“Best vacation ever”

Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Houston, Texas, United States
“Best vacation ever”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We are owners and last year traded up for the resort at Lands End, we stayed there the week of 1-1-12 through 1-8-12. We stayed on the second floor in building #6. the construction on the resort was not a problem, you could hear it from time to time, but when you are in paradise it is hard to get distracted. the check-in and out process was quick and easy and much faster than the main resort. the grounds were perfect and the pools were a perfect temperature. We asked for extra pillows and blankets, they came quick with no delay. the rooms were cleaned well each day, as well as the kitchen which we usually left as a disaster. The concierge was helpful and we book three different outings through them, they went off without a hitch, they also gave us a credit for one in our perty who could not attend the scube diving and we cancelled after the 24 hr cancellation period. LaRocca resturaunt we good food but pricey with small portions but there are many places to go in Cabo if you want good food and have a big group. One of the best parts of our trip was the interaction and friendships that we made with the attendants when you arrive at Solmar. Sam, Manny, Alvaro, Felix and Joel were helpful at all times. they gave us rides to and from the lobby, dinner recommendations, and even help when we were too intoxicated to function. Their customer service was awesome and you really felt like they loved what they were doing. keep up the great work!

Room Tip: Get a room as close as youcan to "lands end" (the big rocks)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
mil081, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Your beautiful comment motivate us very much so thank you for that; “BEST VACATION EVER”
We love what we do and that’s pampering you, family and friends.
Come back soon!
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Grand Solmar has so many wonderful qualities. We arrived on New Year's Eve of 2011 for a 4 night stay. After about 1 hour there, we wanted to never leave. Service was great, food was EXCELLENT and drinks were stiff.

On our 2nd full day, we had scheduled our sales tour for the time share presentation as we were genuinely interested in buying into the resort. The presentation was wonderful, and our rep was so nice to us. After being presented with the facts and numbers, we wanted to think about it for an hour. They asked us to leave a driver's license. This is where things went bad... When my husband went back to say we decided we weren't going to do it, we were not given the license back right away. For 45 minutes, my husband felt threatened and was sent from one room to the next. They absolutely held him hostage and wouldn't give it to him. A very large man was following him around and wouldn't leave his side. He was genuinely frightened for his safety. After having to yell and make a HUGE scene, they gave it back. It was such a horrible experience that we almost called the airline to book our return to the states right away. He doesn't get threatened easily, so I knew it had to be serious. By the time we left, we were never hassled again, and decided to consider coming back sometime.

My best advice is that you should definitely go to this resort... it is one of the best places we have stayed in all of Mexico. Just DO NOT go on the sales presentation unless you are ready to commit to 50 years and about $75k. If you have the money, go to it!

Overall, a great place to spend a week if you want some peace and quiet. Even though kids are allowed, it is not overrun with them since there isn't a "kids club". There is an adult pool that's totally separate and very silent. Sergio is the waiter at the pool and he is awesome. Also you can watch the whales in the water too! Amazing.

Room Tip: If there are just 2 of you, the studio is just fine for you. There is a little kitchenette and sitti...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelley B
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
Dear Shelley, we are so glad you had a great relaxing time despite the inconvenience with the sales rep as mentioned by you.
We will always give our best to indulge you and family as this is our main purpose while you are staying with us. Looking forward greeting you soon again, I remain.
I do also here by, include the apology of our time share customer relations executive;
“Please accept our apologies for the experience that you mentioned with the Sales Staff, we don't know why they decided to hold your license in that moment; we will take internal measures in order to retrain all our staff; thanks for bringing it to our attention”.
Cordiall,
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My best friend and I decided to celebrate our 40th birthdays together with our wives in Cabo. We both did extensive research, mostly on TA- because of this we were aware of the ongoing construction and to avoid building 6.

I called and reserved 2 Grand suites through their reservation center. The agent told me that she couldn't guarantee that we would not be in building 6 but assured me that the resort would not be busy at this time (early December before the Christmas rush).

We were therefore disappointed to learn upon arrival that both couples were in building 6. We spent the next 20 minutes being told repeatedly that there were no other rooms available in the other buildings (even regular suites) because they were occupied by "owners". They also told us that there would be no construction until Monday (we arrived on Saturday) and that it would only be between 9-5. Since we were only staying until Tuesday we grudgingly took the rooms in building 6.

The rooms were as nice as advertised with very comfortable beds and well equipped new kitchens. The view of the waves was impressive but was overshadowed by the sound and view of massive construction about 200 feet from our room. Contrary to what we were told, the construction continued throughout Saturday and Sunday and from 7:30-6:30 on weekdays.
We had to keep the lovely balcony doors closed the majority of the time due to the construction.

We enjoyed the pools away from the construction which were near buildings 8 & 9. We began to notice that the resort was nearly empty and we didn't see any person on the balconies of building 9 or any lights on in this building's rooms at night.

The staff at the pools and the bellman were really nice and helpful. The drinks at the pool were extremely weak so not great value even during 2 for 1 Happy Hour. We ate once at La Roca and were not impressed with the food.

Upon checkout, we told the front desk that we were not happy with our stay and would like a discount on our stay. The "manager" (Antonio Vazquez Romero) was not at all apologetic and told us that the best that he could do was a $50 credit on our food and beverage charges.

Needless to say, this left us even more dissatisfied with our stay.

I'm unsure if they had just temporarily closed building 9 (it has the best views) because of low occupancy (in that case we were lied to) or if the front desk is just incredibly incompetent but either way we we did not receive the experience that we were expecting. I advise avoiding this resort.

The next time, I'll go back to Capella Pedegral!

• Stayed December 2011
10 Thank skinwarrior
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We are very sorry not have had the chance during your stay with us, to offer to you and to your friends another accommodation on property as these where scarce.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Great hotel! We stayed in the 3 bedroom, 4 bathroom presidential suite and it was absolutely beautiful. Impecably prepared and cared for... although missing some minor amenities in the kitchen, like a dishwasher. Its the last resort in the cabos (so you cant go further south). Every time we have stayed here, we always see whales and dolphins. The location is great, with just a few minutes ride to downtown.

The only drawback is that the restaurants are expensive, and they share a lot of items with the more family friendly neighbor resort "Playa Grande." Other than that, the place is great! Be sure to take advantage of the 2 for 1 happy hour!

Room Tip: Opt for a room higher up in the resort to get a better view of the ocean. Also, hang by the private...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Dear Billy, it’s always like a fresh breeze for us to read you, like other guests and owners had a blast during their stay.
Come back soon.
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We just got back from an 11 day stay. We have an 8 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. We rented a master and connected junior suite - which was huge overkill, but we enjoyed the extra space. We found the other reviews here to be very accurate so I will only hit the highlights.

Staff - great and very helpful. These folks will really go out of there way to help if they can.

Rooms - very large and comfortable. We had a room with the view of the sunset and you know, the construction can be ignored. Our 3 year old actually liked the crane and we had lots of discussions about it. Would I like it to "go away" - sure, but it didn't hurt our trip at all. I do agree the hotel should "own up" to the construction and offer some type of "construction discount" - I suspect they would get more travel in the off peak that way. The 4 Seasons did that in Hawaii successfully.

The only restaurant (there is only 1 active) was hit and miss, but the hits were pretty good. The burger or simple chicken taco's for lunch were great and we had them multiple times.

The pools are great - almost heated too much. They must have been getting feedback because the front pool (by the ocean) had a different temp everyday, but all were very warm. We really liked all the pools and the service by them.

The walk downtown was about 13 minutes and we opted to do that most of the time (even with the 3 year old). If you take a cab it is $6 usd. We would walk down to the Marina and cab it back home.

I left my golf clubs with the front desk folks (who were not used to this) and they quickly adapted and when I would go play they would pull them "from storage" and get me to a cab. This worked great and I was very happy with that. Keep in mind that the big courses (Cabo del Sol and Cabo Real) are $25-$30 cab rides away, so plan accordingly.

Room service - OK food. Don't expect much and you will be happy. You have a huge kitchen so it is worth stocking on a few things while you are there.

Laundry at the old Solmar "sucks" - machines barely worked. We hired a local Nanny who showed us a place close-by that did laundry at very cheap prices. It was just down the bottom of the hill and I would look for that if you have a family. Just put your clothes in a roller bag and take a cab on your way to lunch/dinner.

Spa - have to go to sister hotel Playa Grande and I have to admit their deep tissue massage was pretty weak. Also cost $150. We *did* learn they had their own services in open huts at the end of the resort (from other guests) and tried that and it was much better ($130) and right on the ocean with POUNDING waves. Would do that again - ran out of time. Love the waves....

On the construction - yes there is a lot of it. They have it contained as you can see from my photo. We were on the 8th floor of building 6 and had no complaints. It is inconvenient to take golf carts to get to the cab stop, but we just started walking. Construction did not impact our pool experience in any way - in fact the crane was interesting to watch. Initially I was worried about my room, but after 11 nights I have no complaints. They do start at 7am, but the waves are so loud I barely noticed. Hint - do leave your sliding door open 2 inches so you can hear the ocean.

2 weird things to mention

We had another family who were staying there also for a shorter trip. They had 2 grown up kids and the room had 1 murphy bed. They asked for a folding bed/cot and hotel didn't offer them. So we solved it by giving them one of the (2) murphy bed mattresses we weren't using. So simple, but they didn't seem to get it. To be fair no one mentioned the mattress that appeared out of no where and they had a great 6 night stay. We returned it before they left and we never heard anything about it.

Other thing regarding child-care. We were told (via email from concierge) that getting a babysitter would be "very difficult" during the holiday week and their prices were "not negotiable." So we went with another TripAdvisor recommendation and hired a local firm who acted as Nannies for our entire trip. #1 having the local folks to help us with our dining and activities was critical and they were very flexible. We also got a nice discount because of the amount of hours we used.
--- The weird thing was the hotel was fine with this from Dec 20-24th and all of a sudden on the 24th they would not admit my nanny to the property and I had to have some words with the manager. He said it was "not allowed" and he visited twice before I had to write a note saying the hotel wasn't responsible. I don't know if they realized that I was about to move to another resort if they tried to take my childcare. It worked out fine - but if you go local make sure you don't have this problem. We used the nannies for rest of trip without a problem.

Great place for kids - but you need to keep an eye on them. My 3 year old girl (fully dressed) tripped by a fountain feature right behind the front desk and ended up in the fountain (3 feet deep and below ground) - everyone was fine and the hotel folks were horrified and could not have been better at responding. We noticed they have velvet ropes there now ;-) Thanks folks for helping with that. My little one learned a good lesson as it was quite shocking.

Do keep an eye on little kids - lots of pools and water features to fall into so you must keep that in mind.

And - I only got a 1/2 hearted attempt at a timeshare pitch. I was pretty firm in my "no interest" and they never tried again. I did get another push at a golf course, but when your getting into a cab it is pretty easy to say goodbye. Reality - nothing is free, if you hear an offer of any kind - it is the sales pitch.

This place was expensive but very nice. I look forward to going back when their done building and the kids are a little older. I would definitely go back.

I'm leaving out a bunch of detail because the other positive reviews cover the great scenes, landscaping, room quality and others better than I could. It is all true - we just got back.

Room Tip: Get above the 4th floor and you will love it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Matt321
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear Matt, we had great fun to indulge you, your wife and little ones.
Please come back soon again and enjoy the Cabo breeze.
NJ
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Two couples spent a week in a beautiful 2-bedroom penthouse overlooking the Pacific Ocean. That can’t be denied. The room was out of one of those travel magazines --- you know, the rooms that you see but never visit!

Grand Solmar is in a great location on an out-of-the-way beach where you will not see any locals selling t-shirts, jewelry or anything else. You are about 200 yards from Land’s End – do take a hike over the mountain to Lover’s Beach. Look for Rudy hiding in one of the caves at the bottom, he’ll guide you over for a small gratuity.

Check –In: went smoothly, no issues but were asked to do a timeshare presentation and we should have refused. Refuse it, no matter what they promise you. If you go, be prepared for a very long, drawn-out event with sales pressure galore.

We were brought from the first lobby-area by golf cart to the front desk and given a welcome cocktail. Very nice.

Room: Take a look at the pictures and see for yourself. Beautiful. Three bathrooms, kitchen, etc. plus a balcony that was bigger than I could ever have expected. The room was very nice, but probably overkill.

Beach/Pool Areas: You can’t swim in the ocean here, so don’t even try. As soon as you get close someone employed by the property comes running up to you and asks you for your room number. Just as well since the infinity pools are very nice. Just be careful of the pool-side waiters --- well, maybe I shouldn’t just lump them all together. We had a less-than-satisfactory experience with David who, clearly, tried to rip us off by padding our pool-side bill – I guess he thought we were too inebriated to review it. We weren’t and it was revised.

There are three pools but we only used two – the family pool (in the middle) and the quiet pool (to the left, near the spa area). Be careful, you’re not allowed to bring your own food or drink to the pool areas.

Timeshare Presentation: Like I said earlier, don’t go. If you do go, however, be aware that you will spend much longer than the promised 90-minutes. Ours was over three hours. If you aren’t interested, say so up front, but don’t expect your host to take that into consideration.

Also, if you take the food and beverage room credit be aware that it does not include tax or gratuities. Ours didn’t say that and we were very surprised upon check-out. Also, be very careful of the people at the end of the sales presentation, as you are about to get your gifts. They aren’t part of the Grand Solmar timeshare sales staff; they sell memberships to Gold Crown Resorts. You don’t have to speak with them, so don’t.

Overall, we had a very nice time in Cabo and Grand Solmar is a beautiful resort, but beware of the rude and lying sales staff. I can't stress that enough.

PM me if you want more info.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Shellhead
Thank you for sharing your comments with us, they help us to improve our skills.
As you certainly know, in a worldwide state of the art resorts to bring down to the pool your own beverages and munchies it’s not permitted and does look cheap, so thank you for respecting other owners and guests.
Time Share presentation is always on a voluntarily basis but thanks for bringing this up to our attention.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We arrived at Grand Solmar from the U.S. on December 28th, 2011, and planned to stay for four nights. We had booked our trip in early November, and it was confirmed on December 24th. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that they did not have a room for us, and told us that our only option was to stay at their sister resort, Playa Grande. We took a shuttle with a staff member over to Playa Grande, where he tried to sell us on the mini golf course and lobby bar, as if that was what we were looking for on a vacation. He then took us to a ground floor room, that was dingy and had no view. So though we had planned to have a relaxing vacation at what was supposed to be the #4 rated hotel in Cabo (according to Trip Advisor), we were instead expected to settle for the #22 hotel and its mini golf course. Also, we were told that we would only be refunded $160 total for our whole stay, and that that was the price difference between the two hotels. A quick internet search showed that Grand Solmar was going for at least $200 more a night than Playa Verde. To salvage our vacation, we used a mobile phone to book at a completely different resort, where we had to pay last minute prices. At this point, the only thing we have received from a Grand Solmar is an email sent December 29th telling us to contact the travel site we booked through for a refund. That is it.
I would strongly advise against ever booking with Grand Solmar or any affiliated resort, unless you want to arrive on your vacation, to find that there is no room for you.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
20 Thank NYChoneymooners21
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Dear NYChoney,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with respect to an unforeseen booking situation in the entire group.
We are already working on solutions that will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future.
Please give us a chance to show to you our appreciation by contacting our onsite sales representative.