“Plenty of Potential, but….”

Bahia Hotel & Beach House
Ranked #25 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Brisbane, Australia
“Plenty of Potential, but….”
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The Bahia has plenty of potential but the service lacks a lot to be desired which is a real shame. Good location, a short walk to the beach (but much better value rates then the pure beachfront hotels in the area) and also walking distance to the marina and tonnes of restaurants.

The restaurant and bar are really really good, great food, good vibe, efficient service. It’s pricey yes, but worth the cost and the fact it was busy every night proves they are doing something right. The pool is quite nice and the staff at the pool bar were also very good.

They have obviously only renovated some rooms, so it’s worth paying a little more for the deluxe rooms as they have done a very nice job with these. Friends stayed in a classic room and it wasn’t anywhere near as nice. There are definitely some rooms that have noise issues, my first room was 101 and it was adjacent to a staff room of some sort, so I was woken numerous times through the night with staff coming and going, then early in the morning with housekeeping trolleys etc.

The biggest problem with the Bahia is the service, or lack thereof, from the reception staff. On arrival we were bluntly told our rooms would not be ready till the 4pm check-in time, without even checking if they might actually be ready then. After the 1st night noise issues, I requested to change rooms. The 1st response was come back this afternoon when housekeeping were finished servicing rooms, when I asked if I would definitely be able to move in the afternoon, the response was then that I could move for only 2 nights then back to the original room for another 2 nights. Then the story changed to it would be OK to move. Back to reception at 3.30pm to check, this time to be told management were in a meeting and would call me about 4pm when they finished. Still no contact by 4.30pm, so back to reception to be told management were still in a meeting. They then called housekeeping to check, so I sat at the desk and waited whilst housekeeping were checking. By this time I was getting frustrated, not helped by the fact the receptionist then started texting on her mobile phone. Finally I asked to call management out of their meeting, the operations manager promptly appeared and changed my rooms. Unfortunately this left me with a really poor impression of the hotel, which is a shame as most other aspects of it are great.

I hope the owners take some action with the service issues as it truly spoils what could be a really great hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
lvosburgh, Owner at Bahia Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you for your review. As an owner it’s very disappointing to read this review. Even though you point out several positive qualities about the property we pride ourselves on service and a personalized guest experience. We have spent considerable amounts of time training and discussing the front desk operations and check in procedures.

I was the customer for many years prior to purchasing the hotel and always tell our staff the first fifteen minutes are the most important. The front desk staff knows at all times the room availability. There is no need to call anyone to check, however that does not excuse the blunt tone.

We had an issue with one employee due to a personal situation and that has been corrected. We are sorry this has left you with a poor impression of the Bahia Hotel & Beach Club. A hotel is a human resource company and sometimes things just don’t go as planned.

We hope to see you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Bahia is only one block from the largest, swimable, public beach in Cabo San Lucas. It has been newly renovated 4 years ago. It is stylish and comfortable all at the same time. The pool is beautiful with day beds all around. The Bar Esquire was packed each and every night of our stay. They serve excellent food, but we found the menu a bit pricy on breakfast and lunch items, considering the short walk to the habour or the beach restaurants. The staff were great. The room we were first given was to loud at night. They moved us no problem to a room with private pool access. They arranged transport to and from the airport and handled all the paper work. They greeted us every time we entered and exited the hotel and asked about our stay and excursions. Would recommend The Bahia Hotel to anyone. Within walking distance to everything and close to the beach.

Room Tip: Stay near the pool. Rooms on the second floor with lower numbers (202/3/4/5, etc) are noisy because...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lil_Miss_McCrie
Palmdale, California
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I just came back from Cabo I traveled Feb 2-Feb 5th 2012. I wouldn't change anything about this trip, the only thing i would change is that I wish i would stayed a lot longer. I loved my room, number 236, balcony view was a great. I would wake up early and just sit out there and read, so peaceful. The entire hotel staff was so helpful and so nice, waiters, hostess, bar tenders all so GREAT! This hotel is just steps away from Medano Beach,and for a beach bum like myself it was perfect! Also Karla a worker at the hotel helped us plan all of our activities, she was so helpful and made us spend our small amount of time in Cabo doing great things! she was very helpful, polite and so friendly! she was GREAT!
Cant wait to go back and take my dad for fathers day! Thank you BAHIA! hope to be back real soon!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I just came back from a quick last-minute weekend get-away to Cabo. We found a last minute deal online, and decided to give this place a shot. We flew in on Friday, and left on Sunday. The location is great considering the price. They do not have a view of The Sea of Cortez because of the other Hotel that was built in front of the Bahia, but that did not bother us, because we are still only 100' from the beach!
Everyone at the hotel was extremely nice and professional. We read other reviews about this hotel on Trip Adviser, and were a little hesitant about what to expect, but when we arrived, the hotel was extremely nice, and the rooms are GREAT! Yes, it is true that only the first two floors are renovated (At the moment), but we were speaking with Lee (The owner happen to pop in the weekend we were there) and he told us that they are scheduling to complete the other rooms renovation in September/October 2012 I believe.

Our room was room 202 and the quality was very nice. The bed was a little smaller than a standard queen size US bed, but it worked for the two of us. The room was Very clean, and the location was superb!

One of the other great things about this hotel is the restaurant. My wife and I travel ALOT, and this restaurant could have been in NYC with the quality of food and service. The ambiance is amazing and just perfect for an upscale Cabo night out.

This was our first trip to Cabo San Lucas, but after staying here, we are definitely going to return for a longer stay at the Bahia!

Room Tip: Any room facing the pool on the first or second floor will be great. All of the rooms facing the bac...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My boyfriend and I came here for his birthday last April and I've been meaning to write a review ever since because I love this place! Not only was the price accommodating, the room was charming. With its bamboo bathroom and closet doors and a full kitchen I was in love. Even though I didn't need the kitchen because the restaurants around the Bahia were so good I couldn't stay away, I thought it was a great addition and when I go this April I will definitely make use of it. The best part of my trip and the main reason why I will always come back is because the beach is a 10 steps away and it is party central depending on where you walk, because of various hotels around. You can walk down the beach for a more intimate setting but we stood right where the Bahia beach club was and they had something going on everyday. With fun drinking games and other competitive games the time flew! The host JC is a great entertainer and said he's been there for 10 years so make sure to see him if you go! I truly recommend this place to anyone and I will forever have Bahia and Cabos st Lucas in my heart forever for showing me such a beautiful time and for being the place where him and I fell in love! Sice then we've been to other places, puerto Rico, Bahamas and we're going to st Thomas next week but so far nothing has compared.. Let's see :-) OH and it's right by the airport! Just get your own cab if not your going to have to wait for the car to be completely full with people before it takes off and that can take a while even though it's cheaper.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The Bahia is a hidden treasure located about a block from the swimable Medano beach where you can rent your kayaks and leisurly kayak out to lovers beach or grab a glass bottom boat to the marina or wherever you want to go. P.S. barder, barder, BARDER for everything, even down to rented snorkel gear. Also, not a far walk to the marina where the other hub for bars, shopping and restaurants are.
You have options to go to the Mango deck or other various beach bars and grab a beer, but Bahia is far enough away that you can't hear the beach music blasting at night if you decide to relax for the evening. The restaurant Bar Esquina, located in the Bahia hotel is a hip yet laid back restaurant with a great open kitchen, tastey cocktails and beautiful outdoor patio. Little pricey, but worth it. Check out Sharkys next door for delicious yet reasonable fare, like $2 fish tacos. The room was clean and spacious and the pool was never crowded and has a swim up bar, score!

Room Tip: Rented room 130 through website "one click that's it". Google it! Sophia and Arturo ar...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RipCityRepin
Reviewed 1 February 2012

If you don't want the crowds or price of a big resort this is the place. One block from the beach centrally located nice staff check in and out was easy overall a really nice experience. Hey Lee you really need tables and chairs on the balconies of every room pretty crappy to sit on the floor out there but that is my only gripe.

• Stayed December 2011
lvosburgh, Owner at Bahia Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for the review. I am sorry about the furniture or lack of. I will check to make sure they all have a table and chairs. Thank you pointing it out