This place is awesome! Stayed a week during Sept 2011. We were given a room in the Ridge section. Had a 1 bedroom that fit 4 adults with more than enough room. it had 2 full bathrooms, 1 bedroom (king), murphy wall pull out bed in the living room (full) and a secret third bed located in a sneaky cabinet next to the limited cable tv (twin) so really could have fit 1 more adult in there. Full kitchen with utenzils and pots/pan/cups/paper towels...pretty much anything you needed - stove, microwave...very cold freezer and fridge.
Patio outside with one long sofa, 2 comfy chairs and a table faced a pretty view of the Marina. Ridge is close to the main street, which makes walking 10 mins to dinner in the Marina very easy. If you are staying in the main part of the hotel, I think it would take you 20-30 mins just to get off the hotel grounds and on the street. Luckily, if you are at the Ridge, they have a short cut back stairway/elevator that takes you right to the street. Look out for the closing times on the back door. I believe it gets locked at midnight or so...If you arrive after, you have to trek all the way up the long drive to the main entrance. Ridge has awesome pools with slides and 2 infinity, plus hot tubs. It may have been the time of year, but it seemed the hotel capacity was just right. Not too crowded, but not a ghost town either. At times, we were alone in all three or four of pools. Really nice combination of folks. Not a party hardy drunk college crowd scene at all while we were there. Had some families with kids, but mostly fun loving, sun seeking crowd. Had 2 for 1 happy hour specials, which included Sushi that tasted pretty good. Drinks were a hit or miss. Sometimes hell on wheels and other times watered down slushies. Tip you bartender well, and you mostly got the former.
Hotel grounds are extensive! Huge, but no map. I wanted to find all the pools to give them a test drive, but alas, no maps at the front desk??? Who doesn't have maps of their property?We ended up just wondering a little trying to find all the amenities. Beautiful, manicured grounds with flowers, trees and Koi pond. White sand, clean - no swimming, but so peaceful to walk the beach and not be harrassed every second to buy soemthing. We only tried their fancy schmancy resturarant on site. Right on the water. Gorgeous views. Food was good, not the best I had, but good. What made it wonderful were the waiters and the chef, who kept sending us complimentary tastings - try the fresh shrimps...try this salsa...how fun! You are paying for the service and view, here...not so much the food. They had a little coffee/expresso cart just outside the doors leading from the reception into the main hotel space. Iced chai tea was not good. Iced mochas were decent. They have a little market on site, but quite pricey. Ok for chips and candies, but I don't recommend buying any canned food products. Bought a can of spam. When we opened it, a greyish greenish surprise it was. Yuck! Quickly brought it back, but they could not refund me because I did not have the receipt. Took some pressure and several calls to the hotel managers (everytime I called, it was a different one?), but I finally got my $5.25 refunded back to me on the last day at checkout. It should not have been that difficult to refund me the price of a moldy can of luncheon meat, but it was like pulling teeth. They had to go through all the receipts until they found mine. Had to give them a list of what I bought so they could identify my reciept: SPAM, Kettle Chips, Chips Ahoy...Really? At one point, I was going to tell them to forget about it, but then it was the principle of the whole thing - I shouldn't have to pay for a grossed out can of spam. And to tell you the truth, I believe they were hoping I'd forget about it. It wasn't until I showed the manager I had taken pictures of said moldy spam that they really double timed it to find my reciept for the refund. That was the only blunder in the stay.
They have a time share person who hands out the pool towel cards. Upon check in, they called our room several times to "pick up" our pool towels cards. They are trying to lure you in for a time share presentation. We came, got our cards, she started her spiel and my cousin held up her hand and said: "Look, we are not interested in timeshare and frankly we don't want to hear another word about it." That was that. No one in our party was approached after that.
Service was top notch. Valets were able to get us taxis and a fair price to where ever we needed to go. They even unloaded and brought up our Costco run supplies in a huge bin...we were wondering how were going to get all those cases of beer back to the room :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Baja California's most exclusive and private Beach, along the Pacific Ocean side and a few steps from the Land's End and the famous natural arch, this charming, Mexican hacienda style all suite resort sits on eight acres of beach, only a few steps from the sparkling Pacific Ocean and a few minutes’ walking to downtown Cabo. This is a dramatic setting to relax and enjoy your dream vacation under the sun. If it’s shopping, fine dining and nightlife you’re looking for, downtown Cabo San Lucas is just a short stroll away. And if you’d really like to reward yourself, the world class Grand Spa will be waiting with a full range of luxuries that will nurture your body and soul. The Playa Grande Resort features all suites with private balconies, kitchens or kitchenettes, and distinctive touches such as marble floors, granite counter tops and hand crafted furniture and decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HRS, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Playa Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Grande Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Mexico