“better than we expected”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
minnesota
“better than we expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Hola mi amoigos,,we just returned to minnesota from the PB Sunset,,,WOW,,,awesome resort ! despite not having a swimmable beach ,we found no flaws ! we stayed in building 19, floor 9,,,grab that villa , its right next to the Awesome skypool which is phenomenal. service was top notch,,ask for Ramon at the skypool, he is marvelous , the food at the skypool was very good, fish tacos, burgers, ,,Carlos was great in the lobby,for grabbing taxis, setting up your tours etc.. we did the timeshare( 2 1/2 hours) & got a mexican blanket, bottle of Koluoa, they reimbursed us the $90.00 for whalewatching tour & the &200.00 credit & Spa Certificate everyone else got ! you must go see the whales,,we went on the sunrider boat , which had the buffet & open bar,, the deli by the lobby is the way to go,,,we bought fruit , water, snacks etc,,to bring up to the pool & it was way cheaper. we ate at the La Nao restrurant for the Thursday night seafood buffet & breakfast buffet for $16.00 each> very good,,we ate at the La Bistros too,,,good also,,we caught a taxi for $10.00 into town, tried the Mi Casa cafe for tacos,,,good,,,and went to Mango Deck for lunch too,,town is crowded & kinda dirty,but great bargains are there,,offer the vendor 75% of their price,, if you can handle a few hills , and nonstop golf carts hauling you around,,this is worth your while,,,the maids spent at least one & 1/2 hours cleaning our executive suite everyday,,there are flamingos, peacocks,cockatoos on the resort,,that is neat ! my Only advise of a negative is when you get off the plane & go through customs,head straight outside,, there are tons of timeshare & hounds outside,,,dont stop inside for any reason,,they will try real hard to coax you into stopping by the counter,,I was aware of this before hand & still got tricked into that,,they said the cape travel shuttle was running late,and I needed to sign something to secure a seat on the next van... Anyway a great trip , a great resort, very nice & professional staff, good food, good sun. great views, gotta go shovel snow now !! yuk

• Liked — friendly staff & cleanliness
  • Disliked — hills,non swimmable water
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank GodisgoodMn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,482)
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

Just returned from PBSB, and loved the resort! They did not have the room type we reserved, so we were automatically upgraded. All resort personnel were a pleasure to deal with. Room quality was outstanding, food was above average to excellent.

Food- best meals were at Pacifica holistic resort (on site- free shuttle runs twice/hr) - Sushi at Siempre, and poolside menu. The Bistro was suprisingly good, in light of reviews we read before going, but the Frida was a disappointment- marginal food quality, and definitely overpriced. We did not try La Nao. Room service was excellent, including room service sushi.

Getting around- the site is very steep- we walked alot, but golf carts are fast & convenient. There are exhaust fumes from the carts are nasty, but not a big problem. There is a free shuttle van to Pacifica every 30 minutes, and a shuttle bus to the PB Rose' resort downtown every hr. during the day- from which you can walk around the downtown area. The airport shuttle is worth taking, and less expensive than any other alternative for the hour long ride. The shuttle must be arranged through the PBSB website before arrival ($19 pp), and the return is arranged through the concierge once you are there ($16 pp).

Timeshare presentation- worth doing for the discounts. This was a low pressure sales experience, compared to others we have attended, and we would have been tempted if we did not already own elsewhere. They will offer $200 in food credits- immediately will bump to $250 if you act hesitant! A $100 spa credit was offered, but we were not interested. A bottle of Tequila will be included, but you must ask for it. They will also throw in a 2 for 1 prices on a variety of activities- we did the Sunset Cruise on the Caborey boat. Very worthwhile, highly recommended! You can see them turn around from the deck of your resort suite every evening at Sunset.

Resort tips- Wireless internet is only available in a few areas of the resort, and reception was marginal. There is wired internet in all rooms- so bring a LAN cord for your laptop, or ask the concierge for a free one when you are there. Best locations- if you want beachfront request buildings 1-6, and if you want height/view and close proximity to the sky pool- request buildings 19-24 (22-24 are a little better for sunsets).

Overall- this resort made for a fabulous vacation. We hope to return again soon!

• Liked — Room quality, views, staff friendliness, free transport to sister resorts, private deck Jacuzzi!
  • Disliked — Golf cart fumes- not a huge problem, but definitely unpleasant.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
10 Thank vnmystr
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

My husband and I married at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in February of 2007. I highly recommend PBSB and the staff to anyone thinking of marrying in Cabo San Lucas. From the time that I contacted Laura Ortiz (wedding planner) at PBSB to the time of our wedding, the service was impeccable. Laura went out of her way to accomodate all our wishes and to take care of all our wedding needs. Through email, we were able to plan every detail of our wedding with Laura: flowers, food, drink, decorations, music, placecards, etc.
For the wedding, we wanted a colorful "Mad Hatter" cake, so we sent a picture of the cake via email to Laura. She was able to have the exact cake (down to every detail) re-created for our wedding -- it was absolutely beautiful!
Jose Luis Ascensio (Food & Beverage Manager) did a wonderful job making sure that the food was exactly what we wanted and served when we wanted. He had us "taste test" Key Lime Pie Martinis to make sure we liked the recipe before they were served to guests. Ignacio Alcaraz (banquet manager) made sure that our guests wanted for nothing and ensured that the wedding and reception went without a hitch. Hugo Garcio (Wedding Auditor) did a wonderful job of detailing charges and payments so that we were always informed. Laura, Jose Luis, Igancio, and Hugo worked well as a team and helped make a potentially stressful time much more relaxing and fun.
The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and February is a wonderful time to be in Cabo San Lucas. We married in a gazebo on the beach at sunset -- beautiful! It was a wonderful experience -- again, I recommend Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and Laura and her team to anyone considering a destination wedding in Cabo San Lucas!

• Liked — Views of the Ocean, Romantic
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MayaAustinTX
Orange County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

We stayed at PBSB from1/10-1/17. Great service, please note that they won't check you in until 4PM. Check out is 10AM, the latest you could get is 11 AM- otherwise you have to pay $100 to get later time.

We requested crib for our room, service was excellent. We always had a follow up call to check if the items we asked for has arrived. We stayed at building 9 which is perfect location for us since it was within walking distance to main pool. (The lower the building number the closer you are to the beach)
If you have a toddler, I would recommend buildings that are closer to the main pool since they have a shallow pool there. Please note that you might want to arrive early around 9-930 in order to get pool chairs. We arrived one day at 10AM and most of the pool chairs are full.

If you have kids that are around 3-4 years and up, building 17-18 is perfect since it is near kids club and kids pool (equipped with slide, but the water is too deep for my toddler). Plus it is within walking distance to the lobby.

For adults couple, I like building 21-23 (near skypool). The highest building. They have Wi-fi connection there, if not you could always go to Manilla bar near main pool. Great sunset view from Sky pool.

We saw whales from the pool which were amazing. Staffs are friendly - you could always order kids menu from any restaurants except Frida so that helps us alot since this is our first time bringing our 17 months old.

Golf cart service was excellent, short time waiting. There is only 1 time that we have to wait more than 5 min during our 1 week stay.

We only try Bistro (good food for the price) and Lanai restaurant (tried the seabass - not my taste, the seabass at bistro is much better)

Exchange rate in the hotel is great, we regretted exchanging our USD back home since it is better rate.

• Liked — Great service, secluded beach
  • Disliked — Hard to travel by foot (golf cart)
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank pompong
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

This was our first trip to Cabo, so we did some diligent research before selecting our hotel. Overall, our experience at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach was quite nice, however, there are some issues that I think all travelers should be aware of before booking the location.

1. The grounds are beautiful, but not walker friendly. There is a rather unique trail system, populated by golf carts, built to transport guests around the property. We chose to walk with the exception of one cart trip, so I can’t comment on issues like the wait, but I will say as a walker, it was a bit precarious to navigate the walkways with the carts. We often had to stop, move aside, or crunch up against a wall to let them pass. I didn’t experience any issues with the fumes, and as we had a top floor room, the noise was not horrible, but I can see how with a ground floor unit it might be irritating.

2. The timeshare pitches are too aggressive. I had read some reviews prior to our trip, so was prepared for the onslaught. I was not, however, prepared for how rude they were if you indicated you were not interested. As others have said, you receive a coupon for a free drink upon check in that must be validated at the timeshare table, where they pitch you an innocuous “Welcome Breakfast”. This is code for the timeshare presentation. If you decline, be prepared for some pretty preposterous behavior. The woman raised her voice at us and slammed items down on the desk after we politely declined and began to walk away. You will also be approached additional times during your stay, mostly in the dining rooms. I knew in advance this would be an issue, so it certainly didn’t ruin our trip, but it wasn’t the most relaxing thing to encounter.

3. The onsite restaurants are expensive and the food isn’t very good. We ate at La Nao and The Bistro. La Nao was expensive and the food was very mediocre. The Bistro was fairly affordable, but not anything remotely memorable. We didn’t try La Frida.

4. Check your bill VERY carefully. When we reviewed our final bill, we found $175 of charges that were not ours, as well as a “donation” to the hotel’s charity for each night we were there and a mini bar charge assessed just for them to determine if you’d used anything (we hadn’t). Neither of the additional charges were large, and totaled under $10 so we didn’t dispute them. We did dispute the $175 incorrect charge, which took 30 min to resolve at the front desk. I will be carefully watching my credit card statement to ensure the final charge is accurate.

5. The location is remote. There is a shuttle bus which goes to the Rose hotel in downtown, but once you get there, it’s a hike to many of the restaurants. I wouldn’t let this deter me, but it’s just something to be aware of if you’re not a fan of walking.

6. The rooms are a little basic. For a high end hotel, I would expect a bathtub, and our room only had a shower. Also, the towels are old and scratchy, which is a minor issue, but I would expect more for this caliber of hotel.

In spite of the items mentioned above, we had a wonderful trip, and I would potentially return to Sunset Beach. The grounds were beautiful, the beach is lovely, the pools were nice, and everything was immaculately clean. I am a little wary, however, because I feel the hotel is nearing the risk of becoming overbuilt. The place is already huge, and they were building two additional buildings while we were there. I think the charm of the place will rapidly dissipate if they continue to expand. I would recommend Sunset Beach, but advise travelers to be educated as to how the place works to avoid any unpleasant surprises on your trip.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds and scenery, very clean
  • Disliked — Aggressive timeshare pitches
  • Stayed January 2009
6 Thank kelsshep
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

Pueblo Bonita Sunset Beach is by far the best resort we have stayed at. The suites were very clean and the view fantastic. Maid service was excellant. The entire staff was very courteous and polite. We enjoyed all the restuarants and the food was very good. The main pool can get busy and difficult to find lounge chairs, especially on the weekend. Get there before 10:00 am. The golf carts are noisy, however, they are the only way to get around, especially if you stay at one of the higher and remote suites. Don't forget happy hour, a good bargain. The shuttle service to the other Bonita locations is a great way to get there.
When arriving at the airport, do not stop for the "hawkers" trying to sell you a timeshare. They are officially dressed to make you think they are airport help, but they are not. Go directly outside for transportation. The timeshare presentations at the resort are much better and worth listening to.Will definetely stay at other Bonita Resorts.

Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Richard K
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2009

My wife and I stayed for six days, and fell in love with the location. Sunset Beach is a time share location, but it does have a limited number of luxury rooms, and I understand they sell excess condos through third party travel agents. We booked a master suite (without kitchenette) and were very impressed. For two people, it frankly was too big, but very nice and well maintained, and well located on the facility. Other reviews have complained about the lack of available 'golf carts' and extreme waits to move around the property, but we never experienced this. Maybe we were just extremely lucky, but there were over 15 golf carts constantly moving across the property, which was annoying at times, but very efficient. We seldom used them because we enjoyed walking the property and getting the exercise walking up and down the hills.

The staff was courteous and made themselves available 24 hours a day. That being said, this is not a property I would bring small children to because of the golf carts and high ledges/bridges/etc (the resort is built into a hillside).

There are three restaurants located at the resort, with a fourth only a five minute shuttle ride away at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. La Nao, La Frida, and Siempre were fantastic, but The Bistro was not memorable. If you have time, go to Siempre...you won't regret it!

Pueblo Bonito offers free shuttle rides between their resorts (Blanco, Rose, Sunset Beach, and Pacifica), and the main shuttle ride to Rose from Sunset Beach takes about 20 minutes in normal Cabo San Lucas traffic. It was exactly on time every time, and was very convenient. However, the hotel was only at about 50-60 percent capacity, so if it was busier it could be different.

We went horseback riding on the Pacific side on the beach, and my wife had a great time. I was not so impressed because the guide service did not have a saddle that properly fit me (6'2") and therefore I was very uncomfortable to whole trip. The guide allowed us to full out gallop with the horses, which would never happen in the states. Safe: not really, especially for a low experience rider! Fun: Yes, for experienced riders. ATV rides are also a blast.

My wife insists that I rave about the Spa. It was rated in the Top 10 Spas in Latin America last year, and she spent several hours there. She says it was the nicest Spa she has ever been to, and I believe it.

What else can I say...the whales were only a few hundred yards off shore, rays were jumping out of the water, the fishing was phenomenal, the sunsets were beautiful, the weather was PERFECT, the service was great, and we will be returning every year from now on in January.

• Liked — Comfortable
  • Disliked — Golf cart noise
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple