“Grand Solmar is so very GRAND, again!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Mexico
“Grand Solmar is so very GRAND, again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My Mom and I returned to Grand Solmar for Thanksgiving and Christmas...and it was absolutely wonderful again! It is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Try the All-Inclusive package for 3 days and enjoy a stress free dining/drinking experience you deserve in paradise! We loved it and the value! Watching the whales from the infinity pool while sipping on cocktails of the day is a dream come true. What makes it even more amazing is the staff that we return to every year and treat us like family. A big thank you to Eben, Humbierto, Samael, Jesus, Edgar, Freddy and crew at Las Brisas. Super gracias to Sabino, Carlos, Cesar, Sergio, Gerardo, Memo, Juan and Roberto and staff at La Roca. Of course thanks to the front desk staff for making a difference in our stay every day we pass by the desk Juan Ramon, Francisco, Ana, Bruce, Guadalupe and Cindy. We can't forget the guys that make sure we and our luggage make it back to our room by golf carts Sammy & Manny, thank you! See you next year Grand Solmar!

Room Tip: Until the construction is finished, try to request a room furthest from the work being done and high...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Mexican_Fanatic100
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Mexican_fanatic100

You are part of our family. And i have to words to express my gratitute to you and your mom. That you mention and remember a lot of names of our staff, means that your stay was a special one, and that we indeed surpass your expectations.

I know that Eben, Humberto, Samael, Jesus, Edgar, Freddy, Carlos, Sabino, Cesar, Sergio, gerry, and Guillermo along with Juan, Cindy, Bruce, Guadalupe, Ana, Francsico, Sammy & MAnny really appreciated your comments, and they will be waiting for you for your next holiday.

Yours truly,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We booked our stay in mid 2013 hoping construction might be done when our trip came around in Jan, 2014. Construction isn't finished and they're planning on building one more unit. I was worried from some reviews that the noise and construction crew might ruin our ambiance, but I found it to be fine. We even sat each day at the pool directly in front of the construction and I didn't find it to be a problem. There are so many pools available and none of them are ever overcrowded so you shouldn't have a problem finding somewhere to relax. I heard the sound of the crashing waves on the beach in the mornings more than I heard any construction.

All in all our trip was fabulous. We booked transportation through the hotel with a private van pick up at airport and a taxi van return. Both drivers were extremely friendly. The driver on our way to the hotel stopped at Walmart so we could pick up supplies which was very helpful. We did the timeshare presentation and found the sales people to be very kind and knowledgeable- we didn't get a hard sell or feel pressured to purchase at all which is rare. We loved the abundance of pools- so easy to find a chair any time of day- not like other hotels where you need to get up at crack of dawn and stake out your space. Watching whales migrate by in ocean right outside of the hotel was an awesome view-our kids loved it.

We only experienced two problems while on our trip. Our first night we ate dinner at the pool bar area. We ordered three soups and a ceviche with the intention of ordering something else- the order took 50 minutes to arrive which was awful so we never got the chance to order anything else. The soup must've already been prepared and was just waiting to scoop into a bowl and ceviche has to marinate in citrus juice so it had to have been prepared already as well. The bartender/server disappeared for 45 of those 50 minutes and seemed to be intoxicated. My husband and I were pretty shocked by the lack of service so he left only a 10% tip. When the bartender saw the tip he said something very unflattering in Spanish as we walked by which is unprofessional.

Our second mishap occured with the concierge a couple of days later. We had a bad experience with the parasailing company that the hotel booked for us (Baja). I was very upset when we arrived back at the hotel and went to the concierge to tell her- we had been dropped off at the wrong location in the marina after parasailing from where we were picked up. I had to walk wet and barefoot for 1/2 an hour with my daughters to get back to the beach where my husband and daughter were waiting. It was upsetting to have no money, no shoes, the evening coming and no clear sense of how to get back to the beach. The concierge didn't apologize, but instead seemed to blame me for gettting dropped off at wrong beach location to begin with by the taxi driver that the hotel called. Eventually we spoke to the manager on duty who was very kind, and he took care of the situation. While checking out we had to retrieve our taxi voucher for the ride to the airport from the concierge and the same woman was there. When my husband received the voucher and was walking away she said to another employee "that's the one I was telling you about" which is horrible customer service as well. To speak about a guest while they are in earshot should be unacceptable anywhere, but especially in a hotel of this caliber.

After our experience I would come again, but wouldn't eat in the hotel and wouldn't book excursions through their concierge. We ate at some awesome places in town and I would suggest looking online for good reviews instead of spending so much money at the hotel for spotty service. The rooms have a cooktop/microwave and fridge (no oven) so you can make food in your room as well. Drinks by pool were expensive but strong and poolside service was much better than bar restaurant service. All the other staff were friendly and helpful, which made the two bad encounters we had stand out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cakeshop
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Cakeshop

We want to thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review about the resort.

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had with the service at one of our bars along with the concierge service. You can trust me that our concierge wants to be very respectful to you, and when they notice you at their desk was because they already have all the information ready for you, so you do not need to wait again. They made a report to the company that offers that service in order to be more careful with our guest needs. We also have very strong system to check our employees so all our clients can feel safe with us.

We are glad that you love our staff customer service along with our hotel. I personally want to thank you for leaving me a personal note at your check out. I really aprecciated that. I know your stay was a pleasant one and thats for me is very important.

We are committed to make improvements. we promess you that will be working hard to improve these situations.

Richmond Heights, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife, daughter and I just returned to the midwest following two weeks of fabulous weather and pampering at a truly fine resort. Placed on the Pacific side at land's end, Grand Solmar is one great treasure with an absolute breath-taking view of sun rise and sun set, a pristine private beach and a truly world class facility and staff. From the moment we arrived the staff extended to meet our every need with such a welcoming, positive attitude and willingness. The wait staff in every venue is excellent and attentive. The Grand Solmar rooms are spacious and well appointed with sweeping views. The housekeeping staff is prompt and courteous often leaving a delightful finishing touch in the form of a clever way to arrange the towels or decorate the bed. The food is excellent and Chef Hector at La Roca and his staff have one of the great venues and fantastic dining experiences from casual breakfast and lunch to spectacular multi-course fine dining. One of our favorite treats is a Cooking Class with Chef Hector who generously shares his expert skills preparing a fabulous Sea Food Salad with Citrus and Chicken Breast with Red Mole. His attention to detail in preparation and artistry in presentation sets up the pleasure of dining at his table-really fun! Spa treatments are wonderful with special thanks to Karen, Nuyren, and Nataly. Jazmin, the manager of the Spa at sister facility Playa Grande organized treatments nicely as usual and Lilia has magical hands. Raymundo, Roberto, Jerardo, Juan. Luis all were delightful serving at pool-side venues. We can't wait to get back next year. Many thanks to all who made our trip a pure joy.

Room Tip: It is important to know that Grand Solmar is new. As such there is construction on the property. A...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John D
Dear John

We would like to thank you for your sweet and personal comments. For us is a plasure to know that you and your family have a perfect vacation staying with us. When you mention the names of the staff that provides exceptional service (like housekeeping, Chef Héctor, Nuren and NAtaly from the SPA, Raymundo, Roberto, Gerardo, Juan, Luis, along with JAzmin from our sister resort), that is very important as we consider this and recognize them in many posible ways.
I want to use this window to let our travelers know that we just present the employee of the trimester to our sweet Nataly, along with Adrian from the maintenance team and Adan from the steward crew. When you mention that this is a world class facilitie and that our staff were always welcoming and with a positive attitude, is priceless to me.
One of the favorite preparations our chef loves to do is the sea food salad, I am glad he has the opportunity to show you how he prepares it.
BEtween the cooking class and the wine making, we have many options that are a great opportunity to learn about our flavors in general.

We wil be waiting for you next year.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this resort. We were guest of some owners and I felt like everyday I couldn't thank them enough for asking us to come join them. When we arrived, the very first minute was exceptional-the staff was very professional and assisted us in every way possible.
Our room was GORGEOUS and so clean and organized, it made me feel right at home.
There was construction happening, but the atmosphere at the pool was so relaxing I will be honest, I didn't even notice noise.
The food was wonderful. Keep in mind though- You are on vacation...relax and enjoy. Loved the Fish Tacos as lunch at the pool.
The views at this resort are stunning. Every morning I would wake to whales in the ocean and in the evening, beautiful sunset views from our large balcony.

Numerous infinity pools to relax at, eat at or drink at...Adult pools for reading and quiet. Never once did I feel over crowded. The infinity area's by the bar would fill up the fastest in the morning but if you go in mid to late afternoon you can usually find a spot. Pool service was amazing as well with the staff going out of there way to be of service! Drinks aren't cheap, but you DO get your money's worth. TIP: Happy Hour is a great deal and you will drink two at a time while still finishing the first.
We did do the timeshare presentation and found our host to be very good company. Had our situation been a bit different, we might have went for it. Still we had great conversation with him, a very enjoyable breakfast and (lots of Soccer talk) I never felt pressured at all and understand completely that this is their business.
I can't imagine ever going to another resort after staying at the Grand Solmar- You will LOVE IT.

Room Tip: Is there a "bad" room?? I guess higher floors have greater sunset appeal.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear WesterlyWOE

After Reading all your post, i have just one Word in my mind; THANK YOU. BEcause for me and my staff is very important to receive this comments to let us know that we are doing things right, and that we should continue this trend, and improve it, to keep surpassing the expectations of all our guest.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our resort. Please say hi to the owners that invite you to our resort.

Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I'll start with saying as a single female traveler, I've never been fond of Mexico. I always feel like someone is trying to "work me" - and I get tummy sick everytime. Grand solmar is the solution. This hotel is on par with Ritz Carlton hotels I've stayed in--and better! Don't wait too long to visit -I think the prices will only go up! Secluded with spectacular views--and the hotel pretty much built into "lands end" rock formation. Waterfalls, pools and pool bars--decent restaurants and great staff. I rarely return to the same hotel twice, but I'm already booked in for spring break. Yes there is construction--and it starts at 7am...choose pools on the other side where it's peaceful. the hotel will only get better! And yes-- If you don't like timeshare presentations-just say no! My 13 year old daughter and I climbed the rocks at lands end over to lovers/divorce Beaches...amazing! Wear tennis shoes ! Restaurants are good for hotel properties. I eat there but my expectations are not the same as in the US. Pool drinks are strong!! Go and enjoy!!! Spectacular!!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Atozz1
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Atozz1

Thank you so much for your wondergful comments and for sharing them. BEing part of your dream vacation is priceless to us. That you will always remember this experience and that you already book our hotel for your next vacation is something that we treasure.

Our chefs are really working in new dishes, new ideas and presentations to provide the best experience for our guest. A lot of people told me what they can expect at our restaurants. I always said to them that they can expect great flavors, good music, amazing atmosphere, corteous and fast service, and of course, the best food. And there is only one reason you can expect the best food. Diego, Antonio, Francisco, luis, Daniel, Dany, Luis, Manuel, Héctor, Canseco, Crystal,(among others), all of them prepare their dishes with the best ingredient: LOVE. THey love what they prepare. They love to cook. They smile when they see someone taste their food. I will love to welcome you and all our guest and approach our kitchen that is also inside the restaurant. You will smell and feel the flavors. And watch them cook is a surreal and magical experience.

Thank you again! And see you in spring break!
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We just got back from spending a week at the Grand Solmar for New Years. This property is located in a perfect area. Very beautiful and quiet. The rooms are beautiful, and very spacious. The one thing I thought was odd was they did not have an oven or dish washer in them. I missed having them, as I do not like to do dishes.

The staff go out of their way to please you and try their hardest to accommodate you anyway they can. Juan Ramon was on of the nicest managers I met there. We had a few little problems when we checked in, and he went out of his way to make sure they were taken care of and addressed the situation immediately. I have a big family and it was not necessarily and easy task to do this.

I was concerned that I would be cold since we were on the Pacific side. The weather was perfect all day and at night, all I needed was a sweater. I brought a heavy jacket thinking I would need that, and thankfully I did not :)

We saw whales breaching out of the ocean while we were laying at the pool! It was awesome! The kids had a great time playing on the beach, and swimming at the pool. You can not swim in the ocean, as the current is very strong. There is a guard that patrols the area to make sure no one goes in the ocean. This was no big deal to the kids at all.

We walked into town a lot. It is a 20 minute walk to the harbor. We thought we would need to rent a car, but I am glad we didn't. The parking would have been a pain and unless you plan on doing a lot of sight seeing, you really don't need the car. We took taxis to Costco and Wal-Mart to buy the food for the week. It cost $12.00 each way.

They have a shuttle that will take you to the two other Solmar Hotels. Playa Grande is a beautiful hotel. It is more congested with people than the Grand Solmar, but very classy and the pools are amazing. Go to the Ridge, its got amazing views, and at the top is the pool with a water slide. It's a small water slide, but the kids still enjoyed it.

If you go to "The Office" (the popular restaurant on the main beach) make sure you do not drink any drinks with ice. Stick to beer, shots, or sodas that you can open. We went there, everyone who had ice drinks, got sick. I will not go into details on that!

The Caboret Sunset Cruise was a lot of fun. The food was great and the drinks were flowin! The live music was fun to go dancing after it was dark. The kids had a great time, and so did we.

We can't wait to go back. We have a timeshare in Hawaii and it does not hold a candle to the Grand Solmar. We look forward to coming back as soon as we can.

Thank you Juan Ramon, Herberto, Ruben, Fernando, and Alana for making this a wonderful vacation for my family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank CrazyMamaSteele
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear CrazymamaSteele

I am sure a lot of people will like your post as it offers a lot of information regarding the many activities that a person can do while being in Cabo. I specially love the whale season, just to be able to see this creatures is something out of this world. As you mention, you will be able to see them if you stay at our resort.

I would like to thank you for your words reagrding our location, our rooms, and specially our staff.

The only units that have an Oven are the 3 and 4 bedrooms. And the 4 bedrooms have the dishwasher option. Still, our daily maids can assist you in doing the dishes for you.

I personally want to acknowledge Juan Ramon, who, like in your case, really do his best to make every guest stay the best posible. HE is one of the hardest working staff member i have seen during this years. I also thank you for naming Heriberto, Ruben, Fernando and Alana who also surpass your family expectations.

We would love to welcome you back. We love being the place you love and enjoy. Timeless moments always.
Hillsboro, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Once again, my girlfriends and I enjoyed eight wonderful days at Grand Solmar. The staff continue to offer exceptional service and attention. The food continued to be great, prepared and served by a professional and really fun staff. Our suite was lovely and always clean. Many thanks to Arturo, Roberto, Alex, Jesus, Manny, and many many others. Lots of whales this time (December) which was wonderful. I purchased here prior to construction on the faith that it would turn out to be the exceptional resort that it has become. One of the best investments I've made. Thank you again!

Room Tip: I have a Penthouse and they are incredible. I've stayed in the one-bedrooms and they are lovely...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rena S
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Rena

Thank you again for your wonderful post and comments regarding your most recent stay. It is amamzing that year after year, you always feel that our service is keeping better and better. I will share this with Arturo, Roberto, Alejandro, JEsus, MAnny and all our staff members.

Our Chef Lucas is really doing a marvellous job in creating unforgettable dishes for all our guest with his team, that includes Chef Luis, Chef MAnuel, Chef Francisco, Chef Carlos, and all his crew of amazing cookers.

I am delighted and very satisfied when you mention this has been the best investment of your life.

We are here for you , always!