“Mexican Hell.......”

Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, California
“Mexican Hell.......”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

After looking at good reviews on TripAdvisor, doing some research, and narrowing hotels down to just all-inclusive ones, I found Marina Fiesta. I knew that it wouldn't be a four or a five star, but I figured....it can't be THAT bad. "Famous last words."

The minute we hit the airport in Cabo, we started getting hustled into signing up to attend resort/timeshare presentations for free activities. So, in the airport, I decided to sign up for one because I had gotten a free activity for attending a presentation in the past. One hustle = no biggie.

But, when we arrived at the "resort", the concierge hustled us and said he'd give us more if we signed up for his presentation at 8:15am the next morning. So, we did, even though we knew waking up at 8:15am probably wasn't going to happen.The concierge called our room 5 times in the morning for two consecutive days to try to get us to wake up and attend his presentation. We were pissed, so I complained to the front desk and he stopped. Needless to say, he was barely cordial after that. Adding insult to injury....EVERY time we'd walk around the marina or sit down for a meal, someone would try to hustle us!

On top of that, it seemed like everyone wanted our money...... Wait staff would stand over us and watch us sign our checks to see how much tip we were going to give them. In fact, you can't even get good service unless you give large tips for adequate service. After awhile, we just decided that we didn't want to do any activities and preferred to eat, sleep, and go to the beach. We felt trapped in a world of hustlers..Trust NO ONE!

On the third day of "Mexico hell", I decided that I would exercise to relieve some stress. (Note: The cardio room was underground and you had to walk through the darkly lit spa in order to get to it. There were two entrance doors to the cardio room (one for women and one for men), and no windows.) So, I get on the treadmill and start running. After two minutes the first set of lights cut off...Then, after two more minutes, all the lights cut off. I pulled out my earphones so that I could hear and practically killed myself to get to the door. I asked the little old Mexican woman in the hallway what was wrong with the lights. Her response was, "It happens....". So, I figure.... I can do this, maybe that was just a one time thing? I get on the treadmill and start running. After two minutes the first set of lights cut off...Then, after two more minutes, all the lights cut off. Now, I was running in the dark and I started to think about all of the kidnapping stories in Mexico that I'd heard of. Needless to say, I decided that exercising wasn't worth it.

In the middle of the week, I got sick for about 24 hours... which happens when you have unsanitary conditions and crappy health codes.

On Thursday, after careful examination of wear, tear, and chew marks...we concluded that our straws were used. (Visions of possible contracted diseases flooded my mind.)

Upon returning, I received a surprise. Who knew that Mexico was the gift that would keep on giving. When I checked in at Marina Fiesta, they told me that they were putting a $1 peso hold on my credit card for incidentals. On Monday, after I got back to the states, I checked my credit card account and there was a $390.32 USD hold still on my account. When I called them, they had no recollection of it. Needless to say, this took several days and documents to sort out and they still charged me $1 peso/ $0.80 USD to take the hold off.

In conclusion, I'm good on Mexico and will be content to resume eating Mexican food 4 months from now in the good old United States of America. Say NO to Marina Fiesta.

7 Thank lasAlexander
MarinaFiestaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 October 2012
Dear Mr. Alexander We wold really appreciate your contacting us to the following e-mail abriseno@mexicograndhotels.com in order to crarify the issues you made in your comment

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of my life. I have never written a hotel review before, but this place was ever deserving of one! First, if you buy the all-inclusive deal, it is NOT all-inclusive. It consists of 2 cans of Coca-Cola, 2 cans of diet Coke, 4 bottles of 8-oz bottled water, and four cans of the cheapest beer in the world. That's what you are allowed per day. If you want more, you will be charged. Now, for the restaurants, you have La Palapa (DO NOT EVER EAT AT LA PALAPA unless you are hoping to empty the contents of your stomach immediately), and four restaurants which are basically just one kitchen.

NOW REGARDING THE STRAWS>>>
We stayed at the Marina Fiesta Penitentiary for 7 days. For the first few days we only drank bottled water and coke at the restaurants. On the third day while at lunch, I looked into my glass before sipping, and noticed that there was already liquid in the straw. Examining the straw more closely, I saw that both ends were extremely tattered. I looked at my wife's straw and her straw was flattened (in the way that straws are flattened after you bite the straw); she had not yet touched her straw. For the remained of the trip, we only drank bottled water at those included restaurants. They however, decided that they wanted to continue to give us cokes and straws with each meal, but the condition of the straws never changed. That hotel REUSES straws!!!....for health and sanitation reasons this is BAD!!!

Sigh...the concierge called our room 5 times a day for the first three days in an attempt to get us to go on the stupid 8:15 timeshare tour. This started at 7am each morning, and eventually we had to just leave the phone off of the hook.

I hated every minute at this place. By the second day of our trip, we were looking for flights home because this 1-star just was not worth it....horrible service, horrible sanitation, horrible hotel (if you can call it that) experience. On the last day of our stay, we left for the airport 6 hours early so that we could enjoy good service.

DO NOT STAY HERE whatever the cost!!!!

7 Thank Hubert A
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2016

san diego
Reviewed 1 October 2012

stayed from Wednesday through Sunday this past week and couldnt have been more pleased with the rooms and property. We did the all inclusive package, which for the price, was an outstanding value. The food selection was more limited than we had expected, but all in all, it was a good deal. Would definitly book again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2016
Dear Guest Thank you for your review

Benicia, California
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Great location, beautiful resort, the best all inclusive food package, the food was amazing!!!! Staff was wonderful, Pedro the bell boy was awesome, he really helped us have wonder vacation with his knowledge of the location and all activities! I would definitely visit this hotel again!!!

Room Tip: We had a room with a queen bed pool view but we coul still the marina our room was perfect for us be...
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 26 September 2012

It was our first time in Cabo about a month ago and I can honestly say, staying at the Marina Fiesta will bring us back to Cabo for sure! The food was good, great choice of restaurants. Friendly staff, aside from the time share presentation which was beyond pushy and rude. Carlos was the man! He made us feel at home from the minute we arrived at the resort, don't think our trip would have been the same without him around. The swim up bar was ideal! Have been recommending this trip since we got back :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest Thank you for your review

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I was suppose to stay at the Riu Santa Fe but the place was flooded and they moved us to the Marina Fiesta. Thank god they did! We had an awesome time. Perfect location. Food was great. And I am a food snob. ONLY issue is that they make you sign everytime you order a drink which I found very annoying, but would def stay there again. I would actually be interested in doing the time share there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas, USA
Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and we've been alot of places and this all inclusive was wonderful...staff was friendly and informative and the resort was very clean and the restaurant choices and service was excellent! We are already looking forward to our next trip here!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2016
Dear Guest

We are certain to know that next time you visit us you will be impressed with the service. and Facilities!

Thank you!