“Grateful elderly traveler”

Hotel Mar de Cortez
Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 6 June 2006

I am an 82-year-young woman who loves adventure and travel but now needs support and assistance to do so.

Last Christmas my eldest daughter was determined to send me somewhere warm and fun, and interviewed many hotels in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, before she decided to send me to the Mar De Cortez. The reservation staff (Nat) was extremely helpful in finding me the perfect room location (close to the action, no stairs, high security) and then alerting the front desk staff of my arrival and my elderly status.

I loved the hotel. It is a beautiful old hotel right in the middle of town and close to all the fun, the beach, and the marina. The staff was genuinely concerned about my welfare and very helpful. I was overjoyed to be having an adventure on my own at my age.

After that experience, my daughters decided that I could return in May for another visit. I stayed for a month this time, and just returned from one of the most fun experiences of my life. My fellow guests were mostly younger than I, but willing to include an old lady in dinner invitations and round the pool jokes and laughter. I felt like I was getting younger every day!

11  Thank fitzz77
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mar de Cortez

Reviewed 13 April 2006

I paid a little more for the terrace room ($68). The room was in pretty bad shape. The bathroom was not fully enclosed, uncomfortable beds, no garbage cans, few towels. Decent terrace. Helpful staff. Restaurant looked nasty. Easy to make reservation. Quality of the hotel was a good excuse to experience more of Cabo San Lucas.

Great location for nightlife. 5 minutes to Squid Roe and Zoo, and 20 seconds to Cabo Wabo.

15-20 minute walk to the beach. Looks closer on a map, but takes much longer to walk. Tremendous beach.

Cheap, near bars, and walkable to beach. Ideal for spring breakers, otherwise i would not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank mach411
Reviewed 13 April 2006

I was planning a bachelorette party for my best girlfriend and struggled on where to stay. Due to finances, we stayed at the Mar de Cortz and I am very happy with the results. The hotel is in the middle of everything, very clean (I am picky about clean.) Check in was great, the pool was great. Again, if you are looking to save some money and party in Cabo, this is a great place to stay. My only complaint would be the bathrooms have an "open ceiling" into the rooms which is hard to get privacy when you are staying with friends. Also, the beds are mediocore and the pillows very flat. But when you are just passing out at night, it is fine. Again, for the price and the location, it is a great deal. Great service from reservations to check out. If I was there with friends again, I would stay here. If I was on a romantic get away, I would probably stay at one of the resorts.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank ajshivar1
Reviewed 29 March 2006

First trip to Cabo, traveled with my ten year old granddaugter during spring break. I sent an email to MDC, and recieved a phone call from Nat (in US), who was very helpful. She said she'd try to get a room near the pool, and this was noted on our reservation when we arrived. She did express some concern about 10 y.o. in midst of type of guests expected spring break, but there was no problem at all. Yes, there were some noisy kids coming home between 4 and 6 a.m. who served as an amusing reminder that there are some advantages to age and wisdom.
The rooms are very basic: beds, armoire instead of closet (plenty of hangars in ours), desk with one chair, fixed table between beds. No phone, radio, clock or TV. Our room had bathroom with sink, toilet, and shower all in same room. Good water pressure, and plenty of hot water. Towels were very nice: one bath towel and one washcloth per guest. Little boxed soaps, no hairdryer, no shampoo, etc. There was a container of Kleenex. I did notice an occassional "off" odor that dissipated when I opened the windows. Our room was freshly painted and clean. Some broken and stained tiles, and the bedspreads are nothing special. The beds are quite firm, which I like. Very comfortable. Sheets and towels fresh daily, and they want you to go to the front desk to get towels for beach and pool, so no need to haul your own beach towels if you are staying here. There's a little round table and a couple of those stacking plastic chairs (frequently confiscated by adjacent guests) outside each door. For me, the main problem with the rooms is lack of lighting. I was glad I had my little book light. The one bulb in the bedroom is one of those florescent coiled ones that's supposed to last forever. The fixture is fixed to the wall. No problem unless you like to read in bed--possible but not pleasant.
The pool area is really nice and is what makes this hotel such a great value. Once she realized that renting jet-skis was not going to be an all-day everyday event, Brea preferred hanging there to going to the beach.
The on-site restaurant, Spencer's, is not particularly cheap, but does have a wonderful breakfast special for $2.50. Very good. Other items on menu not such a great value, but I did have to try the "world's greatest" French toast ($10.00) one day. Not bad, but the world's greatest title remains in Hot Springs, AR.
I do recommend this hotel for singles, people who appreciate value, groups and families. Not for the luxury loving or very picky, or for a special occasion trip. Kids are safe here. I saw one wheelchair guest. There is free secure parking in a lot behind the hotel. Lock boxes in various sizes available at front desk. Friendly staff--they made a couple reservations for me.

• Stayed: March 2006
15  Thank skipaway
A TripAdvisor Member
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed 22 March 2006

I am 24 and this was my first time traveling to Mexico.

Over all hotel: The hotel was very clean and organized. There are no elevators, but it wasn't a problem for us. The pool was surprisingly deep, I went in over my head! The are beautiful tropical gardens everywhere, cable television in the bar, $2 for a corona, there's a small convience store for snacks and gifts, the people are really friendly and helpful!!!

Rooms: My boyfriend and I stayed in the Terrace room. The rooms are what you would expect for the price. The shower and toilet are separate from the vanity. Our sheets and towels were changed everyday, purified water was there everyday too. We had a double and a single bed. Leave tips for the maids as there are no safes, one of them stole my boyfriends smoking pipe and contents. The air conditioning was ice cold, but we regret using it because we got a bad cold.

The beach: The beach is a good 15+ minute walk through town, wear good walking shoes! or walk to the marina and catch a water taxi. When you get there it is well worth it. Next time I am going to stay near the beach, since I hardly ever saw it. The water is light blue and warm. We saw an enormous jellyfish on shore. There was always a party there too, but you can also find a quiet spot to relax. Don't make eye contact with the solicitors, they will not stop bothering you.

Hotel surroundings: Across the street to the right there is a strip club called Mermaids. There are beautiful women there compared to the other ones. Surrounding the hotel are many mexican restaurants to choose from, all great prices too! The famous Cabo Wabo is right around the corner, giggling marlin is across the street from there, the club El Squid Roe is just a 5 min walk away, Hard Rock cafe is right across from El Squid Roe, ATTENTION LADIES go the The Roxx for free drinks at 10pm!!!!!! Hotel Mar de Cortez is definately right in the heart of Cabo, I recommend it to anyone looking for a good time and not too much beach time.

Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 March 2006

I've been going to the Mar de Cortez for 20 years. Now the word's getting out. I wanted to see terrible reviews so I could have the place to myself and the other regulars. Anyone who doesn't love this place must be crazy. Best location in Cabo. No overpriced taxis necessary. The staff is unbeatable. Not for those seeking luxurious acommodations.
My favorite seafood place in Cabo: The Mocambo (about a block behind Squid row in the older section). If you don't like the food there, I'll buy, send me the bill. Also, Solomon's Landing on the Marina. Bryan Solomon (from Southern Cal) runs a great place and is extremely picky about freshness & hygiene. I can hardly wait until April to attend festivities again.

Richard Pratt
Oxnard, Calif.

• Stayed: April 2005
12  Thank Richie
A TripAdvisor Member
Belmont, CA
Reviewed 4 March 2006

We were looking for decent accommodations at a good price. After reading the reviews, we booked at Mar de Cortez. We would agree with the reviews that say the rooms are clean. However, the room was a little more basic than we were hoping--it was little things like no table lamps (all lights mounted on the wall) and no hand towels (only 2 bath towels). We decided to check out, and we went down the street to the Casa Bella Boutique Hotel (which cost more but was also more what we were hoping for on vacation).

By the time we got home, we already had our refund check from the Mar de Cortez (minus the 2-day charge for checking out early which we knew about when we paid for our stay). We really appreciated their efficiency.

• Stayed: February 2006