“Beautiful, just what I expected!”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 14 May 2008

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Pueblo Sunset resort. Upon arrival to our room we knew that we had made the right decision. We were in an executive suite which was very spacious and had a very nice balcony. The accomodations were luxurious. My only complaint about the room was that the bed was hard and uncomfortable.

Overall the resort has everything you need. There were 3 restaurants and 4 pools. The gas powered golf carts I had heard about to transport you up the mountain were in abundance and easy to find. I did not find them noisy from our room, but we were in bldg. 20 which was up higher near the sky pool. The beach was nice and we were already aware that we could not get in the ocean, so it did not bother us. We walked the beach and were never harrassed by anyone (guards, etc.)

We dined poolside, at the Bistro and La Nao. The Bistro was my favorite. The calamari and wood fired pizzas were delicious and very reasonable. We had the buffet twice at la Nao and it was great too. We did venture into town for dinner once at Alexanders at the Marina...not bad on prices and the view was nice. We also did a Sunset Cruise and Snorkeling trip with Sunrider. These were both very nice with drinks plentiful and a mexican buffet. The food was really good and entertainment on the sunset cruise was fun. Both trips took you by the Arch and lovers beach and divorce beach.

We did the timeshare presentation at Pueblo Sunset because we had heard it was not alot of pressure and you get nice vouchers to use at the resort. It took about 1 1/2 hours and we got some good infomation on how timeshares work. We did not buy and were never hassled then or again during our stay. We did hear some people talking about doing them other places (i.e. The Mayan resort) and having a horrible experience and not even getting their vouchers at the end of 4 hours or so. We received $200 for food and drink, $100 spa credit and 2 tickets on the sunset cruise for doing the Sunset presentation. It was well worth it and not alot of hassle.

I definately would go back and stay again. The quality of this resort ranks up there in my books. Everyone was very courteous and willing to please.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jensengirl
Write a ReviewReviews (10,126)

Reviewed 12 May 2008

We're timeshare owners at PBSB and this is the first time we used it. We purchased another week because we know that 1 week just isn't long enough to relax and do all the things you want to do. The property is beautiful and the service very good. I wasn't completely satisfied with our room (Bldg. 22) because, although we had a view of the ocean, we also looked out our balcony on the roofs of the lobby area and bus parking lot. I had asked for a room not too high, but my request was ignored. Next time I will try harder. Also, we were never able to make a local call from the room. Notified front desk, but it wasn't resolved. It didn't matter that much. But, the gym, spa, pools, staff, everything else were top notch. We went to the owners lunch where we were presented with a $50 certificate to be used at checkout. However after being there 2 weeks and the rush that goes into packing and leaving, I forgot to give the front desk our certificate. I called to ask if I could mail it to them and receive a credit but I was refused. They said I could use it next year, however, we only own a week every 2 years and I was told that wouldn't fly. He said I could try customer service but when I asked for the number, he said he didn't have it. I'm very disappointed at the way this was handled. I really thought that, beings owners and all, we would be given some consideration. After all, we've invested quite a bit of our money into this property and to withhold $50 seems petty.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2008

The ride from the airport to Sunset is not short and I would make sure you have reserved this transportation in advance (Grayline) is who we used. The driver will cram as many people in the van as possible. I literally had one cheek on and one off the bench seat in the back. The drive to Sunset is about 35 - 40 minutes. Once you arrive at the resort, check in is 4pm (we arrived at 1:00pm). I recommend getting out your bathing suit, checking your luggage at the front desk, and going directly to one of the pools and start your vacation. We did not know you could do this (I found this out from someone else the second to the last day). The front desk does not make any attempt to let you know this service is available. They were quick to tell us that the King room we reserved would not be available, and that we would have to check back the next day to move rooms if one became available. So the trip did not start off well. And got worse. Once we finally got to our non King room, the view was AMAZING!!! Just beautiful. So we quickly got on our bathing suits and went out to the closest pool so we could begin our vacation.......4:45 pm. We kept seeing the server bringing people their drink tabs and just ignoring us completely. They were closing the pool bar at 5:00pm. However the local channel says the pool bars are open til 7:00pm. The front desk thinks they are open til 6:00pm. And this is just an example of lack of communication, and just overall confusion. I went to the breakfast demo for the "fractionals" ALONE, and was told I would not get my goodies until I brought back my significant other. I did, and there was some pressure selling, but we stood strong, and finally got the goodies. If you get one of the 2 for 1 activities, the "ladies" that print your certificates DO NOT TAKE VISA, so be sure you have cash. The previous reviewer did the same thing we did, KEEP ALL receipts that you charge to your room for food and drink. They give you $200 or so in certificates that are not used at the time of purchase, but rather at the end when you check out. I was so upset at everything else that happened so far, that I was really skeptical about this working. However, it did, and we were charged exactly what we spent. But is it worth being stressed the whole time wondering if they are going to do what they say?? The Sunset Cruise on SunRider was a disaster. This was one of the 2 for 1 activities we received from the breakfast timeshare thing. I called to reserve and was told they were all booked up and would have something in a few days. Well we would be gone in a few days, I told them this was unacceptable (I already paid $40) and they would have to find something, they put me on hold and said we were booked for the following evening. The front desk did not tell us where to go (what Pier), they say JUST TAKE A TAXI to the marina. DONT DO THIS. Take the free shuttle to downtown and then take a taxi to the Marina. If you take a Taxi from Sunset to Marina $20 ONE WAY. If you take the FREE shuttle downtown and then taxi to marina $4. And there again, is the hotel giving you bad information. I spent most of the time getting bad information. Oh yeah and they don't tell you this either, you need a ticket for the FREE bus shuttle!!! I did not know this and we were left behind for another whole hour! Taxi drivers do not want pesos - they say they don't have change for it???? I still don't know what that is about. We even went to a restaurant in the marina where the guy said they did not have change for pesos???? We paid with Visa. As for the carts and the walking. We are both very active people, and the first day of walking because the cart drivers didn't seem to want to give rides, my calf muscles locked!!!! For some reason, we were not able to get cart people to stop for us. So we walked most of our time there. My calf muscles did not return to normal until we got home. THE BEST thing about this resort are the views everywhere and the staff at La Frida and The Nao. The regular hotel staff sucks. Housekeeping was fine. The smells were only after they watered, but it didn't last long at all. And I think it is the fertilizer they throw down, not sewage water. I found it strange that we had a worker staying in the room next to us, so we could hear his two way radio all hours of the day and night. I am not sure if I will go back to this resort. I did not really relax at all because I felt I was working so hard to get information, and mis-information at that!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2008

Just returned, April 26-May 3rd. Fabulous trip for our family group of 6 (two suites) . Gorgeous resort. I've been following reviews for almost a year and here are my comments regarding negative reviews: first comment: it's a desert and is not tropical!! can't swim in the ocean but who cares with the gorgeous beach and pools; carts: great, and fun, the drivers were able to answer questions and were very friendly; Flowers: someone said "no flowers"; must have been somewhere else; walking: easy to do if in shape; don't have to, and some of our group did not; "stench" from landscaping: noticed an odor only in a.m. when sprinklers on, not bad and good that sewage is being reclycled; bug bites: heard a mosquito now and then, no bug bites; guards on beach: none; except did see one courteously approach someone climbing on rocks next to owner's home; surf is dangerous and warnings are needed; food: good, expensive but not for a resort; every staff person was courteous and friendly; 1 bedroom "executive" suite was large -- note, sofa bed pulls out and is a "free standng" bed, very comfy; great views: Villa 18, perfect, with our own pools--we preferred them to the beach pool; must go to Pacifica for the shrimp tacos, out of this world; hot water: none, one morning, fixed in one-half hour; cashier: made one mistake initially as we had four separate bills but corrected it very courteously; and finally, many people wrote, "not good for people with disabilities": we had 2 people with restrictions, could walk a few steps, with elevators and carts they were fine; timeshare: approached only once when we arrived, maybe because we were always in a group of 6, and once in town--just said we weren't interested. In town: the Office always my favorite, and snorkeling trip- (snorkeling not great but the trip is-I did Pez Gato-fun, and great views).

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank NEP13
Reviewed 3 May 2008

Absolutely one of the most gorgeous properties I have been to in Mexico. The landscaping is impeccable, the views are great, and the place was extremely clean.

So why two stars? Without going into too much detail, staying at Pueblo Bonito Sunset is like staying at a Four Season's run by Red Roof Inn employees.

A few tips:
1. SAVE all of your receipts. Upon check-in, there were several people ahead of us complaining about their room charges. When we went to check out, several staff members decided to give themselves additional tips on room-service charges. Thankfully I kept my receipts to prove we did not leave ADDITIONAL tips.
2. The "courtesy" shuttle does NOT take you to downtown - it takes you to another resort and then it's about a 10 minute walk to downtown.
3. Everyone from the front desk clerk, to the bartenders, to the towel boy will try to talk you into buying a time-share - be prepared for a hard-sell the WHOLE time you are there.
4. Several of the concierges were of NO HELP whatsoever - they just handed us a bunch of brochures and had no opinion or information for us
5. The resort is on the side of a mountain and only half of the resort is accessible by steep stairways - otherwise, you have to wait for "carts" to pick you up - which meant adding 10-15 minutes to your schedule whenever you needed to go someplace
6. The people working at Pueblo Bonito Sunset were either very helpful and friendly, or they could not care less and actually seemed pissed that we had requests.

Again, one of the most beautiful resorts I have been to in Mexico - but the problems were constant, we were constantly being pitched into buying things, and the service was just horrid. It's a shame that I cannot recommend such a great property.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drtymrtini
Reviewed 29 April 2008

pueblo bonito sunset beach april 21-28 2008
this place was absolutley killer!!!! the reviews and pictures of other travelers simply did not do it justice! i was amazed at how huge it was! the room was so nice! way better than i had expected. we stayed in a 1 bdrm unit. we booked through RCI and the description of the room said partial kitchen and 1 bathroom. we already knew it would have a sofa sleeper and 2 beds in the one room, however we were just blown away! the kitchen was big! not a partial in my opinion. and there were 2 bathrooms! each were so big! with beautiful tile showers and bath. the sofa sleeper was just fine. not the crickety thing that i had pictured! the views were AMAZING! i mean just beautiful!!!
we were in the highest rooms up on the hill. villa 21. yes you need to take the golf carts. but oh my gosh i read some reviews about how people hated them. they were too noisy or too smelly or went too fast. well give me a break! who ever says these things i think would just be a big complainer in general.
i found the carts to be kinda fun. and the drivers were soo sweet! always happy. always! and they have fun working there. i can tell. its sorta funny how they speed around. and its just fun too.
the hills are not horrible as some reviews have said. they are well... steep hills! and that takes a little energy to walk up! no big deal. especially if you are moderatley in shape. there are walking trails and beautiful birds, fish to look at all along the way. you dont even need to be in the best shape to do it. its a great way to burn off all the chips and salsa. like i said my unit was on the highest villa and i ran the whole length down to the beach and back every morning. then walked it a few more times each day. no problem.
the sky pool is cool. the place for more adult or young adult crowd to hang and sip margaritas. although my kids played there in the pool without bothering anyone. watched a funny don won with a camera pick up on all the ladies. it was comical to watch. to the girl with the big floppy hat and hoop earings, did he finally leave you alone?
favorite pool was the main pool. cool games and activities. play bingo and win free drinks!
just one word of warning. if you attend the breakfast to listen to the timeshare they will give you $200.00 in vouchers to use at the end of your stay upon checkout to go towards your bill.( they use the whole bill it to your room thing at all bars and stores and restraunts.) we were very careful to keep track of how much we charged to our room as to not go above the $200.00.(the only way to take advantage of the free 200.00 is to use them toward charges. they dont give you cash, so for that reason. its worth it to charge) but the warning is this, the vouchers are only good toward drinks and food. NOT useable on store items or deli items or phone calls. so here we were using the room charge to get milk, chips, coffee, fruit, ice cream, stamps, room phone use. and we stopped at 200. knowing that we didnt want to be suprised at check out and owe more than 200. well when we did check out, there was still 100.00 left unused on the vouchers and we owed with our own money the $100.00 we thought we had covered. so here we were unable to get a refund and unable to go and use it up because we were checking out! uggg! we even had a light dinner the night before to save money, and to think we could have lived it up with the voucher. bummer bummer!!!!

free shuttle to rose: so cool. saves alot of money, we were on a budget with the kiddos! its about a 15 minute walk down the beach to town. go down the beach and cut over in between the "mango deck " and "the office" restraunts to avoid walking too far around the construction to get to town.
best ever food!!!!!! ever!!! if you want real mexican food i mean hand made tortillas and strong margaritas and for affordable price, go to "the sandbar" its on the walk down the beach from the rose. before you get to the highly expensive "office" restraunt.
if you hold out a little and work the front man a little you can get 2 free drinks out of it. say oh im not sure where i want to eat tonight, going to look around a little. then say how about 2 free margaritas if we stay? it will work!
most favorite part.....
a snorkeling excursion called the "sunrider adventure" $24.00 pp. remember this one! seriously the most fun for your money. i still cant believe what a great deal it was. they take you snorkeling at santa maria bay and you get all you can drink bar, soda for kids and then an all you can eat mexican buffet! the ride back is crazy games with shots etc. but what we did was way better! walk out on the front of the boat and sit/lay on the deck its quiet and the breeze and the sun and the view of the coast is just one of the best memories for me. i drank alot dont get me wrong. it was just a more relaxing end to a perfect excursion. any questions feel free to email em to me

Stayed: April 2008
10  Thank spydergrl207
Reviewed 20 April 2008

I would like to start off by saying that during the past year my family and I have visited 10 different countries. We have had the opportunity to stay at many different resorts and Bed and Breakfasts, and the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach ranks among the very best. We have two kids, ages 8 and 6, and they did not want to come home. The resort itself is quite luxurious. I had read a comparison to The Ritz Carlton, or Four Seasons and I would definitely agree with these reviews. We had a Master Suite which consisted of a kitchen (with a full size fridge, a two burner stove, a microwave, toaster, and coffee maker), living room with T.V. and full bath. The seperate bed room had two queen size beds, a sitting area, and another full size bathroom with a whirpool tub. I would estimate the overall square footage to be around 1400-1500. It also had a balcony that featured gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean and the surrounding gardens. The floors were marble and the countertops were granite, first class quality all the way. Overall this resort was fabulous, but I'll try to point out a few things that will hopefully help those that are traveling with young children:

The resort is spread out over many acres, with the various buildings connected by paths that are serviced by large golf carts (holding 7 people max.). The pathways are steep, and quite narrow so walking up and down the hills, while it can be done, tended to be tedious with small children. We originally were given a room in building 22, which was at the very top of the property (just under the sky pool). This building offered spectacular views, but in our opinion was too far from the things that we use the most; the large, main pool and the beach. After two nights in this building, we moved to building 33, which was located just above the main pool and was within walking distance to the pool, beach, and 1 of the 2 small grocery stores. If you can get one of these buildings I would recommend these the most for those staying with kids: building 1, 2, 33, 34, 3, 4, 8, 9. The best of these being 2, 33, 3, or 8.

We initially had decided not to go to the timeshare presentation even though we had heard that it was low pressure and only 90 minutes for lots of incentives (here's what they offer: $200 dining credit good for food and beverages at any Pueblo Bonito, and a $100 spa credit). We felt that are time was better spent doing the family outings. After eating dinner our first night in The Bistro, I was approached by a hotel employee who asked how we liked our dinner (it was just O.K.). I told him and he asked if we had signed up for the presentation, because they give a $200 dining voucher. I told him that we had chosen not to because we didn't want our kids to have to sit though it. He said that if we changed our minds, he would give us some additional gifts. I asked him what some of the options were and he produced a long list of items (dining credits downtown, horseback riding on the beach, atv's, sunset cruises, etc.). I told him that if we were going to do it, there would have to be an incentive for my children, such as swimming with the dolphins. He called his manager, and said that we could have two Dolphin Kids Adventures at Cabo Dolphins. So to make a long story short, we got the $200 dining credit, not $100, but $200 spa credit, and two Dolphin Kids Adventures (worth $180). Not too bad. The presentation was supposed to last for 90 minutes, but it was actually about 3 hours long (including breakfast). They had a seperate room where my kids played on the XBOX 360 after breakfast, but they came with us on the tour of the property, which included the Montecristo Estates (3 bedroom homes on the hillside). All in all, I would do it again, even though it was a bit long and my kids were bored, because of the amount of gifts that we received (and by the way, we did not buy a timeshare).

Something else that might be helpful for those with kids; stop off at Walmart (yes Walmart in Cabo) to get groceries on the way to the hotel from the airport if you can. The grocery store at the hotel is very expensive! Also, we used Transcabo for our shuttle service (booked online), which cost $108 round trip for 2 adults and 2 kids. This was the best deal I found and it turned out to be even better because we actually had a semi-private shuttle in a Cadillac Escalade to and from the hotel (normally service is in a 16 passenger van), but since the Sunset Beach is located so far from the other resorts we got the Escalade with one other couple (max is 6 plus the driver). I would definitely use Transcabo again.

I hope you found this review helpful, and enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family