“Must be an acquired taste”

Hotel Mar de Cortez
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Davis, California
“Must be an acquired taste”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I understand that this hotel is a bit of a cult classic in Cabo. I get it, people love this place for reasons of nostalgia, history, whatever, I can dig that, but buyer beware, this is not a quaint old hotel with charm and history, it's more of a filthy motel, we find along the 5 freeway in my part of CA. We spent 4 of our 8 day trip in the area here. We spent the first two at Los Milagros (will review that place later). Both places cost about the same per night, but what a huge difference in quality! Whereas Los Milagros provided clean, rustic beautiful surroundings for a budget traveler, at this hotel I almost felt like I didn't deserve nice things because I couldn't afford a $500/night hotel. Everything in the rooms is falling apart. The staff almost had this attitude, like why would we even expect anything better. The table legs were rotting, the metal hinges had rust and there was a faint smell of vomit in our room at all times (probably from a time someone vomited in the room). But I guess with five star reviews why would they be motivated to make anything better. The sheets, covers and towels were old and rough. The rooms are concrete bunkers, and our bed had mysterious black spots on the mattress (think it was mold). The place is really filthy, I just can't understand why no one mentioned this in any of the reviews. I had no problems with service, theft etc. I don't mind the rooms being basic (I didn't come to Cabo to watch TV) but after a long day of being out, I do like a place I can actually relax. I'd only recommend this place for spring breakers or others who will never see their room sober. If you come in completely wasted at 4AM it might be an OK place to crash, but for us it was totally unsuitable. I'd like to say that the nightly rate was around $70 per night, $90 for friends who booked same day. Our friends' toilet also overflowed at night and no one came to fix it at night, so they had to sleep in the room with the overflowing toilet.

I can see that this is a beloved hotel, I didn't know about it and booked it because it was available for a last minute trip during NYE. I was really hoping it would capture historical charm or offer something, but it is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life (and I've stayed at plenty of budget accommodations including hostels and motels)

Room Tip: recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ZeeZee666
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello, ZeeZee666 and thank you for your very straight forward review. We regret your disappointment with Hotel Mar de Cortez but appreciate your honesty. I am sorry you didn't check out after one night since you were so unhappy. A refund would have been in order since we obviously we did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of upgrading the property and hope that next time around you might want to check us out to see the progress. All the best for 2014.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Didn't stay here, but went to the restaurant every morning for breakfast. All I could do was stare longingly at the pool an wish I was staying there. The hotel looked very clean and the pool area was very inviting. We almost walked away from our hotel and booked to stay here! Next time in Cabo this will be our first choice.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mstacey33
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
What a great way to start the New Year with your review mstacey33. Thank you. We look forward to helping you complete your travel plans when the time comes. Baja Peppers, our restaurant and bar, get rave reviews as well and obviously their breakfasts kept you coming back. All be best for 2014 and thanks again. See you soon...
Lake Tahoe Area
Reviewed 28 December 2013

by LeeZa Donatella, author of Beyond the Veil of Illusion - the Awakening.
I write to you about my recent stay at the Mar De Cortez. I was immediately welcomed at this mid-sized motel in the heart of downtown Cabo San Lucas. Filled with Canadians and Americans alike, some that make it their home away from home for months as they escape the winter weather up north. The staff was courteous, warm and accommodating; the clientele, real and friendly, inviting all alike to partake in daily festivities. Within minutes I had new friends, some of which I will continue to connect with for years to come.

The rooms are clean and for a few extra pesos you can get a refrigerator put into your room. It is centrally located to all that is Cabo San Lucas and the have a well appointed bar and restaurant on site. If you want to experience the flavor of Cabo outside the 5 star resorts I would recommend this place. As a writer there was many opportunities to gain stories for upcoming writing projects. I thought of this place as a portal of many different peoples. I met Aaron, a Canadian fisherman who was well versed in Rumi and Eckhart Tolle. Then there was Mike, whose stories of Hollywood rich and famous fascinated me. Only in Cabo and perhaps the Mar de Cortez would I be able to say such things. Happy Travels.. LeeZa

Room Tip: There are a string of rooms in the back downstairs with circular terraces that offer the most privac...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Many thanks, LeeZa for your great input and for adding flavor to what can be just another kind review. Yes, this is a place to really get to know folks, if you want, and if not, you certainly can enjoy your privacy and the ambiance of the people and property. We look forward to seeing you again and hearing about your writings. Best wishes for a very Happy New Year.
Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have been staying at the Mar de Cortez for decades and have always been impressed with the cleanliness, friendly service, and fair value received. Centrally located in the heart of 'old' Cabo, this hotel allows you to easily explore all that is available in the town on foot and if you have a vehicle-leave it in their secure compound within the hotel. Over the many years I have seen the many upgrades done to maintain this property,yet the essential feeling has remained the same: safe harbour, comfortable sleeps, good food in a lightly colonial setting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Many thanks, Harry K for your kind words and loyalty over the years. Your description of the Mar de Cortez is right on... centrally located, fair value, private parking for our guests, and the continued ambiance that makes us an Historical Landmark Hotel in downtown Cabo San Lucas. Thank you, too, Harry, for all your referrals. See you again in 2014 and the term 'safe harbour' is a comfortable way of defining us. It's a nice way to help new guests know your thoughts...
Corona, California
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Accurate Fishing Products and Jack Nilsen are pleased to recommend The Hotel Mar De Cortez to our friends and customers. We stay at the Hotel several times a year with our Fishing Reel customers. The Hotel is conveniently located in the center of town within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and the harbor. The Mar De Cortez has the feel of "down home" Cabo. It is not one of the huge resort complexes that have been built in the last several years. The rooms are clean, simple and affordable. The hotel staff is always very friendly and will greet you with a smile
and Buenos Dias every morning.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are great..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you, Jack N for your kind words and upbeat review. We are ever mindful of our loyal guests we see year after year and appreciate how they share their thoughts with others who in turn become loyal returnees like yourself. Thank you. We are glad you appreciate the value we think you get when you stay with us. Value has always been our focus for that is what brings folks back time and again. And yes, location, location, location... See you next year and thank you...
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A very traditional hotel in a town which is very "resorty" (ie big hotels which could be anywhere in the world). It is downtown and a close walk to bars and restaurants and the mariner is about a 10 minute stroll away. The restaurant in the hotel (a separate business) offers a great breakfast (we did not have lunch or dinner here). Loved the garden courtyard and pool having a a very Mexican feel. The room was basic but large, with a very powerful air con unit. If I return to Cabo in the future I will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a poolside room in the 300's - these rooms appeared to be a bit dated compared to some of...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thanks for your kind words, Wacky68. As a first timer your review is important to us. Sounds like you were in one of our Garden View rooms. They are especially popular because they each have either a private patio or private balcony overlooking the pool and courtyard. And yes, location is ideal for those wanting easy access to shopping, restaurants, the marina, clubs and only a 15 min walk to the beach. If you are in Cabo again, we look forward to seeing you. Thank you.
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Great place to stay at an affordable price. Very clean and comfortable . I realy loved the bed the best mattress I slept on outside of my own. The staff was realy helpful. Only blocks to the mall and marina. The on site resturant was one of my favs they served all bfast lunch and dinner .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
And what a nice review, pjjune. Thank you. It's interesting... Everyone has their own needs when it comes to mattresses and we are glad yours were met. Also, as a team we all work hard to provide good customer service from start to finish so your kind words will go far when read by our staff. And Baja Peppers, our restaurant and bar, has become a favorite for many, indeed. If you are a fisherman, they will cook your 'catch of the day'. A popular custom. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again, next trip.