“Fish Hard - then Go Home (if they let you) !!!”

RenegadeMike Sportfishing
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A couple of weeks before my wife and I visited Cabo, I emailed Mike to ask if he had anyone interested in sharing a trip during our stay there. He put me in touch with a lovely couple from Northern California who were looking to share a charter.
The three of us fished on Thursday 7/17 and we slayed the tuna!!!
Mike and his crew put us on the fish and wouldn't let us stop!!!
Multiple double and triple hook ups with Mike and the crew managing the action, coaching, advising, encouraging, and cheering.
If we didn't tell Mike and his crew that it was time to go home we might still be out there.
We sailed into the marina flying 18 tuna flags.
There was not a single other boat in a marina that handles more than 250 boats with more to show for a day on the ocean. None.
If you decide to sail with Mike, be prepared to fish hard.

1  Thank WinnieC

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My reason for this review is due to a review I had seen on RenegadeMike that he did not even go show up but, like the reviewer warned you may get stuck with a couple of local guys that can barely speak English and do not try very hard to catch fish. So I called Mike to make sure this would not happen to me. And he assured me it would not. Well it did and it cost me over $500 to hear all is problems or excuses of why he was not at the boat like promised. And then contact me to tell me I was supposed top tip the crew 20% of the $500 dollars and was cheap and expected to much from fishing. I gave the crew $50 for bait that I was told was $45 and did not get my change. When I asked for my change the local crew member told me he gave it to the bait guy. He later told me I should have told them I spoke Spanish so that they would not say something bad. UNBELIEVABLE. I still gave them all my fish and $20. I have been fishing avidly for forty + years and even worked on sport fishing boats for 3 years and I know you don't always catch what you want. I also know when I have been lied to and mistreated. He also continued to put me down by say "your the typical tourist that always expects to catch fish and complains when you don't!" That's not the problem. You should of heard how many reasons he had for not showing up like previously promised when I booked this very expensive half day of fishing. Do your self a favor and fish with Minerva or Pegasus charters!

7  Thank RBCMarketingInc
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband, myself and another couple fished for 3 days with Renegade Mike and had a lot of fun. He and his crew worked hard to put us on fish. In all, we brought in 7 Marlin and one huge dorado. We definitely recommend him highly.

3  Thank Leigh I
Reviewed 4 February 2014

If you love to stand up and fish hard, Mike is the man to go fishing with in Cabo San Lucas. He's a great communicator in fluent English and Spanish, a great fisherman, and a inspired teacher. He's generous with his hard earned knowledge of big game and inshore fishing. He cut his teeth on the innovative techniques of the San Diego long range fleet, fishing big tuna, wahoo and assorted game fish in Mexican waters. His boat is rigged optimally for comfort and success for the type of fishing one does in Cabo. You can tell him what your interested in catching and he'll make it happen if they're biting. He's a great storyteller, motivator, and fishing coach. I tried three fleets when I went to Cabo for a week: Minerva's, Picante, and Mike. They're all good fisherman, but Mike is a cut above. No one fishes harder than him, he is tireless. The other fleets don't want you handling baits, tending your rods at the rail, or setting the hook. They want to do it all for you and hand you the rod once the fish is on. If you're Thurston Howell III and you want to lounge around in a fighting chair, sipping cool beverages while the local help does all the grunt work of fishing for you, then pick another boat, any boat other than Mike's out there. But if you want to stand at the rail like a fisherman should, tend your own baits, feel the thrill of getting bit and setting your own hooks (all with inspired, expert guidance), and kick some butt like they do on the San Diego long range boats, then Mike's the only way to go that I know of down there.

I took my 15 year old son for a full day trip and we had a great time, catching three marlin (about 120 lbs), a dorado, and a shark. I was impressed with his high grade, well maintained tackle, his very clean, well run boat, his courteous hardworking crew, and his approachable manner. We sat with Mike at the helm the whole ride back, talking about California, fishing, Mexican life and culture, and even then he was still fishing, looking for feeding game fish that we could stop and throw a bait at, which is how we picked up a Galapagos shark. I would love to go back during the tuna/wahoo season in late Fall/early Winter to really tear things up and learn from one of the best.

2  Thank JSim21
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We booked Renegade Mike's boat for a half day fishing trip in January. There were 6 of us. It was an AWESOME day!

Mike handled all the licenses, registrations, and bait. We left on-time, if not early. The boat was big, clean, and had a bathroom. Mike's two staff, Omar and Javier, were friendly and extremely helpful. Mike is a great fisherman and therefore, a great teacher. Plus it helped he spoke perfect English (he is an American). We caught 5 Mahi Mahi and 1 Marlin, which was actually a lot for a 1/2 trip. They are a catch and release boat for the Marlin but allowed us to take as many pictures as we wanted with the fish first! After the fishing, they took us over by the arch for more pictures. On the way back into the marina, we fed the sea lions and pelicans which was a neat experience! Once we were docked, the staff filleted the fish.

We can't say enough great stuff about our fishing trip so in short, WE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED Renegade Mike for a great fishing experience!

Thanks for an awesome trip Mike, Omar, and Javier!!!! We will see you again soon!!

1  Thank crawfoaj