“Service and friendly staff at a relaxing CaBo Pacific location”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 20 November 2011

We have been coming here for 7 years as both a hotel guest and timeshare owner. Overall the staff at this facility are very friendly and service oriented. I was particularly impressed by three individuals on this latest trip. The first was in charge of our pool food service etc for 7 of the 8 days at this resort. His name is Daniel Porras. You could tell he loved his job. He not only was service oriented. he had a great memory and you could tell he also had an eye for generating business at the pool. Everyone in Daniels area thought they were in the VIP area and i am sure he benefitted with better than average tips.

Another person who probably never gets mentioned is the man in charge of cleaning and maintaining the pool every day. ( I saw him each day As I am an early swimmer.) Pablo at the main pool worked hard with attention to detail yet still time every day for the friendly Buenos Dias, a smile and he recognized that people might want to use the pool early.

Luis at the front desk also appeared very interested in going the extra mile.

The overall ambiance of this resort and time share is relaxing with some fun encouraged at the pool. I am a little concerned however that a recent drive to sell all inclusive will change the environment in a way that I would not want to bring my grand children. So far the mix of only 10 % of small children to mature adults works great.

Room Tip: most rooms have an ocean view and there are many pools to choose from from the main pool with addito...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank greg I
Write a ReviewReviews (9,767)

Reviewed 20 November 2011

We have stayed at PB Sunset Beach five times, both with our kids and just as a couple. We have never been disappointed! Everyone is wonderfully friendly and professional. We have stayed in the Executive, the Super Executive, and the Monte Cristo villas. They have always been outstanding. Our kids have a blast. The bus makes it easy to get into town, but keeps Sunset Beach off the beaten path. The restaurants are outstanding and the poolside bars keep us happy all day long. We love going and hate leaving!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ron C
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This is our fifth year staying at Sunset Beach. We are an owner of two week in an Executive unit.
We bought the first unit at the resort, and our second week on e-bay for just $1500.00.

The units are top notch......

My only complaint is that they only have one adult pool, and every-time that I have been there, there are a few kids. Complaining seems to do no good.

Other than that :)

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room with a jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JeffHerman
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We love this resort. It was our fourth stay. We have a one-bedroom time-share.here and wouldn't swap this one for a week anywhere else. Spectacular views, total relaxation, good food and consistently great staff.Housekeeping had a bit of a hard time keeping up with towels but were quick to deliver whatever we recquired.

This time, we were hosting another couple who slept in the main living area, The pull-out bed was even more comfortable than our beds in the bedroom suite.

Our only complaint: As a time-share "owner", we don't have access to specific locations when we schedule our stay. We were put in the upper section, which we don't like and asked to be moved. Get ready for an argument here. We spent a day wandering around while they juggled rooms (not available after all, etc.) finally being placed in something closer to amenities. Not so efficient or just hoping we'd give it up?.......I don't know.

A great stay, nonetheless!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Generally, I have loved our stays at PBSunset Beach. The views are gorgeous, the rooms ample and well appointed and the pools delightful and varied. However, possibly due to staff turnover or reductions(?), the service has slipped and is slower and worse in quality and this is nowhere more evident than in the Bistro, which is the resturant which, due to its comparatively moderate prices (with the other resturants on site) and an menu which can satisfy children and adults , is the most popular and patronized. We had a lovely breakfast there and a nice lunch but dinners were awful . The first time, a past favorite dish was ordered and found to be, instead of memorably good, to have been rendered in a version that was soggy and heavy (Chile rellano..which in a previous year had been wonderful .....) To have this Mexican dish so terribly prepared and served at the Bistro was such a shock.. The waiter came to me and asked me how I liked it. Reluctantly, I told him. He rushed off and brought over another man who asked me again. This may been a supervising chef. I told him. He argued with me!!! A third man was brought to the table. I tried to describe what was wrong with the dish which I had had but a portion of . I felt embarassed at having to attempt to defend not liking a dish which up until THAT version had been a longtime favorite of mine and had in fact been excellent at the Bistro on our last trip.. Clearly, these men acted as if I were a trouble maker!
I thought this incident was a fluke.
The second time, three of four diners in our party found their dinners among the worst they had eaten in Cabo.! I ordered a salad that my husband had liked at lunch and I had sampled. The salad which I was served did not match the one he had been served and did not even match the menu description (accurately reflected when served to my husband!). Obviously, it was prepared by a different person and with an inferior result but was hungry and shrugged off the differences. It was mortifying to see our guests struggle with trying to get thru their dinners and overcome their dismay over them and was also my husband's turn to be shocked at his dinner. His was a seafood dish but it was WAY oversalted and the creme sauce resembled nothing so much as a warm condensed campbell soup. One guest had the "jalisco chicken which was overcooked and dry. Unfortunately, we were again asked how we liked our dinners. I said nothing but it was clear from the other three that all was not satisfactory. This time, I just left with the female guest and left the discussions to my husband and our male guest. My husband afterwards, said they offered him 10% off the meal which my husband simply waved off as an insult. We were in no way "angling" for money back but were registering our complaint in hopes they would take the feedback and improve. After all, we have been going to this resort for years and were not expecting such poor quality meals. Unfortunately their way of handling feedback revealed another slippage in committment to good customer relations which I would not have expected here. Again, I fault a change in staffing...including perhaps management at the Bistro for this.
I did not see favorite waiters, or bell boys from prior years so I wonder if there was a significant turnover of personnel.
There is mention of PB resorts going to an "all inclusive option" whereby meals would be included in the price of one's stay. Clearly, if our experience is any indication of a trend in food service and meal quality, this is a choice to be avoided by travelers. There are many wonderful resturants in Cabo San Lucas .... In fairness, this trip we did not eat at La Nao (another resturant at PB Sunset) which was great last year.
Service pool-side has also slipped. The waiters are cheerful but one has to hunt them down to pay a bill and a number of times, they failed to return with ordered drinks (but , fortunately did not bill us for drinks we never received!) Another odd occurance: the poolside towel service inexplicably ran out of towels, leaving patrons unwilling to enter the pool unless they brought their towels down from their rooms. This shortage lasted hours and affected at least two pools the same day into the early evening. Guests were seen raiding the dirty towel pile at one pool.

High speed internet may be had in your room but the cost is $16 per day (the discounted service system does not work yet) and the internet connection comes and goes. One can still use one's laptop near the Manila Bar near the main pool for free and it is actually more reliable than the in-room connection.
I like this resort but due to the slippage in service which should be attended to by a historically attentive management (which impressed me in the past), I must rate it less than previous years and hope it gets its mojo back.

Room Tip: Consider how much walking/stair climbing you are comfortable with when picking a location. The carts...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank WhiteOwlOregon
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Everything about Sunset Beach is 1st class. Great views of the Pacific from every room. Staff excellent. Restaurants very good and prices are reasonable. Several (5?) pools to chose from. We have stayed at several resorts in the Cabo San Lucas area over the years and we like this resort the most.
Although not right in town, it only takes a few minutes for a $10 taxi ride to downtown. Sunset Beach also offers an hourly bus shuttle to their Rose resort on Medano Beach for those who want to go close to downtown or Medano's swimming Beach.
The only suggestions I could give for improvement are not allowing guests to "reserve" lounges around the pools and the resort really needs to implement a towel card policy. Some inconsiderate guests leave their things on the lounges first thing in the morning then leave for hours at a time. In the meanwhile, as the day goes on, other guests can not find places to stay by the pool. And I saw several guests take 3 towels from the towel cabana and then there were no towels left for other guests who arrived later.
Other than that Sunset Beach is a beautiful resort that excels in every way.

Room Tip: Every room is excellent. Just depends if you want to closer to the beach or higher for a better vie...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mwc5881
Reviewed 17 November 2011

This was our second trip to Cabo and it was just as nice as last time. This was our first time at PPSB ant it is a very quiet and relaxing place. The views from our room were fantastic as we were able to see beautiful sunsets every night. We had a 2 room suite with a large living and kitchen space. The rooms as well as the grounds of this hotel are spotless. This hotel is built on a large hill so if you get a room high up you will have to walk to pools, etc. or use the golf carts. If I return I will get a room with a pool in front for convenience. The timeshare meeting was low key but be prepared to waste about 2+ hours and you will get some money to spend on the property.

If you want more pampering take the shuttle over to the Pacifica which is right on the beach (adults only). It is much smaller and the service is excellent.

We went on an RCI week but they limit this to a stay every 4 years. Seems silly for the months of Oct and Nov when they aren't even 50% occupied. I would return more often if they lifted this restriction.

Room Tip: Get a room which has a pool in front of the building. Corner suites have private jacuzzi on the bal...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple