The Bungalows Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$395
US$304
  • Pool
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$564
US$536
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Playa Grande Resort(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$251
US$201
  • Pool
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$141
Bookit.com
  • Pool
The Resort at Pedregal(Cabo San Lucas)
US$917
US$896
Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$762
US$541
  • Pool
ME Cabo by Melia(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$326
US$263
Melia.com
  • Pool
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$568
US$453
Hotels.com
US$440
US$429
  • Pool
Solmar Resort(Cabo San Lucas)(Great Value!)
US$156
  • Pool
All reviewshoneymoon suitecozy suiteevery morningfresh fruitgarden bungalowwarm hugsdogs barkingprivate patiobreakfast was amazinghome away from homewithin easy walking distancesmall kitchenburritowalked everywherebig resortwalk into townliving room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Bungalows is a small, secluded, hotel run by brother and sister Eric and Ali. It's situated about 15-20 minutes walking distance from the downtown area, though the closest bars and restaurants are about 10-15 minutes easy walk. The Bungalows is almost impossible to see from the street - there is no sign, and the entrance is a small doorway surrounded by shrubs and bushes. This doorway opens into a secluded courtyard with the charming old-style accommodation blocks arranged around a small but atrractive swimming pool with loungers and umbrellas around it.
Due to a six-hour flight delay, I arrived at the hotel around 10pm, but Ali had stayed on personally to welcome me and get me settled in. She gave me a quick tour around and showed me my room - a "hammock suite", ground floor room with a small enclosed patio with its own hammock and lounger chairs. Inside was a small suite with sleeping area (very comfortable bed!), kitchenette with sink, fridge, caffetiere, microwave and small dining table, and a lounge area with sofa and chairs. There was a flat screen TV and DVD player in the sleeping area (a large selection of pirated DVDs on free loan from reception). There was also a safe, and surprisingly fast (and free) WiFi.
Breakfasts were served in the reception building in a small restaurant area. Like everything else at The Bungalows, breakfast is very informal. The cook (not sure if she was part of the family or not) makes her daily special (French toast or omelette - both excellent - on my days) and fruit, yoghurt, juices and coffee are freely available. Whoever is available will serve you, or you can help yourself.On my first morning I was due to go diving, but not sure exactly where the dive centre was, so Eirc took me in his car.
The atmosphere at The Bungalows is laid back, relaxed and easy. If you need anything, you go into reception, stepping over Valentina the Mexican mastiff, and ask Eric or Ali and it's done.
The only downside (which may not be a downside at all for many people) is that it's a quiet place. There's no spa, no gym and no bar, although they do allow you to bring your own booze into the hotel and will keep your beers in the kitchen fridge for you. There a convenience store 2 minutes walk away,a nd as i said earlier the town's bars and restaurants are an easy walk away.
Overall a very pleasant, relaxing and friendly place that I would be happy to go back to.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank bj666
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We have been going to Cabo every year for over 10 years. The Bungalows is the best deal without question. It's absolutely beautiful and peaceful. It is hidden away from street view by beautiful plants and is only a couple of blocks off the main drag. The accommodations are very comfortable and relaxing and the pool is perfect after a hot day in the sun. The best part is the family that operates it. They are the nicest most accommodating people you will ever find. I absolutely recommend this place without reservation. Lance

Room Tip: Get one of the villas!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lance G
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Stayed here for three nights with my wife and very happy with our decision to do so. Eric and his mother were very friendly and helpful from the start and the rest of the staff were awesome as well! The breakfast every morning is a great way to start the day and was always very impressed with what was served. The one drawback is that there was never any type of meat offered. We had booked a cozy suite as the bungalows were not available. We actually stopped in the day before we were to check in just to find the place and check out our room. I was disappointed with the room and I think the manager could tell - cozy is an understatement! However, upon checking in the following day we were told there was a cancellation and that they were upgrading our room at no charge. We ended up in a ground level two bedroom bungalow that was much roomier than what was shown us the previous day. Thank you Estelle and Eric - I would not have been happy staying in the cozy suite! The room was extremely clean (and kept that way) and the staff more than willing to help whenever asked.The pool was a bit neglected - the whole time there it was making gurgling noises and had a very low water level but that didn't seem to bother management or the few people that we saw using it.

I really liked our stay at The Bungalows and will certainly stay there again when I am in the area and want access to downtown. A few things travelers should be aware of:

While this place is indeed somewhat out of the way there is still a VERY large amount of traffic that flows past the place. There is a round-a-bout right outside the hotel that is used as a turning around point for those cruising the main drag of Cabo at night. The traffic noise did not reach our bungalow as it was away from the street but I don't know about some of the other rooms that are closer to the road. Barking dogs, however, did pose a problem for me as I am a light sleeper and they did bark every night.

I do not agree with some of the other reviews stating an easy 10 minute walk to downtown. You may be able to reach the very edge of 'downtown' in 10 minutes but downtown is a fairly large place and you will certainly not reach the marina in that amount of time. The walk back will be anything but 'easy' as it is pretty much all uphill with horrible walking conditions and lots of traffic! (This is from the perspective of a 55+ year old) If you plan on spending a lot of time downtown exploring you will certainly want a rental vehicle if staying at The Bungalows.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank makwa55
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

Ten days here was total bliss. From the moment we arrived Erik and the staff made us right at home with big hugs. The atmosphere is tropical and serene, with the bungalows centred around a wonderful secluded pool.

We got a great deal on a cozy suite which was modest but worked just fine for two. Air con, fans, DVD player (no cable but heaps of DVDs) and everything immaculately maintained by sweet housekeeping girls. Included in the price is as much juice, coffee and water as you want (available all day) and a proper home cooked breakfast. That means fresh fruit then a generous dish like frittata, breakfast burritos, waffles or pancakes. Yum! Erik is also happy to help recommend great local restaurants (try Capitan Fish for lunch, just a stone's throw away, and Maro's Shrimp downtown!!).

The location was excellent, a ten minute walk from the restaurants, bars and shops around the marina. But if you need beer or snacks there's a convenience store right nearby. In total, I'm soda we stayed here. A reputation well deserved :) thanks Erik and team!

My only tip for Cabo - bring good mosquito repellant as they descend after rain!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Emma H
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Ideal 3 night stay in the Garden Bungalow. Excellent location just a 10 minute walk from downtown Cabo and the marina. Fantastic grounds, cute pool, and rustic comfort. Beto and Eric will do everything to spoil you during your stay. Scrumptious breakfast, DVD library, WiFi, and purified water are all included. If you are looking for a resort experience keep searching, this is old world charm and southern hospitality done right and for us it was perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple