith. We really enjoyed the stay and will definitely be back.
The only negative, beach vendors can be annoying, but they have to make a living too. Also, time share was not shoved down are throats.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RCCCMARK
Rockaway, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

My family and I just returned from a wonderful vacation in Cabo. The Villa del Palmar was not what I had expected from some of the negative reviews with regards to pushy staff trying to get you to attend a timeshare presentation. Yes they try to get you to attend a presentation; however, I found them to be very polite and they gracefully accepted a kind "No Thank You". It almost makes you feel bad turning them down as they were so polite and you know they are just doing their job.

I got a fantastic deal by making the reservations over six months in advance so I couldn't complain when I got a room without a view. Even without the view we enjoyed eating breakfast on the balcony each morning enjoying the fresh air. One morning we enjoyed the simple but delicious breakfast buffet out by the sea shore.

We also enjoyed the pizza bar by the shore and recommend the "Mexican" pizza with chorizzo, Yes it takes a while for the pizza to arrive, but sit back and enjoy the sunset as we did.

The only two complaint that we had was that the air conditioning and the bed. The airconditioner had a musty smell so we did not ever uses it. We purchased an air fresher from the Walmart and the room smelled much better. In Novemver the evenings and nights are much cooler and less humid so we just opened the sliding door each evening and enjoyed the fresh air. The beds in our room were overly soft so you kind of rolled torwards the middle. The linnens were clean and the comforters really nice too.

So if you get a great rate as we did, we recommend staying here. It is close to downtown, the Walmart and the Costco.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ROCKAWAYOKA
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

A little knwn secret is that this resort has a tennis pro who can give you lessons for a tip only. He is quite good and will help you with your game. The two tennis courts are in great shape. The resort is right on the beach as well with good food and entertainment. Go in November when the weather is good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple