“Wonderful! Perfect for solo travelers and anyone else”
Review of Cabo Inn Hotel

Cabo Inn Hotel
Ranked #42 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Brooklyn, New York
“Wonderful! Perfect for solo travelers and anyone else”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is a GEM! The location could not be more convenient- right next to the beach and lots of fantastic restaurants and taquerias. There is free coffee and fast wi-fi, so no need to waste your vacation checking email in starbucks. I was traveling alone and met some friendly folks at the community kitchen and table in the center of the bottom floor and, after renting snorkling gear from the Inn for only $5/day, took a bus to Santa Maria and had an amazing afternoon! Though not quite a hostel atmosphere, it was a great spot to meet people and explore the area on a budget.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower levels are a bit dark but I found it refreshing after a day at the beach :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Abigail M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been to Cabo San Lucas several times and have stayed in a lot of different resorts. I enjoyed the resorts, but thought I would save myself a little money and stay at the Cabo Inn. I know several people that have had great experiences with the inn. I can say that the room is exactly what I expected. It's just a basic room with a bathroom. They are very clean and worth the money......But I had one issue.

When checking in you pay a $5 refundable fee for the room key. I paid in cash and when I checked out it appeared that they had lost the money. Not really a big deal to me, but then I was accused of not tipping the maids so they took the money. Just for the record I tipped the maids daily, which is custom in Mexico, and the money was taken by the maids daily. Just to be accused of not tipping without actually asking was a bit insulting.

Overall I had a good experience and won't let one lady ruin the great 4 days I had at the hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with a mini fridge. I don't think they cost anymore money. If you don't your...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank justburg
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The photos online do not properly show how disgusting this place is. Everything was covered in dust. The palapas, which are suppose to be the highlight of the place, were dirty, the doors didn't lock, and not to mention that they were on the roof of a building in the middle of the busiest part of the city. When we arrived, they were jackhammering trying to fix a plumping problem. There was no running water and when we returned at 10:30pm to tell them we were leaving and staying somewhere else, they were still drilling.
If you are down for a hostel type of place, then this place would be fine for you. If you are looking for a nice room on your vacation, don't be fooled by the photos. It's not what it looks like.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 406awesome
Mazatlan, Mexico
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I really enjoyed this place. There was lots of great people staying here and the owners and staff we all so friendly and helpful. The rooftop chill area and pool was my favorite past of this cozy mexican hotel. The whole place felt warm and inviting and had a great vibe about it.
Thanks for the great stay.

Room Tip: Rooftop rooms are amazing and you'll wish you booked one when you see them in person. Don't...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hostel_FunkyMonkey
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The Cabo Inn could be one of the last traditional family-run Mexican inns.

Although small, the rooms are clean. And, really, if you are in paradise, how much time do you intend to spend in your room? They are beautifully decorated in the custom of Michoacan and are subtly made larger by the addition of tables and chairs just outside the rooms on the mezzanine, a mezzanine lush with plants offering a sense of privacy. There is generous space to set your laptop or share a beverage or a meal with another guest. The internet is surprising fast for Mexico. Not without significance, the shower is amazing and the water is hot.

The Cabo Inn is close to many good restaurants and the staff provides you with a listing of them along with a map of the area so you can find your way around. The personnel is helpful but not hovering. One employee helped me with my Spanish and the maid offered to take my shoes out to be polished for return the next day. My Spanish is appalling so, although I'm not certain about the Cabo Inn, often staff in Mexico will take your clothes home and wash them, even iron them, for a small tip. Based on my (limited) understanding that she would have my shoes shined, I'm assuming that you could ask for laundry services as well. I give 50 pesos for a load but I think they would do it for less. Just, please, don't 'foul the water' on that one, okay? I love having my laundry returned to my room smelling of being line-dried. Me gusta!

Cabs are expensive in Cabo San Lucas but buses are cheap. Bus routes are at either end of the block and come every few minutes. Hopping on a bus and getting completely lost is one of my favourite things to do in an unfamiliar place and, don't worry, they always return to where they picked you up, although the driver may ask you for another fare. The driver will usually give you change but it's better to have the right change. The first time I took a bus, I gave the driver 200 pesos and didn't get change. I don't think he had enough to make change. After that, even though I knew the fare was 20 pesos, I gave 5 or 10. As well as I could understand, they have special fare considerations for the dimwitted so, after the 200 peso incident, I chose to claim that exemption. Strangely, no one said a thing. Being close to the vitality of Cabo but located on a quiet side-street offers both the advantage of accessibility and the tranquility of being off of the beaten track.

The atmosphere is traditional and hospitable and maintains the feel of a simpler and more wholesome time. It is laid out in the hacienda style with plenty of spaces to interact with other guests as well as ample comfy nooks to just chill on your own if you choose. The pool and library and sitting area on the third level are usually vacant because, of course, the inn is situated in Cabo San Lucas. Who can read when you can hear the ocean calling? But, if you're weary from traveling, this is a great place to recuperate and, if you're looking for fun, there are fine restaurants and clubs steps away. The family who owns and runs the posada has been doing this for a good long time and surely knows something compelling about ambiance and hospitality.

They say Cabo is for lovers and everywhere you go, you'll see couples. I wonder if this has more to do with the fact that they use Damiana (a local aphrodisiac) in the margaritas rather than Triple Sec. If you're so inclined, the Cabo Inn has its own romantic charm. Although I didn't see inside, I heard that the entire top floor is a honeymoon suite. There is a separate staircase leading up to the fourth floor, which makes it exclusive and romantic.

One caution. At the time that you make your reservation, the Inn will make arrangements for a shuttle to pick you up at SJD (San Jose del Cabo airport) for $20 USD, which is a reasonable amount, but, on the way back, you need to make other arrangements. There is no shuttle TO the airport. This has something to do with the cab drivers' union. A cab trip back to the airport can cost you $85 USD or somewhere less than $50 USD if you are prepared to negotiate. Never fear. You don't need to pay that. If you walk down Calle Narciso Mendoza (to your left as you exit the inn) near to where it meets Camino Real, a couple of short blocks, you can catch a bus to within a few hundred feet of Terminal 2 for 32 pesos. Buses leave every eight minutes. There is a man who stays at the bus stop and will help you load your bags for a small tip (20 pesos?) and the bus driver will also get up and put your bags on and take them off for you when you get to the airport (50 pesos worked like a charm). With my suitcase, it took the two of them. They take a different route along the coast and through San Jose del Cabo which is interesting as well and it doesn't take significantly longer than the shuttle or a cab. If you're really lazy, you can ask at Fox car rental for a ride up to Terminal 2. If they are not busy, they might but don't forget to tip so the next person who might really need the help isn't compromised. It's a short walk but it's along a road, which can be busy at arrival times.

For $50 USD for the basic room in high season, the Cabo Inn Hotel is a delightful and charming alternative. I love being immersed in the real Mexico, which, particularly in Cabo, is all too rapidly giving way to time shares and resorts. I stayed in January and again in March. The Cabo Inn Hotel was consistently good quality.

Mucho bueno!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank TheDonaldaAdventure
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Location was awesome and the owner was super. He gave us information about the area and tips on good restaurants. He brought us to a local restaurant where the tacos were delicious! We were looking for an inexpensive place to stay. I usually stay at all inclusive resorts but was on a budget. The hotel was quaint and small but we didn't go to Cabo to stay in the room. All in all, I'd stay there again. If one wants an inexpensive room with great staff and great location, Cabo Inn is the place.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Laurekay
Hundested, Denmark
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Cabo Inn is the right place to stay in Cabo San Lucas.
We enjoyed our stay 110%! The staff is helpfull and nice, rooms simple, but contained what you need, the location is perfect if you want to be colse to the center, but not in the middle of it all.
And most of all, it felt like beeing home.
Our best recomandations, and we will for sure be back.

Room Tip: If you prefer a more quiet stay, you should ask for rooms on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple