“if you like village charm”

Club Cascadas de Baja
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Francisco, California
“if you like village charm”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We have stayed at CCDB about 6 times in the past 7 years of vacationing in Cabo. It is the most charming place. The staff is amazing! We own a time share in Napa Valley Ca. and exchange every year to different places throughout the world. When in Cabo we have many choices and wouldn't think of any other place except CCDB. For those who say its "out dated" -they just don't know what rustic, quaint charm is. This place reminds me of an old stucco Mexican or European village. It is VERY clean and well manicured and for being one of the oldest resorts in Cabo, it is very well kept and maintained. We have never had a problem with noise although if you get a villa on the carpark side you may have a problem with that. No phone or teli in the rooms- yes, this is true but really? you want to watch TV on your vacation? Find something else to do in paradise. Also, they do have large screen TV's, phones and internet svc in one of the two guest activity rooms. They also offer pool tables, ping pong table and other family friendly activities that I haven't seen at other resorts. For the star level this place rates in, it is the best in it's company.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank emmah2odog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Michigan
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Just returned from Club Cascadas 1/27 - 2/3 .No ocean view rooms. Comfortable beds.(not the sofa bed) Great service. Daily maid service. Beautiful beach. Lots to do. Cabo San Lucas is a very good destination. No complaints.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Palo Alto
Reviewed 13 November 2010

My husband and I were invited to stay with my cousin and his wife who own a timeshare at Club Cascadas de Baja. Our room was a three bedroom with it's own jacuzzi. Upon arrival, and every day thereafter, I was in awe at the gorgeous architecture, the quiet, the meandering rock walkways lush with palms and bouganviella - pools from nearly every view - and the lovely Sea of Cortez outside our windows in the distance. The interiors are simple, and yet there are gorgeous details everywhere you look - soft colors of turquoise, linen, and whitewashed walls. Spacious, open and airy. Staff is amazing - extremely friendly and helpful. If you prefer a more athentic, less typical hi-rise type resort, and you appreciate beautiful architecture and surroundings, then this is the place for you. I'm completely mystified by a few of the negative reviews I read - there is NO smell of must, no noise whatsoever, and we never had to turn the a/c on - the fans do the job if it's warm. Beds were firm, but cushy on top. And yes, there are vendors on the beach - but you don't have to pick a palapa in front where they stop, and if you take the time to visit with a few of them, they're really friendly, funny and appreciate that you've taken a little time to chat - even if you don't buy what they're offering. If you like nightlife, it's a ten minute walk down to the other end of the beach or to Cabo San Lucas. Otherwise, this is the most serene and awesome place you'll find in Baja! And yes, Sunset cruise on the Eco Cat is fabulous! Ended up buying a timeshare here for ourselves at the end of this vacation! And no one approached us to sell - we had to seek them out.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mtfox
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We are time share owners and firsyt traded into Club Cascadas in 1992. We have been to many places in the world since then and always compared our destinations to Cabo. We exchanged back to Cascadas in September 2009 and again in September 2010.
The resort is unique. It is spread out amongst beautifully landscaped gardens. It is not a high rise. Located directly on Medano Beach, this resort offers all the relaxation you could ever want or you can be on the go as there is lots to do. The units are spacious, daily maid service, two lovely pools with all day "happy hour", a great restaurant and don't miss the fiesta ! Three of my co-workers were able to rent condos at this same resort during our stay and they were amazed at the beauty of this resort and Cabo San Lucas as well. Don't miss the sunset dinner trips and the daytime snorkel trips. All of the boating excursions take off from the Marina "downtown"....Mexico is very affortable and we found all to be very safe. Mexico has had a bad rap and tourism has suffered somewhat due to the violence surrounding drug issues. We experienced only a great vacation with a wonderful culture. Viva Mexico...Cabo we will be back !

3 Thank Mayo97
Rocky Mountains
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We were in Escondido 19, woken up every morning (except Sundays) at 7:15 and 8:15 by the LOUD dumpster garbage truck. Extremely aggrevating. Not a quiet vacation.
The sofa mattresses were unusable in living room, must be original. Bottom floor villas, are very musty.
Very outdated furniture, accessories. I'm sure the wall hangings have been there since day one. Time for a make-over!
I had to cover my mouth not to smell the musty stench in the Clubhouse, as I watched a movie. It was really bad.
Staff was good, nice pools, nice landscaping, great beach, great location. Maids will wash the dishes in the crappy kitchens. You will be asked several times to buy a timeshare there. They and the vendors on the beach are relentless.
NO recycling whatsoever. NO televisions in the room, NO telephones.
Careful if you have high standards and are looking to trade. I would not even go back to stay a weekend there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank BeateRockyMountains
Maui, Hi
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Just returned from Club Cascades de Baja and after reading a couple of the most recent reviews I was apprehensive about the noise from jackhammers, air con, etc. I must say I was relieved when we checked into our 2 bedroom Villa. It was beautiful. Now I traded direct with Trading Places who also manages the timeshare that I own. I don't know if that puts me further up the ladder as far as what I'm going to get, but the unit number was fixed. I knew in advance what unit I was going to get. I really like this property all the way around. I like where it's located - close to the action without being right in the middle of it. I like the clientele that seems to stay there - some kids and mature adults but not too many kids either.

Plus, most timeshares will only get cleaned once midweek. This is being cleaned daily, which I really liked.

As far as noise goes. The first morning I was woken up by hammering. I spoke to someone in charge about the hour of day the work was starting. He asked me what time I would be happy with and I told him 9 a.m. seemed fair and he said "done". Just like that. No more problem with that issue. The air con is located right next to the bed. For me it wasn't the running noise but the noise the machine made when starting and stopping. A knocking noise that you just couldn't get used to. But after 2 nights, I turned up the fans, which are all over the place in these units - even in the bathroom, and I turned off the air con. It was fine. No air con was needed and this is September. I would recommend just turning it off. The beds are also definitely hard. What can you do there? It won't be the last time I get a hard bed I'm sure. But all the other things in the condo, plates, cups, linens, curtains, bedding, etc. all seems new to me so perhaps they do have some units that need remodeling but ours was fine. And I did like the paint and lighting too. All was great. See attached photos.

We rented a car through National using the pre-paid vouchers through the Cabo San Lucas Magazine folks. What a great deal! Once on the National site I typed in the code they gave me for working with the vouchers and the rate dropped from $52 a day to $21 per day. There is a mandatory insurance that will run you $10 per day, but it was still a better deal than paying for a shuttle back and forth to the airport and being able to get ourselves around town and to Todos Santos.

I would also recommend the EcoCat sunset dinner cruise. They are also on the voucher program. It's a beautiful boat and the crew does a great job, other than just offering us one sheshkabob with 4 shrimp on it for our dinner (but afterward they gave us more food. I was shocked with the first offering and told them so).

But Club Cascades is a winner. I would go back again in a heartbeat and will hope to do that many times.

4 Thank MauiBoy2
Seattle
Reviewed 11 September 2010

This is a lovely old property with much to recommend it.(especially for those of us who like the one-off old places) .... but a completely tone-deaf upper management leaves so much to be desired, that it totally turned us off. We won't be back.

I thought maybe our bad trading experience was just us, maybe anecdotal, but heard from another couple in the workout room ... same experience. We were put in the worse possible rooms and told it was the fault of our "home" resort! (We traded two weeks; I could've forgiven 'em the first week ... but then they put us in a worse room for week two!)

Maid service, restaurant staff were all great. Pools are wonderful. Front desk ... the origin of blaming our home resort (where we own a penthouse) with the decision to put us in the smallest, noisiest room. We will had a good time ... but., no, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone trading time.

1 Thank dheddy3