“Loved it”

Cabo Paraiso Condo Hotel
Sylvan Lake, Canada
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

As I had read previous reviews prior to going, I was prepared for whatever. I enjoyed the clean, modern rooms. Management was friendly and more than accomodating. Staff was very pleasant and eager to please any request. The downtown area is a very short walk and by taking different routes, we saw lots of interesting things. This is a very quiet facility. Its very secure and safe.. a locked gate to get on the grounds, a locked gate to get into the stairwell to get to the rooms area, and another locked gate to get into the main hotel area! There were several single people staying there long term who were very pleasant to chat with. No loud partying going on there! There is a phone in the lobby to call Canada or USA free of charge. What a nice touch. Even the smallest room had a fridge, cooking surface, microwave and coffee pot. Larger rooms had a full stove. The view from the shared decks were of the city and at a distance, the bay. Almost every morning, a cruise ship came in. Less than a block away is an OXXO store (like Macs or 7-11) for quick items and booze. There is no elevator, but the stairs are clear and well maintained. Hauling groceries is the fitness feature :)

Now.. the advertising should be changed. A large breakfast was the only meal available, and is a super deal ! $7 USD. No poolside bar and no other meals, as advertised. No room service at all. The air conditioners are very modern, but are regulated electronically according to temperature.. We were unable to turn them on, but the large ceiling fans were good enough. The pool is cool in temperature, but was refreshing on a hot day.

I would definitely go back, even if it was alone. Cabo felt very safe and friendly.

Room Tip: Phone ahead and ask about views. I had a room with no view, but it was only $30 a night. Some room...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lakegal2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Great view from our appt, great service, room service and value, I would recommend

Room Tip: there is no fitness center
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This place is horrible! Last time I'm here.. The owner is just out of his mind, and will throw the police at you just for reasons he makes up to steal your money.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank DiegooLG

Travellers are raving about these Cabo San Lucas hotels

cabo san lucas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Where to begin? Let’s start with the pros.. The rooms themselves are nice, clean, and furnished having most of the dishes needed to cook and live, the maids are good and come in and clean your floors every two days. However many things advertised are actually unavailable.

It says it has A/C however when we requested using it Bob(the ex cop on a powertrip owner) says we can have the remote when HE FEELS it’s hot enough for us to use it. Go figure it’s not now, when during the day it reaches +30c. He advertises a bar on the deck; however he does not have a liquor license and has not used the bar in more than 6 or 7 months. The breakfast that is supposed to be affordable and delicious is overpriced (over double what is advertised) and not very good.

Bob the owner has an undiagnosed case of bipolar (maybe he is diagnosed but doesn’t take his meds). His actions will speak more than my words if you decide to stay here. When you first meet him he seems nice and reasonable, however after a week his attitude quickly changes. He yells and screams, treats his staff disrespectfully (He calls Estaban his maintenance worker Esta-bano. bano being the Spanish word for Toilet) Once in a bad mood watch out. I especially recommend not staying on the first floor, which is close to his office because you will only hear him yelling at his very quiet sweet wife Anita. He blows everything WAY out of Proportion and thinks he is god in some twisted game in his head. I DO NOT RECOMMEND STAYING HERE EVER!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank oceantraveler3567
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The owner is out for one thing - MONEY. I locked my keys in my room and hopped threw my open window (which had no screen and was wide open). Because of this he claims I broke the non existent screen as well as broke the entire window, which is entirely untrue. He then continued to make up lies about remotes that went missing and numerous other things and charged me an additional 200.00 without my consent. Asking the people who actually live in the condo about him, I have heard only bad things and will NEVER return. I have never felt so disrespected and helpless, because once he has your credit card information, which he requests, he can make up as many lies as he wants and you're screwed because its your word against his. He also provides false pictures online. NOT WORTH IT.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank awebo27
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I stayed for almost a month so took the monthly rate of $450USD for a studio and with a view of the harbour out my window, clean and modern suite, pool and solar heated hottub, offered breakfast and laundry I found it to be good value. The owner Bob and his wife run a tight ship which left a good feeling of security to go along with the aforementioned value.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
West Coast USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We did a lot of research prior to booking our room at Cabo Paraiso. We could have booked a room at any of a number of places for about the same cost per night. We chose Paraiso because of representations in advertising we found on the web. We looked forward very much to enjoying Xmas in warm Mexico.

Let me start with the virtues of the place. The property is new, our bed was comfortable, the room was spacious. The maid staff does an excellent job, our room was cleaned superbly, and the grounds were very well maintained.

The hotel is located out of town, but close to town, the location is actually very good. Some of the advertising claims its within walking distance, I disagree. I measured it with my car odometer, its 0.8 miles one way to where the decent restaurants start. And the walk back is uphill much of the way. In addition, there are many areas without sidewalks, and after sunset its quite dark in many spots. Plus, once you get back to the hotel, there are many flights of stairs to deal with. If you’re anything less than super fit, you won’t be walking to and from town every day, I guarantee you that.

The room is clearly advertised as being air conditioned. Upon being shown the room, I asked the owner/host Bob where the air conditioning controls were. Bob’s response was, its not that warm right now, you don’t need air conditioning. He then went on to say in no uncertain terms that if after one night, we wanted AC, we would have it.

You might not think mid-December is hot if you live in Cabo full time, but for a visitor, it was hot. The building is concrete, not insulated, and sits in the sun for 8 hours every day. The rooms don’t instantly cool off the minute the sun goes down. We were uncomfortable the first night. So the next morning I asked for the AC (see promise from Bob in previous paragraph), but just for the bedroom, and I told Bob I would use it only at night to help us sleep well. Bob countered by saying he wanted to turn it on, but he needed to have “his guy” show up to make it happen, and “his guy” was on xmas vacation and wouldn’t be back until after our stay was over. Well, how convenient, Bob, I guess you must think I’m a naive idiot that wouldn't realize that your whole objective was to avoid paying for electricity. Even if one was to believe the story about "the guy" was true, what kind of hotel operator doesn't know how to do something basic like enabling the AC units?

In an effort to be comfortable, we slept with the windows open, unfortunately many home owners in the area have large dogs they keep outdoors, and they bark frequently throughout the night. We slept poorly.

According to advertising, the pool was to be 82 degrees, and the spa/whirlpool even warmer. At check in, Bob advised that since it had not been that sunny lately, both the pool and whirlpool were not that warm. That was an understatement. Both were about 74 degrees. Piecing together parts of conversations we overheard, we determined the problem was not a lack of sun. The sun shines for 8 hours a day, seven days a week in mid-December in Cabo. Any cloud cover is temporary and hangs around for at most 2 hours, and even that happens three or four days a month maximum (if the area was often cloudy November through February, people wouldn’t go to Cabo for winter vacation, would they?). A cold night is 55 degrees. The problem was the solar heating system for the pool was busted. We saw Bob and the weekly pool man messing around trying to get the thing working, but at no point did we or any of the other guests see a proper technician working to repair the system. All the fellow guests we spoke with were quite miffed about the pool situation. According to some of the longer term guests, the pool heating system quit working sometime in November. And here we were in mid-December, and it was still on the fritz.

Web advertising posted by the owners included mention of an onsite restaurant serving breakfast and lunch at budget friendly prices, as well as a bar (which I found just five minutes before I posted this review). There was no bar, it had been closed for several months. And there was no lunch service. There was a breakfast offered 6 days a week, but it was expensive (much more expensive than advertised on the web, about double the cost of getting breakfast in town) and the quality of the food was poor.

We booked this hotel because it was advertised as being modern, air conditioned, with a great heated pool and on-site restaurant that could serve us two modestly priced meals a day, as well as a bar that might be fun to hang around in. What was actually provided was a non-air-conditioned room, a frigid pool, a diminished restaurant, and no bar.

Upon check out, I communicated to Bob my disappointment. I briefly explained that the main reason we chose to stay at Paraiso was the heated pool (I could have also complained about having no AC, but decided against it). I felt something should be done to compensate us financially for the fact the pool was not usable. His surly response was, “You're in Mexico, that’s how it goes.”

Bottom Line, don’t stay here unless you like being on the wrong end of a Bait and Switch.

PS. We really enjoyed Cabo, it is a great place, we intend to return, but we’ll obviously stay somewhere else in the future.

PS2. There will be an additional room or rooms under construction at Cabo Paraiso in 2012. Could be noisy/inconvenient for guests.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple