“Deserves better rating - here's my take”

Club Cascadas de Baja
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Maui, Hi
“Deserves better rating - here's my take”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Just returned from Club Cascades de Baja and after reading a couple of the most recent reviews I was apprehensive about the noise from jackhammers, air con, etc. I must say I was relieved when we checked into our 2 bedroom Villa. It was beautiful. Now I traded direct with Trading Places who also manages the timeshare that I own. I don't know if that puts me further up the ladder as far as what I'm going to get, but the unit number was fixed. I knew in advance what unit I was going to get. I really like this property all the way around. I like where it's located - close to the action without being right in the middle of it. I like the clientele that seems to stay there - some kids and mature adults but not too many kids either.

Plus, most timeshares will only get cleaned once midweek. This is being cleaned daily, which I really liked.

As far as noise goes. The first morning I was woken up by hammering. I spoke to someone in charge about the hour of day the work was starting. He asked me what time I would be happy with and I told him 9 a.m. seemed fair and he said "done". Just like that. No more problem with that issue. The air con is located right next to the bed. For me it wasn't the running noise but the noise the machine made when starting and stopping. A knocking noise that you just couldn't get used to. But after 2 nights, I turned up the fans, which are all over the place in these units - even in the bathroom, and I turned off the air con. It was fine. No air con was needed and this is September. I would recommend just turning it off. The beds are also definitely hard. What can you do there? It won't be the last time I get a hard bed I'm sure. But all the other things in the condo, plates, cups, linens, curtains, bedding, etc. all seems new to me so perhaps they do have some units that need remodeling but ours was fine. And I did like the paint and lighting too. All was great. See attached photos.

We rented a car through National using the pre-paid vouchers through the Cabo San Lucas Magazine folks. What a great deal! Once on the National site I typed in the code they gave me for working with the vouchers and the rate dropped from $52 a day to $21 per day. There is a mandatory insurance that will run you $10 per day, but it was still a better deal than paying for a shuttle back and forth to the airport and being able to get ourselves around town and to Todos Santos.

I would also recommend the EcoCat sunset dinner cruise. They are also on the voucher program. It's a beautiful boat and the crew does a great job, other than just offering us one sheshkabob with 4 shrimp on it for our dinner (but afterward they gave us more food. I was shocked with the first offering and told them so).

But Club Cascades is a winner. I would go back again in a heartbeat and will hope to do that many times.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MauiBoy2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Seattle
Reviewed 11 September 2010

This is a lovely old property with much to recommend it.(especially for those of us who like the one-off old places) .... but a completely tone-deaf upper management leaves so much to be desired, that it totally turned us off. We won't be back.

I thought maybe our bad trading experience was just us, maybe anecdotal, but heard from another couple in the workout room ... same experience. We were put in the worse possible rooms and told it was the fault of our "home" resort! (We traded two weeks; I could've forgiven 'em the first week ... but then they put us in a worse room for week two!)

Maid service, restaurant staff were all great. Pools are wonderful. Front desk ... the origin of blaming our home resort (where we own a penthouse) with the decision to put us in the smallest, noisiest room. We will had a good time ... but., no, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone trading time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dheddy3
florida
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We booked this through our timeshare, Interval International. We have been traveling through time share for years and have never had anything but wonderful stays. The pictures of this resort on their website are quite deceiving. The youtube video portrays this as a place of quiet retreat which is a total cop out. It's more like no one is willing to invest in a few modern amenities to make this place a comfortable and pampering place to stay.

The resort was built in the 70's and it is obvious that everything is still in its original state. The furniture is outdated and has been repainted over and over, again. We had a 2 bedroom unit overlooking a sliver of the beach. The rest of the view was a construction site. The living area had no air conditioning. Call me crazy, but I believe that air conditioning is a must at a Mexican "resort". It was warm when we arrived but by the time we made it back from dinner, it was sweltering. The bedrooms had ac units built into the wall that roared like a jet engine all night. The netting that surrounds the bed, so charming in photos, was nothing but a filmy, stained, polyester piece of fabric, coated in dust. And the comforter was vile. It was made out of burlap or something quite close to that texture. It was a dingy, comforter, rough and worn and stained with who knows what. I wouldn't be surprised if they've kept the same bedspreads since the 70's. The outside doors that were probably charming in the 70's were rickety, with huge gaps. The antiquated ac unit could not compete with the warm Mexico air, flowing through the room. My sister was so afraid of the rickety doors, she shoved her suitcase up against the back door of her bedroom.

The bathroom tile was old and crumbling in places. The grout most certainly has never been replaced and it was gray with age. The shower floor tiles were black where you would stand in the shower and the curtain that covered the shower in the window was covered in stains. There were these strange bamboo poles that covered the shower opening and the whole bathroom had the feel of an outdoor campground complete with the drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. Oh, and then there were the towels. They were thin, dingy and our washcloths set in a basket on our sink, actually had stains on them.

My sister came out of her room and informed me there wasn't even a blow dryer, an important thing to a girl. When we asked about blow dryers, they told us they weren't sure if they had any, that we'd have to come back in the morning and check.

Having no phone or tv in the room wasn't so bad since we didn't want to spend an extra second in that hot, run-down place, but the internet connection in the lobby was abysmal. It was sporadic and as slow as dial up and it kept crashing. There were about 10 of us in the lobby trying to get internet connection. It was frustrating and when we asked the front staff for help, they would only shrug their shoulders at us. It was the same way in their business alcove on their computers.

We tried to make the best of it on our first night there. We dumped our bags and went exploring. The pools are decent and the staff at the restaurant was very friendly. We ventured into the club house and the smell of mold hit us in the face. There were large buckets everywhere, collecting the drips from the roof. There were several tv's and games and what looked like plenty to do, but the mold smell was overpowering.

We then decided to walk down the beach. The view is splendid, absolutely amazing. But be warned, this part of the beach is overrun by vendors, trying to sell you everything from jewelry to drugs. Yes, my husband was approached several times asking if he wanted blow or weed as they held out a handful of samples. The restaurant hosts on that end of the beach will also follow you for a few yards, harping on you to eat at their restaurants. We did eat at a time share resort restaurant on the beach and the seafood was absolutely amazing, but our dinner was ruined by the resort "hostess" who crouched at our feet throughout dinner, badgering us to take a time share tour. It was of no use complaining, since we were eating at the time share restaurant.

By the time we made it back to our place, like I said, the heat was like an oven. I fitfully slept all night, on my postage sized foam pillow, until the sounds of the jackhammer next door at the construction site woke us up at 6:00. My husband and I looked at each other and both said at the same time, "Let's get out of here."

As soon as we told my sister who had not complained once, she was so grateful, she almost cried.

We packed our bags and hightailed it to the Hilton. I have never been happier. The beaches are gorgeous. There is no harassment as you walk down the beach. The service here is impeccable, the grounds are amazing, every one of your needs is met before you can even ask. And to me, that is what vacation is all about. I'm off to have a watermelon Mojito in the vanishing edge pool.

My advice-- for the same amount of money, run from Club Cascadas and go to the Hilton. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank floridajo
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I stayed at Cascadas with my husband, I have to say it is a lovley resort, very lush very quiet. The Palapas on the beach are the best and we were able to get one everyday. The food was fabulous, and the service was outstanding. There is no TV, but if you you need to get caught up on world events or sports there are TV's in the club areas. Also, everynignt is movie night. The club puts together activities i.e.....cooking classes -they are fun. I would definatlely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at Club Cascadas for 5 nights in early August. Nice place, with lots of nice foilage around the grounds. Internet access available, with computers posted near the registration desk and the coffee shop. For the one excursion we did take, Fernando, the concierge, arranged one that I wanted, that was not in their book. He then came down to our palapa on the beach, to inform me of availability. Very nice! Did not eat on site, but did drink plenty, and the service by the girls and guys very prompt. Just wave a little flag, and they came. The restaurant did appear very nice, and had a great location on the sand. Two pools, one with a sushi bar, and both with swim up bars. I believe they closed at six pm. We had a 2 bedroom, escondido. second floor. with a partial ocean view. Girls came every day to clean the room. and did a good job. In room safe, patio off the front and rear of the unit, dishes, refrigerator and freezer, blender. bar sink. Very nice. Right on medano beach. Got up most mornings at 5;30 to reserve a palapa beachfront, as my wife likes to haggle with the vendors. Little store on site with essentials. No phones, tv, or clocks in your room, but they do have a clubhouse with television. Downtown within walking distance, or a short cab ride if its too hot. We enjoyed it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Nebraska
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Such a cute resort. If you like being relaxed and taken out of your everyday life it is great! There are no phones, clocks, alarm clocks, TV's, etc. The service is great, the resort beach is small but nice! I loved the rooms the showers have bamboo poles hanging down to create a privacy door and the bed has a canopy net that flows over it. Very relaxing and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelgoddess17
Seaside Park, NJ
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We arrived in Cabo during the peak season (2/18-2/25). The hotel was completely booked so we were unable to upgrade to a villa. Our room was in the main part of the hotel & despite all of the negative reviews I have read about the hotel rooms, I was pleasantly surprised. We were on the 3rd floor and the room was very unique, spacious & clean. We had a separate bedroom with a very comfortable bed, a spacious bathroom & a very large kitchen/sitting area with a pull-out sofa. We had a nice size balcony overlooking the tennis court. The architecture was unbelievable! The room had all of the amenities we needed, including a blender for those delicious Don Julio mango margaritas we made each day. Our bedroom was very unique. There were "cubbie-holes" in the bedroom & in the kitchen instead of cabinets. There was a huge closet in the bathroom & it fit our clothes & suitcases perfectly. To be honest, we didn't spend much time in the room, only in the morning & at night. The staff at the hotel were wonderful. The entire resort was spotless! Even though the resort was sold-out, it was surprisingly quiet. The grounds of the hotel were amazing. It was almost like walking thru a rain forest. The landscaping was very lush & well maintained. The two pools had swim-up bars & jacuzzis. The happy hour was almost too good to be true, 10am till 5pm, 2 for 1, EVERYDAY! In order to get a palapa on the beach, you had to get up very early but there were plenty of beach chairs & umbrellas. The restaurant was a bit pricey but the food & view was fantastic. The location of the hotel was ideal. Each morning I walked on the beach to the marina. The marina was only a 10 minute walk, very close. This was our 4th trip to Cabo & I have never stayed in a hotel quite like this one. If you are looking for a big resort with tons of activities, loud music, noise, tourists & a party atmosphere, then this is definitely not the place for you. Go to Me Cabo or Villa Del Palmar instead. This resort was not an all inclusive which is a good thing because there are so many wonderful restaurants in Cabo. Our favorites are: Edith's, La Golandrina, Baja Cantina, La Frida, Big Tony's, Nik San, Art & Beer, etc, etc!!!!. If you need to buy souvenirs, I highly recommend going to San Jose. Its on the way to the airport & the prices are way cheaper than in Cabo. Also, if you like to snorkel or scuba then head to Chileno Bay. As soon as you walk into the water, the fish swim right up to you. If you have food like cheese or pretzels, the fish go insane! Also, if you are a surfer there are a ton of breaks in or around Cabo. You must check out Zippers, Monuments, Tule, Shipwrecks, Old Man's or head to Cerritos, its only a 45 minute drive north, very close to Todos Santos. I highly, highly recommend renting a stand-up paddle board & paddling out to the Arch & Lover's beach. It's a once in a lifetime experience! The weather was perfect! Low 80's during the day & mid 60's at night. No need for air conditioning. Overall, Cabo has it all! It is one of our favorite vacation destinations & that is why we keep going back!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple