“Beyond your Expectations”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We actually purchased a Time-share after our third visit to this wonderful resort. The property is immaculate. There are many suite buildings down on the ocean and many more scaling the side of the cliff. There are three pools including a sky pool at the top of a cliff. Various restaurants on the property are a foodie's dream. La Frieda is our favorite. Another great feature is the buses that run from all three Pueblo Bonito properties. You can stay at either the Rose, Blanco, Sunset Beach or Pacifica. The Sunset Beach and Pacifica are on the Pacific side, therefore no ocean swimming. However the Rose and Blanco are on the Sea of Cortez with areas for ocean swimming. Our jr. executive suite was upgraded to one with a hot tub on the huge lanai. The suite was kept pristine and accommodations all three years have been superb so I'm not sure what others are seeing that leads them to believe it is "deteriorating". Go, enjoy your vacation and plan on wanting to go back!

Room Tip: We like the Jr. Executive suites with hot tub on lanai and situated in the middle of the property
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank red-fmp

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've been coming to Cabo every year for quite a few years now. FIRST TIME HERE. This hotel is by far the most inconvenient. This is not like any of the other hotels I've stayed in. The hotel is so large that is is required to take a golf cart everywhere you go; you can't just walk to the pool or lobby from your room. The all inclusive is apparently new here and the service is lacking ( putting it mildly) the hotel is so overwhelmed with the amount people that they ran out of everything meaning bottled waters, food and golf carts. Sometimes having to wait up to 20 min just to go to your room from the pool. I wish I could just walk to my room myself but the hotel is located on a cliff and all the buildings are up steep hills and would probably be a 20 MIN walk in 100 degree heat. We tried to make the best of it but I know we will NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Nicki_Nazzal
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) and stay at a 2 bedroom presidential suite with a beautiful ocean view. We stay at SB every Thanksgiving week and enjoy the first-class accommodations every time. We've also stayed there during spring break. The weather has been great for us every time. We always come home with an awesome tan so bring your sunblock and hats!

Resort: Beautiful and large, Sunset Beach has a a beautiful lobby, lots of pools, and several restaurants to pick from. The grounds are always nice and maintained. They have nice spots that have various birds (flamingos, parrot, etc.) SB offers rides within it's resort via golf carts and house phones are plenty to call for a ride. If you have time, ask for a golf cart tour so that you can see all their pools, landcaping, etc. They have a beautiful chapel, great spa, and nice gym. They offer free wifi at the lobbies and other main areas. There is a small store to purchase some groceries and other basic items, but I would suggest stopping at Walmart, Costco or their local grocery store for water, bread, etc. The convenience items they offer in the room and at the resort stores are expensive, but available if you need it. They also have a cigar lounge--well decorated. As a guest, you can also ride the shuttle to their sister resorts-- Pacifica next door (adults only), or go to Medano Beach at Rose and Blanco. You can use the amenities (restaurants, spas, gym, etc.) at those places as well. If you want quiet, adult time, I recommend eating lunch or breakfast at Pacifica and staying at their pool and relaxing.

Rooms: We stay in the 2 bedroom suite and I would compare it to a 2 bedroom apartment. The kitchen has a fridge, microwave, stove/oven, coffee maker, toaster, blender, dishwasher. They also provide pots/pans and other basic kitchen items/gadgets enough for 8 people. We always bring our own favorite ground coffee. The master bedroom is large and the master bath is wonderful. The guest room has two beds and a nice bathroom as well. You can sleep 4 people in there. The living room has a pull-out couch (really fits one person comfortably, but can fit two if you like to cuddle). You can request a roll-away for a charge. Every room in the presidential suite has a beautiful view of the ocean. There is a nice patio with nice chairs/loungers if you'd like to eat or relax outside. We also had a jacuzi on our patio (not sure if they have it in all suites).

Beach: They have nice lounge chairs at the beach, but you cannot go in the water. We will usually ride the shuttle to the Rose if we want to be in the ocean. They offer food/drink service at the Rose & Blanco and you can give them your SB room number if you don't want to use cash. That will also be the place to deal with vendors on the beach and ride watercraft. One thing we like to do when we ride the shuttle to the Rose is walk along the beach to the ME resort. You can use their beach beds and towels if you order food and drinks there.

Pool: The main pool offers water aerobics, yoga, beach volleyball etc. Check the schedule for times. The main pool also has ceramic painting and other crafts. Their swim up bar is nice and the drink and food service at the pool is great. Check their schedule for happy hour drinks. The sky pool is also very nice and you have a great view of the sunset. There is a children's pool area next to the daycare. There is an adult-only pool area and various pools all over the resort with towel service at all spots.

Restaurants: Within the resorts, are lots of options at different price points. You should check the website for their listing. We have enjoyed them all. You can also eat at the local places and at the restaurants at other resorts as well. We always go to The Office on Medano Beach, The Trailerpark, Marisco's Mazatlan, Mango Deck, etc.

Nighlife: If you want to go to bars/nightclubs, there are plenty to choose from in downtown Cabo. For my age group (40s-50s) we enjoy Cabo Wabo for their live bands and fun atmosphere. Ask the lobby for suggestions.

Excursions: We've been going to Cabo for over 10 years and have done swimming with the dolphins, para-sailing, ATV, deep sea fishing, canopy tour, horseback riding etc. They've all been fun and most activities will take up your day. Plan only one a day if you must.

Shopping: There is a flea market if you want to haggle with the locals. It can be fun, but be respectful. They have a shopping mall with everything you could need. They also have high-end shops available.

Transportation: Although far from the airport (about 45 min), Sunset Beach is worth the drive. We always make advance reservations with Transcabo and charter a private van to the resort. We have taken the shuttle before, but if you have more than 4 people, it's actually more economical and takes less time to charter the van. If you plan accordingly, you could also ask them to stop at a grocery store so that you can purchase your water, bread, fruits, and other food items you will need. Via the shuttle, there's no telling how many stops the bus will take and you will be the last stop. We take a taxi back to the airport at the end of our vacation.

Service: PB has always provided us with great service and pleasant workers. We do tip the servers/waiters/housekeeping, etc. But they always offer great customer service. When in doubt, ask.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank cppineda
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My sis and brother in law experienced their first visit to Cabo with us (as time share owners), and we all had a great time. We had to wait quite some time to get in our suites, because there is seemingly no communication between the reservations and the front desk departments. I must admit that the front desk people seemed to be much more helpful on this visit than they have been in the past (obviously a good thing), and we were eventually located in the same area as our guests. We had booked additional days at the end of our initial reservation and were happy to be able to stay in the same room even though there was a difference in category. At times I do notice a marked difference between how men and women are treated in this country/city/resort.

We were so disappointed to learn that PB La Nao no longer offers a Caesar Salad prepared tableside! We were so looking forward to repeating that experience. As other guests have mentioned, the food quality does not seem to be as high as hit has been in the past, but it was okay in the restaurants and suite service.

Decor and technology could use some updating, as furniture was worn in a few respects, TVs were outdated, and internet available in the Manila Bar was sluggish. We had to borrow my sister's room's knife to sharpen ours so we could cut anything, had to repair our coffee maker to brew the next day, and clean out our pepper shaker that - oh, 'nuff said. Our housekeeper did a wonderful job each day cleaning and mopping - daily! - although I never did learn her name.

Yes, we look forward to our next stay even though I really get sick of either the shuttle or a $12 taxi fare into town.

Room Tip: ASK for the location you want! If you don't, how do you expect to get it? Pool, beach, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Twin2tx
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My husband and I just returned from Los Cabos and our last week was wonderful at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. We have vacationed with Pueblo Bonito resorts for 15 years with family and guests.
We elected the all-inclusive meal plan at Sunset Beach that we believe is the best offer on earth. Food, wine, drinks, and free travel to sister properties to enjoy the best of all three Pueblo Bonito restaurants. It was all excellent. Our servers were motivated with a little "tip" even though all tips and taxes were included. It is obvious that the staff is very dedicated to your vacation experience and many of the same servers have been on the property over 15 years. We were delighted that the management did not change the extraordinary menus to a lesser "buffet family plan" due to the new plan and that we enjoyed PB Sunset as we always have but with a 50% discount on food and drinks. We will do this again.
We loved our Super Presidential Suite...awesome!
My spa deep tissue massage, manicure and pedicure were excellent. I own a spa and have been in the biz over 30 years, and have high standards. The spa also offered an exceptional pre-paid 3 day supplement for $75 a day that you can not beat anywhere, especially at a resort property. I found the spa staff respectful and above standards and expectation in skill.
My guests and I loved the 12 noon water aerobics with Sahara. Was there 5 out of 7 days! Perfect to work out all the great food and drinks. The class is fun and entertaining.
We manage 2-weeks in Los Cabos as non-Spanish speaking Americans just fine. We have never felt any danger or dis-respect at any Pueblo Bonito property. Hey, "when in Rome", no one can expect that all resort personnel speak English. My guest and I got lost returning to our building from a walk, a friendly PBS maintenance worker, non-English speaking personally escorted us to our building with our sign language indicating our building number to him!
We actually enjoy the walks up and down the property, over to the Pacifica Hotel, and the beach. We steer clear of the danger of the Pacific waves but the walks are full of surprises, a managed sea turtle refuge, exotic beached fish, exotic rocks, a volleyball game, and from our room view we watched a marlin chase a school of fish! The cart drivers are prompt and super great but not necessary if you need a little cardio push throughout your stay. The property is beautiful!
The weather is always great, a little windy is to be expected year round. In over 15 years we have seen it rain in Los Cabos, one day! After all, who can control the weather, however, we have spent entire awful rainy vacation weeks in Florida, the Caribbean, and HAWAII!
We are returning to Los Cabos in January and June next year! I think that you will love it too at Pueblo Bonito Sunset, Rose or Blanco...

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountain below the Sky Pool are quieter and the views are magnificent. If you select an...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank MonaSpa
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I have noticed that this property seems to be cutting back immensely, many things are not to perfection as they always have been. this property was always to perfection in the past in every avenue. I know that the economy is partly to blame, but I feel like standards should be maintained.
I will start with the positves. The staff and waiters work so hard and always have a smile on their faces. Rooms are maintained really well, although I have noticed immense deterioration, such as a holes in my couch and paint work that needs to be done in the room. When one looks forward to your annual vacation this is just not acceptable..... cushions around table, do not feel pristine or clean. Stains on the cushions. My family would not even sit on them. I feel as if the food has really deteriorated at the buffets, definitely not as premium as in the past.
The grounds are exceptionally beautiful and very well kept as are the swimming pools
Cart service is exceptionally efficient, which is essential for getting around the large resort.
Spa services are exceptional, especially Alicany, her massages are fantastic.
The concierge department is my biggest problem. I feel like they do not give honest advice and send you to places and establishments that benefit them, perhaps commission, and not neseccarily the best place. I feel that I personally could not ask their advice and get an honest opinion, this seems to be the consensus speaking to other people at the pool.
In previous years a concierge who ran the concierge by the name of Gallaleo Gvega was incredibly efficient and made all the difference in leading their team. I am not sure where he is now, but I know that the concierge department is not nearly the same without his direction. The concierges feel the same, as they alluded this to me. What a shame. Wherever you are Gallaleo, wish you were back at this department.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank sanmerle
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed here a week because of an American Express promo from last year which gave us a free stay. We were more than pleased at the quality of the Pueblo Bonito. The room was comfortable, spacious and quiet. The nearby small pool was great, with excellent food and drinks. We found the all-inclusive meal plan a great value. There were lots of perks available for going to a sales presentation, which was not too high-pressure. We'll certainly be going back again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple