“Great location and wonderful staff!”

Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We booked our stay using a Groupon for 4 nights 5 days which included daily breakfast and a $50 spa credit. Great location on the marina and close to everything we ever wanted. The staff is superb. From check in to check out we were treated like royalty. My favorite employee that stood out the most was Pedro, the Bell Boy. This is funny, one evening I went to the Concierge desk and Pedro was on the computer. I assumed he was the concierge. I told him we wanted to have dinner at the Office. He made the reservation for me but, was stumbling around trying to find the number. We had a good laugh together after I realized he wasn't the concierge. Pedro also helped me with the fish we caught which we put in their freezer. When it was time for the shuttle to the airport, Pedro, made sure our bags were on the van and we were on our way. Great employee! Breakfast was served buffet style and varied from day to day. Eggs/omelets cooked to order and once again superb service. I used the spa credit to get a manicure. Probably the most thorough manicure I've ever had. A few quibbles: as we were checking we were accosted by the man that does the time share sign ups. He was immediately in our faces trying to get us to sign up for the presentation and all they hype that went with it. We hadn't been there but a few minutes. I told him as nice as I could that we weren't interested. He started yelling at us, "let me do my job". I finally told him to "get the hell out of my face" and went to the bar to get away from him. He followed us there and once again started his hype about the presentation and doing his job! I was shocked to have this type of treatment on the property..leaving the Cabo airport is bad enough. When we left our room later on, I had to sneak behind the wall just to avoid him. Also, one day our room had not been cleaned. When we came back from dinner, the beds had been made but, we found all of our trash from the trash cans in the toilet! (kleenex, dental floss, soap wrappers, etc etc) and only 2 towels had been replaced. It must be their practice to dump the trash in the toilet and flush it down. I'm sure they have plumbing problems at that rate. To me it' was pure laziness. I called the front desk and reported it. The next day our room was cleaned exceptionally well. : ) Our room was outdated. Very poor lighting, loud A/C, old TV with a very dirty remote control, In order to get ice for your room, you have to go to the bar and hope he has a plastic bag to put it in. One last thing were all the daily fees of $29,27. $10 of this was because we used a Groupon which Groupon did NOT put on their ad. They even charged us an additional fee of $8 to put used their freezer for our fish (15 lbs). Overall, we'd return to Marina Fiesta but, will be more aware of the extra fees and duck when we see the time share dude! : )

Room Tip: ask for the remodeled rooms and make sure you have one on the marina side. Gorgeous views!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank divetravlr
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2016

There are newer reviews for Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa

Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Was average resort. Good location at Cabo marina. The problem is the all inclusive program. Thankful for the all inclusive package but all the paperwork that comes along with it is a little ridiculous. For one water you have to wait for waiter to print up your receipt. Then you must print your name, room number, gratuity, total, sign name and bracelet number. A little much for one water. Everything you eat and drink is monitored and must be accounted for. I found this to be a little overkill. Resort was fairly clean. Pool was not clean.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank pambarn
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2016

Dear Guest,

We apreciate your comments, Thank you

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Many thanks to all of the staff at Marina Fiesta for taking such good care of us during our stay last week. Special thanks to Carlos, Bernardo, Joaquin, Salomon and Alejandro our amigos, you are the best!!!! We have stayed here for the past three years and have never been disappointed. Can't wait to see you all again next year!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jill S
MarinaFiestaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your experience during your recent stay. It is with great pleasure that we have read your report filled with such valuable feedback and we would like to thank you for your high rating.
Hopefully you will be able to come back soon.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed at the Marina Fiesta 2 weeks ago and loved the location! The food was good for all-inclusive, not incredible, but good. Rooms were nice and roomy, beds were comfortable, staff was nice, we especially loved Bernardo at the pool bar! I found myself wishing we were on a beach, but for those of you who want to be right downtown, it's great! It's also a smaller resort, so for those you don't like to do a lot of walking it's perfect. The only downside was that because you can opt for the all-inclusive or not, you have to sign a bill for everything...took a little getting used to, but wasn't so bad.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed 2 October 2012

After looking at good reviews on TripAdvisor, doing some research, and narrowing hotels down to just all-inclusive ones, I found Marina Fiesta. I knew that it wouldn't be a four or a five star, but I figured....it can't be THAT bad. "Famous last words."

The minute we hit the airport in Cabo, we started getting hustled into signing up to attend resort/timeshare presentations for free activities. So, in the airport, I decided to sign up for one because I had gotten a free activity for attending a presentation in the past. One hustle = no biggie.

But, when we arrived at the "resort", the concierge hustled us and said he'd give us more if we signed up for his presentation at 8:15am the next morning. So, we did, even though we knew waking up at 8:15am probably wasn't going to happen.The concierge called our room 5 times in the morning for two consecutive days to try to get us to wake up and attend his presentation. We were pissed, so I complained to the front desk and he stopped. Needless to say, he was barely cordial after that. Adding insult to injury....EVERY time we'd walk around the marina or sit down for a meal, someone would try to hustle us!

On top of that, it seemed like everyone wanted our money...... Wait staff would stand over us and watch us sign our checks to see how much tip we were going to give them. In fact, you can't even get good service unless you give large tips for adequate service. After awhile, we just decided that we didn't want to do any activities and preferred to eat, sleep, and go to the beach. We felt trapped in a world of hustlers..Trust NO ONE!

On the third day of "Mexico hell", I decided that I would exercise to relieve some stress. (Note: The cardio room was underground and you had to walk through the darkly lit spa in order to get to it. There were two entrance doors to the cardio room (one for women and one for men), and no windows.) So, I get on the treadmill and start running. After two minutes the first set of lights cut off...Then, after two more minutes, all the lights cut off. I pulled out my earphones so that I could hear and practically killed myself to get to the door. I asked the little old Mexican woman in the hallway what was wrong with the lights. Her response was, "It happens....". So, I figure.... I can do this, maybe that was just a one time thing? I get on the treadmill and start running. After two minutes the first set of lights cut off...Then, after two more minutes, all the lights cut off. Now, I was running in the dark and I started to think about all of the kidnapping stories in Mexico that I'd heard of. Needless to say, I decided that exercising wasn't worth it.

In the middle of the week, I got sick for about 24 hours... which happens when you have unsanitary conditions and crappy health codes.

On Thursday, after careful examination of wear, tear, and chew marks...we concluded that our straws were used. (Visions of possible contracted diseases flooded my mind.)

Upon returning, I received a surprise. Who knew that Mexico was the gift that would keep on giving. When I checked in at Marina Fiesta, they told me that they were putting a $1 peso hold on my credit card for incidentals. On Monday, after I got back to the states, I checked my credit card account and there was a $390.32 USD hold still on my account. When I called them, they had no recollection of it. Needless to say, this took several days and documents to sort out and they still charged me $1 peso/ $0.80 USD to take the hold off.

In conclusion, I'm good on Mexico and will be content to resume eating Mexican food 4 months from now in the good old United States of America. Say NO to Marina Fiesta.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank lasAlexander
MarinaFiestaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2012

Dear Mr. Alexander We wold really appreciate your contacting us to the following e-mail abriseno@mexicograndhotels.com in order to crarify the issues you made in your comment

Reviewed 2 October 2012

This was the worst hotel experience of my life. I have never written a hotel review before, but this place was ever deserving of one! First, if you buy the all-inclusive deal, it is NOT all-inclusive. It consists of 2 cans of Coca-Cola, 2 cans of diet Coke, 4 bottles of 8-oz bottled water, and four cans of the cheapest beer in the world. That's what you are allowed per day. If you want more, you will be charged. Now, for the restaurants, you have La Palapa (DO NOT EVER EAT AT LA PALAPA unless you are hoping to empty the contents of your stomach immediately), and four restaurants which are basically just one kitchen.

NOW REGARDING THE STRAWS>>>
We stayed at the Marina Fiesta Penitentiary for 7 days. For the first few days we only drank bottled water and coke at the restaurants. On the third day while at lunch, I looked into my glass before sipping, and noticed that there was already liquid in the straw. Examining the straw more closely, I saw that both ends were extremely tattered. I looked at my wife's straw and her straw was flattened (in the way that straws are flattened after you bite the straw); she had not yet touched her straw. For the remained of the trip, we only drank bottled water at those included restaurants. They however, decided that they wanted to continue to give us cokes and straws with each meal, but the condition of the straws never changed. That hotel REUSES straws!!!....for health and sanitation reasons this is BAD!!!

Sigh...the concierge called our room 5 times a day for the first three days in an attempt to get us to go on the stupid 8:15 timeshare tour. This started at 7am each morning, and eventually we had to just leave the phone off of the hook.

I hated every minute at this place. By the second day of our trip, we were looking for flights home because this 1-star just was not worth it....horrible service, horrible sanitation, horrible hotel (if you can call it that) experience. On the last day of our stay, we left for the airport 6 hours early so that we could enjoy good service.

DO NOT STAY HERE whatever the cost!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Hubert A

Reviewed 1 October 2012

stayed from Wednesday through Sunday this past week and couldnt have been more pleased with the rooms and property. We did the all inclusive package, which for the price, was an outstanding value. The food selection was more limited than we had expected, but all in all, it was a good deal. Would definitly book again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends