Our stay at the Portofino occurred a week following a stay at a "mega-resort" on the Los Cabos corridor, closer to San Jose de Cabo. That resort had included a number of pools and hot tubs, luxurious features and on-site restaurants. The Portofino, from its reviews, sounded much smaller, and older. As it turned out, we were much happier with our Portofino stay!
Portofino has less than 20 units, and it is up a rather steep hill. Because we're active seniors, we stated on check-in that we'd take the highest unit possible, as long as it had a great view. Unit 5A, which we were assigned, was up the steps, but ascending them every day reminded us of the old Tuscan or Spanish hill-towns that we'd seen in Europe. The staff helped us with our suitcases, and were available all week to assist us with trip plans, suggestions for transportation to the airport, and even gave us extra clothes hangers - immediately! The cleaning and maintenance staff were dedicated to the resort, always visible, and the units were cleaned daily. And, yes, the view of the harbor below was awesome! In addition:
• On arrival on Friday, the manager greeted us personally and warmly, and gave us sandwiches and beverage. No such treat at the mega-resort, unless you wanted to sit through a time-share presentation. A basket of fruit and a week's worth of coffee were delivered in the afternoon. The "mega" provided just one small packet of coffee, and the rest were at a cost.
• Every who wanted was given a free van ride to the Walmart on Saturday, to grocery shop. There is also a small grocery store nearby, for food staples. The staff prepared a wonderful Mexican buffet for all of the guests on Tuesday night, and a cocktail party on Thursday. Once again, no time-share session to sit through!
• Wi-fi was free, and available in the office and at the pool. The cost was $50/week for a slow connection at the "mega" and the log-on covered only one computer at a time. At Portofino we printed our boarding passes for free - it had cost us an hour of computer time ($7.00) at the mega
• Phone calls to the US and Canada were free from the office. At the "mega" don't even think about it!
Yes, the unit could have been more "modern" but for the minor inconvenience of older bathrooms and just one pool and hot tub, we were treated like special guests, and were able to get to know the other guests there, because the resort was so small. The morning view of the fishing boats leaving the harbor, and a short walk to all of the fun at Cabo San Lucas was worth everything!
- Also Known As:
- Portofino De Cabo Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Portofino De Cabo Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico