“just what I needed”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Playa Grande is a wonderful hotel in a wonderful location. You will enjoy your stay at this resort, gauranteed.
The staff is there to make you comfortable and relaxed.
The pools are clean,the grounds are very well maintained as are the rooms.

A few notes-Sushi is ok, slow service. Breakfast was wonderful! The gym is great and I was very impressed with the equipment. The staff is fantastic all over the resort! The timeshare thing...wasn't all that bad.
Negatives- No wake up call when requested, and drinks are super expensive. Also, there is a lot of noise from rooms above. Not sure if i just had noisy neighbors. People next door were smoking pot, and the lock on my door to balcony didn't work. I did complain, nothing was done.
I would however recommend this hotel and return,. Wasn't quite sure about the "tax or charge" on my room daily....but it wasn't so much that I wanted to complain. Propina (tip) I gather was for the room maid. She did a great job, so she deserved it!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,926)

Reviewed 30 November 2010

My wife and I spent our honeymoon here and it was great! Friendly staff, clean rooms, happy hour everyday, and excellent spa on-site. Hotel is within easy walking distance to downtown and we felt safe walking around even in the evenings. Cannot swim on the beach in front of the hotel but lovers beach is close by. Highly recommend eating your meals downtown instead of at the hotel. We only ate at the hotel once all week. Great food in town.

Reviewed 28 November 2010

Completely amazed at the beauty of this place. The views of the beach from the balcony were perfect. Room 2131 is away from the pools so it was great not to hear all the action yet it is close enough to enjoy them with a 1 minute walk. The master bedroom was big including a well equipped, yet luxurious master bath. We were supposed to have a studio but were switched to a one bedroom, thanks Playa!
We took my 16 year old daughter who enjoyed her own bathroom. She also was able to meet other teens at the beach party (I highly recommend to attend it). We were able to enjoy spending time there and without worrying about her safety. Since the location is set on a private beach only invited guests were at the property.
I also enjoyed the kitchen since I had groceries delivered from whereincabos.com (which I would also recommend to first time visitors to Cabo) so I could cook most of our meals. Yes, I am on vacation but do enjoy cooking for my family, including a Thanksgiving Dinner. Four burner stove, microwave, coffee maker and plenty of pots and pans were included the only thing I would suggest would be knives for chopping and possibly a spatula.
Location, Location, Location.....easy 10 minute walk to the Arch, yet you can't really enjoy the beauty of Lover's Beach without a boat ride. Easier 5 minute walk to the Marina, which we did daily, to get souvenirs, ice cream, beer, etc...Walking in Cabo is safe, we enjoyed being downtown/marina area which is why Playa is so great, you do not need a taxi.
Being that I am part of RCI, I can only exchange every 4 years......so I can't wait to go back (3 years and 51 weeks to go)!

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jenniferdeanb
Reviewed 24 November 2010

The Ridge was fantastic. The villas are beautiful and modern with amazing views. The adults only pool was just perfect, Violeta took great care of us and made our experience wonderful. The entire Ridge staff was very warm and helpful!

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank travelgirl6877
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My partner and I loved our trip to Playa Grande Resort. The food, the accomodations, the staff, and the views were all amazing.

There are two negatives. One is that you can't get into the ocean even though the resort is on the beach. The riptides are deadly and we personally experienced it ourselves as we walked in the surf. A small wave rushed up to our ankles and knocked both of us down (two athletic men in our late 30s). The second negative is the exclusive part of the resort called The Ridge. We had originally reserved a room in The Ridge, but when we got there we were sorely disappointed. The room was on the lowest level of that part of the hotel and overlooked a parking lot and busy street. The room was dark and not at all nice.

We went back to the front desk and asked to have another room. This is when the resort really started to shine for us. The woman behind the counter, Jazmin, was so sweet, gracious and nice that we were stunned. Usually when you complain about a room, the front desk is not very accomodating. The exact opposite happened. Jazmin gave us three rooms in the main resort to choose from. The bellman who was helping us drove us to the various buildings and showed us the rooms. He explained that no one ever likes The Ridge's lower rooms and that everyone always moves to the main resort.

This service experience was consistent over the 10 days we were there. Every service person was nice, friendly, thoughtful and went out of their way to help us. The servers by the pool were all terrific, especially our friends Ines and Julio. Both of them took great care of us every day.

We quickly chose a room (2524) that was perfect! It was bright and airy with a south-east exposure, so there was direct sun on the balcony during the morning but not in the afternoon. The hotel has no neighbor on the west so we just opened our room door and watched the sunset from the open air hallway. The room itself was a good size with a kitchen, dining room and living area. We rented a DVD player from the hotel ($8/day I think) and rented a few DVDs ($3). The bedroom is large with ample closet space. The two bathrooms were a nice touch, too.

We never really left the resort because everything was so good that it seemed unneccessary. We spent 9 nights there, cooking a few but mostly going to the restaurants on the resort. Brigantine was delicious, as was the restaurant near the pool (Calima, I think). I would NOT recommend the fiesta, however. Think of it as a Mexican version of a bad Hawaiian luau -- terrible food (but plenty of it), weak drinks, bland entertainment and a very high price point.

Do yourself a favor and order the shrimp quesadillas. They were amazing! We ate them at least once a day. The shrimp is so sweet and tender that we've never had anything like it. All the seafood in the resort was fresh and perfectly prepared.

We would recommend going if you want a relaxed, beautiful place with a beautiful pool and terrific service. Do not come if you're looking for a party, though, since it's a mostly older and quieter crowd.

2  Thank Brian_Jordan
Reviewed 9 November 2010

This was my second time to Playa Grande and it was just as wonderful as my first trip. The resort is kept up with nicely, I felt reasonably safe and secure there and the staff is extremely friendly and responsive. The location is perfect right at the end of the peninsula. It was an easy walk into town and it was right on the beach with prime views of sunset and sunrise.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AgentBadgerQ
Reviewed 31 October 2010

We wouldn't stay anywhere else and would go back to this resort year after year. The location and scenery is simply spectacular. You are just a five minute walk to the marina, the town, and the water taxis to the beach but feel like you are a world away when you are in Playa Grande. The hotel itself is simply gorgeous and the views spectacular. The beach is not swimmable but it is dramatically beautiful and enchanting to walk on. We were happy to hang out at one of the four pools when we were not at Medano beach, scuba diving, or doing other watersports. We went up to the Ridge pool and jacuzzi, which offers unparalled views of the Pacific and the marina. We passed by a lot of other hotels when we were on the bus to go ziplining and we were really happy we weren't staying way out of town. There are some amazing hotels in Cabo, but we are so happy we picked Playa Grande.

1  Thank pickycustomer81