“No Management, Horrible Service, Beautiful Resort”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I would like to start by saying I am being generous giving this resort the rating. The service here was the worst service I have ever received on any vacation.

The check-in process itself took about an hour and a half. We had a group of 10 girls and requested rooms together when we made the reservation 7 months ago. We were told the resort was fully booked and they could not accommodate the request for the 3 rooms. This was not that big of a deal. After we checked in, we were stopped by very pushy sales people for a 90 minute timeshare presentation. We purchased the all inclusive package, had a pretty full agenda and were willing to pay for the spas and meals that were not included, so the incentives did not interest us. They kept pushing at multiple points in the 5 days we were there, so be prepared.

The first thing that we wanted to do after a long trip (9 hours) and our check-in was get into our bathing suits, get a drink and relax at the pool. We walked to the pool, and went straight to the pool bar. We were told by the bartender the pool bar was closed. Fine, we could just grab drinks from the closest bar and bring them down to the pool. That is when we saw the bartender continuing to serve drinks for about 30 minutes after he told us the bar was closed. This happened to us on multiple occasions at different places for the first 2 days... last call or bar is closed.

We called the front desk to file a complaint and the first time we were told a manager was not on duty. The next time we were put on hold for 30 minutes (of course, we put the phone on speaker while we got ready to go out... refusing to waste time on hold). After the 30 minutes on hold, we heard a dial tone. We then went to the front desk in person, and again we were told there was no manager on duty, but someone would call us. We never received that call.

We were now starving, so we decided to call for room service. No one answered the phone after multiple attempts and even being transferred from the front desk (in case, we pressed the wrong button), no one ever picked up. Some of us decided to walk to a restaurant called the Bistro. After ordering and eating there, we thought it would be nice if brought back some food for the rest of the girls. We ordered food to-go in boxes. The waitress told us that she did not have any more boxes. Well just behind her we saw stacks of boxes (STACKS!). We told her they were behind her, giving her the benefit of the doubt. She said something in Spanish quickly to a bus boy who came around and moved the boxes to the kitchen. Now, we were really not happy. This waitress lied to us and then tried to cover it up. When we told her this, she told us that there were "politics at the resort that would not allow her to give us to-go boxes". Apparently, these politics have to do with the all-inclusive vs. non-all-inclusive vs. timeshare. We asked to speak to her manager. Guess what... no manager on duty.

That was the first day.

We learned some "tips" as we went.

#1 Tip before you get any service. You want a drink? Tip the bartender when you order, not after you get the drink; otherwise, that drink order may be forgotten or will take forever. This can be applied to waiters, bartenders, driver, front desk... Bribe them. $2-5 per service (of course, tip more for the paid services, like spas)

#2 Walk. It takes forever for a golf cart, even if you call. If you are disabled or out of shape, do not stay here. It is on a cliff, which makes this resort beautiful, but if you want to get anywhere on the resort, it is quicker to walk.

#3 Sky Pool. Oh my god. This place is beautiful. It is the best spot in the resort. Not great for families, but for adults, it is amazing. The service changed here, bartender was attentive, waiter was quick. Probably the main reason why I gave any stars to this resort.

If you can pick where you want to stay (i.e. do not have a timeshare), stay at a different resort. There are tons in the area.

Room Tip: Penthouse is the way to go at this hotel.
5  Thank Jita143

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just returned from this hotel, and being in the hospitality industry this lacked a lot.

1. It took over an hour to check in. Granted we had a huge group but we were there with owners. It should not take that long.
2. Our room was nice, roomy, but so far from everything.
3. Our TV did not work the entire time. We called several times for repair, no one ever showed.
4. All inclusive, but you had to sign and give a room number everywhere you went. And when I went to check out (which you have to do at the desk with another long line). They had like 7 people listed on my room and wanted money from me?
5. Towel cards. Who wants the towels anyway. And people were taking towels all day. How does one keep track?
6. Our toilet ran all day and night.
7. Electricity went off a few times and I could not locate where you place a key to run it.
8. No hair conditioner.
9. The sky pool was so dirty. There were bees everywhere. No one at the pool to clean up. Waiters were just ok. (They are cool when the tips are big)

Overall the stay was only ok. I wish I would have complained there, but the lines are so long at the desk, it made no sense to try.

Room Tip: Get closer to the lobby section. The wifi is not good, very spotty
1  Thank 4peaches04
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Beautiful location! 5 different pools to choose from, each with their own vibe! Spa is amazing! Yes, its hilly and huge so there are carts running all day taking people to and from - and you may have to wait for one but so happy they provide them! Most of the time though, my husband and I would just walk...great way to add in exercise throughout the day! The staff are awesome and always so willing to help out and accommodate your needs! Love that we are out of the hectic town area but have the free shuttle provided to the Rose if you want to get down there...or you can take a taxi that are in and out of the resort all day! I also love that there is a medical clinic on site - I needed to go there this trip and was so grateful it was there. I had to get a Rx and I just dropped it off at concierge, they called the pharmacy in town, and my Rx was at the hotel in less than an hour! Awesome! Was so happy to hear that they have medical service provided 24x7 in case of emergencies! Love Sunset Beach - best hotel in Cabo! Can't wait for our next trip back to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank jpotravellers
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

David Fuentes in the Sunset Sushi resturaunt is Awesome! Take his advice and you'll have an awesome meal! Love it, David Rocks! Ask for him. Sushi and Tuna trolling dishes were fantastic and the sushi was fresh. I would recommend everyone try Sunset Sushi! 5 stars.

Stayed: August 2014
9  Thank Michael S
SBOperationsManager, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed our Sunset Sushi Restaurant also thank you for your special recognition to David Fuentes I will share your comments to him and his peers. Your words are the perfect motivator to continue doing their jobs with such a high level of dedication and enthusiasm.

Again thank you for your comments, We are looking forward to host you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever stayed in. All around this is the place to stay while in Cabo! Roberto at the Main Pool and all the other staff at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach provide all visitors with a positive experience. This was my second time there and I will surely be back for a third in a few months!

Room Tip: Lower number rooms are by the main pool and closer to the ocean. Every room in the hotel is an Ocea...
8  Thank Ayssa M

Dear guest.

Thanks for letting me know how much you enjoyed your vacation at Sunset Beach, I am grateful for your kind remarks about Roberto at the main pool. I will share your comments with him and his peers.
We are looking forward for your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I read all the reviews before I left. Each review helped. We stayed 8/1-8/8 in building 22 in a super executive suite with a Jacuzzi on the balcony. The place is huge and there was no walking for us. We never waited too long for a golf cart (more like a safari cart which seats 8). The golf cart rides were fun and offered us a chance to see the resort each time. Riding at night was the best. The food was excellent. The champagne breakfast took my breath away. The Asian restaurant was the best food we had ever had. We did make reservations for all dinners and the champagne breakfast. The staff were all very nice and helpful. They were super accommodating with our super finicky kids. The resort is kept immaculate - someone was cleaning, shinning, gardening every minute. I never say a piece of trash anywhere. All the pools were great and had accessible bathrooms but I did notice that a lot of people never left the pool ;(.

Go to a dollar store or something before you come and buy some rafts. We found some when we were at the Rose and they were very useful. I don't know about blowing them up.

Our best day was when we took the shuttle to the Rose (please get your shuttle tickets the day before) and took a water taxi to Pelican beach. We went snorkeling. We have two 9 years olds so we brought rafts with us to help them stay afloat while they snorkeled. No bathrooms or provisions so plan accordingly. We stayed three hours and then went back on the water taxi. We used Baja Tours which took us on a short tour of the arches, etc. You can book at the resort.

Food and service at the Rose and the Blanco was not as good but it will still fun to be at the actual beach.

We used CaboTransfers to get from the airport to the hotel. Amazing service and we didn't have to hassle with any timeshare people or taxi at the airport.

We did get approached about time share stuff on occasion but we just politely said no thanks. It was not a problem. We skipped the welcome packet on check in because we didn't want to hear any speeches.

Main pool has some fun activities during the day which kept the kids busy - Ping Pong and Bingo. I did water aerobics which was fun. I went to the Spa which was great and very peaceful.

There is no night life and town is 45 minutes away. Many people hung out in the bar at night but there was no music or any other night scene.

Gluten free - I am Gluten Free and had researched this ahead of time and thought I would be fine. I was for the most part. I brought my own snacks. But I didn't bring any bread or dessert and watching my family eat all that stuff was frustrating. I wanted a sweet bread like there was no tomorrow. I brought my own soy sauce. The Asian restaurant is the only place with a GF menu. I would bring my own tortilla chips next time and some desserts. Otherwise I was fine.

Illness - I got sick on the second to last day. It was bad enough I decided to go to the on site medical clinic. (This place is so big they have their own medical clinic). I was seen, diagnosed, and had a prescription within 4 hours. I was diagnosed with a bacteria infection. They will have the prescription delivered from town which is awesome but you have to pay in cash. I didn't have enough cash with me so opted to only get one of the three prescriptions. Tip - bring extra cash just in case. Better to have it then not. I went to the ER as soon as I got home and my diagnosed and treatment was confirmed. Imodium AD and Tylenol which I had with me also came in handy.

My 4 star rating is based on there not being any night life and the fact that I got sick. Not sure how I got sick but it was definitely something I came in contact with there.

My family wants to go back. I am still on the fence. But if I do go back I would plan more excursions since we only did that 1 or our days.

Room Tip: We couldn't select our room no matter how we tried. I called in advance and got hung up on. At...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the kind words you posted of our hotel. Your recommendations are very accurate and will help others to plan their trip.
We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we will share your comments to the staff in order to let them know that they are doing a great job.
For your next visit please let us know in advance and our chef will be happy to offer a GF options at our different restaurants.
Again thank you for your comments, it will be a pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Rudest people (staff) we've ever come accross in 20+ years of traveling MX. Unrelenting sales people were the worst leg-humpers ever...worse than the street guys. Our repeated and polite "no thank you's" were consistently met with rudeness, condecension, and then more rudeness. When we called for our car to leave, we were always stalled at the front to quiz us about where we were going, who we were meeting, other resorts we may visit, etc., etc. It was like they were paranoid we'd see someplace else. Absolutely unreal. We stayed here 7 years ago and liked it then. It was very nice. The place has gone to the dogs. Maintenance was lacking, the food was horrible, and again, the unrelenting sales people ruined our stay. Repeatedly asked for the GM to express our displeasure and request some relief. Never heard back from anybody. Pueblo Bonito...Never again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family