“"Serenity"”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“"Serenity"”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from our yearly vacation at Playa Grande and it was without a doubt one of the most relaxing two weeks we have had. This past year had been very stressful and this trip was well needed. We reserved our arrival through the concierge to avoid the timeshare shuffle and it worked out perfect. Since we started vacationing here well over 10 years we have come to get to know the staff and are more than pleased to see familiar faces once we arrive. Like always as you get out of the car you are welcomed home with a genuine smile from all the staff that remember you by name. Over the years we have also grown to appreciate all they do for you as a guest in their resort. Lets start by saying that whatever they can do to help you out they do. Samuel, Daniel, Alex, Jesus, Andres, Manuel and the rest of the bell boys deserve a shout out. We have come to think of them just like family. Dulce Lopez at the hostess desk is also one of the nicest person I have ever met. The friendly manner that we receive is what keeps us coming back to our home away from home. We just got back home and already are making plans for our next years visit to Playa Grande. Simply put this place is a gem.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lambaren3
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Lambaren3,
Thank you very much for such a positive review, especially for your kind comments about the great service provided by our staff, it's a true pleasure to know that your overall experience with us was enjoyable and met your expectations. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day.
We are looking forward to host you again at your home away from home.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,166)
  • Turkish first
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife and I are owners at this time share / reservation hotspot. We have made it a point to travel there from San Francisco annually in August. The accommodations are superb. The on site restaurants are varied cuisine and great. The views and personnel are more than one could anticipate. The attendant Israel in the Ridge bar / restaurant is about as nice a guy providing great service that a person could ask. And Fernando in the Lobby Bar was just as friendly also providing a level of service and pleasantry that is seldom seen these days south of the border. These individuals along with others, the accommodation, views, and food make this a must for us to visit year in and year out.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank_Wentraveler
Dear Frank_Wentraveler,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we highly value your loyalty as a returning guest and it’s always nice to know we have met your expectations with our outstanding service. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day.
I am glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and really look forward to keep welcoming you for many years to come. Best wishes from all of us here at Playa Grande.
Sincerely
Corona, California
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The resort was great, rooms were very spacious and staff were very friendly. Walking distance to the marina (10-15 min). We didnt purchase the meal plan ($90 per day per person w/ min 3 day purchase) however after thinking about it, it prob was a good deal, since that alone was our drink tab every day. Be aware that they will hit your HARD on their sales pitch to go to the timeshare presentation by enticing you with "free" activities. They tell you its ONLY 90 minutes of your day, we got suckered and it was 3 hours. If one sales guys couldnt sell you they'd turn us over to the next closer, and the next, when it was all said and done, we had gone through 4 different people. They ended up pissing us so bad that finally we had to walk away from them. After my husband told the manager he was a sales person himself and that there was nothing they could say or do to sell us on a timeshare, they basically told us to find our way back, when we asked about our vouchers for the activities they promised, they gave us the run around and took an arm and a leg to get the vouchers, and we also overheard other couples arguing with the activities people because what they were promised wasnt what they were deliviring. We ended up getting our free vouchers for a sunset cruise, but after it was all said and done saving that money wasnt worth it, I would of paid the money if I knew they would of wasted 3 hours of my vacation. They have this whole sales pitch down, they hit every single guest and have them lined up early in the morning to do the timeshare presentation.

Other than they ruining 3 hours of my day, the resort was great. Dont get suckered into doing the presentation, 90 minutes is just the walk around the resort and breakfast, then you still have to sit through their sales pitch.

Also, note the resort is on the "no swimming" side of the beach so if you want to go into the ocean you might consider another hotel. We didnt care about swimming in the ocean so the pool was just fine. The service was good and the food was average, what you would expect from most 4 star resorts.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms face the ocean so not sure if there is a bad room, but if you are at the lower l...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I vacationed a Playa Grande from Late July to Early August 2014. The pool was nice and so was the pool bar. The quality of the food was great as well but the service sucked; on several occasions it took me over an hour to get nachos or a refill. The workers other than the bar staff were all seemingly mindless and just wandered around doing their own thing. They Resort charges you a lot of money for all sorts of little things and fees which equal up to several hundreds of dollars over the period of a week...

The FRAUD: since I have left the resort I have been charged 800+ dollars in fraudulent ATM withdraws. While on my trip I went to the store in the main lobby to buy some sunscreen, the girl behind the counter swiped my card and then typed all of my information into a computer. this step in the process is not normal and none of the other employees did that on future purchases. If you fall victim to this you will see small charges on your account typically under 5 dollars. this is the criminals probing attempts to see if the card is active... After that they will take out hundreds of dollars and wait several days to attack again.

So luckily I am getting reimbursed by my bank.

In addition I got bed bugs bad, at first I thought I got Scabies. So that was very uncomfortable for several weeks...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Jonathan P
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Totally found this resort by accident. Playa Grande is a top notch resort with anything you would like to do. There are activities both on and off the resort.

Of course you will hear the stories of the timeshare attacks. There were two "attacks". One as soon as you clear customs. You are asked which resort you are staying so that you can be steered to a different resort. The other is at the resort immediately after check-in. They attempt to get you to sign up for the 1 1/2 presentation, for which I declined. The next morning will going out early for a little exercise, I was accosted as to why I was up early and where I was going. This happened the first couple of days, after which everything was wonderful. Of course if you do not mind, you can receive free dinners, excursions and even cash for attending one of these presentations off resort offered by one of the "outside consultants" located on the harbor.

OK back to Playa Grande. The staff here goes over and beyond to ensure "every" minute of you stay is enjoyable. Since you cannot swim at the beach due to the undertow, hanging out at the pools is very enjoyable. Pool waiters Eduardo Luis, Antonio were especially attententive to our needs for food and drink. Food at the restaurants, whether at Brigatine, Calima or San Puerto were exceptional. San Puerto was especially good. Ernesto and Alexandria made our dinning experiences even better.

I suggest taking the round trip shuttle to/from the airport, no hassles. You really don't need to rent a car unless you plan of travel long distance somewhere.

I will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ric R,
My entire team and I are delighted that you enjoyed an amazing stay during your recent visit and really appreciate knowing that you recognize the devotion everyone puts into constantly caring for our guests, so we can provide a friendly, professional service at all times.
Thank you for taking your time sharing your comments with us!
We look forward to having you back at the resort again in the not too distant future.
Best Regards,
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My girlfriends and I booked this trip to Cabo San Lucas for August. I arrived by myself the first few days and never felt uncomfortable. Maria, the conceirge, arranged my shuttle to meet me at the airport with advice on the airport set-up. I was greeted and checked in by Omar, and led to my room by Jesus. He pointed out the layout of the resort and wrote down a few phone numbers for me. I ate by myself at the resort restaurant Brigantine with little birds keeping me company. The waitstaff was so friendly and courteous. I stayed by the pool the next day with the various activities: table tennis, volleyball, and plenty of food and drinks delivered to my chair...again everyone was friendly. The concierge staff was so helpful, both Noe and Maria. They took special time and attention with our plans and answered our questions. I ventured to the Ridge the next day for another wonderful breakfast with an incredible view...Luis was so attentive and made sure my meal was memorable. He continued to take care of me throughout the week at the Ridge pool, always bringing fresh drinks and I had the BEST ceviche I have ever had anywhere! My friends arrived and we did the Mexican Fiesta...so much FUN! Roberto was the MC and he was hilarious. I hurt my foot during the event and had to go to the resort doctor who was a lovely young lady, fixed me up quickly and sent me back to the Fiesta! She is from the States, and had some great tips for things to do while in Cabo. She checked in on me during the week and gave me the information for my insurance so that I could be reimbursed. The Fiesta, held at the resort on Monday night is a MUST do! The next day we rented a car, again with excellent help from the conceirge, and the car rental was housed there at the resort. They had a car outside the next morning and we went to Flora Farms, where Adam Levine was recently married. It is an Organic Farm with an incredible restaurant. It was about a 40 minute easy drive...very comfortable roads similar to the States. We stopped at a Fresh Coconut Stand and enjoyed the experience. We stopped and shopped in some "artsy" looking stores. Then returned to the resort and left the car outside. We had "Flaming Coffee" prepared by Fransisco as an end to our evening at the resort restaurant Puerto San Lucas. They add ice cream to it and it is a presentation, so prepare for a thirty minute "show"...I won't spoil the surprise, but do it!! The food there, the steaks...just incredible. We also had another incredible meal at Romeo and Juliets, an italian restaurant in town...wonderful fresh salads, breads, the best lasagna. Ricardo waited on us. I was still unsure of the tipping and asked him to tell me what was a fair tip. He refused, but as my friends and I started leaving a five, and some ones and a ten for the tip he stopped us and said "No more! That is enough." I have NEVER been told not to tip anymore on any of my travels.He was so geninue, as are all the people we encountered on our trip. The meal was delicious and Ricardo was very attentive and informed about the wine and the specials. Hector in the Lobby Bar was very attentive and sweet at the end of our evenings. He was quick with the night caps :) The staff was quick with a smile, the Ola's were frequent as well as the Beunas Dias! I LOVED it there and would never hesistate to return my myself if I ever needed a vacation alone. I had a studio room at the Playa Grande side overlooking the pool with an ocen view in the distance. It was beautiful. I had hurt my foot, my own fault, and all the walking really wasn't as bad as other reviews have said. It is a large resort but the journey wherever we were going was pleasant and we always enjoyed the trip. The marina is so close, maybe a ten minute walk. We caught a water taxi one morning for five dollars to Medano Beach. The guys on the boat were funny and kind. Make sure you remember the boat that will pick you up on the return...or you have to pay again. There are lots of boats going back and forth, so pay attention! We had lunch at The Office, which is a neat restuarant right on the beach. They will run you to the Arch for Five Dollars in their own boats. They have a gift shop across the street. We shopped at the Luxury Mall. If you buy something in the mall the password to WIFI is at the bottom of the receipt, so you can bring your devices and catch up on email. We also walked to the Dolphin exhibit, ten minute walk from the resort, and checked in with Cabo Adventures and went on an adventure to ride a camel. So much fun! If you purchase two different adventures at Cabo Adventures (which is in the Dolphin Exhibit) you get a third adventure free. I called directly but my friend booked through the conceirge and saved about twelve dollars. SO wait and book through the resort.We also tried a local restaurant called Las Guacamayas OMG, the food is rock botton prices but so delicious. I suggest the tacos al pastor...but everything was wonderful..stuffed and only maybe five dollars. Roosters are suppose to run about but we didn't see any at night. It is over by Cabo Wabo, one street over...so delicious. Those are a few things we did...but for the most part we stayed at Playa Grande Resort and it was paradise. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: There were three of us in a studio room and it was fine. The pull out was very comfortable for one a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JotandJava
Dear JotandJava,
Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review, which help all the TripAdvisor community to make the right decision when it comes to choosing the ideal resort for your vacation.
We truly appreciate all the positive remarks about our resort and especially about the service, it’s very important to know that we were able to meet your expectations. I will be sure to pass on your comments to my staff as they continue to improve our personalized service.
Thank you again for all your kind comments, we are looking forward to your next visit.
Phoenix
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Lots of activities all the time - whether you want activities at the pool during the day or evening dinner parties - it's a social atmosphere all the way around! Food always great - plenty of options for happy hours at various hotel bars. Laundry services available (self serve or through hotel) - currency changing available at hotel (best rates - easy and convenient).

Room Tip: Personally, we love the rooms that face the ocean and are on the ocean - great views, wonderful to w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Marilizabeth B
Thank you very much for this wonderful review, it’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service and selection of food.
Cordially