“Another Great Stay”

Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GR, Wyoming
“Another Great Stay”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

If you look hard enough you can find somethign wrong with anywhere you go. Same thing applies here, but there aren't very many things wrong with Sirena Del Mar. Currently they are working on a new building, so during daylight hours there is noise and activity, but I didn't notice it from our room or by the beach. Generally, we only noticed the noise walking from our room to the pool or whenever we were close by the construction site. It did NOT detract from our visit, from the nice pool, from the beach, from the view, and certainly not from the great staff that we always enjoy visiting with when we are there (this was our third stay here). I know they have had plenty of complaints about the noise, but we didn't focus on it and it didn't bother us. The views from every room are incredible, the pool is nice and cool, great on a hot day, and the grounds are kept nice and clean. There are a few things to keep in mind though, that I hope the resort is also thinking about:

The pool is not large enough for added people. When the place is full, there are barely enough chairs to go around and the pool gets crowded quickly. We noticed people going down early and putting stuff on chairs to "save" them for later, taking up space for quite a long time while they were somewhere else. Not the resort's fault, but possibly an opportunity to figure out a better use of space around the pool. Bartender attendance at the pool bar is sketchy at times, causing a longer wait than sometimes I would have liked. I made numerous visits to the room to "restock" when they were away for too long. The food in general is good, not great, but nothing I will complain about (my breakfast chicken enchiladas were excellent). The rooms are fantastic, with great views and nice appointments. It is not a "party" resort by any means but they do offer fun activities during the day.

Someone mentioned that it is hard to find, and I agree, but once you get the right landmarks it's easy from then on.

We have already reserved our week for next year.

Room Tip: Higher floors for longer views. Avoid room 1104, which has a balcony right by the pool deck and ver...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank goobeedee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I chose to honeymoon at the Sirena Del Mar and TripAdvisor reviews factored heavily into that decision, so I feel I should also leave my own now that we've had the chance to experience it for ourselves.

In a word, it was perfect. Our room, the view, the weather, everything - it was perfect. We were placed in a 3rd floor "A" suite in the newer building and our view was the gorgeous turquoise private beach below. The rooms are awesome - comfy bed, dual head shower + a "rain" showerhead, full kitchen, and a washer/dryer with detergent. I have read that some reviewers weren't fans of the non-daily housekeeping, but as honeymooners we enjoyed the privacy. Our favorite feature was the enormous outdoor patio with the hammock. I had one of the best naps of my life in that hammock, with the waves crashing below and the sea breeze on my legs. Every day we woke up to watch the sunrise, and we lost count of how many whales we saw breaching, jumping, and slapping the water. It was stunning.

Outside of our room we spent a lot of time on the comfy deck chairs poolside. We both tore through two books in 6 days!! When it got warm we would dip into both pools, and spent half a day by the hot tub which is on a lower level and offers a little more privacy than the main level pools. The whole layout of the place is well planned and takes advantage of the natural cliffs and views, and you never feel crowded out. Wherever you sit, you'll have a wonderful view. There is construction going on, but it only really bothered us once. When it is done it will be a beautiful addition, and we look forward to seeing it completed.

We had dinner one night at the restaurant, sitting near the fire pit dining al fresco. The food was very good. Very expensive, but very good. We didn't mind the cost because 1) It's a luxury resort and we expected it, 2) honeymoon - why not? and 3) With the full kitchen and a Costco and Walmart nearby we had plenty of cheap food and drinks in our room, so this was a treat for us. Service was attentive but allowed us time to enjoy and linger over our meal. Another day we enjoyed lunch at the "land bar" (as opposed to the swim-up bar in the pool). A burger, an order of ceviche, and 2 drinks each was about $50 US - again, expensive, but again, we expected it.

We opted to sit through the optional timeshare presentation. They will offer this to you upon your arrival and entice you to sit through it with a $150 credit for an activity or spa service (we chose an incredibly relaxing couples massage). It is 100% optional and you can always say no! Our sales rep was very friendly and kind, and understanding when after hearing the details of ownership declined to participate. It IS a wonderful resort, and they were angling to give us a good deal (it was a bit like car shopping, with the "let me check with my manager" kind of stuff) but we remained firm and in the words of our sales rep "parted as friends".

The massage was worth it and a wonderful honeymoon treat for my husband and I. The resort does not have a dedicated spa yet, and our massage started 20 minutes past the booked time but just consider it "vacation time" and relax and enjoy the amazing outdoor setting while you have a great massage.

Being honeymooners we spent a lot of time away from the resort events, but we stopped by the Friday Mexican fiesta and it looked like a lot of fun. Manny is the man who arranges all the activities and there is something to do every day, from aqua aerobics at noon to bartending classes. We went snorkeling one morning at the amazing little beach and I was AMAZED at how many tropical fish we saw in such a small area. I saw angelfish, electric blue tropical fish, HUGE pipefish, even a puffer fish and a brittle sea star. The resort is next to a condo complex and people from the complex bring their dogs on the beach; there is an adorable Rottweiler who swims with the fish and he was making us laugh so much. It was just magical. Definitely take advantage of the snorkeling!!

Yes, it is a bit of walk to the beach, but its worth appreciating because it keeps the beach relatively private. All beaches in Mexico are public, but since this particular beach is surrounded by rocky cliffs and is only accessible through the resort, the condo complex, and a few private residences it keeps the beach very private. The resort will provide you with towels, beach chairs, and any snorkeling equipment. There are covered umbrella-type things on the beach for shade.

We chose to rent a car and have no regrets about that. Mandatory taxes and insurance rates WILL jack up the cost of your car rental so prepare for that. We booked our car with credit card points so the taxes/insurance were all we paid, which was about $140 for 7 days. This paid for itself by allowing us to avoid taking cabs everywhere. The resort is just a few miles from downtown Cabo and street parking is free (look for the giant "E" signs). Sirena del Mar offer complimentary parking, and if you go to WalMart or any other store they will unpack your car and bring your bags to your room.

The staff is top notch. Francisco was the first person at the resort we met, and he always greeted us with a huge smile and a friendly welcome and when we left we felt like we said goodbye to a friend. Everyone we met was so friendly - Jazzie our concierge, all the front desk staff, Manny and all the bartenders and food staff were so kind. Again, like our sales rep said, we felt like we parted as friends.

This was the best vacation I've ever taken. For my husband and I, it was just the perfect honeymoon. We 100% recommend Sirena del Mar to anyone looking for a romantic getaway in Cabo San Lucas, and look forward to returning as soon as we can.

3 Thank Snowymom27
Houston,TX
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Between the loud hip hop music and the construction behind the pool is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. The food and drinks are overpriced and very mediocre. The activities director (Manny) is obnoxious and the resort is difficult to find. The good is that the rooms are clean and the views are good.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank rk3802
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife, baby,and I visited the Welk Sirena Del Mar at the beginning of February 2014. We are owners at their Escondido (San Diego) property, and booked through Welk directly. Booking and exchange was easy, but Jan/Feb is high season, so book early.

About a month before we arrived, Jazzie from the Concierge desk, contacted me via email about our stay and asked if we needed transportation and asked if we needed anything else. I had originally planned on renting a car at the airport and driving to the resort. However, she told me that the airport fees/taxes were quite high and that the final costs of the car rental may be double what you expect. I had remembered from our previous trip to Cabo that the rental was expensive, and even at the car rental office, there were plenty of solicitors for time shares, etc. So I decided to arrange for private transportation for our family. She said that if I still needed a car, they could arrange for one at the resort directly, and save on the airport fees.

We arrived at the new, beautiful international terminal on time, but had to wait almost an hour going through customs. We walked out the airport and our driver was patiently waiting outside with a sign. We had brought our own car seat for my 8month old baby, but didn't need it, as there was a car seat already installed in the van. Great! Honestly, after spending time traveling, going through customs, etc, it was nice being driven to the resort.

We arrived at around 430pm and was happily greeted by Francisco, the bellman, who held our bags while we checked in. Check in was easy, and we were asked to see the concierge. We met Jazzie, who gave us a 10% off card for any purchases made at the resort, as well as discounts in town. There was the customary mild time share sell of setting up a appointment to talk, but we declined, and were on our way to our room.

Right now, there are only two buildings at Sirena Del Mar: building one and three. Construction was being done behind building one and, I believe, scheduled to be finished in October. The resort is small--only 62 rooms (thats why it books up fast). There are two pools (one infinity, and one mini lap pool), and one jaccuzzi, and one restaurant, Las Palapas. There is a gym, and an "owners lounge" with TV, pool table, foosball, and Xbox. We were lucky enough to get Building #3, room 3203-B. A crib was already nicely put into our room. Maid service is once weekly, and if you need more service, it would be a $12 charge. The rooms have a refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, and best of all, washer and dryer.

Building three opens up to a beautiful view of the ocean, with view of the beach below. Building #1 overlooks a part of the smaller pool. Building three is also closest to the beach, accessible to the right of the building down a spiral stairwell. Playa Bella is one of the few swimmable beaches with a somewhat sandy bottom, and good for snorkeling.

We arrived on a Friday, and every evening there is restaurant theme night. Friday nights is Mexican Fiesta night. It includes entertainment, a buffet and all you can drink drinks (including alcohol). The buffet was quite good, and had mole, tamales, fajitas, fish, enchiladas and desert. The drinks were truly all you can drink and we had plenty of margaritas. Entertainment included dancers and crowd participation.

The overall premises were quite small, but intimate. The pool never felt busy, and there is a swim up bar in addition to a beautiful view of the Arches from the infinity pool.

The entire staff was friendly and happy, and made our stay wonderful. January through April is whale watching season, and even through our room, you can see whales here and there in the distance.

This was a great trip and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Building #3 has the best views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rkmoy
Minneapolis
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Sirena del Mar is a very good choice if you are looking for a beautiful and new property that is quiet (see my construction comment, below) and relaxing with a range of activities each day. This is probably not the right property if you like to either “party” or keep extremely active throughout the day.

Positives
New, well-kept/very clean, spacious rooms with nice amenities (two-person whirlpool tub, 3-head walk-in shower, very good A/C, a very good patio, new appliances, nice TVs with good cable service), a very good (by hotel standards) exercise facility (upright/recumbent bike, 4 treadmills, 3 elliptical machines with dumbbells, kettle bells and several weight machines). The pool area is very beautiful with two infinity pools overlooking the ocean with a view of the arch. There were plenty of lounge chairs available and the pool bar was convenient. The property is somewhat small (about 80 rooms) and easy to navigate. There is also easy access to a sand beach, though it is more suitable for snorkeling (which is okay – not great) than swimming (due to the rocks and coral). We didn’t eat often at the restaurant, but found the food to be very good and reasonably priced (for a resort location).

Negatives
I like a more active vacation, so for me, the property didn’t offer as many on-site activities as I would have liked (I’m more use to a Club Med-style vacation where there are activities throughout the day with entertainment at night). Having said that, Manny, the activities director (with a staff of one – himself) does a good job of offering a several activities each day (snorkeling, bingo, tequila tasting, a Mexican Fiesta, a pool party, basic Spanish lessons, pool “aerobics”) – but again, not as much as I would like (no beach volleyball, kayaking, sailing, exercise classes).

The other negative is that a third building is being constructed and the noise of that construction has obviously bothered some who have posted on this hotel – though I found that I wasn’t often aware of the noise (music is always playing at the pool), so it wasn’t a big issue for me.

Suggestions
After you pass through customs at the airport, you will be “assaulted” by individuals interested in helping you locate a taxi (i.e. sell you a time share). Bypass those folks, walk outside and you will find all the taxi’s you need. The cost to get to the Sirena del Mar should be $50 – a 40 minute drive through Cabo San Jose and most of the way to Cabo San Lucas.

You will be offered a tour of the facility upon arriving at the Sirena del Mar (a time share presentation) in exchange for a $150 voucher. While I declined, my sense is that this is not the high-pressure sales pitch that you might get elsewhere. If interested, you might want to take the tour towards the middle of your stay so you have a better sense for this property, but have time to use it.

Others have posted about this, but my wife and I enjoyed going to Cabo San Lucas on the bus. We can certainly afford a $17 taxi, but we liked the experience of walking 4-5 blocks to the main road (you catch the bus in front of the Home Depot, which is easy to spot) and riding with locals and some other tourists. The cost is $1 per person ($3 from Cabo San Lucas to Cabo San Jose). I found the people on the bus to be helpful and friendly. Your first bus trip might seem a bit intimidating but, it becomes very easy to do.

Others have posted about going to Costco, Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart. My wife and I chose, instead, to go to a small grocery store that is an easy walking distance from the Sirena del Mar (up the hill to the highway and to the right about 3-4 blocks – cross the highway, which we found quite safe to do – to get to the grocery store, which also has a good wine and beer selection.

The Sirena del Mar has two gas grills you can use at any time. For a change of pace, we grilled out one night and enjoyed the experience.

Room Tip: What I've heard refered to as the "older building" is further away from the new constr...
3 Thank yoga_cyclist
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I picked up a great deal for this place at just under $2000USD for 7 nights. Our room was located just up from the beach. We had an amazing view to wake up to daily, and could sit out and enjoy a coffee watching the tide go out, and whales out in the distance. At night we could sit and enjoy a couple glasses of wine and listen to the waves.

The staff was excellent and very welcoming. Whether I wanted something from the resort restaurant or have someone order me some domino's they were happy to oblige!

There aren't really any downsides to staying here if you can get a great deal. Just be aware that it is a little bit out of town, and the cab rides can add up if you're not careful. To save some money we would just walk up the hill to the highway and catch the bus which costs $1. If we stayed in town after dark, we would just pay for a cab back.

The food at the resort is over priced compared to what you can get in town. That being said, it's good food, and the convenience is what you're paying for I guess. There's also a good little restaurant at the top of the hill that's walking distance which is also worth a visit.

The room has everything you need to make a meal, which was a great way to save some money as well. The only suggestion I would have for the hotel is maybe include a small spice rack in each room. There was salt and pepper, but some other basic spices would have been nice, instead of having to buy them all and leave most of it behind or throw them out.

The private beach at this resort is a big plus. If there were more than 25 people at the beach at any given time I would be surprised. It was nice, quiet, and the snorkeling is great. Inside the cove there's a ton of fish. Although I never ventured out far enough, according to Manny (The entertainment director) there are manta ray's and sea turtles just on the outside of the cove as well. People pay good money for a couple hours of snorkeling in Cabo, and we were doing it for free every day.

If you can get a deal, this is the place to go. It's definitely an older (middle age and up) crowd, but if you're looking for a party there's plenty of that in town.

This is the first non-all inclusive I've been to in Mexico, and it was a very positive experience. There wasn't pressure to buy food and drinks here, but if you wanted them there was always someone around to ask.

For now they're building and expanding the resort. There is some noise as a result. It was a little annoying at times, but for the most part you'll end up tuning it out.

All in all, I got a great deal, and my vacation couldn't have gone any better.

2 Thank Cody J
Red Oak, Texas, United States
Reviewed 11 February 2014

A great place to stay. Staff was very friendly. Located right on the shore with private beach access. You can see Land's End and El Arco in the view for your room or from the pool. The infinity edge pools and hot tubs are great. Food is also great and Friday's Fiesta was a great time. Couples massage in the cabana was awesome. Love having a kitchen so you can make some of your own meals.

Room Tip: We stayed in 3105B which is first level in building 3. It was the smaller one bedroom. Easy access...