“Beautiful place in great location ... but internet service lacking”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My husband I stayed here for a week in April 2014.

Despite being seasoned travellers and reading all of the warnings, my husband was conned in by the timeshare people at the airport - the same thing happened to me last year. They are just so good! They make you think that they are there to tranport you to your resort or part of tourism Cabo. If this happens to you, just walk away as we have found them to always be respectful and polite.

This was our 3rd trip to Cabo in 2 years. What we love is that the resorts and area are very upscale, and that you feel safe on the resorts and when you are out and about - and we venture out a lot to restaurants, for shopping, etc. Also, the scenery in Cabo is breathtaking.

The weather in April was beautiful - very warm and sunny every day of our stay.

Positives about Playa Grande:
- Location, location ... it is within walking distance to the marina where there are loads and loads of restaurants, nightlife and shopping (Luxury Avenue mall).
- Check-in and check-out was easy (we were not offered any upgrades).
- Staff are well-trained, friendly and helpful.
- Units are large and spotless, although furnishings were nothing over the top. We had a studio unit overlooking the pool area/ocean.
- Grounds are beautiful and well maintained.
- There are multiple pools, including an adults only pool. Although the adult pool is close to the activity pool, you cannot hear the noise when sitting around the adult pool (I found it very zen!). We were lucky to get a pass to the ridge pool which is stunning. However, after the first day we gave up on this pool as the residents have first dibs on the chairs and we could never find seating - although later in the day there were some chairs available.
- There is a lovely, full-service spa on-site and worth a visit.
- There are multiple restaurants on-site and our favourite was Brigantine - what a view of the ocean sitting here for breakfast, lunch or dinner and the food, service and price was great.
- Although we didn't attend, we did see lots of people enjoying themselves at the outdoor themed events that were offered nightly. I think it was $40 US per person for all you could eat/drink if you did not have the all-inclusive package. I saw the staff working all day in the heat to set up these events and the decorations were elaborate and beautiful.
- The beach is magnificent! I go to Cabo to watch the waves crashing and this time around we got to see some whales - what a treat that was.

Now, some not so good things:

- Internet is the WORST!!! The management really needs to sort this out!!! I don't go on vacation to surf the net, but I do need to stay connected because of elderly parents back home. We even consulted staff in the Internet cafe who gave us a "secret code" to improve the connection - but it didn't.
- The lobby is dedicated to the timeshare people, so seating is very limited. All of the other timeshares I have stayed at have a separate area for them, away from the main lobby.

Overall, we would definitely consider a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear ElaineO556,
Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review, which help all the community to make the right decision when it comes to choosing the ideal resort for your vacation. It’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service. I am sure that your feedback will serve as an encouragement to our team, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for all your kind comments, we are looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us.
Cordially,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,980)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We chose the Playa Grande after reviewing numerous hotels in Cabo and we're glad we did considering it's proximity to the marina and downtown area. As we had two small children we ultimately chose the Luxury Suite due to it's separate master bedroom and bath and full kitchen. The kids slept on the Queen sleeper sofa in the living room so mommy and daddy could rest in the comfort of our own room.

The kitchen was indeed a full kitchen with everything you would need. We bought groceries at WalMart on the way in from the airport and cooked breakfast in the room every morning we were there (we did NOT opt for the all-inclusive package - more on that later). We ate lunch and dinner either at the hotel or outside in Cabo.

Everyone was friendly and overall service was good. You do have to talk to the timeshare sales-ladies in the lobby in order to get your towel cards but just politely decline any invitations to listen to their presentations and you will get your towel cards. The marina and downtown are a sweltering 10-20 minute walk from the hotel depending on your walking speed. Had I been on my own I would have walked everywhere but with wife and kids we ended up using overpriced taxis quite a bit.

Upon retrospect we believe the all-inclusive package could be a good deal if you drink and eat a lot. But quite honestly we were not that impressed with the quality of the food - it ranged from below-average to merely good. Nothing great or overwhelming and their drinks are fairly watered down. We were happier being able to experience restaurants outside of the resort in town and elsewhere. Also, the service at the restaurants is quite slow, even when they weren't crowded or busy. Food took a long time to get to the table and for some reason getting your check took forever - I'm not kidding, one night it literally took 15 minutes to get our check.

The kids loved the pools and swam in them every day, they have three different pools to choose from and a large set of hot tubs. But the pools could have definitely been cleaner - I question how often they checked the chem levels and cleaned them properly, especially considering the vast number of guests slathered with sunscreen and kids going in and out of the pools all day.

Overall, big points for convenience and access to the rest of Cabo and overall great looking resort. Negative points for average food quality, occasionally slow service, and yes the pools probably could have been a little cleaner. But we would be fine staying here again, the room was very nice and we enjoyed our time here. Great place for families.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank swizstick

Dear Swizstick,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I do want to ensure you that all your comments will be follow up to avoid any lowering of our standards or inconveniences for our guests in the future.
Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Love this place. Location is the best. On the Pacific & very near the Sea of Cortez. Beautiful views from the Ridge. the staff at The Ridge Restaurant & Bar have a great sense of humor, lots of fun while providing great service. Can't wait until next year!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Judy D,
Thank you for your kind words, I agree that our property offers a Great location and our staff does the best to provide a friendly and professional service all the time.
We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just got back from a week at Playa Grande in Cabo San Lucas. Overall, this is a great property. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite from a Junior suite. We asked for a pass to "The Ridge" and were at first told that wasn't possible. Then as we were leaving the front desk, the clerk handed us a pass. Let me tell you this, without that pass, this would have been one of our worst experiences. Why? Because the adults only pool is being refinished and that meant a jackhammer from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. Our room was right above the pool which made sitting on the balcony and reading impossible. This noise was also very loud when just sitting at the other pools. The only escape was to go up to The Ridge. When we checked out, I asked if anyone was there that could consider some sort of credit for what we experienced. I was told no. I guess they felt the pass to The Ridge was compensation enough.
The food we had at the pool and the Ridge Restaurant was wonderful. No complaints there.
The property is within walking distance to the Marina but a little too far to walk to downtown, especially in the daytime sun and heat. And much too far to walk to the beach activities and swimming (did I mention the Playa Grande's beach is much too dangerous to go in? Overall, until the adults pool is done with their refinishing project, I wouldn't stay here without a guarantee of access to The Ridge.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool area until refinishing project is done.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bart K

Dear Bart K
I want to thank you for taking the time to write your experiences regarding your recent stay. Our guests’ comments give us important feedback on our performance and provide us with great ideas on how to improve our service.
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your experiences with us here in our hotel. I am very sorry about the noise issues you have experienced.
Thank you again for you valuable remarks and we hope to welcome you back in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My family stayed here for a major family vacation, in two units. It was my first time vacationing in Mexico for an extended stay (we were there a week.) Overall we found the experience to be great. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurants was good...though we fixed many of our meals in the room and ate at 'outside' restaurants. When we had minor issues with the room (water stopped at one point, one of the a/c controls didn't work, the maintenance responded quickly and efficiently!

The pools were great. Our little one loved the water slide! The swim up bar was convenient and fast and the 2-4 two-for-one cocktail our was...well utilized.

The resort is close to the marina and a wide range of restaurants. You are easy taxi distance to an even greater range of options.

Major downside is that, as noted by others, the ocean in front of the resort is dangerous and unswimable. But an easy water taxi ride takes you to the opposite side of the town with better beaches (and lots more venders!) Wifi was also somewhat erratic and limited.

One other point, the shuttle/taxi arrangements to the airport are not cheap. As we had several members of our party arriving and departing at various times, we rented a car form Alamo in the resort. This turned out to be very easy, driving to and from the airport took about 30-40 minutes each way, but it is a direct route. We saved money and time pressure doing this.

Overall the entire family had a great time!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Diplokeith
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I do want to ensure you that all your comments will be follow up to avoid any lowering of our standards or inconveniences for our guests in the future.
Our goal is to provide every guest a beautiful and memorable vacation throughout great service and devotion towards our guests.
I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Playa Grande is a beautiful resort with many amenities; HOWEVER, it has become crystal clear that is was not a good choice to buy as a timeshare. We were promised so many things such as "maintenance fees haven't gone up in years!", "the units are cared for impeccably" etc. etc. My maintenance fee has almost DOUBLED in 7 years, am paying upwards of $1200/year, not only that, there have been so many problems and maintenance on the unit has been awful!!!! So many things in disrepair, kitchen not well stocked, dishes are not microwave safe, no music provided in the unit unless you request a stereo. I could rent my unit for the same amount or less than I pay in maintenance fees. BUYER BEWARE, THEY ARE LYING STRAIGHT TO YOUR FACE ABOUT MAINTENANCE FEES. IF YOU ARE AN OWNER CONTACT ME, WE ARE PUTTING TOGETHER A BUYERS REMORSE CLUB SO WE CAN GET MORE ACTION WITH REGARD TO THE DEVELOPER AND MANAGEMENT. THEY BRING IN MILLIONS OF DOLLARS A YEAR JUST IN MAINTENANCE FEES, THAT'S HOW THEY BUILT THE PROPERTY DOWN THE BEACH. DON'T BUY TIMESHARES HERE, YOU WILL BE SORRY!

Room Tip: I have a week at the Penthouse on The Ridge and construction is usually starting around 6 a.m., we c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank CopperPenny33
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Grand Solmar since we traded in, but spent most of our time at the Playa Grande for the Beach Party and Boogie Nights! Outstanding food, entertainment, and drinks galore! We plan to return as we met and made some friends during the events! We also used the gym and ate at the restaurant in the lobby and the food was delicious.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Eliza626,
Thank you for your lovely review. It sounds like you really had a wonderful time.
I agree that our entertainment staff is amazing they indeed love what they do and this in turn allows us to provide a friendly, professional service at all times.
I´m glad that your experience with us was pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.