After looking at good reviews on TripAdvisor, doing some research, and narrowing hotels down to just all-inclusive ones, I found Marina Fiesta. I knew that it wouldn't be a four or a five star, but I figured....it can't be THAT bad. "Famous last words."
The minute we hit the airport in Cabo, we started getting hustled into signing up to attend resort/timeshare presentations for free activities. So, in the airport, I decided to sign up for one because I had gotten a free activity for attending a presentation in the past. One hustle = no biggie.
But, when we arrived at the "resort", the concierge hustled us and said he'd give us more if we signed up for his presentation at 8:15am the next morning. So, we did, even though we knew waking up at 8:15am probably wasn't going to happen.The concierge called our room 5 times in the morning for two consecutive days to try to get us to wake up and attend his presentation. We were pissed, so I complained to the front desk and he stopped. Needless to say, he was barely cordial after that. Adding insult to injury....EVERY time we'd walk around the marina or sit down for a meal, someone would try to hustle us!
On top of that, it seemed like everyone wanted our money...... Wait staff would stand over us and watch us sign our checks to see how much tip we were going to give them. In fact, you can't even get good service unless you give large tips for adequate service. After awhile, we just decided that we didn't want to do any activities and preferred to eat, sleep, and go to the beach. We felt trapped in a world of hustlers..Trust NO ONE!
On the third day of "Mexico hell", I decided that I would exercise to relieve some stress. (Note: The cardio room was underground and you had to walk through the darkly lit spa in order to get to it. There were two entrance doors to the cardio room (one for women and one for men), and no windows.) So, I get on the treadmill and start running. After two minutes the first set of lights cut off...Then, after two more minutes, all the lights cut off. I pulled out my earphones so that I could hear and practically killed myself to get to the door. I asked the little old Mexican woman in the hallway what was wrong with the lights. Her response was, "It happens....". So, I figure.... I can do this, maybe that was just a one time thing? I get on the treadmill and start running. After two minutes the first set of lights cut off...Then, after two more minutes, all the lights cut off. Now, I was running in the dark and I started to think about all of the kidnapping stories in Mexico that I'd heard of. Needless to say, I decided that exercising wasn't worth it.
In the middle of the week, I got sick for about 24 hours... which happens when you have unsanitary conditions and crappy health codes.
On Thursday, after careful examination of wear, tear, and chew marks...we concluded that our straws were used. (Visions of possible contracted diseases flooded my mind.)
Upon returning, I received a surprise. Who knew that Mexico was the gift that would keep on giving. When I checked in at Marina Fiesta, they told me that they were putting a $1 peso hold on my credit card for incidentals. On Monday, after I got back to the states, I checked my credit card account and there was a $390.32 USD hold still on my account. When I called them, they had no recollection of it. Needless to say, this took several days and documents to sort out and they still charged me $1 peso/ $0.80 USD to take the hold off.
In conclusion, I'm good on Mexico and will be content to resume eating Mexican food 4 months from now in the good old United States of America. Say NO to Marina Fiesta.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Or the ultimate Cabo vacation with the best location, luxurious accommodations, and the most amazing experience, the Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa is unbeatable. Experience the heart of Cabo San Lucas at it's best and take advantage of its unique Dine Out All Inclusive concept where you can enjoy an A la Carte All-Inclusive dining at a selection of fine dining restaurants and bars down at the Marina Golden Zone and at selected restaurants at its sister resort Hacienda Encantada. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Fiesta Resort And Spa
- Marina Fiesta Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico