“Nice with a caviat”

Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, California
“Nice with a caviat”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

we are time share owners and have loved this resort from the beginning (2004). However, there are some changes that have been made which make the resort less desireable. You have to get around on golf carts because the resort is built into a mountainside and it is very steep to walk up the trails to your room from the lobby and the pools. There is a shortage of golf carts now and you have to wait a long time to get one and it makes it miserable when it is Hot or you want to get somewhere quickly ( we waited 30 minutes sometimes in 90 degree heat and humidity). And the cart drivers race up and down fast so it is bumpy and you better hold on. For the first timers this may not be so bad, but after using this timeshare for several years, I am not fond of using carts anymore and will consider not coming here. It is a 10 year old property now and needs some updating. So we will trade for other properties thru RCI. The property itself is still beautifully kept. The grounds are remarkable and the views are spectacular. We tried the all inclusive this time ( they had a 50% off deal) and that made it very nice. The resteraunts are good. The La Nao resteraunt by the main pool has great buffet breakfasts and dinners. Be prepared to gain some weight. The people who work there from the housekeeping, resteraunt, and cart staff are very congenial. Overall a great property, but the carts are a nuisance. I will stay elsewhere next time where I can walk to where I want to
go!!!! Cabo is full of first rate hotels so I would choose another one next time.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms in buildings 21-24 best views and accomodations
4 Thank jmotek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,563)
  • Korean first
Woodland, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed with my family for the fourth of July weekend. The resort was great. My kids love the pools. They loved the main pool and the sky pool. The staffs were great everyone try to make our vacation fun. The staffs at the kids pool were very nice especially Erick from the kids pool bar.
We also love the Sushi restaurant which was called The Sunset Sushi. The food was so good that ate sushi twice
I like to say thank you to Maricruz Hernandez the restaurant manager. She was very polite and very professional.
We definitely want to come back and visit the resort again.

7 Thank Shar0n1818
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just returned from a week at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach with family and friends. We stayed in a Super Presidential Suite which was amazing. Great view and very spacious. We definitely enjoyed our time at the resort, but I do have a few complaints.... the activities team was very disappointing. We couldn't even get a volleyball to play sand volleyball after 5 pm when it was actually cool enough outside to play!--- (They are also closed on Mondays) It also seemed like a lot of things closed early. The pools all shut down at 10pm and most of the bars and restaurants were closed by 10pm. One bar is open until 11:30 and the lobby bar remains open until 1:30. Most of the food and drinks were decent... we ate at a lot of buffets for their themed dinners. The best food by far is at the Asian restaurant and great service! For lunch we typically ate at the pool bars as their food was also very good. We also went into town to their sisters resorts (Pueblo Bonito Rose and Blanca) this is where you will go if you want to swim in the ocean. I felt like the town was very safe and enjoyed walking around and shopping one afternoon. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. Btw, we did do the all inclusive package and with how much we ate and drank it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kwillhite
Folsom, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and 2 daughters just spent a week here.To say we were severely disappointed would be an understatement! 1.The pressure to buy into their timeshare was relentless. 2. We were charged $400 to upgrade our room, which was the same room we had already paid for in our package and we had to fight to get our $400 back, we were told it could only be issued as a "resort credit". 3. The resort is not on a swim able beach, which is not mentioned anywhere in the resort details on line. 4. The resort is built into a steep hillside too steep to walk unless you're in good shape, and definitely not walkable if you have any health issues,this requires use of chauffeured golf carts to get anywhere on the resort(tip expected each trip). 5. All the restaurants in the resort require a dinner reservation, even though you have paid for the meals in your all-inclusive price! 6. The resort is 2-3 miles outside of town which requires use of the free shuttle that only goes to the sister resort, Pueblo Bonito Rose, also not within easy walking distance to town.This means you pay $15 each way for a taxi. I have been to Cabo San Lucas 10 times and it has a very fun and vibrant downtown. This was the worst trip of all. I will never stay at Pueblo Bonito Sunset again! Customer service was extremely poor. Every time we called with an issue, staff, especially Victor, were very argumentative.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank casmus
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I got married here at the Sunset resort. There was quite annoyance with the wedding coordinator, Hector. But for the most part it was amazing.
Our cake was frozen, the DJ didn't have our song list, the minister wasn't informed of ceremony script, our ceremony was literally 5 minutes long.

The only 2 cons about the Sunset resort is if you order room service, whether it's 2 waters or dinner...it takes 2 hours. And the resort is MASSIVE! You will want to take a cart which could take up to 25 minutes for a cart to get to you.

However, every single employee has been incredible. For how big this resort is, I'm very impressed with how clean it is. Our favorite 2 pools were the Sky pool and pool 26. We don't want to leave because of the bartenders. We've got to be great friends with Zenon, David, and Elisae (at the sky pool) and Luis Sanchez and Fredrico (at the 26 pool). You could tell they really enjoyed their job and genuinely cared about their service to everyone.

The food here has ALL been amazing. You can't go wrong with the Bistro. But all the other restaurants at the resort were so delicious, even the swim up pool bar food!

There's obviously little things we wish were different, but that's going to be anywhere. We will definitely be back! And hope to see our favorite bartenders then!

• Stayed July 2014
8 Thank AmberMartin1369
Fircrest, Washington
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We are owners at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and have been vacationing at this resort for the past 10 years to create family memories and celebrate special occasions. We recently stayed at the Sunset for two weeks with our 3 children to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday, celebrate July 4th, and enjoy quality family time. Here's what we experienced at Sunset Beach and why I decided to write a review on trip advisor “inconsistent and inconvenient”…
First, we booked and requested a specific room 9 months in advance. We understand that not all accommodations can be honored, and ended up having to stay 3 nights in 2493 where the master bathroom sink leaked, and the other the guest bathroom had water dripping from the ceiling lights. After returning from the sky pool, my daughter slipped and fell on the bathroom floor hitting her head, gratefully she was not seriously injured. So, we were placed in a room that was unsafe and needs serious maintenance repairs. Sadly, no follow up management with an apology or to check to ensure that our daughter (Alyssa) was okay after falling and hitting her head.
Secondly, new towel card rule... At the main pool, one of our towels was taken when we went down to the beach. Totally inconvenient and has promoted people taking each other’s towels to avoid charges. Thankfully, it was an accident that another family took an extra towel and the attendant recommended in the future that we request our waiter to watch our towels…what???
Thirdly, our favorite thing to do in the morning is all go work out together as a family, relax in the wet spa, then meet at a given pool for food/drinks. After enjoying two days of wet spa experiences, a robe was not in my locker. When I let the attendant know, she informed me that robes are now only being given to guests having treatments. I was given one as a courtesy, but told it was my last time. I requested that a robe be placed in both my husband and my lockers for the next morning for his 50th birthday and I would take it up with the management the next day, so we wouldn’t disrupt his birthday with problem-solving Sunset Beach issues. The next morning robes were places in our lockers, but none for our daughters that came soon after us. I offered mine to one daughter and was rushing to get dressed to talk to the attendant about another one for our other daughter. In the midst of ROBE confusion, I left my iPhone in the spa (either in my robe pocket or left it on a counter while getting dressed). I rushed back to our room where the front door was wide open was being cleaned. Bottomline, my iphone was stolen (either in the spa or possibly from my spa bag back at the room) and I didn’t realize my phone was gone until after the sky pool. Expensive and inconvenient day for our family with our daughter’s falling from a pool of water on the bathroom floor from a leak in the ceiling light, iphone stolen, and dealing with banks, cell phone company (Sprint), etc. to deactivate everything, as well as reporting it to the front desk.
Lastly, we came down to enjoy watching the World Cup (specifically Mexico & USA), we ended up moving the day that USA played and the entire family enjoyed the game at the Manila Bar while I waited to be moved. After my iphone was stolen, we needed a family member to stay behind for the move so nothing else of value would be taken. I missed the entire game, except for some of the over time.
After checking with the front desk and spa each day, I decided to request a meeting with the front desk manager since the spa manager had never contacted us. I explained everything that had happened and she was confused why we hadn’t gone to security with this issue. Never once did the front desk people suggest or recommend that we do this, we did everything they told us to do. A report was finally taken by security, but again no follow through or an apology for the inconvenience. The front desk manager did send 5 chocolate strawberries to our room a couple days later.
Now finally at home, and dealing with replacing my iphone, which has locked us into another 2 year contract and updating all our families’ phones to keep consistent chargers, cases, etc. (that has cost us a “pretty penny”). After updating, backing up phones, and downloading all our contacts, photos, messages, and emails, we discovered photos on our iCloud account of the person who stole my phone (with their address from an invitation, etc…let’s just say that this person has thoroughly enjoyed using my iphone). This is obviously a Pueblo Bonito Sunset Employee! My husband emailed the person we had made all our arrangements with and requested that management contact us so we could deal with this matter internally, versus placing this publically information on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we have not been contacted. I’m hoping by my putting this on TripAdvisor that the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach management team will follow through and contact us to help resolve this issue.
What makes Sunset Beach "inconsistent and inconvenient" is constant rule changes (especially the spa) that we need to learn how to nagivate through each time we visit. The all-inclusive has dramatically changed the quality of food.
We have been faithful owners and always promoted Sunset Beach with our friends and family. After this last trip, we are questioning whether we want to come back.
Janel Kageler

3 Thank Janel K
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Have been to all Pueblo Bonito resorts in Cabo and just LOVE SUNSET! The staff was wonderful and very helpful! Felt very safe and secure! Delicous food and great spa! Very clean! Will continue to recommend Pueblo Bonito Resorts to friends and family

RODOUFO FROM THE MAIN POOL WAS AWESOME!!!!!

9 Thank KASIE H