“Good basic hotel”

Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Oceanside, California
“Good basic hotel”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

This was our fifth trip to Cabo but first stay at the Mar De Cortez . The location is wonderful. You can walk to the beach in 15 min . Most restaurants are also walkable.

The room is basic no tv no phone but we never needed either. The wifi worked great and I never had any trouble with it the three days I was there. If I was to stay again I would go on the top floors. The beds down stairs we good for me but the wife said they were way to hard for her.
The rooms are old style Mexican rooms and fit the hotel perfectly. It was always clean and plenty of hot water for showers.

This is a great hotel for a four night stay or shorter. Again I would pay a few more dollars and get a upgraded room.

Not sure about the previous reviews but the ladies at the front desk always had a smile on their face when I talked to them and they always remembered my room number when getting fresh beach towels. If you go here thinking you are staying at the ritz and you only pay $70 a night the problem might be you!!! Don't hesitate to stay here it is a nice 3 star hotel.

Greg

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you, gaburlison, for your kind review. It was thorough, helpful, and you kept it simple... We look forward to your return and appreciate your information that will indeed be helpful to future guests. So glad your first time at the Mar de Cortez met your expectations. As a regular to Cabo, you know the options are many, budget - luxury. We do not sell ourselves as anything but a poplular budget Historical Landmark hotel in downtown Cabo. And we continue to gradually upgrade and improve little by little. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon, as soon as we entered the room, I was very confused. I was looking at him and he seemed disappointed, too. I would say maybe he was embarrassed. The room was very old which is okay, but it would have been nice if the room was clean. He booked this trip and he said that he read a lot of good reviews and it's a family owned hotel and we were very excited to go to Cabo for the first time. He specifically put a comment on his reservation that we are coming for our honeymoon. We are not expecting anything extravagant or doing anything special for us but at least had someone check the room to make sure it is clean before we arrive. My husband was so quite and for about 5 minutes he apologized to me, he said he has no idea that the hotel room will be very disappointing. Immediately I look for the phone so I can call front desk maybe they can mop the floor (there was some visible stains on the floor) or something but there was no phone and immediately I realized there was TV either. No fridge. There was a pitcher of water on the table between the beds covered with some napkin, so I assumed that's the complimentary water for the guests? There was only one light in the room and another one in the bathroom. The bed slides/roll away from the head board. I mean okay, I get it, it is inexpensive but that doesn't mean we don't deserve a clean room and updated towel. The towels that you will find in the room is old while the one that you can borrow to use in the pool are better and bigger, and by the way, the pool is not heated. I mean, there's no way I will jump on that pool because the water was cold. Never I've seen a pool that is not heated. Our hotel room was close to the restaurant so we can hear all the noises early in the morning from the other guest's eating breakfast.
There's a free wifi. Good location. Good breakfast from the restaurant except coffee was more sour than bitter. The staff won't even recognize us every time we passed by the front desk. I am still confused about the hotel reviews. I can't imagine giving this hotel Very good or Excellent rating, or maybe we were checked in to the worst room in the entire hotel? Old hotel room is okay...but dirty hotel room, unacceptable. If you have children, do not stay in this hotel, if you are planning to get wasted and party in Cabo where you will pass out every time you get in to the room and you are in a budget, go for it. We are definitely coming back to Los Cabos but we will never stay in this hotel ever again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sweet_Islander
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you, Sweet_Islander for your time and trouble as you presented your case re your recent stay with us. I can only imagine you and your husband's disappointment in that your accommodations simply did not meet your expectations. I am so sorry. I made reference in a previous review that if you are unhappy with your accommodations, please take it to management right away. A room change or upgrade often solves the problem up front. Otherwise the disappointment simply festers. As the reservations manager, I tell potential guests about the room types whenever possible and in the case of one recent honeymoon couple, I even recommended and booked a more private upstairs Garden View room for them suggesting it would be more quiet and comfortable, but they opted for the smaller Standard Room, even so. I don't know if that was you or not. As explained on our website, some rooms have the larger shower and bath arrangement, balconies or a upper level terrace walkway, which are more preferable to many. And, as previously explained as well, solar heating is the primary method for heating pools in Cabo so yes, the winter months are not as conducive to swimming than later in the spring, summer and fall. Same holds true with the Sea of Cortez. Thank you for your input. I have forwarded it directly to hotel management. We all will certainly take into consideration your comments making improvements as necessary. And, if you want to give us a second change sometime, call me at the Reservations Office. All the best to you both and I do hope Cabo gave you many happy, fun memories in spite of your disappointment with your accommodations.
California
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband booked 3 nights in this hotel and I was very disappointed, the room was smelly and the floor needed some mopping. There were plenty of water stain (hopefully those are water stain). This room doesn't have TV, no telephone so if you need something you have to walk to the front desk. The swimming pool was not heated! No wonder no one swimming in the pool. There's mosquitos inside the room. So if you are planning to stay in this hotel make sure bring something to get rid of the mosquitos or some off lotion. I have to cover the curtain with some towels because it kind a disgusting because of all the visible stains. On the good note, the all american breakfast was really good and inexpensive. The front desk agents seemed unhappy and unfriendly except Ana. The hotel was very close to Cabo Wabo so don't be surprised to hear a lot of noises at night time. I know it is a very inexpensive hotel I think we all deserve a clean hotel room!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you, SadieRose1, for your forthright review of your stay with us in Cabo. Suffice it to say your review has been forwarded to management. A couple of things worth noting... we do not list TV in room or telephone in room as part of the amenities. And, in Cabo, heated swimming pools are not too frequent. Solar heating is most common. I understand your disappointment when you are expecting certain amenities and do not get them. Also, as a word of encouragement to future guests, please, if you are dissatisfied with your accommodations, for any reason, please speak to management. Trust me when I say they will bend over backwards to do what they can to see that you are comfortable. Perhaps a room change, or an upgrade would be all it takes. I know there is nothing worse than being in accommodations that are unsatisfactory. Thank you for your candid remarks and we hope that even so, your time in Cabo was good fun and that you enjoyed the warm Baja sunshine.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

I frequent a wide variety of hotel rooms. This hotel does basic perfectly!! This is not the St Regis...and the rates reflect that. If you are looking for a room with a TV, blow dryer and room service so you can hang inside all day then you will need to look elsewhere. If you are looking for clean, comfortable and convenient with locking doors you have found it. The rooms are not fancy but they are very clean. So clean we tipped housekeeping everyday and again upon departure. I appreciate sand free floors when I'm tracking in half the beach every day. There was plenty of room if you were to bring scuba or fishing gear. There is filtered water available around the property but I still bought bigger bottles at the bodegas. I did not get in the pool but it was not crowded and it looked clean. The beds are a hard type of memory foam so there are no springs to stick you in the back. I slept great all 3 nights and woke up with zero pains...I can't say that about heavenly mattresses. The showers were always hot. Our AC unit worked like a champ. If your ac stops working make sure you didn't accidentally turn off a switch. There were a few of switches that looked to go to nothing. We had a balcony room with a garden view. The balcony was a great place to hang out. It was the slow season but we heard zero noise....none. Not sure I would want to be there for spring break or some spoiled college kid holiday but for us in January it was perfect. The very limited staff interactions were pleasant but the front desk never said hello first, they just stared and return initiated greetings. Don't be offended, I think it's cultural and they aren't trying to sell you a time share so be thankful. There was only one outlet in the room so be prepared to share. It is walking distance to everything (marina, shopping, bars, restaurants) once you find your directional bearings. Just remember it is around the corner from the back entrance to cabo wabo, go out the back door, make 2 lefts you're "home". The place seemed to be filled with return guests that use this hotel as a "go to". As long as the beds are comfy, showers are hot and the floors clean I plan on being one of those people. I did enjoy myself, I will be returning to cabo and this little gem of a hotel will be the main reason.

The restaurant we only visited for breakfast but it was filled every evening by non hotel guests so I'm assuming the restaurant either has a great reputation or it is perk of a timeshare tour...Next time I will be trying other meals there. They have a great American breakfast for $4US and $2.50 for coffee, very reasonable for Cabo.

The reason why I didn't give it a full 5 on the review...My friend paid in full online prior to arrival, they asked for a credit card when we checked in...not uncommon but since they didn't have any wireless, etc I didn't see why they needed but but I gave them mine anyway....upon check out they were able to work in another $10US mystery tax. My Spanish is not very bueno, her English was non existent and it was just easier to pay rather than attempt to find out why we were being charged $10 extra. Not breaking the bank...but...just really annoying how this quaint little village operates. (You can go down to the marina and listen to the water taxi people start at a stupid high rate and then drop $20-$30 or more in negotiation).

This was my first and only experience with Cabo. It is beautiful, perfect weather, amazing food, swimable water temps but unfortunately the locals mindset reminded me of Tijuana minus the donkeys, weird birds with digestive issues and add clean beaches. Restaurants, bars, stores, etc. will offer you a deal on one thing but rob you blind on something you don't suspect (one off site restaurant added an $8 tax on a $42 check for a reason we could not decipher so hopefully that was an added tip, because we left none.)...this hotel kept that mindset to a minimum with only the "mystery tax" and they don't allow the wandering vendors into their property which was refreshing (had the chicklet kids literally bumping into us with their hands out while we were seated and EATING at a very expensive marina restaurant). I am adding in this non hotel info because if you stay here you and you are not a hermit you will be leaving the hotel at some point since it is small with basic amenities. So be aware, know where your wallet is, ask prices of everything before committing and double check your tab!!!!!! I'm partially to blame...if my Spanish better I'm sure I could communicated more effectively. I will be learning how to say "please leave me alone today, I already gave your sister my last dollar and no I won't pay $5 for a mango" before I travel there again.

Do NOT use the transfer service associated with the hotel on their website...consider yourself warned. They are awful, the person on the phone is not the person who shows up when they decide to show up, it is NOT a private car, they operate under many different names and the loco taxi people at the airport offer the same exact rate. $32US for two people from the airport to Cabo San Lucas...about a 30min drive if you don't have to drop off 4 other people first. ;)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you, Denveropinion, for your most informative review. Thank you for taking the time to do so as well. And thank you for your business. Thanks for all the great info and critiquing not just of the hotel but the town, your experiences, and 'surprises'. No doubt the $10 fee was for the additional 5% Mexico tax imposed beginning 1 Jan 2014. The government requires that it be collected, even if you paid in full before it was implemented. Yes, no heated swimming pools to speak of in Cabo. Solar heating is a way of life down there. Regarding the transfer service, It's unfortunate your experience did not meet expectations. When you reserve a shuttle transfer you will always have others to drop off on the way to your hotel. The private taxi avoids that. I have passed on your review to the transfer service and to the hotel management as I always do in order to make adjustments and corrections to improve the experience. Thank you again. See you next time.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We spent Christmas and boxing day here (2013), courteous and helpful staff upon check-in, along with free secured parking. The rooms are pretty basic concrete, and clean for the most part, and very quiet. the linens, bed covers and towels are a bit old. pool & restaurants were nice.
best part is that everything is within walking distance from here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bill_92109
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you Bill_92109 for your kind review after your stay with us at Hotel Mar de Cortez. Location and value are always appreciated by our guests and we work hard to make sure that you are getting more than your money's worth. Accommodations are basic, agreed. Keeping in mind we are in fact an Historic Landmark Property in Cabo, basic comes from our being 'historic'. We are continually working at improving the property and we hope you will check us out again the next time you are in Cabo to see our progress. Thanks again for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review.
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 5 January 2014

What a find! First of all the place is gorgeous, vivid colors, open air layout, palm trees and vines everywhere you look. We stayed in a King Suite which is an open, large room with 2 twins and a King bed. Comfortable beds, clean room, everything worked. Every staff member was a pleasure to deal with. The on-site restaurant, Baja Peppers is nice enough. We had dinner there. While the meal itself was average, the quality of service and the passionate dedication of the chef made it a most enjoyable meal. The hotel is located right in the heart of a tourist district with all kinds of cool little shops within a couple of blocks walking distance. Also, Cabo Wabo is also a short walk away if that's your thing. The hotel also offers secure, enclosed, off-street parking at no extra charge. The place is charming without being stuffy and the staff aims to please. I didn't see any of the "filth" a couple of other reviewers have mentioned. Further, I can safely say that based on the quality of service we experienced, I believe any problems I would have brought to the staff's attention would be handled promptly and professionally. I hope that any further travel plans will require us to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: All the way back, on the ground floor with a porch facing the pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David L
Thank you David L for your thorough and enthusiastic review. Yes, we cannot please all the people all of the time. And... that is unfortunate. Fortunately, however, folks like yourself portray the kind of image we want to exude. Thank you for your kind words and extensive review about your first experience at Hotel Mar de Cortez. Indeed... if one ever has a problem, not just at our property but any property, anywhere, take it to the front desk... to management. It pays off in spades every time. We look forward to your next visit and thanks again for your kind words.
Davis, California
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I understand that this hotel is a bit of a cult classic in Cabo. I get it, people love this place for reasons of nostalgia, history, whatever, I can dig that, but buyer beware, this is not a quaint old hotel with charm and history, it's more of a filthy motel, we find along the 5 freeway in my part of CA. We spent 4 of our 8 day trip in the area here. We spent the first two at Los Milagros (will review that place later). Both places cost about the same per night, but what a huge difference in quality! Whereas Los Milagros provided clean, rustic beautiful surroundings for a budget traveler, at this hotel I almost felt like I didn't deserve nice things because I couldn't afford a $500/night hotel. Everything in the rooms is falling apart. The staff almost had this attitude, like why would we even expect anything better. The table legs were rotting, the metal hinges had rust and there was a faint smell of vomit in our room at all times (probably from a time someone vomited in the room). But I guess with five star reviews why would they be motivated to make anything better. The sheets, covers and towels were old and rough. The rooms are concrete bunkers, and our bed had mysterious black spots on the mattress (think it was mold). The place is really filthy, I just can't understand why no one mentioned this in any of the reviews. I had no problems with service, theft etc. I don't mind the rooms being basic (I didn't come to Cabo to watch TV) but after a long day of being out, I do like a place I can actually relax. I'd only recommend this place for spring breakers or others who will never see their room sober. If you come in completely wasted at 4AM it might be an OK place to crash, but for us it was totally unsuitable. I'd like to say that the nightly rate was around $70 per night, $90 for friends who booked same day. Our friends' toilet also overflowed at night and no one came to fix it at night, so they had to sleep in the room with the overflowing toilet.

I can see that this is a beloved hotel, I didn't know about it and booked it because it was available for a last minute trip during NYE. I was really hoping it would capture historical charm or offer something, but it is probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life (and I've stayed at plenty of budget accommodations including hostels and motels)

Room Tip: recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ZeeZee666
Nat D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Mar de Cortez, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello, ZeeZee666 and thank you for your very straight forward review. We regret your disappointment with Hotel Mar de Cortez but appreciate your honesty. I am sorry you didn't check out after one night since you were so unhappy. A refund would have been in order since we obviously we did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of upgrading the property and hope that next time around you might want to check us out to see the progress. All the best for 2014.