“Very nice resort, but secluded.”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Great view, very relaxing, good service, excellent fitness centre, lots of swimming pools. Shuttle service to Pueblo Bonito Rose (in town) helps those who want some action in the town, and for those who want even more quiet tranquillity, there's a shuttle to Pueblo Bonito Paradiso. Wireless reception is sometimes a bit spotty, especially in the beach side bar. And it would be nice if the store put clear prices on the goods they sell (minor complaint). Big drawback is that you can't swim in the sea or even paddle there (no beach action at all). If you go on promotional tours, note that the one for Mayan Palace features a very hard sell at the end (almost bullying). The promo "gifts" sometimes feature coupons for restaurants, where you put up 25 dollars and get 50 dollars of food. Be careful with these--some of the restaurants are quite far away and expensive to get to, so you don't get to cash in the coupon. Not El Coral, however, which is in town and a good place to eat.

1  Thank johnstoiNanaimo
Write a ReviewReviews (9,746)

Reviewed 20 December 2010

stayed for one week in junior suite. Location is incredible! Because it is built into side of mountain,carts were used to transport you to anywhere you like to go on properity. They must have at least 50 carts-never waited longer than 3 min. sometimes cart was there before I called! Meals at Bistro and La Nao were excellent and reasonably priced. If you wished, you could buy groceries at supermarket or Walmart in town and cook yourself. The grounds are beautifully kept, peacocks,swans,flamingos and exotic birds are thoughout property. The pools are sparkling! I did not include pictures because their website has better ones and that is exactly how it looks!

5  Thank sabrar
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I dont know where to start but My hubby and i with a group of 4 other couples stayed at PBSB and it was so beautiful and relaxing and amazing.
My hubby and I just relaxed, not activities since our trip was for 5 days, which was not enough. The website was nothing compared to the place when we got there. We booked the airport to resort via the website (it was $19 pp one way), the ride was about 40 mins. not too bad. when we arrived, we were blown away. the place was huge, villas built on the mountain, all rooms with ocean view, it was like a moview. this resort took customer service to the next level. the resturants, the rooms, the grounds were impecable. as a guest, you have access to PB Los cabo, Rose and the holistic/zen like resort, the Pacifica. The Pacifica was ;like a giant spa once you walk in. all i can say is nice, amazing, beautiful. we will go back definitely.
The only complaint is timeshare hounds. Be careful at the airport. Folks wil ask for $40 deposit to secure a breakfast seat for timeshare talk. since we were there for a short trip, we decided to go to the PBSB timeshare talk. I think they train all workers on how to sale or sign guest up for the timeshare Pueblo bonitor premier. we did the timeshare talk with PBSB and got $300 credit to use in the resort and 1 free shuttle back to the airport. we have RCI and decided not to buy. they respected our wishes. we went into town, went to the Office, a resturant on the Medano Beach. It was nice but pricy. Use the Trappers list for deals. While chilling at the Pacifica, we got $100 to use towards a spa treatment. my husband and i got the swedish massge for 80 mins for $224-great deal.
All i can say is it has been wonderful short trip. we will definitely go back in a heart beat without any reservations.

To save $$$, they have walmart, costco-which is futher away. you can buy drinks, water, snacks, tea/coffee. you can venture out for lunch or dinner since they have a vibrant night life and the resort have taxi ($10 to 12 bucks to town with 4 people, more than 4,they charge $3pp. always verify the prize before heading out).

Tripadvisor reviews were all on point and helpful. If anyone have anhy questions, please email

5  Thank vaclover33
Reviewed 14 December 2010

This was our third visit to PBSB and I have to say that having been completely spoiled on our first two visits, I had very high expectations for our visit this time. Either my expectations were unrealistic (I'm not convinced that they were) or this resort has lost its way bit. I rented a timeshare through an owner, so we knew we'd be getting a Presidential room. When we arrived, we were indeed allocated a Presidential room in building 41. We were traveling with 3 children aged 4-9 and my mother who is almost 70. Seeing how far away building 41 was from the kids pool and the beach (the two places that we 'live' at while we're there) we asked if there was anything in building 2 or 3, buildings that we'd stayed in on previous visits, or even anywhere remotely close to the beach. We were told that there was nothing else available but if we insisted, we could have a ground floor room in building 2 three days later. We checked out the ground floor room and actually met the occupants as they were coming out. They told us the room got a lot of ants and had a "minor problem with cockroaches"! We decided to stay in building 41 as it seemed like the less stressful option. Our room was on the 4th floor and the view from the balcony was beautiful - the ocean and the pool. I know this next comment might seem very picky and had I never stayed in a Presidential room before, I probably would have been happy with the room. However, these Presidential rooms are definitely smaller! You can't open the master bathroom door and the closet door at the same time because they collide! The kitchen seemed much smaller (although these have granite countertops) and the overall feeling was of it being smaller. I think another reviewer mentioned that the beds were uncomfortable and lumpy - I couldn't agree more! We've always thought that the carts were fun, but when you wait up to 15 minutes for a cart on numerous occasions, even with repeated calls, it gets old really quickly. Building 41 is supposedly a non-smoking building but apparently nobody told that to the folk occupying the next room or the guy that sat down at the tables by the pool smoking each night. While I'm on the subject of smoking, how is it ok to have the kids pool area be a smoke-friendly place? I would understand it at the pool closest to the beach, but around the kids? We did ask the pool staff (when you could find them) if there was anything they could do, but they didn't seem interested and basically told us that's how it's always been. Seems senseless to me, but that's just one person's opinion I guess! The pool staff at the kids pool seemed completely underwhelmed to be there (with the exception of Brander) and at best there were 3 staff serving the kids pool and the adult pool. Happy hour is from 3-4pm there but we couldn't actually get anybody's attention until somewhere around 3:20-3:30 to actually order a drink and the likelihood of getting asked a second time was remote. If the pools were overflowing with people, I could understand that, but at best they were only ever at 75-80% capacity. In fairness, the food was still good and pretty reasonable by the pool. I like to visit the Spa when I'm there, and Joel gave me some great deals during his visits to the pool area each day. He's a great guy and very friendly. I have to admit that the Spa seems to be looking a little 'tired'. Each time I went, the robes that were issued were ripped, only small rips but if you're paying for an experience, then shouldn't it be good from the start? The showers have broken tiles in them and it just felt like nobody cares very much anymore. The staff were very nice and it's still beautiful there, but make the holisitic experience feel good, not just the treatment. Overall, it feels like the resort got too big and this feels like a classic example of sometimes bigger is not always better. Le Nao and the Bistro were still pretty decent and the staff were always very friendly to the children. I'm not sure how I feel about returning again. I feel like this is a romance that's waning......perhaps it's time to take a break, not break-up but definitely take some time to decide how we feel about it. I left feeling a little mixed about our experience this time. I still think it's a beautiful resort, but beauty will only carry this resort so far - without the customer service and attention to detail, it's just another beautiful place in Cabo. Finally, we had groceries delivered by whereincabos.com - service was excellent as usual as was the transportation by Arturo at Translobo. I hope that PBSB finds its way back, it would be a shame to see things continue in their current manner. As I said in my title, it was a visit of things that make you go hmmmm......

2  Thank dte001
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I would agree with most people that this is a beautiful hotel. The food was great but pricey. However, you could not just run out and get something from the restaurant, deli, pool, or lobby etc. You had to call for a golf cart to take you anywhere. There was NOTHING close by to our room. It was not close to town either so if you wanted to go a restaurant you paid a taxi $10-$12 each way. I think their plan was to make their food just high enough in price that it was still cheaper than taking the taxi to and from town and buying food there. We ended up stocking up on food at Walmart. I don't cook much at home and really resented having to do it on vacation but a trip to town for breakfast was out ot the question. The mattress was really lumpy and uncomfortable but the room had a good view ot the ocean. Lobby staff and Concierge were not the most helpful people but cart drivers and cleaning staff were very friendly. We took a City Tour and LaPaz Tour with Gray Lines and we were very satisfied with both. We had a Sunset Cruise on the CaboRey and it was great also.

Reviewed 29 November 2010

The resort is in a beautiful setting and the main building is full of artwork. The cart drivers, bartenders and waitstaff were very friendly. We had three 80 year olds traveling with us, and everyone made sure they were assisted and taken car of everywhere on the resort. The elders felt like rock stars. I loved the thick towels in the rooms and the pools!

4  Thank nandycro
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Beautiful getaway for the family.courteous staff.honest room service housekeepers ,special mention to Ocani who would patiently fix our room everyday considering we have a 15 month old baby who is at a stage of messing up everything in place.
the junior suite is not as extravagant as their business class suites ,but is still very functional knowing that we are outdoors most of the time.
the stove,the microwave plus all their kitchenwares were very useful for our week stay.
we have difficulty trying to find for fresh fish in their markets but we were able to deal with the locals at the town center marina and got to enjoy freshly caught blue marlin and tunas that is within price range 8usd to 10 usd per kilo.
we havent dine in any of the resort restaurant since it's always cheaper to explore for a variety of delectable seafood in their tourist district somewhere near plaza del sol next to their marina.
we ate at a small restaurant called..El Patio that was serving us a 30 usd worth of their dinner entree that consists of a reasonable portion of fillet mignon, lobster,jumbo shrimps,crab cake and chilly sauced mahi mahi fish, already served with 2 drinks of your choice and a side dish of steamed vegetables and comes with tortilla chips in hot salsa as appetizer.
we did not go to any walmart or costco since an hour after we checked in ,i got a grocery delivery that i got form whereincabos.com, it helped me save half of my day shopping and i got everything that i needed from fresh milk to eggs to bottled water,their deivery charge was only 20 usd,good enough that i don't have to pay for any cab or to carry a truckload of grocery items knowing that we had a long trip that day.
the only thing that i did not like is that after we got our room keys,the fromt desk guy has to refer us for the timeshare ladies to stamp our supposedly free complimentary drinks only to ask us for a 20 usd that they will refund after we sit for a half day meeting that comes with a free breakfast..good thing my wife was able to ask the lady to return our 20 bucks back since we are not interested with it at all...
hope the resort can come up with a strategy that they can entice their guests without resorting to a stamping trick like these,it does cheapens the image of their ecclesiastic lobby after all with those timeshare ladies discussing about their free breakfast and discounted coupons catch...
the resort is over all beautiful.the cleanliness is superb,their garden and their pools are well maintained by like a thousand employees that they have.
the prices of their drinks in the pool were considerably acceptable for the kind of ambiance that they offer.if some visitors are complaining about a five dollars drink well then they should consider that they ar gulping their beers in a classy resort.
we brought at times our own drinks and we were never been prohibited to do that so far.
their infinity skypool is simply splendid.imagine basking in their pool by the golden sunset having the best view of the pacific ocean next to you.
as expected at sunset it is always crowded,but in the morning we basically own the pool since we get there by 8 am , the time when the sky pool is usually open.
a walk by the shore next to the resort is picturesque by sunset,big boulders on the right side of the property is a good pictorial background for visitors,although the water is not swimmable at all.
their golf cart is very accesible to any of their resort's ammenities.
their chapel has sunday services at 10:30 which is a plus .
the transportaiton to their sister resort uptown is very useful as well.
if you are looking for a place to stay simply to unwind...rhis resort is highly recommended.
hope i can always go back and enjoy another break.

7  Thank rex31310