“Wonderful”

Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

So relaxing and the water aerobics are great. Nairobi was the instructor
I love playa grande!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jzoppo
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Guests from Grants Pass, Oregon:
You really make us very happy with your lovely comment “Wonderful”
We are so glad to know that you had a great time with us at Playa Grande your home away from home!
Please let us know in advance when you will come back to visit us, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!
We are all very happy to know that your experience with us was a very pleasant one.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
On behalf of my entire staff we want to wish you the best for this coming spring season.
We all send you our best regards.
Sincerely yours.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed at the Playa Grande (PG) from 12/31/11-01/06/12. The property is well represented with regard to its pools, rooms, etc online, thus I won't bore you with reviews of their mixed drinks or how spicy the salsa was.

At check-in we were informed that we would need to change rooms the next day, due to a shuffling of time share owners arriving and a high capacity of current guests. Not a huge problem, but a bit of a pain. Like prior reviews have described, the "pool towel card" dance was comical. A flock of time-share harpees circle the check-in desk to guilt you into attending a presentation. Having already knocked back a bottle of champagne and a few mixed drinks on the drive in from the airport, my spanglish was in its full form.

With regards to time shares- you need to be at least 28-years old, if you're a couple, you need to be married, have a job or at least good credit, etc.

Harpee was not happy when I told her (in spanglish) that my girlfriend and I were only 25-years old (me 35 and her 32), not married, unemployed, filed bankruptcy and were given this trip as a gift. Don't go with the "I don't have time" or "I don't know..", just disqualify yourself with lies and deceit, which is how they would sell you a timeshare anyway. I snatched my two towel cards from her and left her fuming.

Room #1 was great. As stated earlier, the reviews and pics are accurate. Fast forward to day two, moving day. We were told to be ready @ 3pm as we would get our new room assignment. Back to the circus, which is the front desk. In line.....in line.... harpees circling, receiving dagger eyes from my harpee.....finally to the front.

I can't remember who, but Omar and Cesar (both bald) helped me with the room move, sort-of. I received our new room #, but because it was a chain-reaction move, which was like dominoes falling, it required all the guests in all of the rooms involved to be packed & out for the rooms to be turned. If you're still following along, you've figured out where this is going.

"Sir, if you'd like, please wait in your room and I'll contact you when your room is ready." Knowing that any time estimates in Cabo, or in all of Mexico for the most part you multiply by a factor of at least 3 or 3.5, I knew that 15-minutes would easily be 45-60 minutes at a minimum. With by blood alcohol level falling to dangerously low levels, and not looking forward to telling the GF that we had to sit in our room for an unknown period of time while it was a prime pool day, I went back to my room to do my best with the bad news.

4pm, I call the front desk. No new info. 5pm, sober, not happy, I call the front desk. No info. With our bags packed and the door to our room open, I was able to flag down a "management-type" person walking by. We wore a sweater and had been given a walkie-talkie. Management. Sensing my dis-satisfaction, I conveyed our needs and surprise, onto the walkie-talkie he went and within 10-minutes we were in our new room.

At this point the GF is less than happy that its now 6pm, and we've had 4-hours of our vacation time stolen (2pm-6pm. Had to pack up stuff from 2-3pm). She asks sweater manager how they will be making their mistake correct. We knew we had to move and kept up our part of the 3pm deal, but would have partied till 6pm had we known. Sweater manager says we will speak to his manager and to follow up later. We get names of all managers and get back to vacationing.

Day 3- new room is great, pool area great (adult pool that is). No new info from sweater manager, and attempts to contact his manager is like playing whack-a-mole. We get a call in the room from sweater manager's manager, who had received a message that there was some sort of problem and how could she help. Well the GF wrestles and claws a $100 credit from her, which we can apply to our hotel charges upon check-out. The opening offer was $50, but like Cabo, everything is negotiable.

The rest of the trip was great. We snickered when we overheard other guests griping about the rampant practice of juggling rooms, and it was not just limited to non-owner guests like ourselves.

In conclusion.....my PROS and CONS for PG.

PROS:
Location
Condition of property (rooms, pools, etc.)
Adult Pool (lots of kids at upper pools)

CONS:
Moving rooms.
Towel card BS. ***You can go to the Ridge and Grand Solmar properties to use their pools and charge stuff to your room, which they don't tell you and guests there have access to all the towels they need. They just have them laying about.**

Would I stay at the PG again? Probably not. There are just too many other hotels in Cabo of the same caliber, which we have visited without all the work involved.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want to move rooms, or if you do, fight for a voucher for some credit.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank neverenoughtime1
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear guests fromSan Francisco, California :

On behalf of Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa we thank you very much for taking the time to express your experience.

The comments you have made describing the experience you encountered during your stay with us have come to our attention.

We really appreciate the time you are taking to write us with your concern as this will help us improve and we hope you give us an opportunity to demonstrate to you how important your comments are and how seriously we took action.

It will be a great honor if you will choose to visit us again in the near future and a great opportunity to provide you with a better service.

Goodyear, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I loved the location of the hotel! Super close to everything. All the staff members I spoke with were very helpful and friendly. I love, love, loved the entertainment staff! Rodrigo, Mayrobi, Hector, Christina and the others added so much energy and fun to my experience. It would not have been the same without them!! They are all so genuine and inviting that even amongst hundreds of other guests they were able to remember my name and they knew which activities to expect me at!!! I especially love the water aerobics with Mayrobi. I had so much fun!!! Loved everything about this resort and I will surely tell all of my friends about it!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly P
Dear Guests:
You really make us very happy with lovely comment “Everything you need within one resort!!”
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our activities staff.
We all send you our best regards.
Issquah
Reviewed 8 March 2012

First visit to Playa Grande in Cabo & it most certainly won't be the last! Loved most everything about our stay. The one exception would be the Sales Presentation pitches, but, even tho we were welcomed to the resort w/the BIG Pitch, we declined & thankfully, weren't bothered again. We found Maria Santiago at the Concierge Desk to be most helpful. Great smile, very knowledgeable & willing to help w/most anything we asked. She even helped us via phone before we arrived with understanding the shuttle service. Speaking of .. great service they offer .. the shuttle service to & from the airport. Rooms are very clean & well supplied, bed is real comfortable & daily service gals were top notch. Entertainment staff are definitely the highlight! After hesitating, we decided to attend the Mexican Fiesta & we were SO glad we did. It was hilarious! Food is plentiful & good, entertainment is what really makes it a FUN & quality evening. We laughed SO hard. Rodrigo is such a talented individual & has put together a great staff .. Hector, Mayrobi & all the others were just the BEST! We decided to go to the Beach Party only because we wanted to experience the Entertainment Staff once again! Beach with no vendors is truly a plus. Real close walk to Cabo - through the marina, which is beautiful. My only suggestion would be to plan some of your meals ahead so you can eat in the room - food is real expensive at the resort & in town. We ended up going to Wal-Mart to buy food, so we could eat breakfasts & lunches in our room. Way beyond our expectations! We treasure our memories from this vacation & plan to return ASAP!

1 Thank CoveyJS
Dear Guests:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
It was truly our pleasure to serve you. In order to maintain the high standards of service excellence for which we strive, it is very important to listen to every client.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied costumer.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.

Wishing you a world of happiness,

Oceanside, California
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was my first time at this property. I traded my time share week there in a 1 bedroom. It was a nice big room with an ocean view. I think that they all have views. The people were nice the location was convenient, and good food. They offered an all inclusive for about $80. One diner there was almost $300, so the rest of the food and drinks over those 2 days was basically free. It also included the gym and internet. You could walk to Lover's Beach and the marina from the hotel. We saw whales and manta rays out front. Service was friendly. Great time.

1 Thank OB J
Dear Guests from Oceanside, California:

We thank you very much for your comment “Good times” and for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your wedding in Cabo San Lucas.
We are glad that your experience with us was a very pleasant one and we hope that we can be of service to you again soon.
Wishing you a world of happiness we all send you our best regards.
Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Had a great time at the Playa Grande. Its perfectly located . You can have peace and quiet or walk 10 minutes to downtown and the Marina. Two highlights for us was the whale watching from shore. ( Maybe 100 yards out at times) and the Wednesday night Beach Party. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative was the spotty Wi-Fi.

1 Thank sdaddie5
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guests from Wisconsin:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.
We are glad that your experience during your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you had a great time!
We are very pleased to inform you that very soon we will have a very powerful hot spot to provide a high quality WIFI service to all our guests.
For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you.
Hoping to see you again soon we all send you our best regards from Playa Grande and Sunny Cabo San Lucas.

St. Johns
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Again we had the best experience while staying at Playa Grande. This is one of our favorite stays while vacationing in Cabo. This makes our ninth year of staying in Cabo. Already planning on returning next year. The bell boys and maids are top notched. Swim up bar in pool should be different than where small children swim also. There should be some separtation. Favorite bell boy was Jesus. He goes way beyond our expectations.

Room Tip: Fixed Time Share, higher floor, only big enough to handle majority of years by those that use it the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Mike from St. Johns:

Thank you for your nice comments and for staying at Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your ninth year!

As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is the word of mouth from our satisfied customers.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with our Bell Boys, Maids and especially Jesus.

Hoping to see you again soon we send you our best regards from always Sunny Cabo San Lucas.