“Nice Place w/ Beautiful Views”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Houston, Texas
“Nice Place w/ Beautiful Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This review is based on a week stay @ 7/1/14.

The family that owned this property divorced and the wife/daughters were given ownership. Since then, the property has gone downhill a bit. There are never enough cart drivers, lobby staff, concierge staff, bell boys, or wait staff at the restaurants (plenty of open tables but up to a 40 minute wait (at the worst times) due to lack of wait staff). La Nao is a great restaurant, as is the Bistro, ask for Ulises or Carlos (best waiters ever). La Nao has theme nights for dinners and required reservations (need @ 6 hours notice to get a decent time reservation). Beware of "organic night"; it was not a hit and most people flocked to The Bistro on this theme night for dinner.

The views are great and the rooms are in fairly good condition. They used the wrong hardware for fastening handles, locks and such and screws were falling out, guide wheels falling off, etc. The pull-out sofa was filthy and badly needed upholstery cleaning. The refrigerator/freezer door was dented. The showers really needed a deep steam/bleaching and to be recaulked. The travertine floors were nice and were swept daily, but they needed to be mopped as well. My new white socks were dingy in a matter of minutes.

There are a few on-site gift shops, delicatessens/mini groceries, coffee shops, etc. Everything is way overpriced on property and you will pay $2.00 for a can of coke. I highly recommend going to Costco or Sams the first day and stocking up on bottled water and such.

On the balconies and restaurants there is a fly and a bird problem. Flies were annoying and there were a minimum of three swarming at any given time (needed some fly fans/traps). The birds would steal food off of trays perch overhead, pooping from chandeliers, overhangs, beams, and nests (need some avicide).

The property is built on the side of a hill. This requires guests to walk up or down to get to different areas (rooms, pools, shops, lobby, transportation, or restaurants, etc.); or wait for a cart to come. There are obnoxious guests that will barge in front of you in lines to get carts. We waited sometimes up to 40 minutes, including calling the lobby/bell boys to get help, to which we were always told the same thing (we are sending carts and they will be there shortly). Be prepared with walking shoes if you want to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Come on guys, put in two gondola-style up/down lifts already!

Whatever you do; be very careful not to get pulled into the timeshare sales-pitch! They will start at the airport in SJD, send you over at the check-in desk, and bother you while you are eating at the restaurant or swimming at the pools. They promised the world (a better breakfast - which was a lie), two free excursions, and one hour of a presentation. We met with a single sales rep. that gets you to fill out a form, sends you to breakfast, and comes back with a custom-tailored sales pitch. Then, you sit and listen to a few offers for a 99 year lease that can be paid off in 5 years after an initial down payment and reduced rate stays (up to 21 days per year). After declining, we were told we could not leave and waited two hours! Then, we were sent to the building across the driveway, where two more sales reps offer you a 15 year deal up to 14 days per year at @ a $500 a week rate, but they want @ $3,000 to be paid now. After 3 HOURS! of declining, we finally left and because the weather was unfavorable, we could not even use the excursions. NEVER AGAIN!

The pools were okay, but had no chairs available after 10:30am (Skypool was the worst in terms of crowding). There really needs to be a better separation of children/adults in the upper and lower pools of the Skypool and such (kids throwing balls and playing made it difficult to relax). The pools were okay but needed some grout replacement around the blue tile. There were tons of bees and wasps circling the swim-up bar. One time we went to the pool, they ran out of towels. In terms of guests, it's really a pain in the butt, as guests from the MonteCristo Resort, Capala Resort, and PB Rose' and PB Blanco resorts all come and go and share restaurants, carts, pools, etc. and think they own the place. The bus transportation to the other resorts is okay, but you now must obtain a ticket ahead of time at the Sunrise Café in order to get on the bus (free). You definitely need to do this in advance if you have reservations or excursions or you might be left behind as demand for seats is greater than capacity at times.

If you can, I would recommend an early breakfast and dinner and plan pool time and excursions accordingly. The restraints/restrictions, and poor weather cancelled jet skiing, snorkeling, and scuba diving; so that was a major disappointment at not fault of the resort. If I had to do it again, I would plan a trip after school was back in session (would have been a lot more peaceful).

Excursions can be planned from the concierge desk. Come early, as they often book up in advance and there are sometimes 30+ minute waits at the desk. If I did it again, I would purchase all excursions via the internet a week in advance. There are numerous websites; look for the best deal. For example: my fishing trip purchased through the concierge desk (via Top Anglers) was sold to Sushitime Fishing. I waited an hour for the captain to come and ready the penga boat. The rods were old, line was not new, hooks were rusty, and there was not even a pair of needle-nose pliers on the boat! Very ill-equipped. I found a better/larger boat for two people for $380 for 5 hours (be sure to ask if licenses or bait is included). The dolphin encounters/trainer/swimming are all sold via different companies, but are all done at the same facility so save yourself some money and look for the cheapest price online ahead of time.

Room Tip: You can ask for whatever location you want, but good luck getting it; they put you where they want d...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ryan P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,483)
  • Korean first
Eugene, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Let me try to give a balanced review.

PROPERTY
Pros - Mostly nice accommodations; nice views; mostly good service; several pools
Cons - Stuck on property with a $14 cab ride one-way to get to town; built on a steep hill so have to take a cart everywhere on property

ROOM
Pros - spacious, comfortable, tile floors
Cons - cockroaches; stove didn't work; spotty housekeeping

FOOD
Pros - several options; Asian restaurant very good; all-inclusive is a good deal
Cons - most are average and not worth going to

SERVICE
Pros - mostly good and attentive
Cons - occasionally attitudes

SALES TOUR
Pros - good incentives ($300+ value)
Cons - rude, intimidating, mean, not worth it

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Dananada
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The standards at this hotel have plummeted. Not even worth the one rating. Front desk is a disaster. They NEVER look at advance requests. Even though you tell them information is correct at he refuse to change the information. We had two weeks booked individually as back to back. It took four people and over two hours of discussions to make them put the whole trip together. They want you to check out one room and check into another even though it is for the same type if room. SERVICE has disappeared in the restaurants now that all inclusive has been introduced. The spa is FILTHY AND I MEAN BLACL MOLD FILTHY AROUND THE HOT TUB TILES. They have reduced staff on the transport and a wait of 45 minutes to be picked up is not uncommon. They have two tennis courts which you can book through concierge. Both times I booked it took them over 15minutes to confirm one was available even though I was looking at the courts. They tried to tell me it was being used. NO CLUE. In fact every member has a really BAD ATTITUDE that assumes the guest is wrong every time. This place is all about TIME SALES and I would think that any high rankings it gets are by people paid by the owners and have probably never visited. Maintenance of air conditioners Is a lost cause. The ONE good thing is that the maids are excellent. Their pay is through tips at the end of the stay so no surprise they do a good job.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank hamishthescot
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We have had a wonderful stay at Pueblo Bonito Sunset! The resort is beautiful and all rooms have an ocean view that is stunning! It truly exceeded our expectations---the pictures online do not do this place justice. We opted for all inclusive and have definitely gotten our money's worth since we have mostly stayed at the resort. We did AI the entire week but you could do it a few days if you plan to go into town a few days.

Here are some things we enjoyed most about the resort:
1. Golf cart driver, Ozain. The resort is very large but golf carts are provided to take you wherever you need. The first night we met Ozain, a golf cart driver, that willingly took us on a tour of the hot spots of the property. Since then we have requested him. He is extremely friendly and speaks great English. He enjoys conversation and is very knowledgable about the resort and the city itself. He doesn't mind answering any and all questions you have. By the end of the trip we made friends with Ozain and hope to see him again one day!

2. While there are several pools, we stayed at the main pool. It is right on the beach, has a swim up bar, and is right by La Nao, a restaurant with a nice breakfast. There are very friendly pool side servers that provided exceptional service--Rodolfo was our favorite! Very attentive!

3. All of the workers in general were very friendly and willing to help in any way! I can't say enough good things about this resort. The food was great--lots of options! Just remember to make reservations! We only made reservations once but weren't very picky about where we went.

While I still rate the trip a 5, here are a few tips:
1. Personally, I wouldn't attend the timeshare presentation unless you are really interested in buying. We went because we heard it wasn't bad and we got good deals on activities--sunset cruise and dolphin swim. They say it takes 90 minutes but it took us about 3 hours and wasted half a day we could have enjoyed at the pool. The guy we talked to was very pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer when we told him we didn't want to buy. Also, the resort has deals with certain companies for the activities. We did the sunset cruise with Oceanus and regretted it after we saw the other cruises and heard from others at the resort.

2. Get to the pool early if you care about having a good seat. We were at the resort on July, prime vacation time, so it was at capacity. We got to the pool early each day by choice. They do provide towels for you. You will receive towel cards when you check in, however many you want. Don't bring your own beach towels. The pool towels are large and surprisingly soft.

3. If you do AI, keep in mind you need cash to tip at restaurants and also the golf cart drivers. You can put a credit card on file to tip for meals if you want. We chose to do cash. Bring lots of small bills! We usually have the drivers a few dollars every time we rode and then needed tip money for food and drinks.

• Stayed July 2014
11 Thank cphill32
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The pros: beautiful resort with great ocean views and most workers were friendly.
The cons: resort too far from local activities and shopping, food was okay not great for the price for all inclusive. Our first day door keys didn't work after several attempts so we requested another room. After 2 days those door keys stopped working but were replaced quickly. First day after checking in they send you to welcome desk which is a setup to attend presentation. Too many birds and flies in several restaurants. Sand isn't sank in your feet sand and no swimming on beach.
Bottom line if you just want to relax this is the place, if not I suggest you stay at sister resorts. The food, entertain and beach was much better so it was worth taking shuttle.

Room Tip: All rooms have great ocean views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CLANCYSOFINE
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had the best experience at Pueblo Bonito Sunset! I got married here in May with 60 guests. Every guest was impressed with the hotel and their rooms. The all inclusive plan is definitely the way to go. I thought their food was excellent! Pueblo bonito sunset is not like other all inclusive hotels that serve you cheap drinks in plastic cups. They serve you a beer in a can over a bucket of ice. The quality of the food and drinks were unlike typical all inclusive resorts. The people that work at this hotel, all work so hard and are very friendly. I was impressed with all the workers from the wait staff, to the maintance workers, to the house keepers. The grounds were so well kept and you can not beat waking up to that view every day! My wedding planner was Denise. I was a little worried picking details and planning my wedding through emails. I wish I didn't waste my time worrying. Denise was so sweet, patient, and professional. They do weddings here almost every day,so they really know what they are doing! Denise made sure that every detail was perfect. My cake topper broke on the way down there and she didn't even bat an eye. She had it fixed for me the next day. The flowers were high quality. My minister was Diego Vidal. He put together a beautiful ceremony, everyone cried. My photographer was Irela Garcia and she did a great job! I would recommend her. She knew where to take good pictures on the grounds. All in all, I cant say enough great things about this resort! They truly gave me the wedding of my dreams that ran so smoothly. They did a great job managing a large group. If your going to do a destination wedding I highly recommend Pueblo Bonito Sunset. Were already planning our reunion trip for next year!!

Room Tip: Try the huevos rancheros at the Bistro. I had it every morning. The sushi restaurant has a nice outd...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
11 Thank Sarah D
Garden Grove, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I am in complete agreement with the review "Great and Terrible" I could not describe it any better.

Here is an account of my personal experience
The resort is beautiful in every way. It offered several restaurants and 7 pools. It was very big. Therefore - it offers carts that you call and they take you to your destination. Of course you could walk, but it was hot, humid, and hilly - also, the distance is deceiving as there are twists and turns before arriving to your destination. (think: line at Disneyland, you think it's just around the corner.) The cons: on some occasions we waited 20 mins for a cart - so if you have reservations for the courtesy shuttle or dinner - plan way ahead. one day we waited 40 min's and called several times. Waiting out in the hot, humid climate got us more grumpy.

We had Ocean views from our room, virtually from most places on the resort. However, the beach was not swimmable. The resort of course offers lounge chairs on the beach. The sand is course, and the water is a cool and clear. The clouds hover just along the horizon all day.

There is an all inclusive option - if you are going to spend a significant amount of time at the resort its WORTH IT - aprox $65 per day, minimum of 3 days - it includes drinks. I did not make this purchase. My daughter and I had lunch at the pool one day and it was $50 - the pizza was just okay and my fish tacos were okay. We waited over 30 mins for our lunch though. On this day we were by the pool and were in no hurry, but I still felt like it was a long wait. As one would think/expect - everything on the resort is VERY pricey.

The resort was about a 20 min car drive from the "town" - where the "hot spots" like Cabo Wabo Cantina, the marina, shopping, etc.. Another major downer about being so far from town is you can't just walk to some local food spots - (I love eating off the streets etc - that's the essence of Mexico goodness to me). The resort offers a shuttle to their sister resort for free, every hour which is close to the town and offers a swimmable beach - you are welcome to all the other resorts amenities: pools, towels, etc.. The downside: the carts that take you to the shuttle stop run late sometimes - we missed the shuttle and had to wait one hour for the next one. We waited at the Internet Cafe - which offers free wi-fi, and a $4 cup of coffee.

I didn't get a rental car - but I think a day or 2 w/a rental car would have been nice to go out and explore w/out waiting on the shuttles and I would have like to visit the neighboring town of Todos Santos. A taxi to town from our resort was $14 one way.

Overall: If I had intended on spending most of my vacation time at the resort, relaxing and taking advantage their amenities I would have added the all inclusive. Add a day trip to town etc.. but I found myself leaving often to do the water activities at the sister resort, so when you factor in: getting carted to the shuttle, the 30 min. shuttle drive (one way),

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family