“Magical Evening!”

The Sunderland Pirate Ship
More attraction details
Owner description: The "Sunderland" A unique and unforgettable adventure not to be missed! Built in 1885, she is the oldest operating English Tall Ship in the world! We offer daily tours starting in the Bay of Cabo San Lucas, past "Lover's Beach", "Lands End" and the famous "El Arco". Tours include; "Hands on Sailing", "Whale Watching", "Snorkeling", and "Sunset Cruise". All tours include appetizers and an all inclusive bar! A historical and exiting adventure for all!
Reviewed 10 June 2013

It was quite an adventure for a 5'3 California girl + cowboy hat + boots to make it to Sunderland via water-taxi boat. Nonetheless, it was all worth it for what the cruise had offered me that evening - something I'd like to call "magical"!
Without the amazing crew (Francisco, Elvis, Ana... last but not least - Dannie) who shows the love and dedication to their jobs and to the tourists' experience, this would just be another cruise from Cabo I'd forget about instantly.
With them I've learned so much (despite the explosion of happiness in my brain as on-going tequila shots keep coming my way) about the history of El Arco, the 1800 classic wooden boat , manually manuvered headsail, mainsail, mast and boom...
What will be keeping me coming back to Cabo will not be the fancy resort I paid for, but the warmness of the people of Cabo who never hesitate to show me a good time, to teach me a little about how simple life could be with contagious smiles and love.
Until next time, mi amigos!

3  Thank Veronica V

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We spent two of our seven evenings in Cabo aboard the Sunderland in February. Vacation is all about new experiences so I'm amazed we chose to do the same activity twice! Our first sunset cruise was so much fun we returned the next evening. Captain Elvis fulfilled his promise to raise the sails the second evening as the first evening was too calm. The boat is old, authentic and awesome; no fiberglass, chrome or plastic. The crew was fun; music selection appropriate; and the simple meal they served from the tiny little galley was just right. Nothing high tech or modern about this attraction but the Sunderland is a mighty little schooner with an awesome crew. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 29 April 2013

On March 19th 2013 my best friend and I took a cruise on the Sunderland. It was truly a wonderful experience. From the second you enter the boat the crew are at your beck and call and taking care of every need that you might have. The boat was spotless and filled with rich history that only a boat like that can offer. The drinks were delicious and the food was great too. The crew on the boat were extremely professional and our safety was of utmost importance to them. Thank you to the Sunderland and it's crew for giving me a night that I will carry in my heart forever.

1  Thank Robin M
Reviewed 11 April 2013

My sister and I booked the Sunderland Pirate Ship snorkel through our cruise ship while in Cabo San Lucas, and were amazed at how well this company organizes their excursion. From leaving our ship to our return, there was not one glitch and everything was well-explained and easy to follow.

BEST of all, the Pirate Ship crew were true professionals. I was most impressed by this: the crew was very casual and playful- they were extremely engaging and entertaining, joking all the time and including everyone - yet they had a close, close watch on safety and security at all times. They served us beverages and interacted with everyone on board. Prior to snorkeling, they explained how we would go about it (swim to shore and walk to the snorkel area close by), gave us our life jackets and gear, and gave us tips on staying safe. They described options for those who wanted to swim, kayak or stay on board and enjoy the environment.

We moved on to snorkel with Halley as our guide, who never left us. He kept watch over us and when we swam back to shore, the surf turned a bit difficult, but he navigated us safely to the beach. I snorkeled a lot, so when we headed back to the Pirate Ship, I became very tired while swimming and started to float in the water. I saw that the crew were keeping an eye on me and one of them ultimately swam over to make sure I made it safely back to the ladder.

After that, they served us snacks, which were commercially packaged (so no worry about sanitation). We remained anchored while many folks swung off a rope into the water, and we had a delightful time. By the way, I used the toilet before we snorkeled, and it was immaculate.

I feel that what made this excursion well worth it, and a best choice, was they way the crew handled the passengers. Fun, safe, friendly and informative - they are the BEST!

I would like to add that there was an apparently independent photographer on board named Manuel. He was as friendly and helpful as the crew, and NOT at all aggressive. He used a laptop to show each passenger the photos he had taken, and he printed them out for those who chose to buy. They were not over priced, like on the cruise ship. HOWEVER, since the price of the Pirate Ship included the water taxi, the gear, the guides AND the snacks, I didn't bring any money at all. I thought we would go out there and return right to the ship. It didn't even dawn on me to bring money for a tip, which the crew certainly earned! Fortunately, my sister brought some cash, and we were able to leave a nice tip; but we did not have enough to buy the photos that Manuel had taken. And he took GREAT photos. He even agreed to keep them overnight so I could come back and buy them the next day, but it proved too difficult for me to get from the cruise ship back to the Pirate Ship by water taxis at the right time that Manuel would be there. Such a shame, because his photos of us were fantastic, and he was very accommodating.

So bring some cash, so you can tip these fine young men and also take home some photographic memories as well! I highly recommend this excursion.

I commend the owner and management of this company; as they provide a safe and fun adventure and hire crew who clearly have the right personality and skills to make great memories for their customers. Thank you so much!

TheCaboPirateShip, Owner at The Sunderland Pirate Ship, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Thanks for coming! Sunderland is an original ship and a unique excperience. Great for families and those looking to see Cabo in a different light. Look forward to having you back

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We selected this ship because we learned that there are two "Pirate ships" that go out at sunset. One is a party boat, the other is Sunderland. We passed by the party boat on our way to the Sunderland, and it was "packed" with what appeared to be 18-25 year olds, all wonderful people, I'm sure, but we thought not the best group for our mid-teenagers.
The Sunderland crew welcomed us on board and took special care of one disabled passenger with us. We settled in, they brought drinks for us (beer, margies, no-alcohol pina's), and we headed out.
When the crew wasn't working, they stopped by for chats, to answer questions, or to joke with both adults and the teens. The captain answered questions about the history of the ship (built in 1890), and how all the "parts" functioned. We had a great time with the crew, who talked about their shipboard jobs and what they did in their "off-time." The kids were taken up the bow ropes a bit.... very safely, but a lot of fun for them.
A very decent meal was served, and the crew made sure that everyone got as much as they wanted.
We went under sail for about an hour, which was totally peaceful with wonderful views. We took lots of pictures, many with crew members. Great guys.
I strongly recommend this sunset dinner sailing.