Just returned from the Grand Solmar today. I am not usually one to write reviews but felt compelled to share my experiences as the reviews here on TA have always helped me in my travel plans. My husband and I have travelled to Cabo San Lucas several times and have always been pleased with where we have stayed but we were looking for something closer to downtown that could also offer some relaxation during the day. I found the Grand Solmar in my searches online and thought that i had found the best of both worlds that Cabo has to offer!!! We had high hopes given the reviews here but unfortunately our experience differed than most. I don't consider myself a complainer or high maintenance but do think that you deserve what you pay for and the Grand Solmar isn't cheap. First,the positives:
1. Friendly and helpful waitstaff - the servers at the restaurants and bars were so friendly and eager to please (especially Omar,Freddy, and Sergio around the pools)
2. Good food and drinks - ate breakfast and/or lunch here daily as well as enjoyed MANY beverages from the pool bar and all were wonderful
3. Good location - enjoyed the short stroll down the hill into downtown and the view of the Pacific (and the whales) were amazing...although I did miss the view of the Arch and Marina from the resort...didn't really feel like Cabo.
Now for the negatives:
1. Room/view - the room accomodations were nice but the "terrace" was more like a cubicle without a view. We where in bldg E, 3rd floor, and could barely see the ocean when outside. Our terrace was an outdoor concrete box with a wall that went halfway up in front of us - when sitting down I could maybe see the tops of trees - definitely no ocean. Not the "oceanfront" views that were promised. When asked to change rooms, the manager said that nothing else was available. Leading to problem 2.
2. Preference given to timeshare owners - "renters" are treated like second class citizens. No rooms were available when we said we were not interested in the timeshare presentation. Once the managerial staff (Antonio & Leonardo) discovered we were not interested in purchasing a timeshare, they were not interested in working with us or trying to meet our needs (even though we had still paid a very high price for our room that was not as described)!!
3. Construction - I knew that the construction was ongoing and didn't think it would be an issue but the drilling/jackhammering was constant and right outside our door. We couldn't even have the terrace door open to listen to the distant ocean waves because the construction was so loud - and they work 10 hours a day/6 days a week. However, not sure when their off day is because we were there Thurs - Mon and the construction was constant. One pool is essentially worthless as it sits right in front of the construction. There are 2 other pools that were open where you could not hear the construction but everyone is around those as choices are limited.
4. BUGS - Mosquitos inside the room that were horrible. I would wake up each day with no less than 10 bug bites on every part of my body that was not covered while I was sleeping (including my face)!!! They fumigated Saturday night - but only outdoors - which did nothing for indoor issue. Packed bug spray but didn't think I would need to apply before I went to sleep!
5. Musty mildew smell - not an issue in the room overall but in the closets. Ample storage space was nice so I unpacked and hung all of my clothes only to pull an outfit out the next day and it smelled so bad of must/mildew that I could not wear it! Had to hang the rest of my clothes outside (guess the cubicle/terrace was good for something) to air them out.
6. Customer satisfaction - although the servers and housekeeping staff were warm and friendly, the managerial staff did not seem concerned at all that our experience was less than desirable. At the end of our stay my husband talked with them and for our inconvenience they offered us 2 margaritas!!!! Seriously, add insult to injury. Talk about not understanding the importance of customer satisfaction or offering customer service....Goes back to the "renters as 2nd class citizens" mentality.
Overall, we tried not to let these things affect our vacation. Cabo San Lucas and it's wonderful weather, food, people, nightlight did not disappoint - unfortunately the Grand Solmar did in a big way and we won't be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Solmar is the new standard of luxury in Cabo San Lucas. Thoughtfulness and thoroughness are the trademarks of this grand resort. Every detail was considered right down to the intricate designs in the walkways, the stone entries to the rooms and the construction of subterranean passages so the busy staff does not interrupt relaxing guests. The award-winning design combines the grace of old world architecture with carefully crafted modern style. And the location will leave you speechless. A natural cliff forms the backdrop and guides guests to a lobby complete with a spectacular view of the mighty Pacific Ocean. From here, you can see pelicans soaring over golden sands and sailboats scooting across blue waves. Just feet away is the very tip of the Baja Peninsula in all its sun-drenched glory. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Resort And Spa
- Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico