“Great beach resort”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We visited the resort in early February and it's one of the best resorts I've ever been to. Sitting at one of the restaurants or pools and watching the whales off in the distance was amazing...not to mention the beautiful sunrises and sunsets. We also enjoyed getting to chat with Marcos Larumbe at the alberca principal! Getting to talk with nice people like him makes the trip extra special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank nschnick

Reviewed 7 April 2014

As a thank you for all the information and advice I’ve received from other travelers who have posted here, I feel obligated to share some insight and tips from our recent trip to PBSB. I will not rehash what many others have posted here, nor will I burden you with a complaint-ridden review… I’m generally a happy person and have very few complaints. What I will do is share some things that, had I known them ahead of time, would have made my trip already great trip even better. My wife and I went on a 10-year anniversary trip, sans-kids, for some peace and quiet, and that’s just what we found at PBSB. So, here goes:
1. Arriving at the airport: Book your travel ahead of time. If this is your 1st time to Cabo, know that there are 2 gauntlets of deception you must navigate through before getting to the people who you really need to talk to. As soon as you walk into the terminal from the plane, and you get your bags off the carousel, you go through a quick check and then walk through a set of double doors only to be greeted by timeshare sales people. Apparently the Cabo airport has these 2 rooms designated just for this purpose and if you don’t realize what’s happening, before you know it, you’re being sucked into a sales pitch for everything from zipline adventures to whale watching tours. Unless you like to spend your vacation time being “sold to” within 15 minutes of stepping foot onto Mexican soil, just smile politely and walk on by. They will insist that they are there to “help you”… the only thing that they can help you with is lightening your wallet and wasting your time. There are 2 rooms, so walk through 2 sets of doors and when you’re finally outside, that’s where the shuttle drivers representing the resorts will be. At the time of our arrival, the guys from Pueblo resorts were in light blue polos and khakis, and they were holding up a board for Cape Travel – that’s who runs the shared shuttle. Once we found them and found our name on the list, it was super easy. I gave them a $5 for helping out with all the bags and for getting us safely and quickly to our resort.
2. Free shuttle to PB Rose: You can get tickets for the shuttle from the valets at the main office and also from the clerk at Sunrise Coffee (go inside coffee shop). In order to ride the shuttle, everyone needs a ticket. Get your tickets the night before if you can, but don’t sweat it too much. You can always ride “standby” for any shuttle, but only if you have a ticket for one of the shuttles. We tried to get tickets the night before for 10 AM the next day, but were told the earliest shuttle that had availability was 1 PM. No big deal… get any ticket you can, get to Sunrise Coffee about quarter of the hour, and when the big bus pulls up and unloads, walk right up and stand alongside the bus by the door. Others will form a line with you, and as the driver collects tickets and boards all the people that have tickets for that time, the standby line will grow. We did this both times we went into town, and both times we got on the bus no problem. People will naturally get a ticket and then not show up or go on an early one, so there’s almost always room for everyone. But, you can’t get on unless you have a ticket. PS – same thing for the ride back from Rose – as soon as you get off, ask the valet there for return tickets (unless you plan to taxi it back).
3. Taxis: They are all big vans – some taxi union thing. The ride cost the same, regardless of how many people are in the van. So, if you’re travelling with a big group, it’s much easier and super cheap to just get a taxi where you want to go.
4. Cabo Adventures: Not going to review their tours, but they will pick you up in their own shared shuttle at Sunrise Coffee, but they will not bring you back, so we made a night of it on the town and took a taxi back to PBSB.
5. Free Wifi – Despite what all the signs around the main lobby say, or what you’ve read on their website, the ONLY spot on the resort that has free WIFI is Sunrise Coffee. Given that, we had it in our room ( you could tell the router in the kitchen was brand new), and it was very fast and reliable. We paid for it as we had to keep in touch with the kids, and didn’t want to trek to the coffee shop every day.
6. Checkin/Room Availability - We had a 1 BDR unit (they call this “Executive Suite”) – more than enough room for us, with 2 BA and big terrace with 2 entrances. What you didn’t know is that not all buildings have 1 BDR units, and not all 1 BDR units have King beds, some are double queens. I had figured out which areas of the resort I did not want to be in, and when I specifically requested certain buildings, I was told they did not have 1 BDR units. Whether or not that is true, I do not know. When I asked for a high building, high floor, we ended up on the 4th floor of building 20. It was perfect for us, and we did have a king bed.
7. Checkout – Give yourself an hour before the shuttle departs for the airport just to be on the safe side. (It took us 40 mins total) Keep in mind that at any given shuttle time slot, there may be 40-50 people trying to check out, and everyone wants to go over their bill line-by-line and dispute any suspect charges. I will admit that it’s easier to do this in Cabo than the following week once you’re already at home. However, they only had 2 girls checking people out, so the line got long fast. PBSB management, if you’re reading this, I’d suggest monitoring this and having flex staff that can jump behind the desk when it starts getting crazy. Just go to the grocery store and watch what happens when the lines get long – it’s not rocket science, just good customer service.
8. Walking vs Carts – We were at the very top of the resort, which meant a small hike to get to the beach every day. We’re also in our mid-30’s and in fairly good shape, so rather than go to the gym on vacation, we just walked it. It raised the heartrate and was good for us – all the complaining about the resort and the need for taking the carts… I just don’t get it. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I had made it out in my mind after reading other reviews. If you’re handicapped or extremely out of shape, then either wait for the cart (which was never very long) or pick a different resort.
9. All inclusive vs not – We try to eat healthy and try to stay in shape, so why come back from vacation weighing 10 pounds more? While I saw the convenience of having the AI wristband, PBSB is cashless at all bars and restaurants (not delis), so you have to charge it to your room, anyway. Even if I went with the AI, I would still carry ones with me for tips, which are not required but recommended to get good service. We only ate 2 lunches and 2 dinners away from the resort, otherwise, we bought our groceries at their store and ate lunch/dinner on property (including 1 night at La Frida). We didn’t stuff ourselves or drink to the point of getting drunk, and we made out about $400 ahead compared to if we would have done the AI. In speaking with another couple, if I had to do it over again, I may sit through the sales prez and ask for a discount on a 3 or 4 day AI package. They stayed for a week and did AI for the last 4 days @ $69/person/day. We skipped the sales prez and the AI, but no regrets.
10. Tipping – I think I had a realization on our trip that American service and tipping is different than in Mexico. In the US, we expect good customer service and then tip at the end of our dinner/tour/etc depending on how good it was. Learning from others, in Mexico I tipped first so that I would get good service – otherwise it was just average by American standards. If I went to the pool, I tipped the server as soon as he first came over, and got great service the whole day. By great, I mean he was quick with the first and asked me if I wanted a refill before I was done with my current drink. By average, I mean it took 10 minutes to get my first drink and I didn’t hear from him until I flagged him down 30 minutes after I had already finished my first drink. It’s a subtle cultural difference that kind of turned me off at first, but once I accepted it, it made my experience much more enjoyable. For reference, I gave cart drivers $2, $5 for luggage assistance, $10 at the pool bar when I was staying for the day, and I typically still tipped 15-20% on each dinner bill.
I sincerely hope this review proves helpful for others and hope you have a great trip to PBSB in Cabo!

Room Tip: Some 1 BDR have 2 Queens, some have 1 King.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
29  Thank bjtiv
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Nestled on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Pueblo Bonito Resort offers beautiful views from almost anywhere in the resort. One can find exhilaration, relaxation, and meditation.

Every room has a view weather it be of the ocean, the resort, or the new Jack Nicklaus golf course that is being built.

We really enjoyed the La Noy Restaurant. The breakfast buffet was wonderful.We were not very impressed with the Bistro Restaurant. Our food was cold and tasted much like cafeteria food. I must say the service there was very good. We really enjoyed the Lobby Bar. Our waitress Maria was absolutely wonderful. She was very knowledgeable on Tequilas and the wine that they served.

I would recommend the The all inclusive Meal Plan. Not only did it give you the advantage of having what you wanted when you wanted it, but let you enjoy several other restaurants at the sister Pueblo Bonito resorts at a savings over the normal costs.

We enjoyed a Super Presidential suite with a Jacuzzi tub on the deck. Our grand kids just loved that.

I would recommend going at other times of the year besides Spring Break.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visit Sunset Beach twice a year for last 7 years and it never disappoints.
Property is very well look after with great maintenance program and service outstanding in every food outlet.Our absolute favorite is Sky pool and not just because of the view but great team work of all the guys that work there.Carlos,Alfredo,Brender,Zenon,Jesus and Fredrico always make your experience memorable.They move fast,efficient and take care all your needs(reservations,informations etc.)It is true pleasure keep coming back.We also appreciate little changes in hotel entertainment which makes our stay more fun each time.
My only concern is the service at the from desk that sometime lacks in professionalism and shows some attitude.They get easily confuse especially if they dealing with reservations for multiple weeks and units.Some retraining would be recommended.We love all the housekeeping girls that make us feel at home (villa 23)Over all we appreciate the hole complex its service and versatility.
Will be back soon.

3  Thank DOROTA W
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a wonderful meal at the Bistro over looking the Pacific. Brizeiri Colin, the hostess, made our evening special by placing us at a table on a private balcony. Employees like her make vacationing a joy. JJ and Bob

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BobGump
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just returned from our 2014 Spring Breach trip to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. This was our third time at the resort and every time seems to get better. We own a 2 bedroom presidential suite and have two tween girls. There is plenty of room for all of us. The bedrooms are spacious, each with it's own huge bathroom. The master has a shower and a jacuzzi tub (that you can watch TV from - my favorite). The balcony/patio was ginormous with an outside table and chairs for all of us and two chez loungers. The kitchen has everything you need - fridge big enough for the week, dishwasher, micro and stove. We have heard great things about the all inclusive, but we have always stopped at the Mega on the way from the airport and stocked up on our way in.

The weather was tremendous and the views from the resort can't be beat. Sunset at the sky pool is a must at least once. Saw whales from our balcony several times during the week.

The fitness center is among the best we have ever seen at a resort. Everything from free weights, to machines, spin classes and treadmills and elipticals.

The resort is a 5 minute cab ride into town (about $10 or so for a couple). There is also a free shuttle that runs on the hour and takes you to the sister resort Rose on the beach. Get your reservations early though, especially for the first two of the day, because they fill up sometimes the day before.

The only glitch (every time) is the check in. They are friendly and courtious at the desk, but it just takes F O R E V E R. About 45 minutes this time. Never quite sure why. Just be prepared.

The staff was amazingly friendly everywhere.

We played tennis, pool volleyball and beach volleyball. The kids like to paint pottery by the pool - they also had make your own tiedye tshirts this trip also by the pool.

The resort is unbelievably beautiful and well kept. The lush greens and flowers are stunning and the grounds are just otherwise top notch.

We found some new favorites and returned to old favorites this trip in town. La Dolce is nice for italian (to mix it up a bit) but Salvatore's was even better. Huge portions and relatively inexensive. Only need one entre per adult they're so big. Get reservations - seat at 6:00 and 8:00. Taco Loco in front of Cabo Wabo is fantastic for street tacos - 4 tacos and a beer for $5. Gardenias has the best fish and shrimp tacos in town. It's a few blocks from Pueblo Bonito Rose. Solomon's landing is right on the marina and the fish is beyond compare (also get the guac). The Office is a must for happy hour - ceaser salad is best in town. Zipper's up towards San Jose is a sandy bar right on the beach and has good old American bar food with an amazing location on the sand. Tried surf lessons there as well and it was a blast for all of us.

We've seen most of the resorts in town and this one tops them all.

9  Thank Shooter03
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Went for a wedding and loved every minute of the resort. The hotel is outside of Cabo however they offer free shuttles to and from their sister hotels in town which allows the best of both worlds being semi-secluded and having the buzz of the town. Food, service and rooms were excellent - can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Very hilly if you are unable to walk try to find accommodation close to a pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends