“Nice view, ok food”

Puerta Vieja Restaurant
Ranked #126 of 608 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We have dined here several times in the past but our last visit was disappointing. The view and ambiance are always nice. The hostess was friendly. The food this time was just ok. We shared the Caesar salad, which was probably the best part of our meal. My husband ordered steak and I had pasta. Both lacked flavor. Service was ok. Not sure if we will give this place another chance. We come out of convenience when we don't feel like going downtown. There are so many restaurants in town that we think are a lot better.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My cousin and I just had a great dining experience at Puerta Vieja!!! Cesar (our waiter) was extremely attentive and anticipated our needs before we had to ask. They start off by giving you a delicious cactus appetizer, as well as some amazing salsa. The food just kept getting better from there. In addition, we were able to see a magnificent sunset from our outdoor view. To top off our wonderful dining experience, we were able to listen to the sweet dulcet tones of Tony (the keyboardist's) music. Overall a great dining experience!

2  Thank jennys22577
Reviewed 26 July 2014

OK, maybe it was an off night, but my Lord the service was horrid the night we went there and no one every apologized even after our party brought it to their attention several times.

I will say that all of the food was very good...when we finally were served but this just left such a bad taste in our mouths we could never recommend this place.

We called in advance to make a dinner reservation so they knew it was party of three couples with kids, it's not like we were a surprise.

I review a ton of places in my travels so don't think this is just someone going off, I give every restaurant the benefit of the doubt. I've been to cities on both coasts of Mexico plus Monterrey so I understand the pace of service.

If it were me, I'd fire the manager and learn about customer service pronto.

1  Thank bfchef
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I really enjoyed dinner at Puerta Vieja. The service was excellent; they were speedy and friendly, and flexible about substitutions (mashed potatoes instead of rice, for example). Corkage was only $10. The meal started with a selection of steamed veggies; I especially enjoyed the cactus. Three of us had the garlic sea bass, which was served in a rich buttery sauce; the other had the stuffed fillet. She reported that they were very generous with the lobster and shrimp stuffing; the fish was also sea bass in a cream sauce. We sat on the upper deck and enjoyed looking at the beautiful Sea of Cortez as we ate. I will definitely return!

PVieja_VillaS-Cabos, Guest Relations Manager at Puerta Vieja Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write such a wonderful and sincere review, we are truly honored to hear that you had an amazing time at the restaurant. We look forward to pampering you in your next visit and we will do our best to make it even more memorable!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you are after a great steak, this is the place to go. The location is magnificent as you look toward the town and the service is excellent. There was music by Rosalia de Cuba along with the Band Los Cabos and it created the perfect ambience during dinner with a lively time following dinner. The steaks were cooked exactly as requested and a 12-14 oz. fillet is amazing. The ribeye does provide the better taste as you may expect, but both are delicious.

We are glad you enjoyed the menu, music and a good service with your family at Puerta Vieja. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
It would be a pleasure to have you back with us on your next trip.
Hasta Pronto!