“Treasure in a Pirate Ship!!!”

The Sunderland Pirate Ship
More attraction details
Owner description: The "Sunderland" A unique and unforgettable adventure not to be missed! Built in 1885, she is the oldest operating English Tall Ship in the world! We offer daily tours starting in the Bay of Cabo San Lucas, past "Lover's Beach", "Lands End" and the famous "El Arco". Tours include; "Hands on Sailing", "Whale Watching", "Snorkeling", and "Sunset Cruise". All tours include appetizers and an all inclusive bar! A historical and exiting adventure for all!
Granite Bay, California, United States
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Treasure in a Pirate Ship!!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

On March 19th 2013 my best friend and I took a cruise on the Sunderland. It was truly a wonderful experience. From the second you enter the boat the crew are at your beck and call and taking care of every need that you might have. The boat was spotless and filled with rich history that only a boat like that can offer. The drinks were delicious and the food was great too. The crew on the boat were extremely professional and our safety was of utmost importance to them. Thank you to the Sunderland and it's crew for giving me a night that I will carry in my heart forever.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Robin M

California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Pirate Ship Snorkel - BEST choice!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My sister and I booked the Sunderland Pirate Ship snorkel through our cruise ship while in Cabo San Lucas, and were amazed at how well this company organizes their excursion. From leaving our ship to our return, there was not one glitch and everything was well-explained and easy to follow.

BEST of all, the Pirate Ship crew were true professionals. I was most impressed by this: the crew was very casual and playful- they were extremely engaging and entertaining, joking all the time and including everyone - yet they had a close, close watch on safety and security at all times. They served us beverages and interacted with everyone on board. Prior to snorkeling, they explained how we would go about it (swim to shore and walk to the snorkel area close by), gave us our life jackets and gear, and gave us tips on staying safe. They described options for those who wanted to swim, kayak or stay on board and enjoy the environment.

We moved on to snorkel with Halley as our guide, who never left us. He kept watch over us and when we swam back to shore, the surf turned a bit difficult, but he navigated us safely to the beach. I snorkeled a lot, so when we headed back to the Pirate Ship, I became very tired while swimming and started to float in the water. I saw that the crew were keeping an eye on me and one of them ultimately swam over to make sure I made it safely back to the ladder.

After that, they served us snacks, which were commercially packaged (so no worry about sanitation). We remained anchored while many folks swung off a rope into the water, and we had a delightful time. By the way, I used the toilet before we snorkeled, and it was immaculate.

I feel that what made this excursion well worth it, and a best choice, was they way the crew handled the passengers. Fun, safe, friendly and informative - they are the BEST!

I would like to add that there was an apparently independent photographer on board named Manuel. He was as friendly and helpful as the crew, and NOT at all aggressive. He used a laptop to show each passenger the photos he had taken, and he printed them out for those who chose to buy. They were not over priced, like on the cruise ship. HOWEVER, since the price of the Pirate Ship included the water taxi, the gear, the guides AND the snacks, I didn't bring any money at all. I thought we would go out there and return right to the ship. It didn't even dawn on me to bring money for a tip, which the crew certainly earned! Fortunately, my sister brought some cash, and we were able to leave a nice tip; but we did not have enough to buy the photos that Manuel had taken. And he took GREAT photos. He even agreed to keep them overnight so I could come back and buy them the next day, but it proved too difficult for me to get from the cruise ship back to the Pirate Ship by water taxis at the right time that Manuel would be there. Such a shame, because his photos of us were fantastic, and he was very accommodating.

So bring some cash, so you can tip these fine young men and also take home some photographic memories as well! I highly recommend this excursion.

I commend the owner and management of this company; as they provide a safe and fun adventure and hire crew who clearly have the right personality and skills to make great memories for their customers. Thank you so much!

Visited April 2013
TheCaboPirateShip, Owner at The Sunderland Pirate Ship, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thanks for coming! Sunderland is an original ship and a unique excperience. Great for families and those looking to see Cabo in a different light. Look forward to having you back
Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun Time, Great Crew, Not a Party Boat”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We selected this ship because we learned that there are two "Pirate ships" that go out at sunset. One is a party boat, the other is Sunderland. We passed by the party boat on our way to the Sunderland, and it was "packed" with what appeared to be 18-25 year olds, all wonderful people, I'm sure, but we thought not the best group for our mid-teenagers.
The Sunderland crew welcomed us on board and took special care of one disabled passenger with us. We settled in, they brought drinks for us (beer, margies, no-alcohol pina's), and we headed out.
When the crew wasn't working, they stopped by for chats, to answer questions, or to joke with both adults and the teens. The captain answered questions about the history of the ship (built in 1890), and how all the "parts" functioned. We had a great time with the crew, who talked about their shipboard jobs and what they did in their "off-time." The kids were taken up the bow ropes a bit.... very safely, but a lot of fun for them.
A very decent meal was served, and the crew made sure that everyone got as much as they wanted.
We went under sail for about an hour, which was totally peaceful with wonderful views. We took lots of pictures, many with crew members. Great guys.
I strongly recommend this sunset dinner sailing.

Visited March 2013
Chicago, IL
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Pleasant evening”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We sailed on the Sunderland for a sunset dinner cruise. We choose the Sunderland because we wanted to experience the history of the ship. It was beautiful. And the crew is AMAZING! They hoist the sails, serve a very tasty dinner, (fantastic guacamole) keep the drinks flowing and make sure everyone is having a great time. You sail around the Cabo Arch (great photo op) out into the Pacific. The sunset was spectacular! Nice relaxing way to spend an evening in Cabo.

Visited February 2013
Glad you enjoyed everything on the boat! the crew works hard to show their enthusiasm en this original and real sailing tall ship.
Carson City Nevada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Unique”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

If you want a very unique and real experience, try the Sunderland! Just being on a ship with the history of this ship was an experience. You could tell the crew members were real sailors! When the captain (Elvis-who we love) yelled, "Let's Sail!" you could see the crew's excitement at hoisting the sails! You may not go the distance of the other ships as it depends on the winds, but that is what is makes this trip such a unique experience. If you appreciate the past and want a fun experience, try the Sunderland!

Visited February 2013