“Does Not Disappoint”

Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Gooding, Idaho
“Does Not Disappoint”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My husband and I just returned from 2 glorious weeks at Grand Solmar. Besides having wonderful weather, Jason Crosson and the entire staff went the extra mile making sure our stay was memorable. After our daugter tried unsuccessfully to reach us, she became concerned and contacted Jason. He immediately connected with us and we were able to assure her all was well with mom and dad. I call that going the "extra" mile on Jason's part. We love this place -- the private beach, the warm inviting pools, and the friendly staff. All combined to make it the best. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I fail to see how any room would disappoint.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rcthompson
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
It is so refreshing to read that we did surpass your service expectations in full.
You are very important for us so please be prepared to be pampered.
Jean Louis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (992)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the Grand Solmar today. I am not usually one to write reviews but felt compelled to share my experiences as the reviews here on TA have always helped me in my travel plans. My husband and I have travelled to Cabo San Lucas several times and have always been pleased with where we have stayed but we were looking for something closer to downtown that could also offer some relaxation during the day. I found the Grand Solmar in my searches online and thought that i had found the best of both worlds that Cabo has to offer!!! We had high hopes given the reviews here but unfortunately our experience differed than most. I don't consider myself a complainer or high maintenance but do think that you deserve what you pay for and the Grand Solmar isn't cheap. First,the positives:
1. Friendly and helpful waitstaff - the servers at the restaurants and bars were so friendly and eager to please (especially Omar,Freddy, and Sergio around the pools)
2. Good food and drinks - ate breakfast and/or lunch here daily as well as enjoyed MANY beverages from the pool bar and all were wonderful
3. Good location - enjoyed the short stroll down the hill into downtown and the view of the Pacific (and the whales) were amazing...although I did miss the view of the Arch and Marina from the resort...didn't really feel like Cabo.

Now for the negatives:
1. Room/view - the room accomodations were nice but the "terrace" was more like a cubicle without a view. We where in bldg E, 3rd floor, and could barely see the ocean when outside. Our terrace was an outdoor concrete box with a wall that went halfway up in front of us - when sitting down I could maybe see the tops of trees - definitely no ocean. Not the "oceanfront" views that were promised. When asked to change rooms, the manager said that nothing else was available. Leading to problem 2.
2. Preference given to timeshare owners - "renters" are treated like second class citizens. No rooms were available when we said we were not interested in the timeshare presentation. Once the managerial staff (Antonio & Leonardo) discovered we were not interested in purchasing a timeshare, they were not interested in working with us or trying to meet our needs (even though we had still paid a very high price for our room that was not as described)!!
3. Construction - I knew that the construction was ongoing and didn't think it would be an issue but the drilling/jackhammering was constant and right outside our door. We couldn't even have the terrace door open to listen to the distant ocean waves because the construction was so loud - and they work 10 hours a day/6 days a week. However, not sure when their off day is because we were there Thurs - Mon and the construction was constant. One pool is essentially worthless as it sits right in front of the construction. There are 2 other pools that were open where you could not hear the construction but everyone is around those as choices are limited.
4. BUGS - Mosquitos inside the room that were horrible. I would wake up each day with no less than 10 bug bites on every part of my body that was not covered while I was sleeping (including my face)!!! They fumigated Saturday night - but only outdoors - which did nothing for indoor issue. Packed bug spray but didn't think I would need to apply before I went to sleep!
5. Musty mildew smell - not an issue in the room overall but in the closets. Ample storage space was nice so I unpacked and hung all of my clothes only to pull an outfit out the next day and it smelled so bad of must/mildew that I could not wear it! Had to hang the rest of my clothes outside (guess the cubicle/terrace was good for something) to air them out.
6. Customer satisfaction - although the servers and housekeeping staff were warm and friendly, the managerial staff did not seem concerned at all that our experience was less than desirable. At the end of our stay my husband talked with them and for our inconvenience they offered us 2 margaritas!!!! Seriously, add insult to injury. Talk about not understanding the importance of customer satisfaction or offering customer service....Goes back to the "renters as 2nd class citizens" mentality.

Overall, we tried not to let these things affect our vacation. Cabo San Lucas and it's wonderful weather, food, people, nightlight did not disappoint - unfortunately the Grand Solmar did in a big way and we won't be returning.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
27 Thank Susan S
Denham Springs, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We absolutely love Grand Solmar and all the people there. Everything is perfect, from the luxurious rooms, relaxing and beautiful pools, crashing waves, and outstanding service. We have met so many good friends here and love coming back year after year. We are bringing more friends and family in February to enjoy this little piece of paradise we have found in Cabo.

1 Thank Kenna0313
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
We are thrilled to read we did surpass your expectations while staying with us.
Grey Whale season continues providing a natural show for everyone’s delight while swimming in our carefully heated infinity pools.
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Just got back from another week at the Grand Solmar. We go back next month for another week...can't wait! The Service and Experience remains superb. Many thanks to Manny and Sammy for taking care of us. Sergio at the Land's End Pool was awesome as well. We have been going for a number of years and every time we are knocked out by the visit. The combination of location and service makes the Grand Solmar a "must visit!"

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bob S
I would like to thank you for your compliments.
We are thrilled to read your extraordinary and fun experience with us.
Reviewed 28 January 2013

we had purchased a new years week time share at the other solmar resort, playa grande. we had an opportunity to move to the new grand solmar, and we couldnt be happier...we purchased a ground floor 2 bedroom right at pools side. it was spectacular. great views and furnishings. pools service was great and food, for poolside was good. they do have some issues with really only one main resteraunt on property, but I believe as the resort will add some as it the other buildings are finished. since a cab ride into downtown cabo is only $5 there are plenty of other great choices to eat. if you are thinking of a cabo vacation, I would give grand solmar a shot

Room Tip: avoid the building where the reception is located
1 Thank Jcandkathyc
Our endeavor is to ensure at all times you have an incredible vacation with us.
Your gracious comments where gladly appreciated by our cordial staff.
Carlsbad, California, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have traveled to 26 countries all over the world. This resort is the finest hotel in which I have ever stayed. The pool service was phenomenal. The staff were very professional and friendly. Happy hour is a must at this resort, as they are very generous. The restaurant could be better; however, they compensated with their timely service. The staff was very accomodating, knowledgeable, genuine, and truly cared about their visitors. In fact, I didn't feel like a visitor or foreigner; I felt like family. They patrol their beaches to make sure everyone is safe. Reception is very helpful; concierge was fair at times, overall very accomodating. The rooms were very nice; extremely well built. I admired how nicely built and decorated the suites were; superb. All the nicest appliances; everything I would want in my home. The corners of the wall, the grout in between the tile; all perfect. Whoever built the suites and even the entire resort (how it's enmeshed into the rock) were definitely well trained. I look forward to seeing it finished. The infinity pools, golf cart rides, and calm atmosphere were unforgettable. Did I mention I saw the most beautiful sunset while I swimming in the pool? Rays jumping out of the water, whales breaching, and beautiful sunsets. Trust me, out of 26 countries, this is a must go. Cabo is alright, but returning back to GS Land's End Resort and Spa makes it a blast.

2 Thank Noah B
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
We create allways a romantic environment for all of our guests and club owners.
Attention to detail is our daily bread and we love it.
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Been at Playa Grande for years (still have week there), came over to GS last year and am delighted to be back this year and for years to come. Came down from the tundra this time with 4 newbies and now they want to come back next year, and the next....... So, have a two bedroom penthouse which easily fits 8. The whales (January) are seen off the patio all day long, a sea lion or two, rays, the waves are astonishing and the boat traffic is cool. It is a quick walk (or taxi) to the town and you come back to the peace & quiet of GS, the one exception is the sound of the waves. Don't hear any complaints about that. Always looking for different places to eat and would eat practically everywhere in Cabo. You will want to return to GS, especially after the construction is finished this year. Once you are here, you are on a first name basis and develop really cool freindships. You will find the same people in a year from now and can communicate and get excited together throughout the year. Your palces rocks Jean Louis. Now if only the airlines could make things easier.

Room Tip: After the construction this year, there won't be a bad place in the house
2 Thank Ron A
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
We always share heartfelt personalized service and attention to detail.
It was an honor meeting you and family.
Jean Louis and team