“Great location, poor quality”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Oregon
“Great location, poor quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is a great facility in a beautiful location, but with a terrible business model. They are very aggressive in trying to sell timeshares, to the point of changing the rules after you buy. Consequently, the place is over-sold, making getting your choice of rooms or buildings impossible during high season. Many times despite having made reservations a year in advance, people arrive with no rooms available to them. Check-in is typically a fiasco. Their current marketing is aimed at their "all inclusive" plan. To make it more attractive, they have raised the price of their menu items. Food quality has deteriorated. And, since tips are included, service, both in the restaurants and especially at the pools has eroded significantly. Some things haven't changed since the facility opened. The housekeeping service has remained terrible.

If you want a predictable, no hassle vacation, this is not the place to go.

Room Tip: Don't bother trying to request a room--you will never get it, and it turns into a hassle every y...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank darell47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,481)
  • Korean first
Arlington Heights, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Ok, let me start with the good stuff:
1. The resort itself is beautiful and well-maintained. It breath-taking ocean views from every room. The resort is very clean and the landscaping is meticulous. The rooms are pretty sparsely furnished but clean and the beds are comfy.
2. La Frida Restaurant. We ate here one night, and the food there was excellent and the service was great. There is an upcharge of $25 if you were doing the all-inclusive and without the all-inclusive it would be about $100 per person with drinks, but it is worth it. Really good!
3. The free shuttle to the sister resort Pueblo Bonito Rose is really nice. From Rose it is about a 5-10 minute walk into the center of town where there is a lot of shopping and restaurants. You have to get your tickets in advance but it is free and a pretty nice service.
4. Omar, the waiter at the Ignacio pool and Alejandro, the waiter at the Sky pool, were awesome, super attentive and very nice.

Now for the not so good stuff:
1. The service and attitude of many of the staff was poor. The person who greeted us at the front desk was not friendly and the check-in process took nearly 40 minutes. Although we had booked two rooms at the same time and had requested rooms near each other months in advance when we checked in we were told that because we had a one bedroom and a studio there were no rooms of this combination near each other. We ended up on opposite ends of the resort and the resort is HUGE. I had the one bedroom and the room directly next to us was a studio, so I don't know why they couldn't give us rooms near one another. That was a huge disappointment and inconvenience. Also, on the way back, although we had paid in advance for transportation to the airport we were told the shuttle would not leave early enough to make our flight. We had to reserve a private taxi at a higher price but were told we would be given credit for the amount we had paid for the shuttle. So we booked a private taxi for 5:30 a.m. When we arrived there in the morning there was no taxi (apparenly they never scheduled it) and they refused to give us credit for the money we had paid for the shuttle. We were told we could call to request a refund on our shuttle ticket but not until after 9 a.m.
2. The food. We had the all-inclusive package and there are 4 restaurants on site, La Nao (a themed buffet where the theme changes nightly), La Frida (gourmet mexican), The Bistro (casual a la carte restaurant) and a sushi restaurant (Sunset & Sushi). You can also take the shuttle to the sister resort and eat at the restaurants there. The buffet at La Nao was terrible. The food was really bad and flavorless. We went to the Argentinian night and the Asian night there and were terribly disappointed both time. The food at the Bistro was pretty good although the menu is really limited. After a week of all-inclusive you get pretty tired of the options. Also, don't ever go there hungry. It usually took between 15-25 minutes for any one to come to our table to take our order and 30-45 minutes after that to receive our food. On three occasions we sat there so long with no one coming over that we had to get up and ask the hostess if they had forgotten about us. The food at Sunset & Sushi was good but the service again was awful. When we arrived for our reservation the restaurant was half empty but it still took the hostess 20 minutes to seat us and she made no apologies for the wait. Once we sat it again took an exceptionally long time for our waitress to come over and when she did she was not at all friendly. Also you need reservations everywhere and if you don't make them well in advance you won't get it. We had to make our entire week's reservations the day we arrived before we had even been to any of the restaurants to know what they had to offer.
3. The golf carts. As I mentioned earlier the resort is built into a mountainside so unless you're in pretty good physical condition walking around can be difficult because everywhere you go requires you to walk up some pretty steep inclines. Also, the layout of the resort is very confusing so you can easily get lost getting from one place to another. Luckily, the golf carts generally come pretty quickly when you call, although one two occasions they never came at all after we called twice. After 30 minuted we ended up just walking but I don't know what you would do if you were physically unable, I guess just keep waiting. Most of the golf cart drivers were all really rude and unfriendly and acted very annoyed to have to drive you around. Also, you are expected to tip for every ride so if you are depending on the golf carts to get around everywhere that can get very expensive.
4. The gym. I like to stick to my exercise routine while I am on vacation and even when staying at a Holiday Inn there is generally some sort of small gym. Pueblo Bonito advertises their great fitness facilities and I was excited to use them during my trip. I was shocked to find out on my first morning that there is $17 charge per person, per day to use the gym! 3 days of gym use would have cost more than my monthly gym membership at home! Ridiculous!
5. Not much to do. I think this would be a great place if you were looking to get away and just relax poolside. You cannot swim in the ocean here due to the strong undercurrent. There are really no activities unless you are at the Main Pool which is always very crowded and unless you get there at 8 am you won't find an available chair. When we visited the sister resort Rose there seemed to a be a lot more going on there and you can swim in the ocean there.

So all in all this was a disappointment for us. It is quite an expensive vacation and the standard of service to me was unacceptable. Hopefully this review is helpful to some of you in choosing the right resort.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views but I would recommend choosing a room that is near the main lobby and...
5 Thank Colleen R
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband, myself and 10 year old went from 2/15-2/21. We loved it. It was beautiful, peaceful and restful. That being said, service was a bit slow, for room service especially. So, you learn to work around it. If you happen to want breakfast in your room in the morning, order what you would like the night before for delivery at a certain time. Through the week we got to know who were the excellent, attentive waiters by the pool and we tried to set-up in their area.. If we were lucky enough. Of course, there is a no saving chairs policy, but no one listened to that as we discovered when we walked by the Sky Pool to see the sunrise at 6:30 AM, people were sneaking in and leaving there towels on chairs. You get around by golf carts which was handy, but occasionally you had to wait. The food was fine, drinks were good and I must say the people who stayed there for vacation were extremely nice. You did get asked to attend their time share presentation and were gifted with resort amenities to do so. You can't swim there but can go to Sunset Rosa via a shuttle if you would like. All in all, it was restful and it was just what we needed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is our third time at this resort and it never fails to amaze us. We had wonderful service at the pools and the cart drivers were very friendly and humerous. Our server, Pablo Cervantes, at the main pool on our last full day was wonderful. He would check on us and our little ones every time he passed by. He made it easy to overcome the last day blues. We would definitely recommend the all inclusive package. It saved us money and made the trip worry free. We will keep going back! It is very quiet at night, save for a few weddings on the weekends, and we loved listening to the waves crashing on the beach.......even from the highest room in the resort.

6 Thank mjpalensky
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed at the PB Sunset Beach in January. We had a good time but when I booked I bought the all inclusive package for one extra person. They told me no problem if you have to cancel we will refund your money. I have been trying for 3 months to get the refund for the $550.00 and every time I call they tell me they are working on it. It is extremely disappointing to see that they admit they owe me the money but they won't put it back on my card. You have to be very careful when they tell you something is "no problem" because they don't seem to honor what they tell you.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shelly M
Addison, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Very large resort! Not much for nightlife but has a few restaurants. The front desk staff was nice and the cart drivers were great! There were a few people that were very rude. I own a timeshare and they completely dismissed me when they asked me and my boyfriend some questions. I was approached by a different resort on the main beach and sat through their timeshare presentation and actually purchased it!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SFO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed at PBSB last week, in one of the 3BR 'penthouses', with two other couples. We booked through an owner (and got a stellar price for the room) and went with the all-inclusive option, which was definitely the thing to do.

The resort overall is nice. All the rooms have a great view (it looks like they do anyway) and the buildings are all pretty central to one pool or another. It's further away from town than I thouht when I looked at it on google maps, but we were able to use the shuttle without any problems. We did take a cab a couple of times, and really, while $14 for a cab is a lot, it doesn't feel so bad when you split it 6 ways. There are golf carts that can take you from place to place on the resort, but really it's not too bad to walk from place to place.

The pools are fine, though you need to know what to expect. The main pool is kind of a zoo, it fills up early, and gets loud. But lots of kids so if you want to let them run riot, that's the place. The sky pool is like a club, lots of teenagers taking pictures of themselves (occasionally topless) and whatnot, so if that's what you want, that's the place. We hung around the 'kids pool' (with a swim up bar, my kind of kiddy pool) and the pool near the sushi place and liked that a lot. One thing is that the pool and hottub filtration units do get overwhelmed by the amount of sunscreen, so there's occasionally scum floating around that will gross you out. I didn't get a rash, and neither did anyone in my party, so whatever. Just think of it as a public pool.

The food is fine. We got the all inclusive which made me think the food might be terrible, but at worst it was mediocre. None of us got sick from the food. The included wines were awful, but all the better to mix with Fanta for a perfect tinto de verano. Yum! And anyway, the cocktails were nice and strong so usually my palate was shot.

It was nice that booze was included in the all inclusive. That, plus the three 9,000 peso bills we ran up at the sushi place the times we went there (that we ended up paying 0 out of pocket for because of all inclusive) made it worthwhile. One thing is that you might want to bring your own sake if you like that, because they never had any at the sushi place. It would have been nice if they had.

Oh, one negative thing. I'd definitely say to stay away from the draft beer. The lines aren't clean. Stick with the cocktails and cans. I know cans suck, but it's better than drinking corrupted beer.

The beach isn't swimmable which kind of blows, but you can take the shuttle down to Rose if you want. We did that and it worked out well. You'll need to plan ahead a little to get a boarding pass though.

The people were really nice and friendly. The time share people were not as bad as they could have been. We did have one woman who approached us something like a dozen times over the course of three days (we were there for seven) but she'd go away once we told her that 'yes, we talked yesterday' and that we still weren't interested.

Two more things: one, this is kind of like the 'Wall-E' vacation spot. Everything is taken care of. It was not what I was used to, but it was fine. I feel like I could take my three year old here and it'd be fine (my friends brought their almost 2 year old as a proof of concept). Two, there are some issues around maintenance. Most of them are just little deferred maintenance items, but some speak to larger problems (take a look at the ceiling in the men's room for the 'kids pool' - the one that has a jacuzzi on top of it - to see what I mean). I would never buy a timeshare anywhere, because I just wouldn't, but if you're the kind of person who might be sure to ask them about the maintenance plan going forward - because while it still looks nice it looks like it could look really really run down in a few years if they don't step up a little bit.

All in all a good time! We'll be back!

3 Thank Jacob R