“If you are looking for the REAL Cabo, this is it...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Cascadas de Baja

Club Cascadas de Baja
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
CA
“If you are looking for the REAL Cabo, this is it...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

Hi All-
I have been reading the reviews on club cascadas for a while and they have been extremely informative. My girlfriend and I just spent 5 days there. Here is my review...
First, a couple of lines on my Cabo history- I have been going to Cabo for the past 14 years. I was a veteran of the Hacienda Beach Resort- which was the first hotel built in Cabo. This hotel had about 35 rooms built right into the sand on the beach; there were lush tropical gardens and plenty of palm trees- it was incredible and was my home away from home. Sadly, the Hacienda was knocked down in 2005 and a bunch of high end homes were built on the property. Since then I have stayed in many of the hotels on Medando beach. I can honestly say, I never came back home feeling refreshed as I did when I stayed at the Hacienda. I didn't realize the peace and tranquility that place provided while I was staying there. Don't get me wrong, I love the party life in Cabo, but the beauty of Cabo was being able to escape the party life and just enjoy Cabo. Also, in the past few years the vendors have really increased to insane levels. It seems like there are triple the vendors, and less people due to the economy and the bad drug related events in Mexico...The vendors really started to impact the Cabo experience in a negative way for me.
Club Cascadas...
I was looking for a hotel where I could sit on the beach and be far enough away from the vendors to be able to ignore them. Club Cascadas absolutely provided this feature.
Shortly after arriving and settling into a Bahia villa, I found myself comparing this place to the Hacienda- which was a good sign for me. The rooms are built like a rock- 1-2 foot cement walls and not a peep from our neighbors walking above us in their room. This is old Cabo at its finest- The room was awesome- really clean, everything in working order. My curtain fell off the bathroom window, and the drain in the bathroom sink wouldn't open to let water go down. After telling the front desk, within 5 minutes there was someone there working on it- and it was fixed. The person who complained about the room cleanliness in one of the earlier reviews really makes no sense to me after I was actually there.
There are beautiful gardens and palm trees everywhere- this setting really adds to the tranquility of walking back and forth to your room. My villa was adjacent the tennis court- about a 3 minute walk from the beach- as I said, the walk was beautiful. The staff is out all day working on the gardens, I saw my maid on more than one occasion actually dusting the giant leaves on plants around our outside sitting area. When the sea breeze blows just right, you get a sweet whiff of the flowers on the trees.
No TVs or phones in the room didn't make a bit of difference- they show a kids movie in the day time in the clubhouse and an adult movie at night.
This is the kind of place that seeps into your soul after a couple of days- the peace rubs off on everyone, and people really become friendly. The outside sitting area was closer to the walkways than I expected, I thought this would alter the feeling of privacy- but it didn't at all. Tenants are all either respectful of your privacy or friendly and say good morning or hello. The staff folks are all super friendly.
I was up at 6-6:30am everyday to get the Palapa I wanted on the beach- they were all taken by about 8:30am. By 3-4pm people start to leave the beach and you can get one then if you miss it for the morning.
The pool next to the beach gets fairly full with families, but the upper pool was always tranquil with just a few people or no one at all.
The last day, I took a tour of the rooms in the main hotel- Since I read the review that said they were noisy and not as nice as the villa's. My experience was, this isn't true at all. All these rooms have been redone- and they are all built *exactly* like the villa's on the inside, including the super thick walls. The wall facing the street is now solid with windows that close to block the sound. The road in front of the hotel is not that busy. The guy giving me the tour did say the main highway was having new electric and water lines put in a few years ago, and that cause traffic and trucks to be routed on this road by the hotel- which could have been the noise the other reviewer was speaking of.
All in all, I would have to say this place is Cabo at its finest- and really provided my girlfriend and I with the feeling of comfort and being refreshed that we were looking for. The peace and tranquility and 'vibe' is equal to the Hacienda.
One word of caution: Be careful about going on a banana boat ride. My girlfriend was really looked forward to doing this. We expected it would be a fun ride up and down the coast as we see all the time- it seems part of the so called 'fun' is for the boat driver to intentionally knock people off at fairly high speeds (I am an avid weight lifter and mountain biker- so this isn't coming from a sissy). This was not fun at all. My girlfriend and I knocked heads when he flipped us. She wound up with a black-eye and I am on blood thinners and should never hit my head hard. You could easily loose a few teeth or get seriously injured because of these jackasses driving these boats. Rent a jet ski or anything else where you are in control of your speed and safety, not some blockhead.

Albert

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank caboman888

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Concord, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

My husband and I traded our timeshare in Nevada for a week at the Club Cascadas de Baja in Cabo. What a fantastic swap! I had read before we left that most timeshare swaps would have to stay in the "hotel portion" of the resort which worried me. I wasn't keen on staying at this place if I was going to be in a "basic hotel room" for a week but that was not an issue. The hotel portion is directly above the open lobby area and to the back of the property. The front part (beach side) is full of the lovely 3 story villas. Well, our worries were quickly quelled when we checked in and were given a room in the hotel section. The room was big, light, clean and provided everything we needed for a lovely stay. Our room looked over the tennis courts, which wasn't the best view but wasn't an eyesore.
The unit provided a refrigerator, stove, sink and everything we needed to prepare meals. We took the bus every few days to the Walmart (only about 2 miles away). The collectivo bus stopped RIGHT in front of the hotel. You have to wave it down and they stop. The fare was 16 pesos (about 1.40 for two people). It took 5 minutes to get to the Walmart where you could stock up on roasted chickens, homemade, hot corn tortillas, meats, fruits, veggies, drinks, etc. On the way back, the bus stops a couple of long blocks away from Cascadas on the main road. It's about a 10 minute walk back to the unit. Take a couple of backpacks and you will have all you need for a few days of meals. When you want the bus to stop, simply get up and stand next to the driver and let them know you want off. We were told by many people that it wouldn't be possible to take the bus back with food in tow but if you bring backpacks/bags, it's a quicky walk back to the resort. It was no problem at all. You can opt for the super expensive taxis that will take you back for $10. We never set foot in a taxi the whole time we were there. They are like a mob, constantly bugging you to get in their cab.
The Resort is fabulous. It's at the far end of Medano Beach (the most happening beach in Cabo). We would walk the beach every day and night and could be in town in about 15 minutes. The resort is absolutely immaculate with an impeccable cleaning staff. Units are cleaned everyday and refreshed with towels, etc. The resort also has a free internet cafe and two clubhouses. The main clubhouse at the front of the property (beachside) offers a full service (but pricey) beach restaurant and a clubhouse with games, tvs, movies, magazine and book swap and activities for kids and teens. They also offer activities like BINGO, tequila tasting, karioke night, etc. The smaller cafe at the lobby offers the internet terminals, a bistro, travel and adventure desk, small deli and shopping.
There is a private beach with beautiful palapas facing out toward Los Arcos and the Sea of Cortez. You can either swim in one of the two great pool bars or opt for the sea, which we often did as the water was perfect. People get to the palapas early and stake their spots for the entire day but we were able to get a spot under a palapa more than once during our stay in the afternoon.
It took awhile to unwind but after about day 3, we were able to lay on those chairs, read and just relax......The staff was attentive to every need and very helpful. I've read that the resort is "rustic and old". We found it completely charming and we wouldn't have traded it for any of the newer highrise places on the beach. Cascadas is one of the original dwellings on Medano Beach. Nothing, in my opinion, can compare to it's ambience and lush grounds. We did spend some time down at the ME Cabo (3 beach hotels down). We enjoyed massages and dinner on the beach there.
Oh, by the way, before we went, we took some Tripadvisor Advice and bought the "Cabo Passport". It costs $50 and gives you 50% off of activities and restaurants. We even got 1/2 price massages at the ME CABO. It was totally worth it. We figured that we saved about $200 -$300 using that card. A little word of advice though.....We went to book the
3 1/2 hour snorkel/booze cruise with Cabo Escape. We mistakenly tried to pay for it at a timeshare booth on the Marina (these are VERY DECEPTIVE). I presented the Passport and she said they didn't "take the card" as it was "high season" . She lied to try and get me to go to a timeshare presentation. I found the actually Cabo Escape booth INSIDE the No Worries bar and they did indeed honor the passport for a 2-1 snorkel trip. MAKE SURE YOU ARE DEALING WITH THE ACTUAL COMPANY and not a fake representative trying to con you into a timeshare. They make their booths look very convincing. Do not give them any money.
All in all, we had a great trip and loved Cascadas. We felt like we had really lucked out with this trade. I wouldn't hestitate to go back to this resort. It was well worth it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Kristinche
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

i, my wife and 25-year-old daughter recently spent a week at Club Cascadas and it was exceptional for many reasons. First, it is a place out of time, like a setting for an Esther Williams movie. Many of you many be too young to know those romantic Hollywood movies but they were set in lush, beautiful sets (in Hollywood sound stages). Club Cascadas is beautiful. As opposed to the big, grand, but rather sterile hotels all along the San Jose-Cabo corridor, Cascadas is very personal, even small, perfect for families. Instead of a highrise it is a lowrise, with hatch-roofed villas spread out over grounds in a palm grove, with a small hotel at the street end and El Madano beach at the other end.

The place, designed and built by an American, is basically a time-share resort, and we had a time-share villa, so I can't write about the hotel, which is on the busy street end and probably noisy. We were near the beach end, but had our own noise problem at night from the boxy Pueblo Bonito Rose hotel next door. That would be my only complaint, and it is a small one. Everything else was perfect. The staff were 100% friendly and thorough and a big part of our enjoyment during our stay. Our aim, on this vacation, was to veg out, and that we certainly did. We had most of our meals at the Club restaurant, right on the beach, open air, and the food was quite good. We did venture out, to Senor Greenberg's and to Edith's, but really, if you are as loose as a lox and don't want to get out of your shorts and sandals, the Club restaurant is good and the way to go.

We met people who had been coming to Club Cascadas every year for 20 plus years. It has earned that kind of loyalty. But it is not for everyone, and doesn't try to be. For instance: no TV and no telephones in the rooms, and wi-fi only up by the reception/coffee shop area. But hey, aren't you trying to get away from all that? Club Cascadas is not modern, and I thank my lucky stars for that. It is more like a village, a village with two large swimming pools set among the palm trees. We loved it. I loved it, even though I'm not a beach/swimming pool, lie in the sun all day kind of person.

It is a ten or fifteen minute walk to the center of town, and not a beautiful walk. And the town isn't all that attractive, unless you are in your twenties and sleep all day so that you can dance and drink all night at Wabo Cabo or Squid Roe. But I wouldn't know about that.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Poppi3
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here for a wedding, the parents of the individuals getting married owned at this property.

The villa was very clean and nice, and the beach was fantastic. The best part was the beachside service of food and drinks. All you have to do is raise your little flag and the servers come over and take your order. Food is excellent anywhere in the resort.

We did nto go in the pool but the hot tub was nice.

The resort is a short (and safe) walk to town as well.

I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank mgilbert7
Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Have been coming for 20 plus years had our honeymoon im Perla 3 and our two girls also have been coiming since they were babies, beautiful in all ways, grounds , accomodations we love no tv or phones in the rooms, very safe and yes quiet, our girls are now almost 18 and 14. They would still choose Cascades as their first choice.The food is also great at the beach grill, room service too. Javier at the front desk is sweet and with all the staff protective over all guests and saftey. Maids, pool boys, ground keepers all work very hardto keep things perfect. Love to hear the sea lions thru the night barking and the birds all day long. Cant imagine anywhere else that could be as amazing as Cascades. Hope you love it as we have and do.

Room Tip: The north side over the arroya has better views
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank tkcgateman
Enumclaw, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

I have been coming to Club Cascadas every summer since 1991. We stay in one of the Perlas which is 3 stories, 3 bedroom, 3 bath, with its own private pool & hot tub, full kitchen, A/C in the bedrooms & 3 patios (1 ground floor & 2 on the 2nd floor). The hotel is older, but they maintain it VERY well. there are people out working on the grounds all day long. they sweep the sidewalks (stone, not concrete), smooth the sand gardens & private beach, clean up boganvia blossoms from the ground & take care of the pools constantly (there are 2 pools for all guests, as well as the ocean - which at the end of July is a welcome relief form the 100+ degree weather.) I saw other reviewers comment on the "old tapestries" & "musty smell", but to be honest, I've never noticed a musty smell, either in the rooms or in the clubhouse, and I'm terribly allergic to mildew & mold. Maybe they just want something to complain about. as for the Tapestries, they close ever year in September to do maintenance (& it's hurricane season) & they take down all of these & clean them, even replace them. The resort itself is one of a kind. the architect (& original owner) designed it to make it feel like an oasis. the support beams resemble tree trunks that go up through the ceiling (thatched- made from the fallen palm fronds they collect each year), the tile floors are sand colored & the walls are white paint over thick stucco-look concrete walls (which insulate from the heat). I have never seen any hotel or resort where they put as much thought into each & every detail. It's truely amazing.
a couple things for those looking for "modern" or "party central". THIS IS NOT THE PLACE. Cascadas is a place to get away from technology, to unwind & to relax. Most everyone we know who goes to Cascadas goes to catch up on reading, sunbathe, or finally escape the modern world. There are no phones, tvs or anything like that in the rooms (there are landline phones at the front desk you can use, and cell phone reception if you need it) There is a TV in the clubhouse, along with pool tables, game tables, and a massive library where you can exchange books you've read with what is in stock.
I think the only flaw is that coffee in Mexico is terrible, so if you're a coffee snob, bring your own or go to the coffee shop in the shopping center (mall) on the marina. it has coffee from all over the world.
The staff - the staff here is wonderful, and every year we see the same faces, with very little turnover. They all greet the guests & make sure you have everything you need. If anything isn't up to snuff, tell them & they'll rectify it immediately.
The hotel restaurant is excellent, and can be delivered to your room, to your palapa (a thatched roof, side-less "tiki hut" on the beach) or either of the in-pool bars. There is also a "floating chef" you can book who will come to your room on the designated night/time & make you & all of your guests dinner - whatever you want.
Internet - there is wifi available in the lobby, although you can pick up the signal around the resort sometimes, and it is for a fee, although they have been talking about making it available throughout for free. Not sure if that will happen or not. There is also a coffee shop, a small store (with computers if you dont want to take yours), and a car rental/activities desk for those of you who want to explore the area.
I recommend the Jet Skis, snorkeling, horseback riding on the beach, or taking a day trip up to Todos Santos, and artist community. If you want to have food (or alcohol) in your room, there is a Costco & Walmart nearby where you can get these for much cheaper than the "tourist" supermarket. BE AWARE- this is a desert environment. Being so far down the beach from town, there is a breeze at Cascadas, but the closer you get to town the hotter it is. Bring a fan (or one of the ones that spritz) because it is VERY dry, and be sure to drink your weight in water, Gatorade, iced tea or juice. The water at the resort is filtered so you dont need to worry about Montezuma's while you're there, but drink bottled in & around town. There a few classic restaurants in town, such as the Giggling Marlin or The Office (just a walk down the beach) that everyone knows about, & one or two you've never heard of, such as Romeo & Juliet's, the best Italian we've ever had outside of Italy. All in all, this is my favorite vacation spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a Perla, Perlita, Escondito, or Margarita.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank MsMain_WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

Club Cascadas is a great place for couples or families to getaway to a wonderful tropical location. This was our second stay at Cascadas and we have not been disappointed either time. The atmosphere is very relaxed at Cascadas. This is not your normal tropical party resort. Quite the opposite actually. If you are looking for a place to party all night by the pool/beach, then look elsewhere. If you are looking for a much more relaxed enviornment, free of the crazy drunk people, then Cascadas is the place to go. We will surely return again in the future.

• Stayed April 2011