“Overpriced and overextended”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This could be a great resort -- if it were small and comfortable. It's not. It's far removed from town; the restaurants are overpriced; even the small sundry shop didn't carry anything not imported from the U.S. It's huge: to get to the pool at one end, you have to take a shuttle bus and change for a golf cart at the main hotel/time-share. Since it's the Pacific, not only can you not swim in the ocean, if you so much as sit on the beach, the staff chases you off. Not my idea of welcoming. Plus, they are always doing construction to add more rooms to the place, so you can forget any idea of a quiet morning

Room Tip: Go to another hotel that is more welcoming and not a U.S. compound on the coast of Mexico.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank NYCAlice
Write a ReviewReviews (9,750)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I just returned from a week at the gorgeous Pueblo Bonito Sunset in Cabo and have very mixed feelings about the place. I will try to break it down in parts to make it easier to read.

THE AMAZINGLY GOOD

1) The people who work at these resort are just AMAZING. I am a frequent traveler and have stayed at all kinds of hotels and because of work I usually stay at the higher end ones. I can say without hesitation that this hotel is hands down the best in terms of customer service I have every stayed at. I can't say enough good things about the waiters, waitresses, housekeepers, concierge, and specially the kids club ladies.
A shot out to Karla and Montserrat at the kids club who were just so wonderful and amazing with my daughter.
The kids club is small but they do so much for the kids and they have so much fun. I took mine for 2 half days and she loved it. I also used their babysitting services and these two ladies were amazing. I wanted to take them back home with me! :-)

We got locked out of our room and they immediately sent one person to open our door and then a second person to deliver two set of keys.

I have to give the employees at this hotel 5 stars. I wish there were more stars to give for customer service

I actually saw 2 of the beach security guys handling this drunk guy in such a professional way that I was very impressed. I would have probably kicked his drunk a*&ss

2) The view and the sunset. Both amazing

3) The Sushi restaurant. Excellent!

4) The bistro. I was actually impressed with their quality of their food. When I saw that it was their 24hour restaurant i thought "this is going to be Denny's quality food". Not so. Food and service were so good that we decided to eat there more than once. Their pizza was one of the best I have eaten.

5) The SPA. It is beautiful and the massages amazing. Expensive but if you get them at 40% which is what I did then they are not too expensive

6) The Kids pool area. This was the best place to be. The kids have a huge pool area to play at while the adults are having drinks at the swim up bar..WIN/WIN.

THE NOT SO GOOD.

1) The prices are outrageous. $11 for a drink, $23 for a pair of kids flip flops, $30 for a bottle of wine that costs $10 anywhere else, etc..etc...I am by no means a budget traveler but I was outraged at the prices.

2) The Golf Carts. These are a problem. In order to get around the property which is located in a steep hill you have to take these little carts everywhere. Kids love it and the first time you ride them you think "oh how neat". Until you have to call one every darn time you have to go anywhere and have to wait upwards of 15 minutes. Not to mention taking one after you had a nice dinner and feeling as if you are about to leave your dinner in the cart. The hotel was not even at full capacity and they were having trouble with the availability of carts. I have to say that this alone is the main reason why I would probably not stay in this hotel again. It is really difficult not to have the freedom to go anywhere you want without depending on someone. I would have walked but we had a kid with us who was not about to go up and down those hills

3) People smoking in the Kids pool area...SERIOUSLY?. I am not sure if this is allowed or not but nobody from the staff said anything so I assumed it was allowed. I did not say anything because i am on vacation and the last thing i want is to get into an argument with an a-hole who does not have enough sense to realize that smoking around anybody -much less kids- is not a good idea

4) Pool bars closing at 5 p.m. ARE YOU FOR REAL?. Who closes a pool bar at 5?...well this place does. Just when we thought we were going to relax in the afternoon after spending time with the kid all day, and have a cocktail or 2 before dinner we are told "sorry we close at 5"...my reaction was just to think WTH?. seriously who closes a bar at 5?. I understand that the target for this place is Americans who like to eat dinner at 6 or 7 but there's other demographic who may want to eat later and not have to end everything at 5 specially since we are on vacation. I know we were not the only ones who felt this way because this and the lack of enough carts was a constant topic of casual conversation amongst people.

The BAD

I have to say that if there was one really bad thing about the resort was the aggressiveness of their timeshare sales people...holly mother of God were they annoying...from the time you check in the stalking starts with their invites to the breakfast where you know they are going to try to sell you something....then you go to the bistro to have a breakfast in peace and you have this woman asking you if you want to go to the presentation and they start with a $150 or so offer for the spa and ended up offering us $450. It is just very annoying.

Overall we had a great, relaxing time and we are impressed by the level of service and how beautiful this place is...however, I don't think the price justifies staying here once again and dealing with the hassles mentioned above.

Room Tip: I think the 3rd floor rooms have the best views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 953julietaa
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I just recently took a vacation to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach! Love it love it love it!! The people are very friendly, and the resort is beautiful. We spent most of our time up at the sky pool! The bartenders and waiters were awesome!! My favorite was Zenon!!!! Always had a smile on his face and such a sweet man!! Can't wait to go back again!!!

Stayed: August 2014
13  Thank Shauna S
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The place was very beautiful and the sunset were magnificent. However, I found 4 or 5 BIG roaches. I had to call housekeeping and they came to remove them. I believe they were coming in from the front door that did not have "door bottom seal". I was disgusted every time I came into my room to find this horrible creatures in my room. Such a beautiful place. I finally placed a towel at the front door to seal the gap and the problem was over! The place is in a mountain and I was very high up. You need to call for a golf cart to pick you up to take you to the reception, pool, restaurant. The people were great and accomodating. However, next time I go to Los Cabos, I would rather stay more by the center wher I don't have to wait for a golf cart to come pick me up and then wait for a shuttle to take me to the center of town. Overall, it was a great trip and I love Los Cabos.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms have a great view of the ocean and the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Elena Damien D
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Let me start by saying this resort is huge. This is the largest resort my husband and I have ever stayed at. We booked our stay as an RCI exchange and were initially worried as the review I read both on Trip Advisor and RCI had some complaints about the maintenance of the rooms/resort, check in process and the golf carts. Let me say that we did not experience any of these issues. We arrived at the resort and was whisked away to a separate podium just for RCI members, the woman that helped us was super friendly and gave us a choice on what building we would like our room to be in. We did not do the all- inclusive as we wanted to experience restaurants outside of the resort during our vacation. We chose to walk everywhere most of the time because we are in our late 30’s and decided that if we wanted to eat like we wanted; the calorie loss would be beneficial! However, if we wanted to ride a gold cart, they always seemed available. We did choose to attend the timeshare presentation and received $400 resort credit – which we used towards food (that did come in handy). Our room was beautiful. None of the maintenance complaints I saw applied to our room. The resort overall was very well maintained. The pools were clean and the landscaping gorgeous. All the staff we encountered were amazing.

All being said, I have two minor complaints. These don’t warrant me giving them less than the 5 stars I rated them at. 1.) The pool bars close at 5:30pm but the pools don’t close until 10pm. That is lame. 2.) The skypool is amazing but it is used for weddings – so it was closed for 4 of the 6 nights we were there. The problem is that you don’t know it is closed until you walk all the way up there. There should be some way to communicate to the guests which nights the skypool will be closed.

Side note from the timeshare presentation – we were told the owner pays for all of the housing for the staff. I knew that had to be a load of B.S. so I asked some of the employees. I received laughter for all of the responses. The poor golf cart driver told us they get paid 300 pesos per day (which is like $25 US) so please tip everyone when they deserve it.

Room Tip: We had an end room and it was relatively quiet. All rooms have a view of the ocean so that is a big...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Celeste A
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I was invited to a destination wedding and omg...I was totally wowed on route to the location but when I arrived at the hotel it totally surpassed any and all of my expectations to see this work of art that was constructed out of a mountain ....the views were spectacular I shared a room (Bldg 20) with 2 others and we were quite comfortable we all were in awe of our surroundings. The sky pool was amazing ....food, service and especially the staff was excellent which made the trip one that I would definitely do again.
Thank you Ross & Patrice for including me in your celebration!
*my one fault was the wait time at meals...a bit too long.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the way to go/not too much sun and a breeze of the water is refreshing
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Sandra W
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our group of 5 adults and 5 children enjoyed much of what this property has to offer. We found our rooms through vrbo.com and rented from time share owners.

Here's the good:
1. Spectacular views, both from the cliffside and beachside.
2. Friendly, cheerful service from resort staff, particularly housekeepers, cart drivers and pool waiters.
3. Nearly all staff speak excellent English.
4. Clean, well appointed guest rooms/suites.
5. Spectacular Sky Pool with infinity edge overlooking ocean...best drinks and food service on the property. Seek out Alejandro and Alonso for the most attentive service.
6. Excellent restaurant: Sunset Sushi.
7. Ice machines located outside all buildings, watered filtered and purified.
8. Rental car parking is FREE.
9. Large and well appointed gym.
10. Lush, beautiful landscaping everywhere.

The Bad:
1. Sunset Beach is far away from downtown Cabo and Marina, necessitating a free shuttle ride to other destinations. Guests must obtain tickets before boarding shuttles and space is very limited.

2. Bringing groceries from OUTSIDE the property is discouraged, guests are not permitted to use the shuttle service with grocery bags in hand. A cab ride to the nearest grocery is $20 each way.

3. Time share presentations are tedious, repetitive, confrontational and run far longer than the appointed 90 minute mark.

4. Prices for food and drinks poolside and in restaurants, are quite high. ALWAYS keep your receipts at the end of each day for review upon check-out.

5. Electricity is sporadic. We lost power three times during our week's stay.

6. Internet is costly, with no package deals offered for a week's stay.

7. The property's steep, cliffside terrain makes walking challenging, still beats long waits for cart service during peak hours, i.e.: dinnertime, etc.

8. Room service delivers food late and cold.

9. Pool towel cards are necessary if you wish to use a towel. One card equals one towel, without exception. If the towel card is lost, the guest will be charged a $25 fee at check out.

10. The biggest disappointment of all, upon entering our beach front suite, was discovering that swimming is absolutely prohibited. The beach is gorgeous, but the point break is only a few feet from shore. Great booming waves, but deadly for swimmers.

Room Tip: Buildings 26 & 27 have gorgeous views of the surrounds and ocean. They offer a midpoint to acces...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank willemagrippa
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TA, Sunset Beach is in fact a huge property and constructed on hill which guarantee spectacular views to the Pacific ocean had said this golf carts are mandatory to transport our guests from one point to another we are expecting more golf carts to reinforce our transportation system. We appreciate your comments about suite service and our food and beverage in general we will share all your comments to our colleagues so they can benefit from them to improve our services.
We recently had experienced some lost of power due to maintenance and repairments in town that affect us without previous notice and we apologize for that.
We hope to welcome you anytime soon in Sunset Beach.

Best Regards,