“Not currently sailing (as of July 17, 2013)”

The Sunderland Pirate Ship
More attraction details
Owner description: The "Sunderland" A unique and unforgettable adventure not to be missed! Built in 1885, she is the oldest operating English Tall Ship in the world! We offer daily tours starting in the Bay of Cabo San Lucas, past "Lover's Beach", "Lands End" and the famous "El Arco". Tours include; "Hands on Sailing", "Whale Watching", "Snorkeling", and "Sunset Cruise". All tours include appetizers and an all inclusive bar! A historical and exiting adventure for all!
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not currently sailing (as of July 17, 2013)”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Having read reviews here, we really wanted to go on the Sunderland. And there were *plenty* of ticket sellers at the marina who assured us the ship was sailing today and would have gladly sold us tickets. However, we walked down to the ship and it looked deserted. We came back by a few hours later and were able to talk with actual crewmembers from both the Sunderland and the Cabo Legend, which were moored up together.

It turns out the Sunderland isn't sailing, as it's waiting for its official papers to come in from *Tonga.* They had no idea when they might get here. This explains why the ship's website is currently down too! The Cabo Legend was having engine problems today, but they might be sailing soon.

I gave this 5 stars because I really want to go on it, but also want to warn other travelers: in the low season in Cabo (June-August), places are often shut down or having other issues, like the Sunderland is having.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank _aIchemist_

Okotoks, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Good value, good food, good drinks”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We went out on the Sunderland for a sunset cruise. Left the Marina about 5:30 pm and returned around 8ish. We didn't leave the Bay because the sea was too rough. I noticed none of the other sunset cruises did either. I have taken many sunset cruises in Cabo and have found the Sunderland to be one of the best values ( we have the Los cabos passport so it's 2 for 1). I wasn't expecting a meal (usually it chips and salsa or a small cheese plate) but I was very pleasantly surprised to be provided a great beef and chicken fajita meal with beans, rice, chips and quacamole! Quite delicioso! Also the drinks were top knotch made by a very busy bartender who often was making 4 different drinks at the same time but he managed to keep up with demand very well. There was also a roving photographer but we didnt partake and he was fine with it...no pressure. We didnt have kids with us but i did notice the staff was exceptionally good with the young passengers! It was very enjoyable to be a passenger on this very old boat. It gave me a good taste of history. I would do this trip again.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank goodnessgracious
Auckland, NZ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Excellent Fun Trip”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We did this trip as an excursion from our cruise ship and had such fun. My husband and I love all boating and The Sunderland is such a grand old lady of the sea, full of character and history. We were greeted onboard by the crew and made to feel at home, safety was explained and we cast off for a fun few hours during which time we hoisted the sails which looked spectacular and sailed down the coast to the rocky outcrop and got great close up views. Refreshments were served throughout the trip. We anchored in a bay to go snorkeling and Harley accompanied us and watched over us the whole time, safety measures were exceptional with ropes to guide us and very clear safety instructions. Back on board the barman was mixing up amazing drinks and music was playing as we sailed back into port where the same barman did an amazing swing off the ship onto the dock to help tie the ship up. A great day with a fun, professional crew. Thank you.

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Crew on a Tall Ship”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We were supposed to have our sunset fajitas dinner on a modern catamaran, but they ran out of space so we went with the pirate ship Sunderland. I thought dinner on a "pirate ship" would be hokey, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't. While the crew did wear pirate type clothing, that was it for the pirate theme. The crew was great. Friendly, helpful, and possibly the hardest working people we saw on our trip. One of the crew went up into the rigging putting on a nice show. They raised two of the forward sails for the first half of the trip. My girlfriend was very impressed that it was a real sailing ship that was over a hundred years old - though it does use a motor most of the time these days. The only problem with the Sunderland being an old sailing vessel, is that the bath rooms are primitive. The fajitas dinner was very good - tasty and seconds if you wanted it. Also, dinner included an open bar. We were very happy to be on the Sunderland instead of larger modern catamaran.

Visited May 2013
Alameda, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Magical Evening!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

It was quite an adventure for a 5'3 California girl + cowboy hat + boots to make it to Sunderland via water-taxi boat. Nonetheless, it was all worth it for what the cruise had offered me that evening - something I'd like to call "magical"!
Without the amazing crew (Francisco, Elvis, Ana... last but not least - Dannie) who shows the love and dedication to their jobs and to the tourists' experience, this would just be another cruise from Cabo I'd forget about instantly.
With them I've learned so much (despite the explosion of happiness in my brain as on-going tequila shots keep coming my way) about the history of El Arco, the 1800 classic wooden boat , manually manuvered headsail, mainsail, mast and boom...
What will be keeping me coming back to Cabo will not be the fancy resort I paid for, but the warmness of the people of Cabo who never hesitate to show me a good time, to teach me a little about how simple life could be with contagious smiles and love.
Until next time, mi amigos!

Visited June 2013