“Location, Location, Location!!”

Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Tacoma, Washington
“Location, Location, Location!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

This was my first visit to Cabo San Lucas and the Playa Grande Resort. I traveled with two friends of mine who own a timeshare at Playa and have been going there for ten years. I was told that it would exceed my expectations and it did! Playa Grande is incredible. It was even better than they described. The grounds and rooms are really clean. Ours came with a full size stove, refrigerator and microwave. We had coffee and breakfast outside as we sat on our balcony facing the pool area and the ocean. The views were spectacular !! The pools are nice, they have an adult only pool and although the beach is not swim-able, it is fantastic to walk on and enjoy. There are no vendors that bother you! But, what I really enjoy about Playa Grande is the proximity to town. We walked morning, noon and night between the hotel and town and never had a problem. The walkway leaving the resort deposits you right into the marina area. The marina area was well lit, very clean and always had security everywhere. There were many, many restaurants and bars very close that made the 10-15 minute walk great. They do have a convenience store at Playa, however you will be paying a little more for the convenience.

As for the timeshare issue...What do you expect? Your in Cabo. Do your research and you will find its just a part of "resort Cabo" now. The locals would even tease us about it now and then saying "can we sell you a time share?" then laughing and saying "Just kidding".. So, yes, they do grab you after you check in and this is unavoidable as you have to obtain your 'pool towel cards' from these ladies. Not promoting time shares here, but if you plan, you can take advantage of some great discounts they offer. Just know going in.....set aside a 2-3 hour window (They will tell you 1 1/2 hr) and go to a presentation....at least they feed you a breakfast. And come with some questions about the area to ask the sales person they may have an inside scoop ...But they have their 'pitch' to do, so go threw it and say no if you're not interested. Otherwise, you'll be the only people on the para sails, wave runners, fishing, snorkeling, golf courses, dinner cruise, spa, etc, etc that is paying full price. Or, if you have plenty of money, then just thank them and tell them you'll not be doing a tour this time. That should do the trick. That being said, I'm considering a timeshare now. ;)

So, to sum it up, Playa Grande has a lot to offer for your next vacation. I know I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank edkroupa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

COMPLETE PHOTOS WITH TIPS

The review titled “A wonderful week in Paradise” by BeachBummet830 on Dec 30, 2009 has a great description of this property with which I totally agree. I just want to add my own 2 cents here. First of all, the resort was not as sprawled out as some pictures and some reviews suggest. We were never very far from our room or anything else as there are lined up on each side. There were very few stairs in the inside court, only very gentle slopes to climb except for the approach to the lobby where you need to negotiate a 32 stair staircase or go up a steeper hill. There are elevators in each building unit for upper floors even though we often took to the stairs when in a hurry. Even the outside walk to the nearest street on your way to the marina is very easily negotiable on the way back from town (and I’m 71!). I even saw several people in wheelchairs while I was there. It only takes 6-7 minutes to the nearest point on the Marina but you can spend ½ hour walking to the other end. I did manage to fast walk the whole length from the resort in 15 minutes one day when I had to go to the bank in a hurry.

The numerous staff at the resort is very well trained, all wear uniforms and they are always in a jovial mood except maybe for a few sourly men at the front desk ! We chose to spend our pool/sun time at the bottom of the adult pool nearest to the beach where there is a row of lounge chairs next to the beach wall. It was a relatively quiet area where you could watch and hear the waves and we were always able to find at least one area with shade at various times during the day even if we needed to rearrange the chairs. The water in the pool was crystal clean and we never saw traces of suntan oil reported by others. It was a little cooler, but not overly so, in the morning on certain days especially when you had just been in the hot sun for a long period but your body quickly adapts to it after a couple of minutes. The bar waiters were literally running to serve you and we never waited more than 5 minutes to get our drinks. Not sure about the food as we did not order food there. We mostly ate in our room when onsite after stopping at Walmart on the way in from the airport. We arrived late but Walmart closes at 11:00 p.m. while Costco closes at 9:00 p.m.

We had first thought of renting a car but changed our minds after looking at the insurance cost (more than the rental) but finally took BeachBummette830’s suggestion to use airport shuttles called Baja Ground Services, http://www.bajaonly.com/baja/transfer-rates.htm We got a private service for $38 RT per person because nobody else going to the Playa Grande was using them. We asked the driver to stop at Walmart on the way and we took much longer than expected (45 minutes) as we were not familiar with the layout and some of the products and I had a little problem using the ATM (using then wrong card !!) We apologized and tipped the driver 100 pesos and he seemed to be happy with that. Not only is this service the cheapest for a “semi-private” shuttle, they also gave us 2 certificates for a free bottle of wine at 2 restaurants, another savings of at least $30 ! We used them at the Romeo y Julieta and Galeon restaurants. Just remember you must reserve in advance at least 48 hours before departure online or through their Texas toll-free number. On the return shuttle, their van had a breakdown so they sent a private taxi at their cost to ferry us to the airport, all arranged by the resort doorman who was worried about our well being. He did mention that this was unusual and that they were normally very reliable. We would have had no use for a rental car except if we had decided to visit Todo Santos.

The Romeo y Julieta was a pleasant surprise. My wife had an excellent sea bass (catch of the day) at a regular price of 170 pesos, the “discounted” price quoted at a Marina tourist trap. I wasn’t very hungry, so I thought I’ll just order a pizza. It was one of the best pizza I ever had with the freshest of ingredients cooked just right, enough to make John at Papa John’s jealous ! I noticed several “local” families here, always a good sign.

The Galeon was also an excellent Italian restaurant with a little higher level of sophistication than the Romeo y Julieta, better décor, a better piano and clavertina player called Valentino and a young Mexican waiter by the name of Juan very adept at preparing “flambés” desserts and coffee (they dim the lights for effect). Both restaurants prepared their Ceasar salads at the table. Both offered us a Chilean Cabernet for the free coupon. The manager Fhelix came several times to see how things were going.

We did encounter the horde of timeshare and taxi reps in the airport but followed everyone else’s advice and walked straight out without responding to them or making eye contact despite several Hey, Hey behind our backs. Someone asked what shuttle we were using and I responded “I don’t remember” as he would probably have said he was the one. All shuttle drivers stand OUTSIDE the terminal with big lettered signs with your name on them.

I don’t know if management took heed of the complaints here about solicitation in their lobby but we were almost never accosted except by a very pleasant young lady named Alma at the welcome desk and another one early in the morning asking if we were going to another presentation and when we said no, she immediately retreated. We did eventually attend their presentation in exchange for a $100 spa gift certificate and I found out their sales prices are the lowest of any presentation we have ever attended. We were greeted by a pleasant young Australian by the name of Ash and a very funny and gregarious Philly raised Mexican by the name of Johnny.

The resort seems very attentive to their clients’ desires and seems to listen to comments and complaints as seen by the recent responses to comments on Trip Advisor. This is why I don’t understand why they do not resolve the wireless Internet problem which does not work in the rooms and is relatively costly and is generation so many complaints. It would be a simple process to install routers in the Brigantine restaurant or other central locations to satisfy everyone. The rates could also be lowered to allow more time per package or make it free if you don’t use the business center.

When we registered late (no lineup), we were asked for our credit card as happens as all hotels when you check in. However we were then asked to sign a blank voucher which could be filled in with any amount upon our departure. Taking heed of the comments here, we refused and had them “cancel” the Credit card. The only inconvenience is that you have to pay by credit card at the bars and restaurants (but not in the business center where we paid cash). This did not bother us as we only used the bar once and did not eat in their restaurants. We did manage to “smuggle” beer to the pool in our remote area and used plastic gobblers we brought with us following someone else’s suggestion.

We were first given a ground floor room with no view. We asked and gor upgraded to a 5th floor room on the second day with a great view of the ocean. You can<t see the sunset though from the resort as it sets behind e high ridge.

My wife used the spa and reported it was probably the best she had ever used. They are only one of two in Mexico using the French Thalassotherapie method. It is a little pricey though.

Someone didn’t like the appearance of the resort but we enjoyed it. It is very colorful and uses the typical colors of the Southwest USA.

We visited the Ridge by just following someone on the elevator. (You can get a day pass at the lobby also.) They had a nice infinity pool and a slide but we found it noisy and crowded.

We took a sunset cruise on the Caborey which is a large Catamaran and very stable. It wasn’t crowded on the Wednesday we took it. It goes past the famous Arch where it idles for half an hour while people take pictures. The food was OK especially the Sushi which goes fast. The cruise ends with a typical Mexican show which was just the right length of time before we got back to port. The cruise is normally $45 but if you buy your ticket at the kiosk in the Marina just in front of the large pier where the boat leaves, you can get it for $30. You just need to say you heard the attendant hawk it for $30 in the morning and he will let you have it at that price. And he is quite talkative….

I’ll post a few photos here but you can find a full portfolio on Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/117712676091592712058/PlayaGrandeCaboSanLucasMexicoOctober2010?feat=directlink

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AZFrequent_Traveler
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

Playa Grande is a beautiful, well maintained resort right on the Pacific, although swimming there is prohibited due to the undertow and waves. There are 5 gorgeous pools. Our room was not as cool as we would have liked it! They have temperature set on 78 degrees. My sister's room was pleasant, so apparantely, some rooms are cool. We just kept our curtains closed, which did not allow us to view the beautiful pools/grounds except later in the evening. We didn't stay in the room much anyway, so it was okay. As soon as you walk in, you are approached by the timeshare people, so you have to say "No" and walk on. The airport was the worst to be approached by "sellers". We took Cape Travel Transportation to the hotel....$90 for 6 people. We took a shuttle back which was $34 for 2. Conceirge's arranged all of this. We did not have a car and the walk to town/marina area was not far, just hot in September! You were accosted by MANY people wanting to sell something, so a taxi to town would have avoided that! We ate breakfast at Mama's Cafe in Los Cabo, which was excellent. The pool side restaraunt at the Resort was good also. Bellhops were very attentive and so polite. We were disappointed that we were told that our 3 rooms would be close together, but when we got there, they were not and they offered to see if rooms would become available in the same building after a day or two, but once settled, we stayed put! Senor' Frog Shop at the Marina was a great place to buy stuff--prices were cheaper there than at the little flea markets, although you miss the experience of bargaining there.:) We did go to the Mexican Fiesta at the Resort and it was entertaining....and they kept you supplied with drinks if you wanted them. Resort did not have free high speed internet and we had to pay $3.50 for 30 minutes or $12 a day....and the service was not good except in the lobby or outside, so don't count on using it very well in your room. The resort was away from the action of a busy beach and crowds (no peddling), but we loved that. Will return a more informed traveler to Los Cabos and Playa Grande.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sbmjam
Moore, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

The resort itself is huge. If you are handicapped in anyway physcially be aware that getting around this resort requires a lot of walking. The good news is that there are ramps that can be utilized if you are in a wheelchair, but they do tend to be steep. My friends and I stayed in a one bedroom master suite with 2 bathrooms. The one bedroom had a king size bed a pull out cot and a sofa sleeper. I slept on the sofa sleeper which was surprisingly comfortable. The pools were nice especially the adults only pool. There was a "family" pool especially for the kid's and lots of stuff for kids to do. The pool loungers were in fairly good shape as well as the umbrella's but be advised get there early to reserve your "spot". The spa was fantastic although they tend to leave you to long in the "relaxation" room before coming to get you for your "treatment". The food at the resort was about average and it was a bit overpriced in my opinion. The service at the speciality restaurants was a little slow in between courses. Most of the waiters speak decent English so communicating with them is fairly easy. The food at the pool is mostly burgers, tacos and nachos. The service for the pool does need to be better; it doesn't take 35 minutes to make a burger and serve it. When it comes to cleanliness of the resort as a whole and your rooms they go all out. There is not a speck of dirt that can be found in your condo; they even mop the balcony every day! Be carefull about bringing your "own drinks" or "food" to the pool; because the pool police will tell you not to do that. Even if you add a gratuity to your bill when it comes to pool service they will automatically add in a gratuity too so watch that bottom line. The check in process to way to long for my tastes we had to stand in line for 30 minutes before anybody would check us in and there were plenty of people staffed at the front desk. The resort has different "theme parties" every day which are fun and a great way to get to know people. But again on the whole service issue the waiters need to undergo better training and learn to circulate all over the party not just the central tables. Cab rides into town are quick and easy and run anywhere from $6-$10 depending on where you are going. Be sure to go to Wal-Mart and get food to stock your condo and Wal-Mart is not 24 hours in Cabo it's only open until 10pm. The concierege people and the bell desk are really nice and helpful and once they get to know you they're always looking at for you. Be carefull about leaving clothes on you balcony or displaying any kind of flag with your favorite team colors; they made me take my OU Flag down on the 3rd day. Also be sure to put your do-not-disturb sign on the door and use the towel card to keep you air-conditioner running otherwise the maids will be knocking on your door at 9am sharp! All in all a great place to stay, a good experience. I will go back again I just won't be eating at their restuarants or drinking much of their alcohol. I give this place a B+ or on a scale of 1-10 it deserves an 8.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank rocknrollgal
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

As soon as we got there, we were greeted by the concierge and were upgraded from a studio to a 1 bedroom suite. They also told us that we could use any of the amenities of the ajoining hotel/timeshare (forgot the name) but it didnt seem to us that it was any different. We did take part in a tour of the ajoining property. You had to get your pool card for towels from the time share people and were asked if you were interested in signing up for a three hour morning or afternoon orientation. Since my boyfriend and I had never done it and were looking forward to a free parasailing ride, we went ahead and signed up for the morning session. The room we had was in the center of the property, overlooking the pools and the ocean. We loved our view and at night went to sleep hearing the waves crashing. The room was great - full kitchen, kitchen table, living room. The kitchen utensils were a little dull so if you are serious about cooking, you might want to bring your own knives in your checked luggage. Happy hour at the pool was in the late afternoon/early evening and everything was half off. Try the monkey - its a drink made of creamy banana, chocolate, and kahlua and its icy - perfect for lounging by the pool! We didn't have any of the food there and preferred to get out and walk into town (10 min walk). The timeshare presentation took forever! and it was easy to get sucked in with all of the confusing financials! So if you're not interested in really getting a place, hold your ground and keep saying no until you get your free pass for something to do in cabo. We picked parasailing and it was a lot of fun. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wishc0uldtravelm0re
Haymarket, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

The open concept design of this resort that offers style without stiffness provides an environment of plush comfort and confidence in the price spent to acquire the stay.
The rotunda within the lobby adds an aire of excellence and the palm laiden huge pools with Pacific blue ocean views is spectacular. The resort offers a VIP section up high called The Ridge. We enjoyed this area as well with it's private adult pool, calm environment, expanded ocean views and small wait staff to cater to our needs.
We enjoyed one of the extremely spacious two bedroom units that offers three complete bathrooms and multiple couches as well as extended balcony space with views ot either the downtown marina area or the Pacific ocean and the golden sand private 1 mile long beach. Luxury, excellence, unique design with space, grandeur, and spanish style all provide an wonderful atmosphere of sophistication and relaxation to warm the heart along with your skin.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GottagoGottago
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

I have stayed at Playa Grande several times and it is never a disappointment. The service is amazing - everybody is so friendly and willing to accomodate you no matter what. The rooms are very nice and clean. Going to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing at night is heavenly. The location is great if you don't want to be in the center of the party scene. It's very quiet, yet just a short walk or cab ride to town if you do want to party all night. I loved the location near the harbor and the peace and tranquility of the resort. What I liked least and always like least, is having to leave!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple