“Good place to stay.”

Club Cascadas de Baja
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Just returned from Club Cascadas 1/27 - 2/3 .No ocean view rooms. Comfortable beds.(not the sofa bed) Great service. Daily maid service. Beautiful beach. Lots to do. Cabo San Lucas is a very good destination. No complaints.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 November 2010

My husband and I were invited to stay with my cousin and his wife who own a timeshare at Club Cascadas de Baja. Our room was a three bedroom with it's own jacuzzi. Upon arrival, and every day thereafter, I was in awe at the gorgeous architecture, the quiet, the meandering rock walkways lush with palms and bouganviella - pools from nearly every view - and the lovely Sea of Cortez outside our windows in the distance. The interiors are simple, and yet there are gorgeous details everywhere you look - soft colors of turquoise, linen, and whitewashed walls. Spacious, open and airy. Staff is amazing - extremely friendly and helpful. If you prefer a more athentic, less typical hi-rise type resort, and you appreciate beautiful architecture and surroundings, then this is the place for you. I'm completely mystified by a few of the negative reviews I read - there is NO smell of must, no noise whatsoever, and we never had to turn the a/c on - the fans do the job if it's warm. Beds were firm, but cushy on top. And yes, there are vendors on the beach - but you don't have to pick a palapa in front where they stop, and if you take the time to visit with a few of them, they're really friendly, funny and appreciate that you've taken a little time to chat - even if you don't buy what they're offering. If you like nightlife, it's a ten minute walk down to the other end of the beach or to Cabo San Lucas. Otherwise, this is the most serene and awesome place you'll find in Baja! And yes, Sunset cruise on the Eco Cat is fabulous! Ended up buying a timeshare here for ourselves at the end of this vacation! And no one approached us to sell - we had to seek them out.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mtfox
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We are time share owners and firsyt traded into Club Cascadas in 1992. We have been to many places in the world since then and always compared our destinations to Cabo. We exchanged back to Cascadas in September 2009 and again in September 2010.
The resort is unique. It is spread out amongst beautifully landscaped gardens. It is not a high rise. Located directly on Medano Beach, this resort offers all the relaxation you could ever want or you can be on the go as there is lots to do. The units are spacious, daily maid service, two lovely pools with all day "happy hour", a great restaurant and don't miss the fiesta ! Three of my co-workers were able to rent condos at this same resort during our stay and they were amazed at the beauty of this resort and Cabo San Lucas as well. Don't miss the sunset dinner trips and the daytime snorkel trips. All of the boating excursions take off from the Marina "downtown"....Mexico is very affortable and we found all to be very safe. Mexico has had a bad rap and tourism has suffered somewhat due to the violence surrounding drug issues. We experienced only a great vacation with a wonderful culture. Viva Mexico...Cabo we will be back !

3  Thank Mayo97
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We were in Escondido 19, woken up every morning (except Sundays) at 7:15 and 8:15 by the LOUD dumpster garbage truck. Extremely aggrevating. Not a quiet vacation.
The sofa mattresses were unusable in living room, must be original. Bottom floor villas, are very musty.
Very outdated furniture, accessories. I'm sure the wall hangings have been there since day one. Time for a make-over!
I had to cover my mouth not to smell the musty stench in the Clubhouse, as I watched a movie. It was really bad.
Staff was good, nice pools, nice landscaping, great beach, great location. Maids will wash the dishes in the crappy kitchens. You will be asked several times to buy a timeshare there. They and the vendors on the beach are relentless.
NO recycling whatsoever. NO televisions in the room, NO telephones.
Careful if you have high standards and are looking to trade. I would not even go back to stay a weekend there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank BeateRockyMountains
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Just returned from Club Cascades de Baja and after reading a couple of the most recent reviews I was apprehensive about the noise from jackhammers, air con, etc. I must say I was relieved when we checked into our 2 bedroom Villa. It was beautiful. Now I traded direct with Trading Places who also manages the timeshare that I own. I don't know if that puts me further up the ladder as far as what I'm going to get, but the unit number was fixed. I knew in advance what unit I was going to get. I really like this property all the way around. I like where it's located - close to the action without being right in the middle of it. I like the clientele that seems to stay there - some kids and mature adults but not too many kids either.

Plus, most timeshares will only get cleaned once midweek. This is being cleaned daily, which I really liked.

As far as noise goes. The first morning I was woken up by hammering. I spoke to someone in charge about the hour of day the work was starting. He asked me what time I would be happy with and I told him 9 a.m. seemed fair and he said "done". Just like that. No more problem with that issue. The air con is located right next to the bed. For me it wasn't the running noise but the noise the machine made when starting and stopping. A knocking noise that you just couldn't get used to. But after 2 nights, I turned up the fans, which are all over the place in these units - even in the bathroom, and I turned off the air con. It was fine. No air con was needed and this is September. I would recommend just turning it off. The beds are also definitely hard. What can you do there? It won't be the last time I get a hard bed I'm sure. But all the other things in the condo, plates, cups, linens, curtains, bedding, etc. all seems new to me so perhaps they do have some units that need remodeling but ours was fine. And I did like the paint and lighting too. All was great. See attached photos.

We rented a car through National using the pre-paid vouchers through the Cabo San Lucas Magazine folks. What a great deal! Once on the National site I typed in the code they gave me for working with the vouchers and the rate dropped from $52 a day to $21 per day. There is a mandatory insurance that will run you $10 per day, but it was still a better deal than paying for a shuttle back and forth to the airport and being able to get ourselves around town and to Todos Santos.

I would also recommend the EcoCat sunset dinner cruise. They are also on the voucher program. It's a beautiful boat and the crew does a great job, other than just offering us one sheshkabob with 4 shrimp on it for our dinner (but afterward they gave us more food. I was shocked with the first offering and told them so).

But Club Cascades is a winner. I would go back again in a heartbeat and will hope to do that many times.

4  Thank MauiBoy2
Reviewed 11 September 2010

This is a lovely old property with much to recommend it.(especially for those of us who like the one-off old places) .... but a completely tone-deaf upper management leaves so much to be desired, that it totally turned us off. We won't be back.

I thought maybe our bad trading experience was just us, maybe anecdotal, but heard from another couple in the workout room ... same experience. We were put in the worse possible rooms and told it was the fault of our "home" resort! (We traded two weeks; I could've forgiven 'em the first week ... but then they put us in a worse room for week two!)

Maid service, restaurant staff were all great. Pools are wonderful. Front desk ... the origin of blaming our home resort (where we own a penthouse) with the decision to put us in the smallest, noisiest room. We will had a good time ... but., no, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone trading time.

1  Thank dheddy3
Reviewed 5 September 2010

We booked this through our timeshare, Interval International. We have been traveling through time share for years and have never had anything but wonderful stays. The pictures of this resort on their website are quite deceiving. The youtube video portrays this as a place of quiet retreat which is a total cop out. It's more like no one is willing to invest in a few modern amenities to make this place a comfortable and pampering place to stay.

The resort was built in the 70's and it is obvious that everything is still in its original state. The furniture is outdated and has been repainted over and over, again. We had a 2 bedroom unit overlooking a sliver of the beach. The rest of the view was a construction site. The living area had no air conditioning. Call me crazy, but I believe that air conditioning is a must at a Mexican "resort". It was warm when we arrived but by the time we made it back from dinner, it was sweltering. The bedrooms had ac units built into the wall that roared like a jet engine all night. The netting that surrounds the bed, so charming in photos, was nothing but a filmy, stained, polyester piece of fabric, coated in dust. And the comforter was vile. It was made out of burlap or something quite close to that texture. It was a dingy, comforter, rough and worn and stained with who knows what. I wouldn't be surprised if they've kept the same bedspreads since the 70's. The outside doors that were probably charming in the 70's were rickety, with huge gaps. The antiquated ac unit could not compete with the warm Mexico air, flowing through the room. My sister was so afraid of the rickety doors, she shoved her suitcase up against the back door of her bedroom.

The bathroom tile was old and crumbling in places. The grout most certainly has never been replaced and it was gray with age. The shower floor tiles were black where you would stand in the shower and the curtain that covered the shower in the window was covered in stains. There were these strange bamboo poles that covered the shower opening and the whole bathroom had the feel of an outdoor campground complete with the drain in the middle of the bathroom floor. Oh, and then there were the towels. They were thin, dingy and our washcloths set in a basket on our sink, actually had stains on them.

My sister came out of her room and informed me there wasn't even a blow dryer, an important thing to a girl. When we asked about blow dryers, they told us they weren't sure if they had any, that we'd have to come back in the morning and check.

Having no phone or tv in the room wasn't so bad since we didn't want to spend an extra second in that hot, run-down place, but the internet connection in the lobby was abysmal. It was sporadic and as slow as dial up and it kept crashing. There were about 10 of us in the lobby trying to get internet connection. It was frustrating and when we asked the front staff for help, they would only shrug their shoulders at us. It was the same way in their business alcove on their computers.

We tried to make the best of it on our first night there. We dumped our bags and went exploring. The pools are decent and the staff at the restaurant was very friendly. We ventured into the club house and the smell of mold hit us in the face. There were large buckets everywhere, collecting the drips from the roof. There were several tv's and games and what looked like plenty to do, but the mold smell was overpowering.

We then decided to walk down the beach. The view is splendid, absolutely amazing. But be warned, this part of the beach is overrun by vendors, trying to sell you everything from jewelry to drugs. Yes, my husband was approached several times asking if he wanted blow or weed as they held out a handful of samples. The restaurant hosts on that end of the beach will also follow you for a few yards, harping on you to eat at their restaurants. We did eat at a time share resort restaurant on the beach and the seafood was absolutely amazing, but our dinner was ruined by the resort "hostess" who crouched at our feet throughout dinner, badgering us to take a time share tour. It was of no use complaining, since we were eating at the time share restaurant.

By the time we made it back to our place, like I said, the heat was like an oven. I fitfully slept all night, on my postage sized foam pillow, until the sounds of the jackhammer next door at the construction site woke us up at 6:00. My husband and I looked at each other and both said at the same time, "Let's get out of here."

As soon as we told my sister who had not complained once, she was so grateful, she almost cried.

We packed our bags and hightailed it to the Hilton. I have never been happier. The beaches are gorgeous. There is no harassment as you walk down the beach. The service here is impeccable, the grounds are amazing, every one of your needs is met before you can even ask. And to me, that is what vacation is all about. I'm off to have a watermelon Mojito in the vanishing edge pool.

My advice-- for the same amount of money, run from Club Cascadas and go to the Hilton. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family