“Second trip to Sunset Beach”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My family (Mom & Dad, Sister & her husband and their 2 kids, and my husband) and I spent a wonderful week at Sunset Beach in one of the Penthouses (a 3 bedroom, 3 bath, 2 floor unit).

I'll get the negatives out of the way quickly. It took a long time to get the water hot. There were just enough towels for the number of people (received more upon request). No coffee pot (I didn't care but Mom & Sis did). Glass panels were missing from around the hot tub on our balcony (nice for the view, but dangerous with a 7 & 9 year-old). Check-in & -out take too long.

Everything else was great!

I've read other reviews that mention cockroaches. Never saw one. Not inside. Not outside. No "signs" they had been around.

The grounds and pools are well maintained. Cesar at the pool by unit 17 is a great server. Patient with the kids, around when needed but not hovering (he wouldn’t have time! That pool is busy), and always in a good mood (even when slammed).

Some of the food is better than other, of course, but I wouldn't say anything was bad or below average. And some was outstanding, like the Champagne Brunch Sunday morning. A little bit of everything and wonderful chilaquiles!

Yes, the resort is spread out and carts are the best way to get around, but they come quickly and regularly and the kids thought they were a blast.

There is no swimming in the ocean, but the beach is great for walking and there are no people trying to sell trinkets.

We will definitely return to Sunset Beach.

1  Thank stpaulsc
Write a ReviewReviews (9,917)

Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is a really nice resort. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are well kept and appointed. The gym is small and the check-in process is very slow. Food prices and drink prices are typical resort. travel into Cabo and eat off the beaten path, like at In Victa! Great food. The pools are great, go to the one on the furtherst right side of the property if you want to get a chair in the afternoon. The beach is beautiful, but no swimming. They have over sold the resort and make you lots of promises about being able to reserve a specific room or building a year in advance. You can't. Overall, it's a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the beach to avoid lots of trips up the mountain side on gas carts.
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was my second trip to Cabo San Lucas and my husband's and children’s first time. Everything was wonderful. From the service when you walked into the lobby to the cart drivers and all the servers throughout the resort (especially Cesar Ortiz at pool 17), it was all amazing. The rooms are spacious and the beds are ultra comfortable. The food and drinks were fresh and very delicious in all of the restaurants and at poolside. My daughter could not get enough of the Fish tacos and my husband and I ate their Red and Green Chilaquiles whenever we had a chance. The view and surrounding area was gorgeous and meticulously groomed. I WILL be going back to Sunset Beach!

Room Tip: I personally don’t think there is a bad room, they all face the ocean.
7  Thank Alena P
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This place is beautiful and is built on the side of a mountain facing the Pacific Ocean. If you like to walk, you will get a good workout going up and down the hills. But you could always get a ride on their fleet of golf cart shuttles. We opted to do the all inclusive and it was worth it, the food was expensive. Just had to leave a tip for the service. The staff at the pool was awesome, Monserrat & Jiho lead the water arobics that my wife enjoyed every morning. If you want to relax and get pampered by the staff (Alfonso) this is the place to go. It is about 2 miles from downtown, so you have to take their free shuttle bus to the sister hotel in town and then you can walk around downtown and by the Marina.

6  Thank brent c
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Brent,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, we feel very happy to hear you had a fun and wonderful time at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Hope to welcome you for the second time soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The Sky Pool Bar at Sunset Beach is paradise at the top of the world! Roberto and his crew of Carlos, Julio, Xenon, Freddie, Jesus and the rest of the fellas made our vacation wonderful! The crew were all attentive, fun and helpful. They made sure we were taken care of every day of our trip! They helped other groups celebrate birthdays, last days of trips and even get La Frida reservations for a party of 10. The crew made the Sky pool so much fun. Greeted by name, drink of choice remembered, delicious food, and endless smiles of memories made. The best, most fun crew at the resort!!

Room Tip: Eighth floor in Building 23 was perfect to get to the Sky pool easily
6  Thank Jennifer J

Dear Jennifer,

We truly appreciate your kind remarks and the time you took to review us, it is great to hear you had an amazing time at the Sky Pool with all the staff members! We'll make sure to pass your recognition to everyone you mentioned above. We really hope to welcome you anytime soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and I are owners at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and we just returned from a one week vacation. Let me first say how much I love the layout of the resort and the staff has always been polite, competent, accommodating and efficient. The grounds are kept beautiful and the rooms and restaurants are very clean and the food was very good everywhere we ate. We love to be able to view the whales from our balcony. With all those positives being said, let me mention the aspects of our visit that were less than acceptable. .
1. 1.5 hour check-in and then put in a room that was already occupied
2. The room we were finally assigned to was a step down from what we own. I was told they didn’t have any Executive Suites available.
3. We purchased the All-Inclusive that was to include free Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi was horrible.
4. When I purchased the A-I, (4 months prior) I was told that I would receive $150.00 in coupons that I could use at the resort. The front desk told me the coupons had been discontinued, but after I told them that was part of the package, the clerk printed some coupons for me, but so place would take them.
5. There was no coffee pot in the room, so we ordered room service with a pot of coffee. The pot of coffee came with no lid, just a piece of plastic wrap. The food was cold and no microwave in the room.
6. Word to the wise, the “Cigar Bar” off the lobby is a place to smoke. There is no bar and if there were any cigars to purchase, no one works there. You have to go to the Lobby Bar to get a drink and they have a few cigars available.
7. The buses that pick you up for excursions don’t pick you up at the lobby anymore. You need to go the Sunrise Coffee shop and most people will want to take the shuttle. They advertise a shopping mall all around the coffee shop. They are all vacant buildings.
8. My most annoying portion of the visit is the Owner’s meeting aka “Let Me Sell You Something New”. There was no owner’s update after I told them we were not purchasing anything. The sales person came to the meeting with a contract already made out for us. Very friendly, personably people until they get the message “no” and then they were down right rude. I’ll never go to another one.
We will go back again because what we love the place overshadows the lack of management concern/care for their customers.

3  Thank Padookahead
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I just have to thank a few people helping us make our Girls Trip unforgettable. HORACIO at pool 17 and the Sky pool was so hospitable. He was very attentive and made sure we were taken care of every day of our trip. He went above and beyond, even calling the pharmacy and offering to have somebody go offsite to get us something for our upset stomachs. His customer service was outstanding and you have a great employee in Horacio. Jorge one of the drivers was also amazing. I lost my phone the first night of our trip and the front desk found it but he came by our room the next day just to make sure I had it back. He was very friendly, as were all the drivers. Alejandra at Fridas was super accommodating and assisted us in making, changing and canceling our reservations...we're kind of indecisive! Israel at the front desk was awesome as well. The customer service at this resort is outstanding!

Onto the resort itself: This resort is absolutely breathtaking. It's like a small city and every inch of it is beautiful. The pools were all great but we liked pool 17 (kiddie pool!) the best. We could always find a seat, the staff there even reserved them for us when asked. The drinks were great and everyone was super friendly. The room we originally reserved was a junior suite. We were upgraded to a persidential suite for our first night complimentary and it was so gorgeous that we decided to upgrade for the rest of our trip. We ended up getting a super executive presidential suite and just the patio was bigger than the downstairs of my home. I reccommed paying the extra bucks and staying in one of these, it was soooo worth it! Frida's was our favorite restaurant by far but all were amazing, with the exception of Sunsets and Sushi. This one wasn't bad, it was just OK. We opted for the All Inclusive plan and half of the time we ordered room service and ate on our patio while watching the schools of whales spout. AWESOME! The spa was so great that we went back twice and it really helped us relax. Treat yourself to a massage because they do a phenomenal job. There is not one bad thing that I can say about this resort, I've been to cabo before and had a great time but this trip blew my last out of the water. We had planned some excursions but because we were having such a great time we ended up choosing to just stay at the resort, relaxing by the pool and I'm so glad we did.Thank you Sunset Beach for a truly spectacular vacation. I will definitely be returning with my family next year!!!

Room Tip: Stay in a presidential suite, it is so worth the money!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Gabi_Stuessy

Dear Gabi,

We feel flattered after reading such a nice and detailed review about Sunset Beach, we truly appreciate your kind remarks and taking the time for letting us know how much you liked it and how much fun you and your girlfriends had. It is great to hear you had time to enjoy all the facilities and all our restaurants. We'll make sure to pass your comments and recognition to every staff member you mentioned above.
We can't wait to welcome you and your family anytime soon!