“I am an owner”

Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
California, United States
“I am an owner”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My wife and I attended the presentation January 2011 and although I had thought owning a timeshare was not in my best interest, we took the plunge. I am not dissappointed with the resort, it is a jewel and has some of the best views in Cabo. This morning we watched three humback whales from our balconey spy hop, and every evening amazing sunsets. The staff here are awesome and very friendly.

Here's the not so good. Guess there was a misunderstanding or two from our original presentation. I specifically asked about availability of higher rooms in January ( I originally pruchased a "floating week" plan). I was told no problem, they try to give the families with children the bottom floor. I booked about 9 months in advance and requested a high floor and two weeks prior again, requested a high floor. Guess what, we were given a bottom floor room. I complained and was told they could move me to a 10th floor room the next day, which they did. Of course, we got the squeeze to attend an "update session" which we did and not wanting to stress in the future about what room I am going to get, I upgraded my membership so I know what room I will have in the future.

My only other complaint is they have overly friendly eco showers. I can understand saving water in an arid climate, but the showers if even warm, trickle. You can barely get the soap off your body, they are pathetic. Not sure if it is a water pressure issue, flow restriction or what, but if you like a nice hot strong shower like I do, you won't find it at Land's End.

Yes, there is construction and it did disrupt our sleep and quality of the stay, however, the pace at which they are building it is only temporary and in light of what they have done to date, will make the resort that much better.

Room Tip: Go high if you can, but most have been purchased by owners.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 460Bill
MembersSOL, The Management at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2012
Dear “460Bill”:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Grand Solmar.

We are sorry if there was some miscommunication when you purchased the floating membership. We'll talk to our sales managers to make sure that our representatives are explaining as clearly as possible, what options are available to you within the membership; that situation won’t happened again with the conversion to the Fixed Package.

Our showers are eco state of the art; still we have open up the valve to gain more water pressure as suggested by you.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Korean first
GA
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My review is not based on just one week spent at Grand Solmar but three. In the past year my husband and I were fortunate enough to travel from GA to Cabo and enjoy this fantastic resort. Yes, we are owners and yes, there is construction going on at the resort; however, the sound of the waves covered most of the noise and the building will not be going on forever. The level of service at GS exceeds any other resort in which we have stayed, including Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons. Manny, Sammy Feliz and others are always there to greet you while Sergio and Freddy wait on you hand-and-foot by the pool. We own a master suite which is exquisitely furnished with plush bedding and bathroom toiletries and towels.
Most every day we ordered lunch by the pool and enjoyed fresh shrimp quesadillas as well as great burgers. We have only eaten breakfast at LaRocca and it has been outstanding. I can taste the fresh shrimp omelette now.
The timeshare people may be a little pushy, but once we told them we were not interested in attending the presentation, we were not bothered.
The location of the resort is another plus. You are close enough to walk to town or the marina, but in a few minutes, you can be back at GS enjoying the solitude of the resort. Not having vendors on the beach makes it a much more enjoyable beach; however, it is true that security warns you of the riptide danger in that area. We have spent so many hours just quietly enjoying a drink and staring at the beauty of the tremendous waves that bombard the coast.
Having shared my feelings about GS, you will understand why I am surprising my huband on his 60th birthday with a trip back to GS, Jan.21-28.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GAgallovesmaui
mil081, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
It was a pleasure and honor to give back to you some of our appreciation during your stay with us.
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This place is amazing! I have never smiled so much in my life. Between the service, cleanliness, and overall experience this place is really hard to beat. Once I came back to the states I kept telling my friends how much I screwed up. Since I took my girlfriend, I'm not really sure how to top this for a honeymoon. The rooms are huge all with ocean views. Private beaches, with the arch basically in your backyard. Large infinite pools with swim up bars and happy hours. Excellent pool side service with David (he is one of the most accommodating servers we have ever met, not only does he provide great service, he also makes you feel like you're part of the Solmar family). Definitely very excited to go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Scott M
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
We did love to indulge you and girlfriend.
Come back soon again.
Wheatfield, IN
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We are owners at Playa Grande and Grand Solmar. Both are beautiful resorts but over the years (13), the prices have gone way up on food and drink. If they would lower their prices slightly maybe more people would drink and eat there. There are 2 thing going for this resort, it is beautiful and close to town. No cab necessary. There is also bus service at the end of the resort for .50 cents to get into town if you do not want to walk. Water taxi to the beach is close also.

When we bought into Grand Solmar we were told we were going to be in the buildings with the private pool for only the building you were in could use. NOOOOOT!!! We ended up in the main building over the temporary office and could hear that 4-wheeler ALL NIGHT LONG. We were down for 2 weeks staying at Playa Grande first. Our experience started when we went on the timeshare presentation for Grand Solmar even tho we were owners, they want you to upgrade. They were TOTALLY RUDE when you did not want to upgrade and would not offer rides back to Playa Grande even tho they said they would. We had to find our way back down from the time share room and had to walk back to Playa Grande. I told this to the Playa Grande manager and they were appoligizing left and right but they were phony. A few days later we met up with some people and it happened to them also and they did the presentation a few days after us!!! These people who work for Playa Grande and Grand Solmar would sell you their mother to make a deal but say "NO" and they stab you in the back!!! It is a shame that they take advantage of vacationers who litterally pay their salary but they know they can get away with it cause it is Mexico!!!

Room Tip: There are none
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Cabojudy77
MembersSOL, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear “Cabojudy77”:

For us it’s very important to listen to your comments and adapt our services to your needs.

I’m sorry if there was some mis-communication regarding the usage and location of buildings. We'll talk to our sales managers to make sure that our representatives are explaining as clearly as possible, what options and benefits are available to you within the package and the Membership agreement.

Please accept our apologies for the rudeness of our sales staff; we want you to know that we are taking internal measures in order to improve their approach to all our guests and owners, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

We hope you will offer us a chance to gain back your confidence in our staff, our service and resort in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Boucherville, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We are owners and it was our first time in our unit this year, staying at Playa Grande before. We have spent 3 weeks from Dec. 18th to Jan. 8th 2012 and it was nothing but a great experience. The infinity pool are great, heated and about 200 feet of Pacific Ocean. The Master Bedroom is great and the huge balcony gave us the chance to watch the everyday breathtaking sunsets.

All personnel would do anything withing their power to help you and make sure you are completely satisfy. Concierges José and Ruben were always smilling and ready to help us. Bell boys Emanuelle, Joel, Samuel, just to name a few, were always there to help us. Barmen at la Rocca Bar David, Armando, Braulio, Nunger, Juan Manual and the beautifull Estrella, were so so funny and they gave us such a good service.

I do not want to forget Ericka, sales service, who was more than there for us.

We also want to mention our Sales Representative Jill Thompson who is always available to answer any question for us. She really did a good job by selling us a Master Bedroom at Grand Solmar.

I do not want to forget Eduardo.Gonzalez, Food and Beverage Manager who invited us to have a wonderfull diner at la Rocca, compliment of the house, because couple of times our lunch took a while before served. We had a 5 services meal with good wine according each service. It was just perfect. Jonathan our waiter was such a nice guy. He was even trying to speak french to please us.

As for the construction, it was not a problem for us, we barely heard it since the unit is so closed to Pacific Ocean, the huge waves made the noise almost non existing and we were in building 6 just beside the Construction Site.

Room Tip: All units are beach front.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
mil081, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Dear Ginette,
At Grand Solmar we all perform together as one team and are polishing this Jewel of property up to levels not seen before in hospitality. Our employees are as passionate as myself including time share sales reps and customer relations officer.
You’ll allways see smiling faces and genuine corteous staff among a state of the art personalized service par exellence.
Most cordially,
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We had heard bad things about the timeshare presentation....believe them. They are accurate. A 90 min talk quickly turned into a 2 hr 30 min talk. However the room is exceptional and the construction is not too bad thus far. We do have a great view but to our right is a large crane. The lobby is beautiful and the pools are very nice....heated. Very close to large breaking waves.....we would come back to this resort. Spa isn't done yet...exercise facility not complete. You'd think they would offer complimentary passes to the gym at playa grande but no such luck $5 dollar gym fee.....free shuttle.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank MEWEHR1977
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We very much appreciate your feedback, as our goal is to continue to improve our onsite services.
Occasionally the future owner needs it’s time to visualize him or herself enjoying this product, product that increase in market value on a daily basis.
But most importantly, we are here to pamper you 24/7 year around.
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The poor poor Grand Solmar. Such a beautiful hotel, yet so poorly managed. When we arrived we were told our family would not have connecting rooms. With four small children, that was a huge inconvenience. Samuel, the bellboy, was very congenial but his presence is not enough to save this place. Leonardo at the front desk was very kind as situated us in a two bedroom penthouse but we were told we had to leave and check back into standard rooms after 2 nights. So we decided to make reservations at the Playa Grande which is in the same hotel group.

The next morning as we were readying to leave, we answered a pounding at our door and found a horrible little man named Antonio standing there. Antonio said he wanted us to stay at "his property." After nicely explaining to him that we had four small children, the hotel wasn't ready, we needed connecting rooms and to not have to move, blah blah blah, he still insisted we stay at his hotel. We informed him about our new reservation for a 2 bedroom penthouse at The Playa Grande, and he told us he would place us in two master suites at the Playa Grande for the same cost of what we were paying for the penthouse. Huh? Why was this an argument? We told him we were going to stick with our own reservation.

Upon checking out, we asked for a refund of our fully refundable deposit and he said he would only grant us a refund for one room because he said we booked through Expedia. We explained to him that we booked through the website and not through Expedia. Antonio argued with us about this for almost an hour. Antonio might very well be brain dead, as he said he would grant us a refund then lo and behold, when we get our billing statement a month later, ta da! no refund. We took it up with our credit card info, who opened up a fraudulent claim against the hotel and refunded our money, and that was that.

I would NEVER stay at the Grand Solmar as long as Antonio is a manager there, and I would advise anyone who is considering staying there NOT TO DO IT. The food is TERRIBLE, the hotel is not finished, and the management is abhorrent. Save yourself the headache and stay at Capella Pedregal, The Ridge, or even The Playa Grande.

The people writing good reviews for this hotel are the ones who got suckered into timeshares.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank TigerlilyN
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Tigerlily, we would like to apologize as we had a situation with our reservations system.
We feel sorry not have had the chance to accommodate you on two same size units as requested by you during your reservation. These type of units do not exist in our inventory. We hope to have the chance to make it better next time if you would kindly give us a chance.