“Viridiana is wonderful!”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #18 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have been owners on The Ridge at Playa Grande for about 8 years-our son has been at Kids Camp for many, many years. Besides being a great resort with a great location-the employees are wonderful. Viridiana has been in charge of the Kids Camp and she is great, my son and nephew look forward to seeing her every year! We have been there on quiet weeks when it has been only the 2 of them in camp, and this year at Thanksgiving and even though it was crowded they had an awesome time. Highly recommend the resort and look forward to seeing Viridiana next year!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Susan,
Thank you for your lovely review, It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I´m glad you enjoyed your time with us.
Your comments will share with pleasure with Viridiana who I’m sure will be happy to know that you remember her.
We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Playa Grande Resort

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We have been coming to Playa Grand for the past 13 years because we have timeshare here. In the past 13 years we have seen the best and the worst. This year we decided to trade our week for a later week in December due to conflict in our schedule. We found the noise level around the pool area to be unacceptable due to various maintenance and construction projects going on around the ground during prime time hours. We enjoy coming here to get away from our hectic and everyday life in hoping for a little quiet relaxing time. The food used to be good and authentic and we liked the choices and variety the menu had to offer and to our surprise it had changed. The food is kind of bland and not seasoning very well. Ceviche was my favorite and now it's bland. Poor wifi connection, I hope we are not charged for poor connection. One good thing that has not changed is the service staff. They do great job of accommodating the guests and work very hard.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaye C
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Kaye C,
I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations on this visit. I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future.
We appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback helps us to constantly strive for excellence.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We have a timeshare and go to Playa Grande every year. We go the same time/same room-a penthouse right on the Pacific. We love this location because the Pacific side is quieter than the Sea of Cortez side. We also love to be able to walk into town. We no longer rent a car. There are great nearby restaurants.
They are trying to get more activity in their restaurants and are doing a good job. There is food is good and their servers are great-very friendly and accommodating.
Definitely would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for P building if you like to te on the water. If you are in "P" building, you will ha...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EKS0577

Dear Guest,
Hi. Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I love reading the experiences of our guests, and yours is no exception.
I am agree that our property offers a great location and everything is nearby.
Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

As an owner here, I have been coming for several years. Although the location is excellent the customer service is poor. I was charged $4 usd per minute to make a toll free call to a Mexican number to check on my lost luggage. I only was handed a printed copy of their phone charges the next morning when I was presented with a $106 US dollars accounting of my charges to date. When I tried to explain to Adrian the manager about my plight, having no clothes or toiletries, he actually laughed and then told me it wasn't their fault my luggage was lost and they shouldn't have to pay the cost of my call. While I agree that they are not responsible for my situation, I reasoned that I was simply trying to call what I thought was a toll free number. He offered to take 30% off. Then he reneged on that saying since I was upset with the lack of customer service I could pay the whole amount.
Too bad for Playa Grande. I will make full use of the lovely location. However, I will send every penny elsewhere. We had planned to have massages at the spa as we have done before but I will be checking out the massages on medano by Sand Bar per other TA user reviews. No drinks or food by the pool for us and we canceled the reservation for the breakfast buffet ( presentation) as I refuse to consider purchasing anything else from this group. Lots of other places out there! Good Customer service would be writing off a $106 (outrageous) phone charge in order to make a return customer less upset in an already stressful situation thereby ensuring their repeat business not upsetting them further and in the process losing future business.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank jenandcody

Dear jenandcody
I wanted to offer my apologies for your experience with us. I have discussed your concerns with the appropriate employees, and I can assure you that these issues won´t occur again.
I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you´re accommodated in everything you desire.
Please if you have any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

During a recent week in Cabo, we needed to spend our first night at an alternate location. We chose the Playa Grande, and were very pleased with our stay. If there is a downside, it is that some of their rooms are older and the decor is showing it's age. The staff, location and facilities are outstanding. They have a mile of private beach, with NO vendors.

One of our couples had trouble with their door lock, and were upgraded to a two room suite at 11:00 p.m., upon returning from dinner. The staff couldn't have been more helpful or understanding.

This is a timeshare-based hotel, so you'll be "asked" to go through a breakfast meeting and tour. For those of you who are not interested in the least, simply be assertive and decline the offer.

Room Tip: Pick rooms that are above the 2nd floor, and on the north wings.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lyle H
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Lyle,
Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you had a great time I love reading the experiences of our guests.
We appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms.
We look forward to hearing from you in the near future
Cordially

Reviewed 8 December 2013

So, the reason we stayed at Playa Grande was because the last time we were in Cabo (Feb 2012) we got suckered into a time share presentation at the airport. At the time, we were staying at RIU Santa Fe. We went through the presentation, and in the end, turned down every deal except for the exit offer - which was one week back at the Playa Grande. We bought it!

We had two years to use it. Boy, did that two years fly by! But we got the trip in. As part of the trip, we had to go through the time share presentation again. Start to finish (including an awesome brunch) was 3 hours. Really, it is no big deal! Some of the reviews are saying how pushy the sales reps are. Yes, they are pushy, but just say no people! And drink all the beer you can while in the presentation!

From the start, our experience was great. We are 30 years old, and it was an older crew at Playa, but it was truly a fab trip. Beautiful beautiful resort, clean rooms, and friendly employees. The foods is priced very well, much less than the Bahamas, which was our last trip. Beers are 2 for 1 at the pool, and all the dinners were well priced. We got free internet and gym while we were there - super awesome. This was the best vacation I've ever been on.

On day one, we went to Wal-mart to shop. We decided not to do their all-inclusive package, which would have been $91 per person, per day. Now, I did the math, we only saved $200 by not doing the all-inclusive when we tallied up everything else we did instead, but I also saved myself a lot of calories!! I always overeat at al-inclusives, and feel worse when I return from Vacay.

Not doing the all-inclusive forced us off the resort. We tried some awesome restaurants - Maro's (two lobster tails, plate of shrimp for $17!), Captain Tony's, Puerto San Lucas, Hacienda El Coyote (best enchiladas EVER!), Tiki Bar, Giggling Marlin, and the fabulous Buccaneer Queen sunset cruise. We also did a glass bottom boat ride, which may look like a cheap boat ride, but we had an awesome tour guide who made it one of our favorite things to do!!! One night we did do the party at the hotel. It was Asian night, which was super fun. Three hours of open bar, all you can eat deliciousness, and entertainment. Great price, too.

While at the Marina, we almost got suckered into yet another time share presentation (too much to drink!) When I later researched their property, found out it sucked!! We are luck to have gotten the Playa Grande presentation. It seems like everyone has a timeshare to sell, but I am glad that we found Playa. You don't need to be an owner to be a guest here. Over all, this place rocked. My husband and I had a GREAT time!! Oh, and definitely get a back massage while there at their spa. I got one on the beach, WHAT an experience!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephanie G

Dear Stephanie,
What a delightful review to read. Thank you so much for sharing such lovely comments. Our staff do indeed love what they do and this in turn allows us to provide a friendly, professional service at all times. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed our relaxing spa experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon.
Cordially

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We basically picked this resort after reading other peoples reviews on Trip Advisor. Well, my fellow travelers....You got it right! This resort was beautiful, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. Our screen door came off the track and one of the toilets clogged. Maintainence fixed everything right away. The maid service was a nice touch. Other timeshare locations we have been too do not always offer this amenity.
The food by pool was very good & the 2 for 1 daily drink specials are not to be missed! The pool staff kept us busy with water games, water arobics and bingo. Not to worry they didn't keep us that busy we had plenty of time to relax and enjoy.
We were at this resort over the Thanksgiving week. The resort offered a very nice Thanksgiving buffet by the beach with Mexican style entertainment. $35 for adults, 12 and under 50% off. The entertainment was a lot of fun. A very different Thanksgiving then your use too but we would definately do it again!
My only gripe would be the poor interent connection that you have to pay for if you are not a timeshare owner at this resort. You also have to pay for the gym & mini gold if you are not an owner at this resort.

Room Tip: As for a room close to the beach.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank AM M

Dear AM,
We enjoyed reading your wonderful review, Glad you had a great time at our Thanksgiving Dinner and I´m delighted that you were able to spend time to relax & enjoyed.
We appreciate your feedback regarding the internet access, I would like to inform you we are at the moment looking for another options to increase our band. We will be working on this.
Hoping to see you again soon.