“Relaxing and Amazing Vacation”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Relaxing and Amazing Vacation”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was my and my husband's first time in Cabo San Lucas, and we originally booked this trip as part of a Living Social Deal. We had all-inclusive reservations at the sister resort, the Grand Solmar, but upon arrival on June 2, the management let us know that we were being upgraded to the Playa Grande. They could not have been more helpful and accommodating - the manager himself escorted us to the new hotel and made sure that we received the same all-inclusive rate from the Solmar (the Playa Grande is more expensive for their all-inclusive), as well as making sure that we got the same room rate for the extra night we had booked. We did not pay a penny extra for the upgrade, which was such a nice surprise! Next, we get to our room, a junior suite with a beautiful ocean view. The room was amazing. California king bed, separate sitting area, kitchenette and spacious bathroom. We also had a balcony overlooking the four hotel pools as well as the Pacific. What proceeded to follow were four and 1/2 days of relaxation and rest, while being waited on by an attentive and extremely helpful staff. The Playa Grande offered theme nights, at which the entertainment staff was top-notch. My favorite was the beach party night. My husband and I had so much fun getting to know other guests and sampling the delicious food (and beverages!). It was an easy 10 minute walk to downtown Cabo from the hotel, which made for our one adventure off the resort. Otherwise, we had little interest in venturing off the property, as there was always good food and good drinks, all included! We would definitely make a return trip in the future, and I will always recommend the Playa Grande to my friends! Just note: the time share speeches at the airport are EVERYWHERE, make sure once you get your luggage, you head straight outside. Don't let them stop you!

Room Tip: Spring for the junior suite. The view and balcony alone are worth it!
1 Thank Allie987
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Allie

On behalf of all my staff i am delighted that your experience with us was a pelasant one; and that you have the opportunity to enjoy all our facilities. We are glad that you like the experience since the very beginning, from the room with the ocean view, and also enjoyed our theme nights were or entertainment staff always bring their best.

It is always great to hear that people decide to stay most of their vacation time at our resort without going into downtown. I am again satisfied that you like the quality of our food and drinks, our restaurants, bars, entertainment and activities.

Thank you again for your recommendation, we hope you come back in the future....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Turkish first
Austin
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We own here at Playa Grande and have loved coming since 2002. The hotel is kept clean and updated! Everyone is friendly and helpful. 11 years later and we still see the same people, which makes us feel at home! We absolutely LOVE the entertainment staff-especially Roberto! He is awesome and really makes the night fun! We especially love Mexican fiesta night! We love that it is located within walking distance to nightlife, restaurants and shopping! Each year we look forward to coming to Cabo!

• Stayed June 2013
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2013
Dear Irhill

On behalf of all our staff, we want to say thank you for your comments. It is a real pleasure to welcome back people that have been staying for years with us. As in any company, it speaks well to see the same faces year after year. I can tell you that all our staff members love what they do. I will share your comments with all of them specially Roberto from the entertainment staff.

We will love to welcome you back for another year, and make you feel at home.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed at Playa Grande for the first time this summer and absolutely loved it. The rooms and views are gorgeous and the staff are wonderful.

Miguel and Luis took great care of us by the pool! :) Much appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Christy

I want to thank you for staying with us, and i am delighted to read that your first experience with us was a pleasant one. I will share with our staff that you like our rooms, views and everything in general; specially with Miguel and Luis Alberto who did an amazing job for you at the pool.

We hope to welcome you back for a second time to our resort.

Perris, California
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My husband and I own at Playa Grande, we chose to return every-other year just to enjoy some variety. We purchased in 2005 and are happy to say they continue to update and maintain the resort. This year was the first year we chose to do the all-inclusive meal plan and we are so glad we did. The food was fabulous, the drinks were great and the entertainment was wonderful. The staff is superb. We loved the entertainment staff when we came in 2011 and most of them are still there. However this year we got to know them a better. They are fabulous. Hector is a great dancer and entertainer, Roberto is a funny and wonderful MC, Victor is great at getting people involved. We loved the Fiesta night and Beach night. The Asian night show was good too. The servers and managers at the Calima & the Brigatine were wonderful too. Maurcio bent over backwards to help us. Luis & Victor were wonderful and Victor made an extra effort to remember our first names and greet us each time we ate there. Jonathan (Brigatine) made an extra run to get my husband his beloved shrimp. We felt like we were leaving long time friends when we headed home and we are very much looking forward to returning in 2015. We highly recommend this resort it is very close to town for shopping, and nightlife.

1 Thank Tammy P
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Tammy

On behalf of the staff of our hotel, we thank you for your kind words about our food, drinks and entertainment in general. I am glad you did the meal plan and enjoyed this. It is truth we are updating our resort with new towels, new lounge chairs, and many more things to come. I will share with Roberto, Hector, Victor, Luis, Jonathan, Captain Mauricio and all the servers and managers from our restaurants you comments. I am delighted to hear that they all do an extra efford to serve you.

We hope you change your mind and can be with us before 2015!; we are here for you and we will be happy to assist you again.
River Vale, NJ
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The resort is beautiful and welcoming, with easy access to the marina and other activities in town. We spent one dollar and caught a local bus to the Mega store and bought some groceries that lasted us the hole time, with some left overs which we shared with the awesome, "I mean awesome" entertainment staff. I remember Hector and Roberto from a previous trip and we played ping pong just about every day. They both had great games and wasn't shy in showing their talent. The ladies of the entertainment staff were also helpful, friendly and made sure everyone was having a good time.

The food and service was good which aloud us the option to stay at the pool side and enjoy the sights and sounds of the resort and ocean.

Room Tip: Ask for room close to lobby if available just to decrease the walk after a long day.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Keith

On behalf of all the staff, we want to thank you for your nice comments regarding your most recent stay with us. What is very important to me, is that you come back and still have the same feeling about our resort, being beautiful and welcoming as you mention; we really are here for you. I will share your comments with the entertainment staff, Roberto, Rodrigo, Hector, MAyrobi, Cristina, Miriam and of course with everyone else that assist you while being here with us. I am glad you decide to stay lot of times at pool side to enjoy our food and drinks.

We will be honor to welcome you back once more to our resort, and let us pamper you as you deserve.

Sincerely, .
Dublin, California
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I felt extremely lucky to be included in a girls' week with a friend who treated all of us to this fabulous resort. I'd heard of it before; it's one of the largest and best-known properties in Cabo. Playa Grande is very deserving of its great reputation. I found the quality of this place outstanding, the service exceptional, and all of the staff members were friendly and helpful. My friends and I walked into town several times, but our best memories, and by far the best food, happened poolside at Playa Grande. We were surprised to pay our bill on the last day and discover it was easily half what we expected it to be - this place is affordable. Two for one drinks were offered every afternoon, and we often shared a large plate of fish tacos or a steak fajita (two of our poolside favorites). The resort does have a minimum 3-day all-inclusive option, but if you're on a budget, you might be better off (as we were) ordering a meal or two and sharing.

I wish I had given tips to our housekeepers. Four or five dollars a day left on the bed would have been appropriate; it seems to be the recommended amount for their efforts (and housekeeping really did a sensational job). I always visit my bank before leaving and grab forty dollars' worth of one-dollar bills and a few five-dollar bills. Make it part of your budget and try not to bring any of it home; housekeepers work so very hard in Cabo and are every bit as deserving as food service staff.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear ARH Miller

When someone says that our resort is very deserving of its great reputation, it is something we treasure, and wants to share with eevrbody. It make us feel proud of the job we are doing, and give us the strenght we need to go for more.
Our general feeling is that everybody that stays with bus really deserve to have exceptional service, with amazing drinks and unforgettable breakfast, lunch and dinners.
Thank you also for your comments about our dear housekeepings, who really work every day with an honest and sincere smile.

We would be honored to have you visit once again, and allow us to provide with an even better service.
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Playa Grande last week and I can't wait to go back! We did the all-inclusive which was well worth it for us- especially if you use the gym and wifi. The food was excellent and the margaritas were perfect!! I had a daily routine of tortilla chips with guacamole, pico de gallo and a margarita at the pool and I am already missing it! The location was wonderful - right on the ocean with huge crashing waves. It's just a short walk to the marina and shops. It was also just a short walk for us to the el arco area which was beyond beautiful!!! There were goegeous beaches near it that we had to do a bit of mild rock climbing (in flip flops) to get to but well worth it! For gym people like us, I have to say that the gym was great! I went every morning for weight lifting and cardio and it had everything I needed and was very clean - One of the best hotel gyms I've seen. Another great thing about Playa Grande is that they have a photographer at the hotel that does free family portraits on the beach and you are not obligated to buy if you don't like the pics. Great idea! There was also a place at the pool to paint your own pottery and beautiful wooden bowls which I enjoyed and it would be great for kids too. Can't say enough good things about my experience at Playa Grande. Already planning a trip for next year!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Fransh01
Dear Fran

I am glad to hear that you have such a good time while staying with us, and that you have the opportunity to enjoy our meal plan package that you can all get at the check in time. We maintain the quality of the food and beverages, that is why a lot of people is choosing to adquire this plan on site. We indeed have the best location, a private beach, a well equipment gym, and amazing rooms.

We all thank you for your nice comments, and we really hope to welcome you back again to our resort on your next trip.